What are some amazing things to do in Disney that are not well known?

If you stay at the Poly, look at the daily schedule for the lighting ceremony. Every night, they have a Polynesian fire-twirling gorgeous man do a dance with drums, etc. before lighting all the torches outside at dusk. The kids were amazed at his fire dance and gave the hotel a real authentic feel. Do not miss!

This description is perfect! What a pleasant surprise we got one night while going to dinner at Kona. That man was indeed, GORGEOUS!

The campfire/movie at Fort Wilderness is always a great time. The only cost is the marshmallows, which you can buy at the general store, if I recall. After a few crazy nights at the park, I find this to be a great break from the craziness.

We love to watch the MK fireworks from the roof of the Contemporary. You can go up on the 15th floor and there are 2 observation decks. Either that, or go out the side door on the Concourse level and watch from there. You get a whole different perspective watching from a distance like that.

To get up to the 15th floor now requires a reservation at California Grill. The concourse should still be open though. Eating at CG is a treat and something we have to do every trip. Love the food and the view fireworks or not.

Got for a Pony or Horse ride at Fort Wilderness for the kids. We knew you could do this and one day leaving MK a Fort Wilderness boat docked. DW looked at each other and asked the kids if they want to go on a pony and a boat ride. :) They said yes so off we went. The boat ride was very relaxing. The kids fell asleep on the way over and the return trip.

Illuminations or Wishes Cruise. Expensive but worth it.

We almost did the Animation Show last trip. My youngest and I stumbled across it and waited for 10 minutes. Then she had to go to the bathroom so we missed it. Its on our Must Do List for next trip.

The tour at the Land Pavillion the DW and I did in the late 90s. Excellent.

I want to do the EPCOT and Ft. Wilderness tour on the Segway one day.

Pick a Pearl when the kids get older.

Dole Whips. :rotfl:

Club Cool is just way cool. Its a tradition to stop there and I don't like sodas. :lmao:

Watching the animals at AKL. There are lots of out of the way places to see the critters at the resort. You see more animals at the lodge than on the Safari ride at AK.

Go to to Tom Sayer's Island to find a paint brush early in the morning. Explore all three tunnels on the island.

Find all of the trolls in Norway. :wizard:

Talk to the CMs! Nicely! They can be really interesting. We had a wonderful 10 minute chat with a landscaper in AK one morning. Very interesting to talk to her. Everyone else was just running buy to catch the train. We stopped and chatted with her. It made our day and I think hers. We have had some bad CM interactions. The CMs can really make or break a day. Thankfully the vast majority are wonderful.

Do not be in a hurry. Slow down. LOOK around. Have fun. Sometimes you got to hurry at rope drop to get a FP but other than that we just mosey around. Watch the kids in the play areas if that is what they want to do. :thumbsup2

Later,
Dan

I just LOVE that carriage neckalce! Can that be bought in Japan also? If not, please tell me where you got it on ebay. It is just perfect for what I am looking for! Thank you for posting.

I got the pumpkin carriages off ebay. The store in Epcot didn't have anything that looked "Disney". I had mentioned that to them - and theys aid they couldn't have Disney items, as they are actually owned by a Japanese company.

I don't think you are allowed to post links. But the ebay store is cjs jewelry designs on ebay.

Now the downside of the pumpkin coach was that it didn't hold a big pearl. One of my DDs got a pink pearl, but it didn't fit well - so she used to to make my father's tie tac (her gift to him for Christmas). Thankfully she was still happy as she loved the coach.

They really are cute though.

If you have a car, and have interest in science, go to the Team Disney building. This is across Buena Vista Drive from Planet Hollywood. Tell security that you want to see the Sundial. You can then go inside the world's largest operating (and accurate) sundial.

If you have a car, and have interest in science, go to the Team Disney building. This is across Buena Vista Drive from Planet Hollywood. Tell security that you want to see the Sundial. You can then go inside the world's largest operating (and accurate) sundial.

This reminded me of another.

There are some "backstage" areas on property that are accessible by the public. Besides Team Disney, another is Disney University. Follow the road past the Contemporary. You will pass the monorail depot building which is a neat sight. You'll pass a couple of other buildings including the one where they store all the holiday stuff. Park at Disney University and go in and walk around. Last time I was there, there were all kinds of neat displays in the lobby and halls, a bunch of awards that have been received over the years. You can probably pick up a copy of Eyes and Ears, the cast member newspaper. And you can browse in Company D, the cast member store - but you can't buy anything. You must show cast ID to make a purchase.

BTW, you will enjoy Team Disney even if you don't care about the sundial. The building was designed by I.M Pei, a famous architect. It is worth seeing up close.

I got the pumpkin carriages off ebay. The store in Epcot didn't have anything that looked "Disney". I had mentioned that to them - and theys aid they couldn't have Disney items, as they are actually owned by a Japanese company.

I don't think you are allowed to post links. But the ebay store is cjs jewelry designs on ebay.

Now the downside of the pumpkin coach was that it didn't hold a big pearl. One of my DDs got a pink pearl, but it didn't fit well - so she used to to make my father's tie tac (her gift to him for Christmas). Thankfully she was still happy as she loved the coach.

I can't find this store on ebay :sad1: and I want to order one of these really bad for my dd for our upcoming trip. Was it a long time ago that you ordered from that store? I wonder if it no longer exists? :confused3 Maybe you could send me a pm with the link to it?? I would be forever grateful!! :worship: TIA!

i can't find this store on ebay :sad1: And i want to order one of these really bad for my dd for our upcoming trip. Was it a long time ago that you ordered from that store? I wonder if it no longer exists? :confused3 maybe you could send me a pm with the link to it?? I would be forever grateful!! :worship: Tia!

me too!!

Thanks! I ordered 2 tonight!!! Can't wait to get them!:wizard:

We love to do the Animation Academy at DHS. we have done it several times and have drawn Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Jack Skellington, Pooh and Pluto. There is not cost or age limit on this. I have carefully brought them home and have them framed in our "Disney Room". We also love the Campfire at Fort Wilderness. It is really fun to do S'mores and watch the movie. Have a great trip!

I can't find this store on ebay :sad1: and I want to order one of these really bad for my dd for our upcoming trip. Was it a long time ago that you ordered from that store? I wonder if it no longer exists? :confused3 Maybe you could send me a pm with the link to it?? I would be forever grateful!! :worship: TIA!

I had a very hard time finding them too. Type in "cage carriage" and it will come up. I searched for 2 hours before I found it. Good luck!

Ah..I'm WAY too late, but I've always felt the Magic of WDW is discovering some of these things for yourself.... Also, keep in mind that many of these things change over time. Please don't ruin the magic!!

the more well known these things become, the more quickly they will disappear.

Seriously, it used to be that the CM's would ASK GUESTS if they wanted to ride the front of the monorail. Now, you often see a line (Or at least you did on my last visit, not sure if they recently stopped doing this.)

Another time, how do I say this one....A girl was ina store, her mom was asking about a special item. the girl did not want any part of it, but mom was making her becasue she had obviously heard about this special thing on the internet. It was so sad. And it was very early inthe am, I knew about this thign, but that wasn't why I was there. Mom had obviously made a beeline for this item.

The magic was SO RUINED. Please don't ruin the magic!:wizard:

The wonderful fountains.. not really a secret, but definitely something to sit down for a minute to enjoy.
Swimming with the sharks at Typhoon Lagoon
The Chinese acrobats in the China Pavillion - amazing
Looking for the "Hidden Mickeys"
Story time with Belle. ( I think they still do this) near the castle.
bibbidy boppity boutique.

Beautiful necklace... So did you just bring the loose pearl home and have it set? Or will they set it for you in jewlery you bring from home?

Not sure how many of these are still available, but...

Electric water pageant around the lake at MK- goes by Contemporary, Poly, GF, Fort Wilderness every night, free.

High tea at the GF (NOT the wonderland tea party); pricy but fun and refreshing.

Get your hair gelled/sparkled at the barbershop at MK.

Behind the Seeds tour in the Land pavillion at Epcot.

Ride the train all the way around the MK. It's a great way to give your feet a rest while still "doing" Magic Kingdom.

Do the picnic lunch at AK. We took ours back to the resort and ate there- actually nicer than eating in the park, and we were headed for an afternoon at the pool anyhow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter