Westjet At IT AGAIN

Our flight to Orlando from Saskatoon at the end of January has now changed twice. Not only time changes, but date changes. Makes it tough to schedule hotel rooms, especially with the low inventory.

We fly out of YYC on December 25 with Westjet to Cancun. No changes to our flights SO FAR.

Got notice this weeks that our flights between YYJ/YVR- SNA in February 2022 were changed again. Nothing too problematic but it does create anxiety that they will keep making changes and there will be a point where we can't roll with it.

Our direct flight home from Miami to Toronto at the end of our March break cruise was cancelled and we were rebooked the same flight for the next day.

I decided to lean into it - I had already planned a 2 day buffer so now we have three days in Miami. So booked a great airbnb with beach access and a pool. And there will be zero stress over Covid tests for the flight home.

I realize this would not be as easy a solution for those with less workplace flexibility or on tight budgets. And I am hoping this is the last major change. Time of day I can deal with, but moving me to a whole different day has real planning implications.

Our Feb Hawaii flights have been changed multiple times and our layovers on both ways now have 8 hour layovers that were once 2 hours

I booked with WJ for February for the Princess half marathon. Flying in Friday and out Monday... we were on a 8:00pm flight that was canceled and rebooked for the 1:50pm flight. That is 6hrs less time in Disney on an already short trip :(

Our direct flight home from Miami to Toronto at the end of our March break cruise was cancelled and we were rebooked the same flight for the next day.

I decided to lean into it - I had already planned a 2 day buffer so now we have three days in Miami. So booked a great airbnb with beach access and a pool. And there will be zero stress over Covid tests for the flight home.

I realize this would not be as easy a solution for those with less workplace flexibility or on tight budgets. And I am hoping this is the last major change. Time of day I can deal with, but moving me to a whole different day has real planning implications.

We were on the same flight March 19th. Decided not to lean in to it and called WJ (well got a call back from WJ). Moved our reservation to the direct flight coming back from FLL on the 19th instead. Avoids the added expense of another day. Best of all our cruise is out of Port Everglades so it is a 10 min drive to the airport so it actually saves us money on the transfer back to Miami.

I booked with WJ for February for the Princess half marathon. Flying in Friday and out Monday... we were on a 8:00pm flight that was canceled and rebooked for the 1:50pm flight. That is 6hrs less time in Disney on an already short trip :(

We’re on that same combo of flights a couple weekends earlier. We did it intentionally, though, so our trip is under 72 hours and there’s no return testing requirement. Don’t think of it as less Disney time, think of it as less testing time…. ;-)

We just switched things around so we are doing a ton of short trips instead of a couple of longer ones. Means we can scrap the rental cars (mainly used to get to Walgreens) and since we have a ton of WJ travel bank from the last couple of years we aren’t really shelling out any extra for more flights. DH hates the testing, so whatever we can do to avoid it is fine by him. And I’ll happily go to Disney for a shorter trip if it means going every month or two instead of only a couple times a year.

I’m hoping for the best, but decided to book with WJ for our trip to Disney for the end of January.
The experience already hasn’t been great. Because my son will be turning 2 during the trip, their website would not let me purchase a seat for him. But I also couldn’t book him as a lap infant because he’ll be 2 for the return trip. So after over 4 hours on the phone, I was finally able to book it.
I’m hoping that the worse we’ll have to deal with. I really like the flight times (early morning departure, early afternoon return), so I hope they don’t mess around too much with it.

We were on the same flight March 19th. Decided not to lean in to it and called WJ (well got a call back from WJ). Moved our reservation to the direct flight coming back from FLL on the 19th instead. Avoids the added expense of another day. Best of all our cruise is out of Port Everglades so it is a 10 min drive to the airport so it actually saves us money on the transfer back to Miami.

Count us in as another family for whom a change was made without any notification.

Our connecting flight from Vancouver to Calgary after overnighting back from Honolulu was bumped up an hour. Not a big deal (I'm hoping we can get our luggage, clear customs and make it to the next flight in 90 mins instead of 150 mins), but what is a big deal is that WJ never bothered to let us know.

My daughter's friend who is joining us received a change notice over email, but it wasn't until her mom emailed me to make sure that we were all still on the same flights, that I would have known to log into my WJ account to see that the change had been made. It's been over two weeks now, so I'm just going to assume that notification is not coming.

I received an email stating changes to my April flight to San Diego. I scheduled a call back with WestJet and the earliest was 6 days later. Received the call exactly when I was supposed to. I wanted my money back for a cancelled flight that was scheduled 2 days later than original booking. Since I was on a cruise that left the next day of my original flight, it was not acceptable. I was told they would only credit the flights to a travel bank. I said that it was unacceptable and I want my credit card refunded as they cancelled the flight not me. The agent said she was not authorized to give refunds and if I wanted I could speak to a supervisor but the wait was at least 85 minutes. I accepted the challenge! I was on the phone waiting for 3.5 hours for the supervisor that never came. The agent finally gave in and gave me a refund. She would come back on the phone every 30 minutes or so asking me if I still wanted to hold. I said that I was this far in and I’m waiting for a supervisor. I think she thought that I would give in and accept a refund to a travel bank.

The agent said she was not authorized to give refunds and if I wanted I could speak to a supervisor but the wait was at least 85 minutes. I accepted the challenge! I was on the phone waiting for 3.5 hours for the supervisor that never came. The agent finally gave in and gave me a refund. She would come back on the phone every 30 minutes or so asking me if I still wanted to hold. I said that I was this far in and I’m waiting for a supervisor. I think she thought that I would give in and accept a refund to a travel bank.
I think they underestimate how their business motives are ticking people off. NO...I will not accept the credit...I WANT A REFUND!!!

As a capricorn, I also would have sat on the line until I got my refund. When my stubborness kicks in watch out :rotfl: Ask dh and kids what happens :laughing:

Edited to add....I'm glad you got the refund! We shouldn't have to dish out that money then get a credit!!!!!!

I think they underestimate how their business motives are ticking people off. NO...I will not accept the credit...I WANT A REFUND!!!

As a capricorn, I also would have sat on the line until I got my refund. When my stubborness kicks in watch out :rotfl: Ask dh and kids what happens :laughing:

Edited to add....I'm glad you got the refund! We shouldn't have to dish out that money then get a credit!!!!!!
You sound a lot like me! :hyper:

No way was I going to settle for a travel credit! It took time, patience and a whole lotta niceness but in the end I got what I wanted.

Our direct return flight from LAX to YYZ last Saturday was changed to one with a short layover in Calgary. Called and was switched to the direct on Sunday (figured a day more in sunny California was better than what would likely be an airport hotel.) Woke up at 7:30 on Sunday for our 1:00 flight and it was cancelled! We were booked on a connecting flight THE NEXT DAY in the evening, meaning an overnight in Vancouver.

We extended our hotel after 4 hrs on hold wth no answer and then were disconnected. Then waited another 3-4 on hold (this time by the pool with a margarita, highly recommend) and got on the direct on Sunday. Thankfully that one wasn’t cancelled.

Our larger concern wasn’t the extra day and costs, but the PCR test for return as it would be outside the 72 hr window.Thankfully the agent on the phone confirmed it would be honoured. Ironically enough, no one asked for it, and we are home safe and sound.

Posting to say: have a backup plan. We had medical insurance but not cancellation as I booked with our credit from a cancelled flight in Janaury (so wasn’t sure if Amex would honour the interruption as the original flight were booked on Amex, but then it was a credit, so confusing.) Filed for compensation through westjet and we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Our flights for January have been switched twice. First it was to swap our connection, then we lost a day. Spent almost 7 hours on hold only to tweet out my aggressions and a rep got it all resolved in 15 minutes via Twitter DMs. Guess I should've tried that first, but I just left the phone on speaker and worked to the hold music. 😂

No additional changes yet. *fingers crossed* We're so close now, I don't want to have to rearrange everything again.

Heads up — I just had 3 flights for June changed in my WJ app this morning. One was just a few minutes, no biggie. One decently changed but still can make it work. And the other outright cancelled; now to figure out an alternative. And of course after I booked them a couple of weeks ago all at very good pricing.

Omg! They switched our flight home without a heads up?! Supposed to come home may 7 but they now have us leaving may 6 and and overnight in Toronto?! Omg. Just happened to check the app and saw this. This is awful news.

does anyone have experience with them changing it to an overnight? Like we would get to Toronto at 9pm and leave at noon the next day. Would we have luck at least getting an airport hotel voucher for a free night stay? Uggh.

Last edited:
Omg! They switched our flight home without a heads up?! Supposed to come home may 7 but they now have us leaving may 6 and and overnight in Toronto?! Omg. Just happened to check the app and saw this. This is awful news.

does anyone have experience with them changing it to an overnight? Like we would get to Toronto at 9pm and leave at noon the next day. Would we have luck at least getting an airport hotel voucher for a free night stay? Uggh.
It's worth asking but if it were me, I'd rather find a flight I liked better and call requesting the change. Do your own research on the website in advance so you are telling them, not asking them, about alternatives.

It's worth asking but if it were me, I'd rather find a flight I liked better and call requesting the change. Do your own research on the website in advance so you are telling them, not asking them, about alternatives.
They totally cancelled the one flight, onl alternative that whole week now is an overnight in Toronto :( I guess since a slower time? If we were going for Easter those flights are still good. Argh! Maybe if anything we can leave a day earlier now to make up for lost time…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter