Tropical Storm Erika

Well folks we are getting a little clearing track now. Sa of this morning, the storm is tracking a bit more to the east and arching north toward Georgia and the Carolinas. This would mean any vessel leaving PC would likely head south. However if the storm moves slow enough, it is possible to go east and then south. Of course St Thomas, St Martin and San Juan are right in the track and will have some damage even if this is still a Tropical storm. Anyone want to flip a coin?

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2015/tropical-storm-Erika?map=5day&MR=1

We will have to see that the evening track looks like.

AKK

Well folks we are getting a little clearing track now. Sa of this morning, the storm is tracking a bit more to the east and arching north toward Georgia and the Carolinas. This would mean any vessel leaving PC would likely head south. However if the storm moves slow enough, it is possible to go east and then south. Of course St Thomas, St Martin and San Juan are right in the track and will have some damage even if this is still a Tropical storm. Anyone want to flip a coin?

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2015/tropical-storm-Erika?map=5day&MR=1

We will have to see that the evening track looks like.

AKK
Think the 7 night Eastern will be a 7 night western to be safe and have a more enjoyable cruise.

Is that "trip to nowhere" law in place yet? Heh.

I think this law is only enforceable on scheduled trips so I think if a ship couldn't land due to weather problems it wouldn't be penalised but not 100% sure.

Back in 2004, DCL canceled a Wonder cruise when they got so far behind they were early for the next trip due to the 4 hurricanes that hit Florida in a short period of time.
This was after they shortened cruises trying to get the ships back into their normal routines.

We were on one of the first ones after this and getting any information on anything was really hard to be fair. They made the final decisions about the cruises litterally 24 hours before they went so it was just a matter of being patient and rining on that last day to confirm. The cruise itself was lovely and we had no bad weather at all but I can sympathise with the stress of this. I too cruise in hurricane season and it is just a gamble. DCL however (as with most cruise lines) do their best to keep guest safe while making their experience enjoyable. Fingers crossed this one doesn't interfeer too much!

If you have a 7-night cruise and they change your Eastern Carib to a Western Carib itinerary or vice-versa, do they announce it once you are on board? Do they have signs posted in the terminal?

If you have a 7-night cruise and they change your Eastern Carib to a Western Carib itinerary or vice-versa, do they announce it once you are on board? Do they have signs posted in the terminal?

They have been known to announce a change like eastern to western, or vice versa, on Friday or Saturday. It is my understanding if they make that type of change, guest services kick in to help passengers with booking excursion in the western ports. The eastern port excursions I believe will automatically by canceled and not charged to the guests. If its a none DCL excursion, I believe those are cancelled as well, but I am not sure on that.

AKK

I'm going on the fantasy on Saturday. My question is, and hopefully someone can help me, the Eastern itinerary is more expensive than the western. Does Disney monetarily compensate you in some way for the change? Thanks!

I'm going on the fantasy on Saturday. My question is, and hopefully someone can help me, the Eastern itinerary is more expensive than the western. Does Disney monetarily compensate you in some way for the change? Thanks!

I am sorry, but that one is likely going to be a *call to DCL question and answer*!

Anyone else???

AKK

Do you mean for port excursions? Disney won't change your fare price. I might be misunderstanding the question.

We were on a cruise that switched and we weren't given any compensation or price differential.

I believe the cruise contract basically says that they have the right to do just about anything and not have to compensate you.

If I were sailing the 7 night fantasy I wouldn't be too worried. They can switch ports and still have a nice trip.
I would be getting really nervous if I were on the dream arriving back to PC on Monday or departing on Monday. That looks like it may be the most affected, esp the 4 night departure.

They can change ports of call at any time and for your safety they will not make up any difference no refunds etc, sorry.

I would be getting really nervous if I were on the dream arriving back to PC on Monday or departing on Monday. That looks like it may be the most affected, esp the 4 night departure.

Agreed. It is looking very possible that the 3 night weekend cruise on the Dream could turn into a 4 nighter. That happened to me back in 2004 on a Royal ship when Hurricane Wilma hit. We ended up with an extra day at sea because of the storm (if I recall correctly, the Port of Miami lost power). When we finally got off the ship late on Tuesday morning, we were greeted by many long faces of people who had unfortunately lost one of their days and were anxiously (and patiently) waiting to finally board their cruise. That was kind of awkward.

Agreed. It is looking very possible that the 3 night weekend cruise on the Dream could turn into a 4 nighter. That happened to me back in 2004 on a Royal ship when Hurricane Wilma hit. We ended up with an extra day at sea because of the storm (if I recall correctly, the Port of Miami lost power). When we finally got off the ship late on Tuesday morning, we were greeted by many long faces of people who had unfortunately lost one of their days and were anxiously (and patiently) waiting to finally board their cruise. That was kind of awkward.
and anyone on the boat an extra day obviously all missed their flights.............that is if they had them booked to leave on the day they were to return from their cruise.

and anyone on the boat an extra day obviously all missed their flights.............that is if they had them booked to leave on the day they were to return from their cruise.

I was just thinking that not only should you not fly in on the day of but you shouldn't fly out on the last day...at least in hurricane season.

I was just thinking that not only should you not fly in on the day of but you shouldn't fly out on the last day...at least in hurricane season.
agree. if I was flying in on this coming monday or trying to board this coming monday, it would risky for sure.

Anything can happen with that storm though, it could cross over into the gulf, skirt up the coast or hit Port Canaveral head one. All we can do is wait and see.

I agree about not flying in the day of embarkation due to the risk of flight delays or cancellations. As for flying out the day of debarkation, I wouldn't be concerned about hurricanes. We were to fly out of MCO on the day Jeanne hit in 2004, but all flights were cancelled for at least a 24 hour period causing massive delays for travelers across the East Coast as well as the rest of the US. If a hurricane were to hit the Orlando area, I wouldn't be concerned about missing my flight since there's almost certainly not going to be any. Instead, I would follow the NHC projections carefully and make reservations at a nice hotel at WDW (which have their own generators and are the best places to be during a hurricane) well in advance if it looked like there was any chance that my flights could be affected. My only concern would be that my family would have to stay somewhere other than WDW while we waited for our cancelled flight to be rescheduled. Because I followed my own advice back in 2004 and erred on the side of caution, I was able to extend our stay at the Beach Club Villas for an extra night. If we had waited and hoped that things would get better, the situation could have developed into a stressful nightmare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter