• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tickets from Airmiles

Ok so I will update you on what happened to me today. They have come out with a verbal policy about buying a Sobeys GC with a Sobeys GC. They have nothing in writing, but no sense arguing with them, they dont have to sell you anything. So I asked can I buy any other GC with the Sobeys card, they said yes, I asked can I buy a Prepaid Visa, and they said yes. So Yes it cost 5.95 per prepaid Visa, what I did today was buy a Visa, then turned around and bought a Sobeys card with that visa, and so on. It is a bit confusing I know, but was able to do it 10 times. Out of pocket was $60, but that got me 2000 points, and I still have a $150 GC. So for approx $90 you can have a 5 day park pass.
Up to you if you think it is a hassell or want to try, but this works for us.

Interesting!

I just got home from Sobey's. Did it no problem 5 times. I did intentionally choose a teenage cashier a) they don't care what you want and b) no judgement. The cashier did say to me that she always thought you couldn't buy a GC with a GC but I told her this was different because it's a cash card. Which it is.

I might go back later tonight for round 2.

No luck at my Sobey's. They said you couldn't buy a card with a card no matter what it was.

No luck at my Sobey's. They said you couldn't buy a card with a card no matter what it was.
That sucks, their wrong, but cant argue they have the right to sell or not to sell to anyone. There are still some big deals if you shop at sobeys this week.

That sucks, their wrong, but cant argue they have the right to sell or not to sell to anyone. There are still some big deals if you shop at sobeys this week.

Ya, and since I shop at Sobey's anyways, I'm just going to pick up a few cards. I have no immediate trip planned, so no major hurry to accumulate.

I just got home from Sobey's. Did it no problem 5 times. I did intentionally choose a teenage cashier a) they don't care what you want and b) no judgement. The cashier did say to me that she always thought you couldn't buy a GC with a GC but I told her this was different because it's a cash card. Which it is.

I might go back later tonight for round 2.

Did you do the prepaid visa route or just buy a Sobey's card with a Sobey's card?

Did you do the prepaid visa route or just buy a Sobey's card with a Sobey's card?
Straight Sobey's card for card. I just mentioned it to DH and he laughed. After I said I was going back later tonight he then says to me why not go 10 more times....he was joking but:scratchin

Straight Sobey's card for card. I just mentioned it to DH and he laughed. After I said I was going back later tonight he then says to me why not go 10 more times....he was joking but:scratchin

And you did the gift card and not the share card? Are the share cards even included in this deal?

I wonder if I bought some groceries and another $150 card and then tried to pay with my old $150 card and some cash. Maybe that would work.

And you did the gift card and not the share card? Are the share cards even included in this deal?

I wonder if I bought some groceries and another $150 card and then tried to pay with my old $150 card and some cash. Maybe that would work.
I never even saw the share card.

Just go to a teenage cashier and when she/he questions paying with a GC just say you've done it before and to give it a try.

You have to profile the cashiers....pick the really casual, as in I don't give a hoot, looking one. Not the super efficient one.

For sure I'm going back later...probs around 8pm. If the store is quiet I'll do about 10.

I'm back. Do I admit publicly what I just did? :rotfl2: 2 different stores....6 at each store. Again, I chose the young cashier and neither even asked what I was doing. The second girl seemed to know, so either someone had already done it or she figured it out on her own.

How far could one push this thing...if one chose to?????

very good, glad it is working for some. Push as far as you can, their mistake.
Where are you located?

I'm kind of thinking that this makes up for the western Safeway shaft that we in Ontario have gotten.

I am glad you all have been able to do it straight up. I am still using the prepaid visa method. Yes it cost a little, but still huge savings. I work close to the original store I did it at last time and will try it again sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter