• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Good morning everyone!

Back in the office today.
I have not been here since Wednesday of last week.

So Alabama was a lot of fun, and we enjoyed ourselves. I had a great weekend, David had a semi great weekend. LOL.
But we made it back and we were still lovers after the game (Ellen, so glad you enjoyed the photo, it was meant to be funny, but not sure everyone understood the meaning, but I knew you would). We got home Sunday and I flew out Monday for Pittsburgh for work, man did that do a number on my back, yuck, not sure I could do that again.

But I must tell you in the airport Wednesday my flight was delayed, and i found Bar SYmon, which is a Michael Symon restaurant. I have been craving a big juicy burger for months, and nothing has come close to meeting my expectations. In front of the restaurant was a sign that read best burger at the South Beach food and Wine festival 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015; so I had to go in. The burger that won was something called a French Onion. I had to order it and some of the fries, to wash it down was a local stout.

This burger http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/french-onion-burger-michael-symon was so freaking good, I ate half in a split second.
The freis were like shoestring fries, had sea salt and rosemary on it. I was in heaven, it was delish, I ate every piece of both of those.

shutterstock_112400285.jpg

We have a bye week this week, but A&M is playing New Mexico State, so we will watch from home and hope for a blow out.

Ellen, I know Nebraska won, who do you play next?

Alison, so glad V&A was great, looking forward to pictures!

Brandi - now I understand the picture! You were rooting for separate teams! I took the word "lovers" too literally and was sort of thinking TMI! :rotfl2:

V&a's will be a ways along in the TR! Right now I'm working on Day 1 (2 in the count) which was all kiosks and the ditch.

I bet that Michael Symon burger was awesome! We ate at Lola in Cleveland and had an incredible meal. I did wonder what was up with you when. You posted that you had a burger!

We got home late last night and didn't go to sleep until after 1AM. Edison turned off our power for maintenance at 8:30 this morning. We just we out for breakfast/lunch. She had eggs Benedict and I had a Reuben sandwich.

Ellen - how do you like your new bedroom?

Tonight we are having an old standard. Sausage casserole made with Lipton chicken soup, onion and celery. Time to get back to simple eating and not this gluttonous F&W stuff! :lmao:

Alison - yes we were representing two different teams, and his lost.... I just meant we were going to be ok, after the game. But I love it that you took it literal also....

Sorry about the power being out today, that always interrupts your daily activities and the fact that y'all just got back.

I too need to get back eating better, being in France, then in Alabama, and then in Pittsburgh, I need just simple cooking and food.

What was for dinner last night? We went to a place in Ridgewood called Park West Tavern and had THIS:

20161029_195556_zps4fglnrdi.jpeg

20161029_200503_zpshblftfec.jpeg

20161029_194023_zpsfdckohfj.jpeg

....the drink was a Harvest Martini, made with Grey Goose, peach schnapps, and pumpkin! [the mac'n'cheese had garlic cauliflower in it - superb!]

Tired Tuesday...

These late night games are killing me. And my one night to get to bed earlier didn't happen. I am just not a girl that can get by on 7 hours of sleep. I need at least my 8. We headed into to town last night to help many the candy and the house while the boys went trick or treating. In years past we have had over 200+ but we barely had 75 this year. I think it was because of all the Trunk or Treating, businesses and the Y. They have all passed out candy since last Wednesday. I truly believe people were trick or treated out. It was rather strange though. Not near as much fun!

Jay is in his last 3 weeks at the Police Academy and we are all ready for him to be home, but not near as excited as he is. Halloween is always a BIG deal to him and for him to miss it this year just about killed him. Graduation is November 18th!!

Brandi ~ Yes, I totally understood the picture and loved it. I am last to this party, but we played Wisconsin Saturday and lost in overtime. It was sad, because we could have beat them. But we only dropped to #9. It was a good game. But........we play Ohio State on Saturday, and it should be another hard game. We can and should beat them but we shall see.
That burger look very good. I was so surprised to hear you ate a burger though. How did your body tolerate it?

Alison ~ I loved the picture of Fran and the kitties on her lap. Yes, they DID miss her.
I am really looking forward to your trip report. Have you post the link yet? You and Fran are just about ready to leave again right?
We love the new bedroom. Every time I walk in I love it even more. Thanks SO much for asking.

Kimmar ~ It is only 9am here but those pictures have made me really hungry. OMGoodness that meal looked amazing. Were you and DH Celebrating something?

We are getting cooler every day, but yesterday it was still in the upper 70's. Today we are to be cooler in the lower 70's. The trees are just beautiful though. I believe all of the moisture we have gotten has made the difference. We have only had 2 night of a hard freeze.

WFDT ~ Pork tenderloin (in the crockpot), roasted root veggies, and cottage cheese salad.

Make it a great day!

Ellen, my body did not like the burger, I felt awful afterwards, and I really think it was one of the main reasons I hurt all over. I hope you guys beat Ohio State. We have LSU for an 8pm game, and that is just too late for me. It should be a good game if LSU shows up, they have been talking big but we will see Texas A&M is playing Mississippi State, and are favored by 2 touchdowns, at least they play at noon.

We are heading to Texas on the 11th, I have a conference to attend and then we are going to the game, I get to hand out a scholarship again this year, so that will be fun.

David and I are again laying wreaths on veteran's graves for Christmas if anyone would like to help the wreaths are $15 each. you can make a donation here.

We were cold last night, but Thursday the high is 80 degrees. Indian Summer for sure.

Hope you all have a great day! Happy November

Ellen I started the TR before I left. I put links in my TRs and I thought I sent you a PM but I've been a little crazy.

Here is the link
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ce...-at-the-festival-kiosks-update-10-30.3554410/

I've posted the intro, travel day and first stop at the kiosks. We leave tomorrow for 4 nights, but this is a driving trip so there is not as much pressure to leave by a certain time. We do want to get out of Long Beach in time to arrive for dinner. We have a favorite Mexican restaurant just a block or so from our hotel and were planning to go there once we arrive. It's a 90 minute to 2 hour drive, 3 hours if traffic really sucks.

All my clothes are chosen and set aside, I can't say the same for Fran.

Brandi, I'm glad you are enjoying your sports games, enjoy your trip to Texas, you seem to travel a lot for work. Where in Texas are you going?

I made hot dogs last night and we had them with chips and Cole slaw. I made it Saturday night and made enough so there would be leftovers. I don't have to cook dinner again until Sunday night!

Dinner tonight will be something on the way to band.

Alison,

I am going to Bryan/College Station, Texas this trip. It is a leadership conference. I am hoping to come away with lots of great ideas.

Have a great time on your trip and enjoy your mexican food.

It's a Happy Day in my little world - I am flying the W!! What a game 7 that was. It wasn't over till after midnight here in Central time. I can't tell you how happy I am that the Cubs won. Matthew and Stephanie and I (Elizabeth is so not a sports fan) were in constant contact with each other last night. How exciting!! I have to admit - I shed some tears when they won. It has been a long time coming, and like I said before, I have loved the Cubs when NO one else did. I never lost the faith that someday they would be champions. When Ethan got in the car this morning he said, "Can you keep a secret?" of course I can. He then went on to tell me that his Mom made him go to bed at 9, but after she was in bed, he got his Ipad out and watched the scores and updates. He is so my boy!!! I just love that kid! I promised him that someday I will take him to Wrigley to see the Cubs. I just have to keep the love going!!

Brandi ~ I wondered about that burger. It must have been quite a shock to your system.

Alison ~ Thanks so much for the link. I hadn't gotten it. Save travels and have fun on this next adventure.

The weather here is beautiful today. Full sun and beautiful blue skies. The temp is in the lower 70's - PERFECT! I am a bit tired today though. I told Doug last night in probably the 6th inning that I would be glad for this World Series to be over and I could go to bed at my bedtime. These late games have really left me tired - but I truly am not complaining.
The Cubs are World Champions - WOOHOO!!!

WFDT ~ Grilled cheeseburgers, french fries and a peach salad.

Make it a great day!

Good morning everyone!

Congrats to Cubbies all over!

It was exciting and error riddled on both sides, that must be some serious pressure on Game 7.

Tonight for dinner is vegan chili over potatoes!

Happy Friday ladies,

I saw the cutest 2 videos with kitties last week. I am sure you could youTube them also. One was kittens that had been raised with bunnies. They hopped instead of walked. And the other one was kitties that were in a horse show barn that instead of walking the pranced like the show horses. Too cute. I loved them. I know you 2 will also.

Brandi ~ WooHoo!!! Those are the best kind of countdowns. Good luck this weekend. Alabama has a bye - correct?? A & M should have it easy.

I am in heaven as over the last weekend we drained, cleaned and filled the hot tub. Last night was the first night we were back in it and it felt so good. I had really missed it!! But when it is 100+ outside, getting in just didn't sound good. But it felt wonderful last night and there was just enough chill in the air to make it warm my bones. uhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

We are spending a quiet weekend at home. We have a few things to do, but for the most part, I just want to kick back and enjoy it. Hope you all do too. We play Ohio State tomorrow at 7. I hope we win. If we do it will be a miracle but like I say - On any given day anybody can be beat. So we always have a chance. We shall see!!

WFDT ~ Homemade chicken noodle soup and a crusty baguette.

Make it a great day and have wonderful weekend.

Happy Friday ladies,

I saw the cutest 2 videos with kitties last week. I am sure you could youTube them also. One was kittens that had been raised with bunnies. They hopped instead of walked. And the other one was kitties that were in a horse show barn that instead of walking the pranced like the show horses. Too cute. I loved them. I know you 2 will also.

Brandi ~ WooHoo!!! Those are the best kind of countdowns. Good luck this weekend. Alabama has a bye - correct?? A & M should have it easy.

I am in heaven as over the last weekend we drained, cleaned and filled the hot tub. Last night was the first night we were back in it and it felt so good. I had really missed it!! But when it is 100+ outside, getting in just didn't sound good. But it felt wonderful last night and there was just enough chill in the air to make it warm my bones. uhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

We are spending a quiet weekend at home. We have a few things to do, but for the most part, I just want to kick back and enjoy it. Hope you all do too. We play Ohio State tomorrow at 7. I hope we win. If we do it will be a miracle but like I say - On any given day anybody can be beat. So we always have a chance. We shall see!!

WFDT ~ Homemade chicken noodle soup and a crusty baguette.

Make it a great day and have wonderful weekend.

We had a bye last Saturday we are playing LSU tomorrow. Should be a good game.

Brandi! How cool! You're finally going back to WDW!

Ellen, I'm glad you're enjoying the Hot Tub! I love mine at home. I'll be happy to get home to it

WFDT? Not exactly sure. We have rehearsal until 5PM, pack up and drive back to the hotel. Then we report for a 8PM performance in front of the hotel at 7:30. That gives us about 2 hours for a snack and to get ready, so dinner will be after we play. I'm hoping to go to a Thai restaurant within walking distance of the hotel.

Alison, dinner sounds wonderful! Thai!

It was great! One of our friends from the band came with us and we ordered four different apps and a noodle dish. We took a little container with us home. I might nosh on a little before we go out for our breakfast/lunch.

Tonight we are being served dinner by the HS Band boosters. I have a feeling it's a spaghetti dinner, they mentioned pasta at rehearsal yesterday. We get served around 4:30 at the HS between our sound check and our performance (sax choir starts at 6:45, band at 7:30).

I'm sure I'll want "2nd dinner" after the concert!

It was great! One of our friends from the band came with us and we ordered four different apps and a noodle dish. We took a little container with us home. I might nosh on a little before we go out for our breakfast/lunch.

Tonight we are being served dinner by the HS Band boosters. I have a feeling it's a spaghetti dinner, they mentioned pasta at rehearsal yesterday. We get served around 4:30 at the HS between our sound check and our performance (sax choir starts at 6:45, band at 7:30).

I'm sure I'll want "2nd dinner" after the concert!
Yeah, that dinner does not sound as good as last night's

Yeah, that dinner does not sound as good as last night's

I ate so much at lunch that I pretty much only ate the salad. They had rigatoni with red sauce on it. After the concert we went across the street for pizza at a bar, in a city having gay pride Fran and I picked the one straight bar! LOL! Some guy pinched my *** and I had enough drinks that I got all belligerent on him. It turns out his wife was sitting on the patio with us. Weird evening!

Nice job on the pizza place - bar.

How did the concert go? I heard a little bit from Fb. Sounds great to me but I am not expert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter