The *NEW* 2008 SWAN & DOLPHIN Resort Information Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Picabu and the Fountain 2 weeks ago and they both said they still offered the AAA discount. I just called today and spoke to reservations and she checked and came back and told me that they do still give the AAA discount at their restaurants. I don't think the signature restaurants ever gave the discount but ones like Picabu and the Fountain should. I also asked about renovations, and she said they are still doing renovations. She said that they keep the guests away from the renovation area so you won't hear them..I guess you could ask to be far from the renovations when you check in.:banana: :woohoo: :cheer2: Can't wait.

Thanks so much for answering both my questions! :thumbsup2 That's great we can still get the 20% off at Picabu, as we're on a tight budget this trip. Thanks for calling and finding out for sure, we will be there in 4 weeks! :banana: :woohoo: :yay:

So did I...got a sundae to go. I showed my AAA card and was told the discount had recently been discontinued. :confused3 In hindsight - I should've followed up with a confirmation at the front desk.

In my visits since the end of September, I've been told that the AAA discount was discontinued at the Fountain ice cream takeout counter. The Fountain table service restaurant still accepts it. It reminds me of how Beaches & Cream table service accepts TiW, but the Beaches to Go counter doesn't.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Picabu isn't the only place to get a refillable mug refilled. Any restaurant with the logo displayed on the mug (and I'm pretty sure it's all of them) will refill the mug -- it's just not self-service. When I've stayed at the Swan I've sometimes turned to Garden Grove or Kimonos for diet coke refills. No problem!

In my visits since the end of September, I've been told that the AAA discount was discontinued at the Fountain ice cream takeout counter. The Fountain table service restaurant still accepts it. It reminds me of how Beaches & Cream table service accepts TiW, but the Beaches to Go counter doesn't.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Picabu isn't the only place to get a refillable mug refilled. Any restaurant with the logo displayed on the mug (and I'm pretty sure it's all of them) will refill the mug -- it's just not self-service. When I've stayed at the Swan I've sometimes turned to Garden Grove or Kimonos for diet coke refills. No problem!

Thanks for the heads up, now we know where we can and can't use the card. :thumbsup2 I never knew you could use the refillable mugs at anywhere but Picabu, lol, you learn something every day, thankyou, you've been a great help. :thumbsup2

Again, we only went to the to-go ice cream counter at the Dolphin Fountain, not the restaurant, and had no problem with the AAA discount in mid February (also in November). So, I guess it depends on who's working there?! Anyway, I'd try there because they accepted it every time, and sad to say, we went several times.:rotfl:

Apparently there are going to be renovations going on at the Dolphin from 1st April. Replacing carpets, bedding and curtains. Has anyone heard about this, I found out from a friend who's travel agent told her.
I think that there are always renovations going on there because it is so big. They were doing them last year at the end of May when we were there and it sounds like they are still working on some of the rooms.

Again, we only went to the to-go ice cream counter at the Dolphin Fountain, not the restaurant, and had no problem with the AAA discount in mid February (also in November). So, I guess it depends on who's working there?! Anyway, I'd try there because they accepted it every time, and sad to say, we went several times.:rotfl:

:pgig: It's very nice ice-cream isn't it? As for the toppings, wow! :lovestruc We will flash the card then and see if we get the discount, lol, it's worth a try! :thumbsup2

I think that there are always renovations going on there because it is so big. They were doing them last year at the end of May when we were there and it sounds like they are still working on some of the rooms.

Yes, that's what I thought, nothing new just the same old continuing renovation program, which is good that they are keeping the hotel up to scratch! :thumbsup2

:pgig: It's very nice ice-cream isn't it? As for the toppings, wow! :lovestruc We will flash the card then and see if we get the discount, lol, it's worth a try! :thumbsup2

Yes, it's fantastic! We're quite fond of their milkshakes.

Please report back about the discount. (And enjoy your trip-- and the ice cream!)

Yes, it's fantastic! We're quite fond of their milkshakes.

Please report back about the discount. (And enjoy your trip-- and the ice cream!)

Yes I will definitely report back when we get home, and we will try to enjoy the ice-cream! ;)

Yes, that's what I thought, nothing new just the same old continuing renovation program, which is good that they are keeping the hotel up to scratch! :thumbsup2

We've been at the Dolphin the past three Junes (our fourth trip coming up in a few months!) and as Crazy Kanga said - they are ALWAYS doing renovations! Our first year, the entire lobby was being renovated as well. :cool2:

How are you doing, Laura?! :hippie:

We've been at the Dolphin the past three Junes (our fourth trip coming up in a few months!) and as Crazy Kanga said - they are ALWAYS doing renovations! Our first year, the entire lobby was being renovated as well. :cool2:

How are you doing, Laura?! :hippie:
Hi Renee! We're good. Looks like we will be missing each other at the Dolphin by a few weeks again this year.:guilty:
We have found the crowds a little lighter late May before all you northerners get out of school!:laughing:
Tell Dana and Bob hi for us.:wave2:

Hi Renee! We're good. Looks like we will be missing each other at the Dolphin by a few weeks again this year.:guilty:
We have found the crowds a little lighter late May before all you northerners get out of school!:laughing:
Tell Dana and Bob hi for us.:wave2:

Bummer! :guilty: It would have been nice to ride "Tower of Terror" together again! :cool1:

You will need to get a trip report written as we are finishing up school "up North", so we are all ready for any new things at the Dolphin when we arrive in June! :goodvibes

We were going to stay at the Boardwalk, 3A and 2 kids. Then I found a great govt. rate(thanks to DH's job) and $99 for a 2nd room. It was better then the BW rate. Are there views of Epcot or MGM with a basic room or do you need a suite for that?
We are not sure if we should choose Dolphin or Swan. In the morning we want to be able to just go get a few ala cart item for breakfast like milk, juice and bagels/donuts.
Thanks for the help.

We were going to stay at the Boardwalk, 3A and 2 kids. Then I found a great govt. rate(thanks to DH's job) and $99 for a 2nd room. It was better then the BW rate. Are there views of Epcot or MGM with a basic room or do you need a suite for that?
We are not sure if we should choose Dolphin or Swan. In the morning we want to be able to just go get a few ala cart item for breakfast like milk, juice and bagels/donuts.
Thanks for the help.

We had views of Epcot at the Dolphin and views of MGM at the Swan with no suite.
Lately, we have had suites and they have always been available at the Dolphin but not at the Swan, hence the Dolphin is our preferred hotel but the Swan is just as nice.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what view you get with a Government rate, hopefully someone can come along and help with that. You don't need a suite to get the EPCOT or MGM views, just a resort view room, and there is an EPCOT FIREWORKS VIEW room, that's the most expensive, that's how the rates work at the Dolphin, the better the view the more expensive it is. There are also rooms with balconies throughout the hotel, they're great, it's lovely to sit out and get some fresh air, and they're also handy for drying off your swimming costumes! ;)

I would recommend joining their reward program, Starwood Preferred Guest, it's free to join at www.spg.com Once you've joined online, just ring the hotel to make your booking and give them your membership number, they treat their SPG members very well, and it may get you a room upgrade on check-in. :thumbsup2

I would recommend the Dolphin, as Picabu, the 24 hour counter service eatery, is great for breakfast items, they even have refillable mugs, and it's down on the lower floor of the Dolphin, so it's great for the early morning breakfast run before hitting the parks. :banana:

Hope that helps, any more questions just ask away and I'll try to help. :)

I'm not sure what view you get with a Government rate, hopefully someone can come along and help with that. You don't need a suite to get the EPCOT or MGM views, just a resort view room, and there is an EPCOT FIREWORKS VIEW room, that's the most expensive, that's how the rates work at the Dolphin, the better the view the more expensive it is. There are also rooms with balconies throughout the hotel, they're great, it's lovely to sit out and get some fresh air, and they're also handy for drying off your swimming costumes! ;)

I would recommend joining their reward program, Starwood Preferred Guest, it's free to join at www.spg.com Once you've joined online, just ring the hotel to make your booking and give them your membership number, they treat their SPG members very well, and it may get you a room upgrade on check-in. :thumbsup2

I would recommend the Dolphin, as Picabu, the 24 hour counter service eatery, is great for breakfast items, they even have refillable mugs, and it's down on the lower floor of the Dolphin, so it's great for the early morning breakfast run before hitting the parks. :banana:

Hope that helps, any more questions just ask away and I'll try to help. :)

The Lobby Bar at the Dolphin also offers freshed baked goods and fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast.. :thumbsup2

The Lobby Bar at the Dolphin also offers freshed baked goods and fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast.. :thumbsup2

Just the info I was looking for. Going on a ladies trip w/ neighbors, leaving in a month. Got to have the coffee. We stayed at the Dolphin several years ago and could not remember where to get a quick coffee and breakfast items :thumbsup2

Anyone been to the Swan/Dolphin lately?

I'm wondering about the renovations to the main Grotto pool which were listed on the website.

Also, can the minibar in the dolphin rooms be used to store cold food?

Anyone been to the Swan/Dolphin lately?

I'm wondering about the renovations to the main Grotto pool which were listed on the website.

Also, can the minibar in the dolphin rooms be used to store cold food?

We'll be there in 3 days. I'll come back and post pictures if no one else answers your question. I can't wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter