The *NEW* 2008 SWAN & DOLPHIN Resort Information Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding check-in. I am switching our trip around so that we end our vacation at the Swan or SSR. I am leaning towards the Swan as I've heard check-in at the DVC resorts is often very late (after 4 p.m.).

What is the earliest you've been able to check-in? If you arrive early, say @ 11 a.m., and your room is not ready, can you lounge by the pool until the room is ready? Do they have food and snacks available at the pool? What areas can you go to/explore in the Boardwalk area? I haven't been to the Boardwalk in 10 years, thus the need for updated information. Plus, my mom is traveling with us and will not be able to tolerate the heat in August. She could be out by the pool one hour max. Any suggestions for where she can go and relax in the area until our room is ready?

Thanks for all the help. This is a great thread. I love the pics and have always wanted to stay at the Dolphin/Swan!

I have a question regarding check-in. I am switching our trip around so that we end our vacation at the Swan or SSR. I am leaning towards the Swan as I've heard check-in at the DVC resorts is often very late (after 4 p.m.).

What is the earliest you've been able to check-in? If you arrive early, say @ 11 a.m., and your room is not ready, can you lounge by the pool until the room is ready? Do they have food and snacks available at the pool? What areas can you go to/explore in the Boardwalk area? I haven't been to the Boardwalk in 10 years, thus the need for updated information. Plus, my mom is traveling with us and will not be able to tolerate the heat in August. She could be out by the pool one hour max. Any suggestions for where she can go and relax in the area until our room is ready?

Thanks for all the help. This is a great thread. I love the pics and have always wanted to stay at the Dolphin/Swan!

The Swan will allow you to kick back and they will hold your luggage.
If your room is ready, they'll send you to it.
Yes there are snack by the pool.
Your mom could sit in the lobby or in one of the restaurants.

At the DVCs, they will give you a buzzer like at Outback and then take forever to let you know your room is ready. Check in on busy days can be after 5:00 PM.
SSR feels so far from everything. It has been our least favorite DVC stay at WDW.

Well, we read a little more and we don't qualify for govt rate. It's for federal and state, he is local. Oh well, we will find discount somehow. I am a girl for a bargin. Thanks for the info, glad I found this thread.

We had a "resort view with balcony" room. Checked in by 11 am, and our room was ready. I got the 3rd floor (so much for asking for a high floor) but it was a nice room. The fridge was nice - I like how they got rid of the mini bars in lieu of the fridge. I would have liked an Epcot view, but it must have been unavailable.

We had a nice view of the boat dock. Our carpet had something sticky on it the first day (I think it was a child's candy) so the second day they steam cleaned it.

It was a very nice 6 nights (on points).

The pool was opened by the 16th - they had a slip-n-slide and obstacle course set up for the kids while the slide was out. We only swam once.

The new dining area by the pool is very pretty.

Our room was pretty quiet at night - some days my kids didn't wake up until after 8am! That was good - they were tired from walking.

The beds this time were very soft, but fine. I think we didn't have the feather beds as I am allergic. Maybe that made them less comfy, but it was fine.

I don't see any difference in this renovation folks talk about in the rooms. Our room was the same as always - just a new tv. It was fine for us.

If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer them.

We had a "resort view with balcony" room. Checked in by 11 am, and our room was ready. I got the 3rd floor (so much for asking for a high floor) but it was a nice room. The fridge was nice - I like how they got rid of the mini bars in lieu of the fridge. I would have liked an Epcot view, but it must have been unavailable.

We had a nice view of the boat dock. Our carpet had something sticky on it the first day (I think it was a child's candy) so the second day they steam cleaned it.

It was a very nice 6 nights (on points).

The pool was opened by the 16th - they had a slip-n-slide and obstacle course set up for the kids while the slide was out. We only swam once.

The new dining area by the pool is very pretty.

Our room was pretty quiet at night - some days my kids didn't wake up until after 8am! That was good - they were tired from walking.

The beds this time were very soft, but fine. I think we didn't have the feather beds as I am allergic. Maybe that made them less comfy, but it was fine.

I don't see any difference in this renovation folks talk about in the rooms. Our room was the same as always - just a new tv. It was fine for us.

If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to answer them.

I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your stay. :thumbsup2
So there are now fridges in the rooms instead of a minibar? That sounds much better! What were they doing to the pool, has it changed at all or was it just basic maintenance? Thanks

I didn't take too many pictures, sorry!

The rooms in the Swan do not have mini bars anymore (yeah!), just a mini fridge. I think the Dolphin is getting rid of the mini bars, but I don't know if they have done so yet.

I remembered to bring my AAA card - got 20% off at Pikabu's. I need to remember that in the future! Also at Kimono's.

The pool was basic maintenance.

The rooms at the Swan have new carpet, drapes, and paint on the walls. I prefer the previous room decor, but do like the new TV's.

I believe the Dolphin will keep the mini-bars. Just a word of warning: when we were at the Swan on March 11th, our refrigerator wasn't plugged in - so do check first before putting food in there.

I remembered to bring my AAA card - got 20% off at Pikabu's. I need to remember that in the future! Also at Kimono's.

Wait a minute - you got a 20% AAA discount at Kimono's? When I was there in September, I asked about that, and was told the only discount was for DVC members! :mad:

I didn't take too many pictures, sorry!

The rooms in the Swan do not have mini bars anymore (yeah!), just a mini fridge. I think the Dolphin is getting rid of the mini bars, but I don't know if they have done so yet.

The pool was basic maintenance.

So glad to hear you got the 20% off at Picabu, that's good news! :thumbsup2

Hi,
Are the Starwood points redeemable? I have never had any luck on the Starwood site booking a free room or room with points and cash at the Swan/Dolphin. :confused3

I thought that I might try a room upgrade...What is the procedure for getting room upgrades with points?

If you have any pointers for using the points, I would be grateful for your insight.:worship:
Thanks!!
Snels

Hi,
Are the Starwood points redeemable? I have never had any luck on the Starwood site booking a free room or room with points and cash at the Swan/Dolphin. :confused3

I thought that I might try a room upgrade...What is the procedure for getting room upgrades with points?

If you have any pointers for using the points, I would be grateful for your insight.:worship:
Thanks!!
Snels

I've used my Starwood points many times for free hotel nights or frequent-flyer miles - but never for free nights at the Swan/Dolphin. The best bang for the buck is stay 4 nights @ 10,000 points per night and get the 5th night "free." Call Starwood if you can't book the free night(s) online. However, with all the discounted rates at hotels these days, make sure it's worth using the points. 20,000 Starwood points = 25,000 airline miles with most airlines, and that's a free domestic plane ticket.

Below quote is copied from the Swan / Dolphin's FAQ page.

"Debit /Check Card Policy

If you would like to use your debit or check card to secure your reservation with us, we require that you sign an agreement that pre-authorizes us to freeze funds in your account to be used towards room, tax, and incidental charges incurred during your hotel stay. The pre-authorization amount will be for the amount of room nights (inclusive of tax), and 40% of the total anticipated amount for incidentals.

Even though you may use cash or another credit card at check out, the pre-authorization will tie up that portion of the current funds you have in your bank account. It will be up to your bank to release the funds after checkout. Depending on your bank, it could take 2 - 30 days for the unused funds to reappear back on your account."

We hate using our credit card for anything other than emergencies, as we use our debit card for just about everything.
My question is if I pay for the entire stay prior the arrival, would there be a chance of the Dolphin waiving the 40% for incidentals?
No biggie overall, just wondering...

Thanks,
Mark

Does anyone have pictures of a limted view room? Would it be worth paying more money for a resort view room for just 2 nights?

Mark ~ I would call the Swan/Dolphin directly and asked them about incidentals. If your room is paid for then they probably will not require you to put anything down for incidentals. We have done this on many occasions, but I always call first and write down the name of the person I spoke with and it has not been a problem. At the least the will tell you the smallest amount you can put down. I think one time we put down $75 and most of the time nothing, but of course we would not have an incidental account set up.

I would sign up for SPG program and hope for an automatic upgrade if its available. I have seen some really bad "limited views" before on this board, but I have always lucked out and gotten the resort/water view. To us a great view is worth the extra money. I don't want to spend even one night looking at the dumpsters if I can be looking at Epcot or the waterway instead.

:)

Hi,

Thanks!!
Snels

We've always gotten free nights with points for Swan or Dolphin. 10,000 points gets you 1 free night. Love it! I've also booked it myself online, never had to call. I've never seen the points & cash option available for Swan/Dolphin but it might just not be available the times I go. I wouldn't pay for an upgrade with points, but that's just me. As a Starwood member you'll get a free upgrade if one is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter