The Mission: Prove to Grumpola Husband that Disney Magic DOES Exist!

TandLMommy28

DIS Veteran
I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work but I need a place to organize my thoughts on this trip so I figured this would be a good place to do it!

For the longest time we have had it "set in stone" that we would visit Disney in February 2011. We wanted to go while my daughter is still 5 and due to some work situations, February was going to be the best time.

I was never thrilled about this. We will be driving and leaving from the North, there's really no telling what kind of weather might keep us from making the drive. Plus, I lived in the Florida panhandle for five years and I know how unpredictable the weather is in February. Some years we were hitting the beach and other years we were still in winter coats. You just never knew what to expect.

I've always gone in September and I just desperately wanted to share Disney with my husband and kids for the first time in September when the weather is more predictable (wet, yes, but at least its predictable!) and the crowds are extremely low. My husband was dead set against the idea. He's a Disney Scrooge. He only visited MK for ONE DAY when he was seven. He doesn't remember much about it.

I was already talking non-stop about the trip and he was sick of hearing it. I played with the numbers with the free dining plan plus my son being under three (and therefore free). I realized that we would save a ridiculous amount of money. I figured the Scrooge would say NO WAY but he had a vacation week scheduled for the end of September so I decided to just run it by him.

To my shock and amazement, he said YES. I think, deep down, he figures if we go in September, we'll get it OVER WITH and I'll quit talking about it. Saving $1,000 or so doesn't hurt anything either. He figures it's a huge waste of money anyway, so spending less on it is fine with him!

This trip is really a 5th birthday gift to my daughter and it just so happens that we will be there on my son's 3rd birthday. But in the end, my mission on this trip to Disney is to prove to my husband that Disney Magic is alive and well. I went him to believe it! I want him to love Disney! I want him to want to go back over and over! I want him to "catch the spirit."

And so, the trip planning begins!

We have ADRs set for each morning of the trip but I am really not sure I am happy with our breakfast on Animal Kingdom day. The rest are fine and the first three tie into the parks we plan to visit each day...

Monday at Hollywood Studios we are having breakfast at Hollywood and Vine.

Tuesday at Magic Kingdom we are having breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

Wednesday at Epcot we are having breakfast at Akershus.

Thursday is Animal Kingdom day and right now our ADR is for 1900 Park Fare. I'm thinking that may not be the best idea.

We also have breakfast Friday at Ohana but we haven't decided which park to do that day. I am toying with the idea of dropping both Thursday and Friday ADRs for breakfast and adding some lunches or dinners somewhere along the way. Friday is the day we check out and I am wondering about the logistics of a reservation at 9:30, doing a park and checking out of the hotel.

I've been pondering our trip and I have to admit, in some ways I am a little bit sad. My kids are so young and this trip is no big deal to them. Don't get me wrong, they are excited about it! But they are too young to have built up a real sense of anticipation about it.

Unlike me.

My parents built an elaborate plan to surprise us with our first trip to Disney. I believe I was seven years old the first time they told me "the plan."

"Some day, when you least expect it, you will be sitting at your desk at school and the principal will call you over the intercom to come to the office. And when you there, we'll be standing there waiting to take you to the limo in front of the school. That limo is going to take you to the airport and we are going to Disney World!"

A nice tale, yes, but after hearing this story for seven years, I had turned into a disbelieving teenager. I was old enough to understand that my parents didn't have much money and my Disney dreams were all but shattered.

On September 12, 1995 (yes, I remember the date. It's right up there with my wedding on the "best days of my life" list), I had only been in high school for one week. I had a doctor's appointment and had to skip school that day.

At about 10am, my dad handed me a really heavy bag and said, "Can you take this out to the car for me, then we really gotta get going." I said OK and walked outside. My aunt was standing in the driveway with her camera and I thought that was really weird.

"Which car?" I asked and my aunt pointed to the front of the house... to the limo that was waiting to take me to Disney World. Words cannot express what I felt at that moment and even fifteen years later, I am crying typing this because the moment was so emotional.

My parents quickly explained that since I had just started high school and it was such a big school, they were unsure how to surprise me at school so they changed the plan for me -- but I would get to watch the plan unfold for my siblings.

We jumped in the limo and headed to their elementary school. They were 8 and 10. When we got there, the principal was waiting for us and made an announcement to the whole school, "Will Kenny and Alyssa F------ please report to the principal's office? There is a limo here waiting to take them to Disney World." You could hear the squeals of all the students all through the building. Their entire classes came out to the parking lot to see them off on vacation.

Then it was off to the airport for our very first flight ever and then a truly magical and perfect week in Disney World. :cloud9:

And I know I can't top that for my kids. How can anyone top that, really? My parents put at least seven years into the planning and scheming, holding off until we all gave up completely on the idea.

Hi! Great start! Where are you staying? I"m sure you'll have a magical vacation :)

Ah, frustration.

If my husband says one more time, "I'm sure we'll have a good time but you have got to understand that if I never went on vacation to Disney World in my lifetime, I wouldn't feel like I was missing something" I WILL SCREAM!

I am assuming that he will change his mind when we get there. He just has to! He's never gone on a "resort" type vacation. He has no idea what it will be like. He's never left the world behind for a week. Since we got married all of our vacations have been to visit family and one two night trip to Florida to visit college friends at our college for Thanksgiving. This is our first REAL vacation, we never even had a honeymoon.

It annoys me beyond belief that he can just be happy about this. Right now, it's merely something that he is tolerating for me. I just want him to really enjoy it.

He's such a Disney Scrooge!

Hi! Great pre-report so far. I'm really excited for you guys and it's not even my vacation, lol. I can relate to you though in some ways. We are actually going about a week after you are. For me it's my fifth trip in my lifetime with the most recent being March 2009 when my DH and i went on our honeymoon. i'm lucky that he's a HUGE Disney fan too. This upcoming trip, however, he can't get off work and will be staying home and I'll be going with my mom (also a disney fan) and my aunt, uncle, and two cousins age 5 and 7. My uncle says thing your husband does. My aunt is SO excited, this will be the first trip for all of them. My aunt, mom, and I talk nonsto and he's just sitting to the side going "oh yeah I'm just so excited, can't you tell?" He doesn't get it at all and is only going to hunor my aunt and because honestly I think deep down he wants to see his kids having fun and them experience the magic for the first time.....even if he doesn't get the magic. He's been a scrooge the entire time, but we refuse to let him spoil our trip.

As for your kids don't feel sad about them being young.....my first trip was right after I turned 4 and i still remember it. Do I remember every last detail, no, but I do remember several things like the Dumbo ride, meeting Goofy and Chip and Dale (I met others, but those three really stick out to me) getting my mickey balloon, my goofy hat, a few other rides, etc. I'm sure your son will have some good memories of his first trip. Now your daughter is plenty old to build up the expectations and fun of the trip. My younger cousin is 5 and he has our ENTIRE trip planned out! Haha I'm serious. He watches the planning dvd and sits down with the park maps almost every night and has it planned what rides he wants to do and how we should get to them, etc. He talks about it CONSTANTLY. Your two are the perfect ages and you will all have a very magical time I'm sure.

Where are you staying? How long? Are you doing anything special like the pirate cruise or BBB?

We have ADRs set for each morning of the trip but I am really not sure I am happy with our breakfast on Animal Kingdom day. The rest are fine and the first three tie into the parks we plan to visit each day...

Monday at Hollywood Studios we are having breakfast at Hollywood and Vine.

Tuesday at Magic Kingdom we are having breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

Wednesday at Epcot we are having breakfast at Akershus.

Thursday is Animal Kingdom day and right now our ADR is for 1900 Park Fare. I'm thinking that may not be the best idea.

We also have breakfast Friday at Ohana but we haven't decided which park to do that day. I am toying with the idea of dropping both Thursday and Friday ADRs for breakfast and adding some lunches or dinners somewhere along the way. Friday is the day we check out and I am wondering about the logistics of a reservation at 9:30, doing a park and checking out of the hotel.

On your AK day have you considered Donald's Safari Breakfast at AK? It's a fantastic breakfast, great character interaction, and if you make it right at park opening time you'll get to be in the park before everyone else. I've heard 1900 is great, but have never been. If you do decide to go there or O'hanas for breakfast may I suggestion that do you spend at eithe rMK or Epcot so you can just take the monorail over.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

We are at POFQ September 26 - October 1.

I couldn't get Donald to show up on the reservations. Like, it's not on the list at all, even with a "no reservations available" note. I'm not sure what is going on. If anyone else can get it to show up, let me know!

On a super happy note, I was at the used bookstore today and found The Imagineer's Guide to the Magic Kingdom for $4. I was wanting to read it so I'm thrilled!!!

Oh and the only reservation available for BBB was in Downtown Disney late in the evening. I didn't take it because I'm not going to pay that much money for her to get her hair done and go to bed!

Hi! I just stumpled across your trip report..I know what your going through, when we went in March my Dad and brother could have cared less about Disney! It's very frustrating but trust me when i say they had a good time!

Are you going on free dining? I would suggest adding in some dinners or lunches instead of all breakfast, unless your family is big on breakfast? There are some fantastic dining options where dinner is concerned!

Good luck and i look foward to hearing about your trip

Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

We are at POFQ September 26 - October 1.

I couldn't get Donald to show up on the reservations. Like, it's not on the list at all, even with a "no reservations available" note. I'm not sure what is going on. If anyone else can get it to show up, let me know!

On a super happy note, I was at the used bookstore today and found The Imagineer's Guide to the Magic Kingdom for $4. I was wanting to read it so I'm thrilled!!!

I checked for you on Tusker House and unfortunately there is nothing available for thursday morning, the 30th. on the 1st on Friday all they have available is 11 a.m. which I'm guessing is actually lunch even though I asked it to find breakfast times. I didn't check any other days since you seem to have your ADR's already set for them, but I can check for those days if you wanted to switch anything around.....sorry about that. It's a popular place since breakfast is the only time they have characters and they fill up quick.

As far as BBB I'm agree completely, I'd love for my 7 yr. old cousin to do it, but I'd never go with that late night appointment. What's the point of spending all that money and time when they'll be going straight to bed shortly there after.

I haven't added much to my PTR because we have another big trip coming up in just two weeks and that's been taking priority these days... not to mentino summer science (we homeschool and try to knock out science in the summer to keep our school year less daunting), swim lessons every morning, hosting a church gathering at our house this week, and having house guests for a week. Busy, busy. I just keep telling myself when we get home from this trip, it will be down to two months for our trip!

Some notes on our trip coming together:

1. I got Chef Mickey!!! It's for lunch at 1:40 on the day we arrive (we are driving and plan to sleep close to Orlando the night before and arrive in the morning at WDW). The plan is to check into the hotel, check it out a little maybe swim and relax if there's time, then head over to Chef Mickey's and on into MK for EMH that night.

2. I found THE stroller of my dreams on Craigslist. I am going to pick it up this weekend. $55 is a good deal compared to $27/day to rent at the park and even the $70 or so to rent from Orlando Stroller Rental.

3. I discovered Pick A Pearl at Japan and already ordered cages online from Ebay. Believe it or not, Grumpola is really excited!!! He seems to like it when I want jewelry, go figure. Good because I think I am going to tell him I want two pearls--one for my charm bracelet and one for a ring!

4. I bought "wicking" socks as recommend in The Unofficial Guide. I am going to give them--and my Shape Ups--a trial run at Cedar Point and Hershey Park on our vacation. I didn't buy the Cool Max, but I found a wicking sock at Target for a reasonable price.

5. I am desperately awaiting Meijer's back to school sales in August. It's sick, I know. I should NOT be wishing summer away when I waited so darn long for it to finally arrive! But Meijer has THE BEST back to school sales, and I basically get free socks and underwear for the entire family out of the deal. I think all the free underwear is getting packed away for Disney. Because as we all know, there is just nothing like fresh underwear on vacation!

6. My son has got to learn to use a regular toilet before Disney. I am not bringing his frog potty to WDW, even if we are staying at the hotel that most closely matches the Princess and the Frog theme!

Sign me up, this looks like a good one.

You are going to have so much fun!

I think we have the slightest glimmer of hope.

Grumpola just might be won over.

Today I told him about MNSSHP and for the first time he said "Heck yeah! I want to do that!" I'm not a big Halloween fan, I've just never gotten into it. And he misses making a big deal out of it, so he's thrilled that I am willing to participate in Halloween festivities--even if it costs us $200 to do it.

There is hope yet.

Ok so I am subscribing to this thread with pen and paper in hand waiting to take notes!!

I am planning an adults-only trip this time for me and my Scroogey DFiance...he too could go his whole life happily without Disney Magic but I am convinced as you are that its only that they do not know any better! :confused3

This trip marks his first trip to Disney, our first adults only trip, and my birthday. OH! And our first trip home to OKW - we just closed on our DVC! :goodvibes

Come to think of it, he better be ready, willing and able since we just boguht in, huh? :rotfl:

We can bounce Mission: Disney Magic ideas off of eachother! :banana:

so to begin, I thought I would share with you my ideas to bring along some goodies to make him feel special...I went to Disney Store online and am going to make a personalized cap for each of us to wear while there with our names on it. We will leave them in our Owners Locker to have each trip. I would LOOOOOVE to do the fluffy bathrobes too but they are $50 each! Maybe if they go on sale....I am going to go to the dollar store and get some glow sticks and stickers to pixie dust unsuspecting children...who doesnt want to make a kid smile?! I am hoping that will rub off onto him when he sees the magic can come from you too!

I have put in the reservations (villa and dining) that its his 1st trip, and my 40th bday so I am sure some magic will happen! :goodvibes The problem is, he hates to be 'put out there' so I dont know if I can get him to wear his button. :eek: But maybe this is something you can do for your Scrooge? Will he wear it?

Ugh - so sorry for unintentionally hijaking your thread! :rolleyes1

Oh!! It's so exciting to know someone else is in the same situation! :) Feel free to share any ideas you have. I am trying to plan special things for each person in our group, and he is one that I am struggling with the most! When we booked, they wrote it down as a first visit and a birthday trip... I think he will wear the button. He gets into that sort of thing.

Oh thats GREAT that he gets into that sort of thing - my man is always leaning towards the invisible mode. I may just have to tell him its part of the rules. Ok so fine...it will be MY rule but he doesnt have to know that! ;)

Have you come up with any ideas yet for hubs, other than the MNSSHP. We are arriving on 10/31 and I thought about it but he wont dress up and we have O'hana ressies.

Oh!! It's so exciting to know someone else is in the same situation! :) Feel free to share any ideas you have. I am trying to plan special things for each person in our group, and he is one that I am struggling with the most! When we booked, they wrote it down as a first visit and a birthday trip... I think he will wear the button. He gets into that sort of thing.

More of the trip is taking shape and I am putting together the pieces of how to fit the stuff we want to do into our week (side note: I've already found so many things we don't have time for that in a small part of my brain I am already planning our NEXT trip. Really).

Sunday:

Arrival in the AM. Plan to be no further than 2 hours from Orlando when we crash Saturday night. Hope to arrive at POFQ by 10am to check in. Fingers crossed that we can actually get into our room since it's a slow time of year but we'll see!

Depending on how early we do arrive at POFQ and if we can get into our room, we will probably just explore the resort a little bit and maybe even take the boat over to DTD.

We have ADR at Chef Mickey's at 1:40pm. The plan is to drive to MK and park, take the monorail over to Chef Mickey's and then monorail right on over to MK. It's EMH and we will stay until the kids can't take it anymore :)

Monday:
We have breakfast ADR at Hollywood & Vine, followed by a special day at HS. We'll be wandering the park, doing oru thing and suddenly when the kids least expect it, we will turn a corner and... their grandmother and favorite aunt will be there! :) They have NO IDEA that they are coming.

When we are done at HS for the day, we'll head back to the hotel and this will be a "date night" for Grumpola and I. I am debating between so many things, since I've heard about watching fireworks at Poly, the Boardwalk and DTD. I just can't decide. I *THINK* we are going to Disney Quest, though. We'll see!

Tuesday:
Little guy's 3rd birthday. Breakfast at Crystal Palace to kick off the festivities! Full day at MK but since it closes early for MNSSHP, we'll be calling it quits early that night and heading back to the hotel for some swimming and relaxation.

Need to figure out some extra "magic" for his birthday but I don't have an official plans yet.

Wednesday:
Princess breakfast at Epcot, and my little Princess's princess day. I couldn't get BBB but that's OK, we'll still make it fun and special. We are doing Pick A Pearl in Japan and whatever else we can fit in by 5... My mom and aunt are having a night of there own ans so we'll be splitting up and they will stay at Epcot and we are having a "down" night at the hotel.headed to DTD to buy Mr. Potato Head parts (OMG, I am obsessed with him... I grew up in RI and when they did the Potato head statues I went on an 18 hour hunt to see all of them in one day... well... that's another story for another time!) Mom loves Epcot and could stay all day but I know the kids are a bit young for a lot of the stuff and we'll probably fade early. They have ADR in Mexico I believe and will stay and watch the show and all that. Nice sister bonding time for the two of them.

Thursday:

AK day. We currently have an ADR at 1900 Park Fare that I think we might cancel. I think I'd rather get to AK at RD and just enjoy the day. AK closes at 5 that day and we'll be headed back to the hotel to get dressed for MNSSHP.

So we'll be partying at that night at MK. My mom and aunt are not going as far as I know.

Friday:
Our last day. BOOOOOOOO! We have an ADR at Ohana but it's kinda late in the morning and since it's our last day, I might try to find something earlier so that we have more time to do something fun... I have no plans for this day whatsoever. My kids will pick their favorite thing and we will revisit whatever they liked best.

We'll probably leave around 4 or so and head towards Atlanta. We are meeting up with college friends in Atlanta Saturday morning and then we'll drive home...

I'm exhausted just typing this all out!!!

Today I bought my Vera Bradley bag for Disney! We are going to Cedar Point on Saturday and I'm doing a full trial run of how I want things to be in Disney--that includes shoes, socks, clothes, strollers, bags. :)

I picked the Mailbag in Make Me Blush. It has a little LIME GREEN in it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter