• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Lightening Lane vs Single Rider

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
If you had to pick Single Rider it Lightening Lane (on attractions with both) which is generally faster?

Also my last trip 8 years ago it was generally stated that standby was better than single rider on Soarin’’ is that still the case?

Radiator Springs: single rider
Matterhorn: lightning lane
Star Tours: lightning lane
Millennium Falcon: single rider, especially if you go to the left :)

It all depends on the size of the ride vehicles. 6 person ride vehicles are ideal for single rider - Millennium Falcon, Radiator Springs and Matterhorn. Downside with those is that Disney prominently displays a sign for Single Rider, so lots of people do it. We did run a test once where my parents had LL for Matterhorn, but my wife and I had just showed up, so we did single rider... standby line was about an hour, so single rider line was pretty long. Single rider ended up taking about 5 minutes longer than LL.

8 person isn't bad - Grizzly River run is great for Single Rider, and not as many people know about it so line is pretty short. I've never single rode Web Slingers, but I imagine it would be fast too. 12 person vehicles like Space Mountain, it doesn't move as fast, but Space Mountain doesn't prominently market Single Rider, so again, not that many people know about it.

Bigger than 12 person vehicles, it's no good. Incredicoaster and Soarin, Single Rider is not great. If Incredicoaster single rider is stretching up on the ramp up to Lamplight Lounge, do not even bother. Standby is likely the same or faster. Soarin is super cast member dependent... if you get one where the cast member is fishing up the standby queue for groups of 3, it moves very slowly.

In my experience I've found LL to be much faster than single rider for RSR. I usually get genie for at least one day at DL, but don't bother with it for DCA. And I'd be fine with single rider at the DL options.

In my experience I've found LL to be much faster than single rider for RSR. I usually get genie for at least one day at DL, but don't bother with it for DCA. And I'd be fine with single rider at the DL options.
This was kind of my thought about it too. I have a 3-day trip and getting it for my second DL day, if I thought it was needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter