The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

I guess the vermin were mean to him because apparently he prefers the company of the cats. Either he came back, or his twin brother showed up.

This is one reason I live up north. Don't see many snakes around. Seen one last year and got to play with my gun. Our cats catch the critters, kill'em and then bring them in the house for us to see. Mice, birds and I think even a baby rabbit.

Dropped my phone yesterday.

Cracked my screen which is now unresponsive.

I'm trying to get it fixed before I head out this coming week to Ohio.

I might have something interesting to share on the Community Board when I get back next week.

Meanwhile, I am keeping my fingers crossed on the fix.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Dangit Ed! I don't do well with these "suspense at the end of an episode" garbage. Now I gotta wait til next week?

Oh yeah, I head down to GSP on Friday. I feel a bit out of practice on my TRs so I'll start up one here on the community forum as it gets closer.

Well last year when I went on this trip, I toured the T@b (teardrop) trailer factory and the Bowling Green Corvette factory.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/i-...-corvette-factories-updated-may-2016.3455780/

This year I have two different, interesting things planned. My extended family in Ohio gets together over Columbus Day weekend to camp together since it's a 3-day school weekend and I'm going to join them.

Bama Ed

Well last year when I went on this trip, I toured the T@b (teardrop) trailer factory and the Bowling Green Corvette factory.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/i-...-corvette-factories-updated-may-2016.3455780/

This year I have two different, interesting things planned. My extended family in Ohio gets together over Columbus Day weekend to camp together since it's a 3-day school weekend and I'm going to join them.

Bama Ed
Good thing about Ohio...no threat of a hurricane! Ugh....had the threat here in southern New England for the Labor Day weekend, and now Matthew for the Columbus Day weekend perhaps...
Not exactly major life issues, but don't want my last camping trip of season drowned out...

Dropped my phone yesterday.

Cracked my screen which is now unresponsive.

I'm trying to get it fixed before I head out this coming week to Ohio.

I might have something interesting to share on the Community Board when I get back next week.

Meanwhile, I am keeping my fingers crossed on the fix.

Bama Ed
Sorry to hear about the phone. That's why we try to keep one of the older ones (currently an iPhone 4) around so that if something happens to one of our phones we have a back up. It's a simple trip to the AT&T store (for us) to get them swapped. Still it's a PITA. Hope you get things taken care of. Hope you have a good time with the family on Columbus day. Where will you be camping?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the phone. That's why we try to keep one of the older ones (currently an iPhone 4) around so that if something happens to one of our phones we have a back up. It's a simple trip to the AT&T store (for us) to get them swapped. Still it's a PITA. Hope you get things taken care of. Hope you hCW good time with the family of Columbus day. Where will you be camping?

Paul, I will be at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio about 90 minutes east of Columbus. Bama Ed

Wow! I just read what I posted just above yours. I got to stop posting using my phone. Small keys, fat fingers and the "Auto correct" are enough to drive someone crazy. (I have since corrected the typos). Ugh! :o

So my Columbus day had me dealing with Water... How Appropriate since Christopher had to sale the Oceans blue.... Too bad I had to deal with it flowing out of my Hot Water heater.

Thought it was the Stub pipe coming out of the Hot Water side. Great... No problem, It's a quick fix.... Off to Lowe's to get a 3/4" male Adapter to a 1/2" pipe. Plus some 1/2" pipe. I only needed about 14" of the pipe.

So Lowe's sells a 2 foot section of pipe for about $4.50 OR I can buy the 10 foot piece for just over $10. Well, since I know I will need more again at some point, I bought the 10' Section. However, poking around, they also sell a 6 Inch "Patch" pipe (1/2" Copper) for MORE then the 2' Pipe. REALLY.

Anyway, So I go home.... Cut pipe to what I need. Clean up the fittings, get them sweated in place, Then Install it on the heater. Turn the water back on..... Yup, it's still leaking. Great!!!! (even though it wasn't the problem originally... it was pretty bad anyway so I didn't feel bad about replacing it.)

So further investigation it looked like it was the fitting (female side) on the tank, but then it's possible that it's just the inner tank. Either way, it's not something I am prepared to repair.... Ah but wait.... When I installed the last one, I left the paper work with the heater. It's got a 6 year warranty and it was installed in December 2016! Yea!

That was short lived... Because the paperwork did NOT have the receipt and I never registered it. I did call anyway, I was told that basically if I could find the receipt, they would honor the warranty otherwise, they have to go 6 years from the date of manufacture of January 2016. Ugh.

So off to Lowe's again to get a new Hot Water heater. Happens to be the exact same type (Whirlpool, 40 Gallon electric). Pay for it, load it in the truck, Get it home, unload it and get it in the house, Take it out.... first thing I noticed.... Tank doesn't have the female thread.... It now has MALE adapters on it. Ugh! Now I have Re-Do the work I just did for the bad pipe AND I have to replace the FEED side as well.

So I finish un-boxing the hot-water heater and there is a huge dent on the top. (Sigh... I guess this is the way the day is going to go). So I called Lowe's. They tell me I can return it or I can have it "Discounted" and keep it, either way, I would have to bring it back. Since I had to go to get the Female adapters anyway, I guess it's just a little more work to load it up. Back I go.

So when I get back, the girl at the service desk asks if I want it discounted. I told her I wanted it to WORK! If it worked AND the warranty of this one wouldn't be impacted I'd take the discount. She had this "Deer in the headlights" look about her, so I said, since you apparently don't know about the warranty, I will take a new one.

Finally got the new one home, got the new adapters, got it installed and had hot water to now get a shower and clean up..... 5 hours of stuff I did NOT want to do and about $350.00 less in the wallet (errrr ..... Credit card) was not how I wanted to spend my Columbus day, but hey, I guess it could have been worse..... I could have been at an "Outlet store" with the DW shopping for stuff we don't need. :D

So last Monday, I had to replace my Hot water heater. Yesterday (Thursday) I had to repair my gas furnace. UGH!. Had to put a new thermo-couple AND a new Gas Valve on it. All I can say, is thankfully, I am handy with tools and plumbing. Otherwise, I'd probably be out a couple of grand for both of these unplanned "Projects". As it stands, I am only out a few hundred (for parts and what not)

Ah.... The joys of home ownership. :guilty:

Yep. I use You Tube a lot. Replaced a clutch in a John Deere tractor for my neighbor last year using two videos. All went well and saved him several grand!

Ah.... The joys of home ownership. :guilty:
Ain't it fun? :D

I can so relate. My house is a 114 year old Victorian. We have replaced nearly everything, but now some of those things are coming back around again. One of the water heaters this spring. 7 year old furnace needed a new heat exchanger (poor design/install). Thankfully that was under warranty. This summer the 8 year old A/C unit has decided to start eating electrical parts (contact switch, delay timer and the transformer on the furnace for the thermostats)

Like you, I do most of the work myself, but it does seem to always be something.

j

My house is a 114 year old Victorian.
Mine is also an older "Victorian" Built in 1925

house.jpg

Got rid of those GAWD awful things in the front of the house (you could barely see the front porch).

Did a lot of work to clean it up... New roof, now on the SECOND (NEW) water heater. Working on redoing the third bathroom. (It was all tore about because we had a lost cat in the walls... Long story, but it ended with us ripping out the "Tub". Not a happy day, but at least the cat was okay).

Hopefully a calm and relatively "Inexpensive" winter this year. (I hope) At least from this point forward. :rolleyes1

Nice house, Paul.

Here's a pic of mine getting a new roof last Fall. This was 2 months after the new water lateral. Last year was expensive.

house-sm_zps09jbpup3.jpg~original

Here's the other side with the roof done. This is also new siding and trim last year. Forgot that was all in the same year.
20151107_115047-1280x720_zpsq0kj5lib.jpg~original

j

Last edited:
Nice house, Paul.

Here's a pic of mine getting a new roof last Fall. This was 2 months after the new water lateral. Last year was expensive.

house-sm_zps09jbpup3.jpg~original

Here's the other side with the roof done. This is also new siding and trim last year. Forgot that was all in the same year.
20151107_115047-1280x720_zpsq0kj5lib.jpg~original

j
My new roof was 3 years (and $17K) ago... 5 Dormers, 2 Chimneys HIGH roof and steep pitch.. That hurt pretty bad too, but it definitely needed it. Sadly, I could not recommend the contractors that did the work for anyone else. The roof itself was done okay (from what I can tell) but the clean-up and other things were not what I would have expected.

Haven't done the siding..... Probably should, but I think I need new windows first. Still have some plate glass windows (Single pane) in the house too. Not very warm in the winter months.

I think I need new windows first. Still have some plate glass windows (Single pane) in the house too. Not very warm in the winter months.
I was fairly lucky. I have 25 windows in the house and about half of them had been replaced with decent double pane windows shortly before I bought the house. I've replaced most of the remaining windows as I redid each room. I still have 2 on the staircase and upper landing and 2 in a bedroom I haven't redone yet. All in time.

j

Ah ha! Even the little guys think this whole election should be started over!

151229113638-03-plague-animals-exlarge-169.jpg

Washington (CNN)Reports of voter intimidation, rigged elections and worse have put Democrats and Republicans on alert for just about any culprit, save the one bushy-tailed bandit that stalled an Ohio county's voting on Halloween.

Voters in Miami County, Ohio were forced to use backup paper ballots after a squirrel stalled early voting there Monday. Details were sparse, but the Dayton Daily News reported that a squirrel was blamed for a power failure that stretched from 9:15 a.m. Monday to 5 p.m. that same day.
"We lost power and we were forced to vote by paper," Eric Morgan, deputy director of the Miami County Board of Elections, told CNN.
A call to the county's maintenance chief for more details was not immediately returned Thursday. Morgan did not know offhand whether the critter survived the power outage.

(Oh please! As if a mere few thousand volts would be enough to stop a squirrel)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter