• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The “wet market”

There's a huge emotional investment in trying to pin this on "someone else". And it's happening all over the world. But at this point it serves no practical purpose.

Agreed. Not surprising leaders are doing this though. It has worked so well in the past to scapegoat someone else.

Interesting:

State Department leaked cables renew theories on origin of coronavirus

https://www.foxnews.com/world/state-department-cables-coronavirus-origin-chinese-lab-bats

These leaks are not leaks - they are intentional and are a part of a large effort to deflect blame. It is what governments do. Everyone blames everyone else - no one takes responsibility. But it shouldn't be necessary. None of us should be looking to assign blame right now. We should focus on fixing the problem. We will have plenty of time to figure out how this happened after we have this under control.

There's nothing inherently wrong or weird about a wet market. The issue is they need regulation to maintain sanitary conditions.
Ditto. The name even refers to how they are hosed down constantly with water. A lot of fish & produce markets fall under that term. They dont all slaughter animals on site. They arent inherantly gross, they just csn be. Like most thing

Ditto. The name even refers to how they are hosed down constantly with water. A lot of fish & produce markets fall under that term. They dont all slaughter animals on site. They arent inherantly gross, they just csn be. Like most thing
The issue is the type that's commonly associated with China, where exotic animals are slaughtered on site, and often feature animals that are very risky due to them potentially carrying zoonotic diseases that can affect humans. They've been a known risk of developing coronaviruses ever since the SARS outbreak 17 years ago. Although the outbreak is now comparatively smaller to COVID-19 novel, it didn't become as widespread as overseas tourism from China (and vice versa) wasn't as big as it was in recent years. I recall not seeing many Chinese tourists a decade ago, but a lot in recent years, so it's making me think that mass tourism to overseas countries was still being encouraged despite Wuhan and other cities in China being quarantined, and that possibly played a huge part in its worldwide spread. Not to mention those coming back from those regions of China where those risky markets operate could have also brought the disease home.

The issue is the type that's commonly associated with China, where exotic animals are slaughtered on site, and often feature animals that are very risky due to them potentially carrying zoonotic diseases that can affect humans. They've been a known risk of developing coronaviruses ever since the SARS outbreak 17 years ago. Although the outbreak is now comparatively smaller to COVID-19 novel, it didn't become as widespread as overseas tourism from China (and vice versa) wasn't as big as it was in recent years. I recall not seeing many Chinese tourists a decade ago, but a lot in recent years, so it's making me think that mass tourism to overseas countries was still being encouraged despite Wuhan and other cities in China being quarantined, and that possibly played a huge part in its worldwide spread. Not to mention those coming back from those regions of China where those risky markets operate could have also brought the disease home.
I get that. I was just saying the name, “wet” isnt about slaughter. Its a refernce to water. Because the term can also be used for produce/fish markets that are regularly rinsed down, its not surprising American cities have “wet markets”

It would be surprising if those markets slaughtered animals, but thats not a feature of all wet markets. We need better names

One of the big deals is that what the PRC government calls "overseas Chinese" are visiting China and then coming back as well as expats coming back - especially around the lunar New Year. Then throw in people traveling to/from China on business. Originally it was all attributed to people who visited this particular market, but it turned out to be spreading human to human.

China has no lock on these diseases. There was about as likely a chance of one of these viruses being present in almost any continent. However, in China there's now a taste for exotic meat as a show of wealth. This isn't like bushmeat which is consumed because it's cheap. And even if they make it illegal, someone is going to insist on breaking the law

China has no lock on these diseases. There was about as likely a chance of one of these viruses being present in almost any continent. However, in China there's now a taste for exotic meat as a show of wealth. This isn't like bushmeat which is consumed because it's cheap. And even if they make it illegal, someone is going to insist on breaking the law
That's if Prohibition is anything to go by, yet I have a feeling it will be poorly enforced, much like dumping plastic waste scot-free into the Yangtze, the Yellow or the Pearl rivers.
Nobody is going to forget how it originated. But giving it a specific label to pin it on a specific location doesn't serve a legitimate purpose. "Covid-19" was chosen specifically to give a neutral name.
Ebola and Zika all have location-specific names, as it was where they originated from. COVID-19 to me just sounds like a euphemism being used to avoid names like 'China-originated Coronavirus' or 'Wuhan Coronavirus', even though some are already backronyming it as 'China-Originated Viral Infectious Disease - discovered in late 2019' or 'China-Originated Virus In December 2019'.

That's if Prohibition is anything to go by, yet I have a feeling it will be poorly enforced, much like dumping plastic waste scot-free into the Yangtze, the Yellow or the Pearl rivers.

Ebola and Zika all have location-specific names, as it was where they originated from. COVID-19 to me just sounds like a euphemism being used to avoid names like 'China-originated Coronavirus' or 'Wuhan Coronavirus', even though some are already backronyming it as 'China-Originated Viral Infectious Disease - discovered in late 2019' or 'China-Originated Virus In December 2019'.
Again - what's the use? We have the 2009 H1N1 outbreak that started in Mexico and the southwest US. At this point trying to give it a geographic name is really just about scapegoating.

I know plenty about China. People are extremely lax about following the law/rules and the government is very lax about enforcing the law. That is until the government decides that it's time to bring down the hammer. That hammer hits very hard when they decide to spring into action.

That's already been disproved. Earliest Chinese patients had no connection to the market whatsoever.

we might be confusing the visual of a wet market with what we see the the many movies that stage a pharmacy visual in asia on the big screen. To me, the two are both the same for potential disease.

The working theory of researchers in Guangzhou, China, was that SARS-CoV-2 had originated in bats and, prior to infecting humans, was circulating among pangolins. The illicit Chinese trade of pangolins for use in traditional Chinese medicine was suggested as a vector for human transmission.[63][65] Researchers recently have implicated the pangolins as intermediate hosts in the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as the discovery of multiple lineages of pangolin coronavirus and their similarity to SARS-CoV-2 suggests that pangolins are hosts for novel coronaviruses. [66] However, further study was less conclusive on pangolins as the definitive source of (SARS-CoV-2), namely being the bridge that the virus used to jump from bats to humans, after it emerged that the 99% match did not actually refer to the entire genome, but to a specific site known as the receptor-binding domain (RBD).[67] A whole-genome comparison found that the pangolin and human viruses share only 90.3% of their RNA.[67] Ecologists worried that the early speculation about pangolins being the source may have led to mass slaughters, endangering the animals further, which was similar to what happened to civets during the SARS outbreak.[67][68]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter