Table for Humina, Humina?_____completed! 7/30

A note from your friendly neighborhood Shenanigoat:

I'm going to skip over the Riverside Mill and do Tutto Italia first. Before I get into the meat of things I want to let it be known that this was my favorite dining experiance of the whole trip. Better even than Flying Fish, but the wall of flames could have something to do with my preference here.:rolleyes1 I am Italian on my father's side, even though for some reason recessive traits took hold and I came out with reddish blonde hair and skin so white Voldemort would look quite swarthy by comparison. Those Irish genes are powerful I guess- at least I got the drinking ability too.:lmao:

With my Italian genes, growing up in South Jersey, and a Nana who taught me how to turn out meals for at least 12 (there was never less than twelve) in a postage stamp kitchen, I am super picky about my Italian food and it takes a bit to impress me. So this meal was a more than pleasant suprise.

------

This was my last full day in the park:sad1:, and I was up and ready for the EPCOT ropedrop. Once again all of the "open" turnstiles had lines, so I enquired about the row to the right and was told they would be opened as well.

The cheese stands alone
dis075.jpg

dis076.jpg

dis077.jpg

After an exciting morning where I got ot ride Soarin 3 times suck it everyone else! and a showing of the World Showcase players, I was able to meander down the still pretty empty World Showcase to the Italy Pavillion.

Shrek voice:Maybe Italy's compensating for something.
dis122.jpg

Italy looked like the zombie alarm had gone off and was completely deserted. I was probably the first person in the restaurant. The Host inquired how many were in my party and like the nerd that I am I replied "Oh Solo Mio".

After 5 or so very awkward seconds I was led to my table.

dis101.jpg

Other patrons started coming in as well and we were all seated in the main room, instead of the outside seating area. This place is gorgeous. It looks exactly the same as when it was Alfredos. (RIP Alfredos, your artery clogging goodness is missed!) The tables seem to be a bit close together, but this is really all that the Italy pavillion has going for it, so i suppose they have to cram in as many people as they can.

I shared a lovely meal with this guy's back.
dis100.jpg

Now here's where things get awesome. My server was named Leonardo (and I managed not to alienate him by withholding making any lame ninja turtle jokes). He was the most attentive server I have had on a disney vacation. My water glass was always filled. He recommended items, he small talked, but wasn't overly chatty, he was prompt returning my card after payment. He was just the best ever. Sometimes as a solo person you can feel like you're getting the bums rush, but not in Italy and not on Leonardo's watch.

For my beverage I ordered the Bellini: Prosecco and peach puree

The Bellini, as we all know, is named after the great Canadian: Paul Bellini.
dis099.jpg

The Bellini was perfect and is a total when in Rome or a resonable facsimile there of type things that you have to get. I also recieved a very nice assortment of bread, with the usual for Italian digs- crunchy crackers. You must have bread with Italian food for all the sopping!

dis098.jpg

For my starter Leonardo recommended the Parmisian Melanzae: Baked Eggplant, Fiora di Latta Mozzarella, Tomato, and Parmesan.

dis102.jpg

My thoughts on this can be summed up thusly: humina humina humina humina

The Eggplant was perfect and had just enough cheese, sauce, and it just completely melted in your mouth.

My entree was Pan Zotti: Ricotta Cheese Ravioli, Zucchini, Basil, Pancetta, and Cream Sauce.

mmmm fancy bacon
dis105.jpg

The pancetta is what sold me on this. I freakin love pancetta. It added the right amount of saltyness to this meal. You might think that it's be too heavy, but it really wasn't for me. I'm used to eating larger meals at lunch, rather than at diner, so your milage may vary. Everything about this was perfect and I licked the plate clean.

After that I got myself a nice little espresso. I just love the tiny biscotti! And look- actual crema! In WDW of all places. Dreams really do come true.

dis109.jpg

There were lots of really good looking dessert options, but Tiramisu is my favorite dessert of all desserts. This one was a bonus- Chocolate Tiramisu.

Thank you sir, may I have another?
dis106.jpg

The Tiramisu was awesome. It wasn't overly sweet- even with the chocolate in it. It seems like at every step of this meal I just really made the right choices for myself and it turned out wonderful.

Here are some shots of the lobby, it's really a pretty place:

dis113.jpg

dis112.jpg

Even the bathroom is good looking here:

dis110.jpg

And so ended my favorite meal in WDW. Leonardo was awesome, and it was because of him that I have my dining review title. Because my mind just always has pop culture references running around in it. Televison has warped my fragile little mind.:happytv:

I have read that lots of people are miffed that Alfredo's is gone, or are iffy on Tutto Italia but in my opinion this place is a worthy successor. If like Highlander there can only be one I'll take this place. It's menu is really varied and changes seasonally and the servers are great, even if they don't understand your wonky sense of humor.:rolleyes1

dis118.jpg

Next up: a review of Riverside Mill. Where I never really ordered a meal, just snacks, but will still be offering my opinion and pictures anyway.

I'm the genetic mutation of my Italian family-it happens. Blonde hair, blue eyes and skin white enough to rival Casper, so I feel your pain. :rotfl: My mouth watered over your Tutto meal. We enjoyed it there last year also and I LOVED the Eggplant Mezzalane. I too am way picky on my Italian food and this totally filled the bill for me. I'm a bit jealous...your entree was not on the menu when I was there. I can't remember what my entree was :confused3 but the eggplant and Tiramisu were very memorable. Now I'm in the mood for some good Italian (not hard to find in Jersey). May have to drag Fred and the kids out tonight. Not kidding either. ;)

Wow, Tutto looks like a really pretty restaurant. The food didn't really appeal to me (not to my taste) but the restaurant looks lovely.

Yum! Loved Tutto when we ate there two years ago. The tiramisu with the pistachio gelato (dd's leftovers), mmmmm.

Can't fit Tutto in this year but it is at the top of my list for next year! That eggplant is calling my name.....:love:

another wonderful review. Thank you for the update. We never ate at Tutto and will love to try it on our next Disney trip. Food looks yummy

We're going back to Tutto our first night in September. I can't wait. :goodvibes

Great review! Despite the fact that I am 99.9% Irish and Scottish (with the .01% being one lone German who wondered into our Celtic mix a few generations ago), I am a fiend for Italian food, and my mother and I always made Alfredo's a stop when we went to Epcot and I have fond memories of the place. I was sorry to see it go, but with the reviews that Tutto has been getting, I think DH and the kiddos and I will make it a stop on next year's trip for sure.

I took my drink and was walking through the UK when I couldn't help but notice (because they were jovially barking for people to watch the show) that the World Showcase Players were about to perform. So I stopped and watched and proceeded to laught my tiny behind off.

Grail! Grail! Grail! Ugh!
five163.jpg

If you are a fan of very silly things, then I recommend this show. I think I ended up watching it 5 more times over the remainder of the trip. It's also conveniently located right by the pub, so you can keep yourself refreshed for the entertainment.

I love that show too -- always a must do for me when I'm in Epcot. It's definitely silly but always a good time. Last time I was there solo I just had to see the show. So I sat down with everyone else, and was minding my own business...when I got picked to be in the show! Of course I was slightly mortified, especially since I didn't have any other members of my party there to cheer me on, but it ended up being fun. After the show they gave all the participants buttons and said if you display this button next time you come to see the show, they won't pick you again. I'll definitely be sporting that button in August!

After an exciting morning where I got ot ride Soarin 3 times suck it everyone else! and a showing of the World Showcase players, I was able to meander down the still pretty empty World Showcase to the Italy Pavillion.

Shrek voice:Maybe Italy's compensating for something.
dis122.jpg

Italy looked like the zombie alarm had gone off and was completely deserted. I was probably the first person in the restaurant. The Host inquired how many were in my party and like the nerd that I am I replied "Oh Solo Mio".

After 5 or so very awkward seconds I was led to my table.

dis101.jpg

Other patrons started coming in as well and we were all seated in the main room, instead of the outside seating area. This place is gorgeous. It looks exactly the same as when it was Alfredos. (RIP Alfredos, your artery clogging goodness is missed!) The tables seem to be a bit close together, but this is really all that the Italy pavillion has going for it, so i suppose they have to cram in as many people as they can.

I shared a lovely meal with this guy's back.
dis100.jpg

Now here's where things get awesome. My server was named Leonardo (and I managed not to alienate him by withholding making any lame ninja turtle jokes). He was the most attentive server I have had on a disney vacation. My water glass was always filled. He recommended items, he small talked, but wasn't overly chatty, he was prompt returning my card after payment. He was just the best ever. Sometimes as a solo person you can feel like you're getting the bums rush, but not in Italy and not on Leonardo's watch.

For my beverage I ordered the Bellini: Prosecco and peach puree

The Bellini, as we all know, is named after the great Canadian: Paul Bellini.
dis099.jpg

The Bellini was perfect and is a total when in Rome or a resonable facsimile there of type things that you have to get. I also recieved a very nice assortment of bread, with the usual for Italian digs- crunchy crackers. You must have bread with Italian food for all the sopping!

dis098.jpg

For my starter Leonardo recommended the Parmisian Melanzae: Baked Eggplant, Fiora di Latta Mozzarella, Tomato, and Parmesan.

dis102.jpg

My thoughts on this can be summed up thusly: humina humina humina humina

The Eggplant was perfect and had just enough cheese, sauce, and it just completely melted in your mouth.

My entree was Pan Zotti: Ricotta Cheese Ravioli, Zucchini, Basil, Pancetta, and Cream Sauce.

mmmm fancy bacon
dis105.jpg

The pancetta is what sold me on this. I freakin love pancetta. It added the right amount of saltyness to this meal. You might think that it's be too heavy, but it really wasn't for me. I'm used to eating larger meals at lunch, rather than at diner, so your milage may vary. Everything about this was perfect and I licked the plate clean.

After that I got myself a nice little espresso. I just love the tiny biscotti! And look- actual crema! In WDW of all places. Dreams really do come true.

dis109.jpg

There were lots of really good looking dessert options, but Tiramisu is my favorite dessert of all desserts. This one was a bonus- Chocolate Tiramisu.

Thank you sir, may I have another?
dis106.jpg

The Tiramisu was awesome. It wasn't overly sweet- even with the chocolate in it. It seems like at every step of this meal I just really made the right choices for myself and it turned out wonderful.

I love that you rode Soarin 3 times! It's my favorite ride and can't wait to ride it again in a little over 3 weeks! That is the nice thing about being solo -- no one else has to deal with my Soarin obsession :rotfl: Last time I was there solo I think I rode it about 7-8 times over the trip :rolleyes1

Great review of Tutto Italia! I am drooling over that eggplant! I ate there last Oct and didn't get the eggplant and am now regretting that decision. I have an ADR there in Oct and am hoping it's still on the menu :thumbsup2

I have to tell you that I added in Tusker House to my Oct ADR list thanks to your review. The food looks so interesting and I've always wanted to try Boma but can't fit another dinner in. So this seems like a good substitute.

Thanks again for all the great reviews!

Man I am a DORK.:headache: :rolleyes1

I have been reading your title "Hu-man-eea" this whole time... :rolleyes1it finally makes sense to me now. :rotfl2:

Loved your review of Tutto. We have our official first dinner planned there and I continue to fret over it. I have almost relaxed about it now.

I will HAVE to order that chocolate tiramisu though. YUMMY!

Thanks for the review.

From a fellow South Jersey girl (who will be in Ocean City in a few weeks)...GREAT REVIEWS!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

I'm the genetic mutation of my Italian family-it happens. Blonde hair, blue eyes and skin white enough to rival Casper, so I feel your pain. :rotfl: My mouth watered over your Tutto meal. We enjoyed it there last year also and I LOVED the Eggplant Mezzalane. I too am way picky on my Italian food and this totally filled the bill for me. I'm a bit jealous...your entree was not on the menu when I was there. I can't remember what my entree was :confused3 but the eggplant and Tiramisu were very memorable. Now I'm in the mood for some good Italian (not hard to find in Jersey). May have to drag Fred and the kids out tonight. Not kidding either. ;)

I hope you got some good Italian food. The only way I get guarantee it out in SoCal is if I have to cook it.:rotfl:

Wow, Tutto looks like a really pretty restaurant. The food didn't really appeal to me (not to my taste) but the restaurant looks lovely.

It was really nice. Pretty quite too. It didn't have that echo chamber thing that some Disney restaurants have.

Yum! Loved Tutto when we ate there two years ago. The tiramisu with the pistachio gelato (dd's leftovers), mmmmm.

Oh that gelato sounds wonderful:cloud9:

Can't fit Tutto in this year but it is at the top of my list for next year! That eggplant is calling my name.....:love:

It's so hard to fit in everything, between the old favorites and the new places, huh?

another wonderful review. Thank you for the update. We never ate at Tutto and will love to try it on our next Disney trip. Food looks yummy

It's almost empty at lunch, so that's a great time to get out of the sun and relax for a bit.:thumbsup2

We're going back to Tutto our first night in September. I can't wait. :goodvibes

I hope you like it! I'm saving it for my last day on my Sept trip.

Your review was great, but this comment made me burst out with a laugh :rotfl: :thumbsup2

:laughing: Thanks!

Great review! Despite the fact that I am 99.9% Irish and Scottish (with the .01% being one lone German who wondered into our Celtic mix a few generations ago), I am a fiend for Italian food, and my mother and I always made Alfredo's a stop when we went to Epcot and I have fond memories of the place. I was sorry to see it go, but with the reviews that Tutto has been getting, I think DH and the kiddos and I will make it a stop on next year's trip for sure.

I love how most familys have that :confused: ancestor and your like; what was he doing here?

I love that show too -- always a must do for me when I'm in Epcot. It's definitely silly but always a good time. Last time I was there solo I just had to see the show. So I sat down with everyone else, and was minding my own business...when I got picked to be in the show! Of course I was slightly mortified, especially since I didn't have any other members of my party there to cheer me on, but it ended up being fun. After the show they gave all the participants buttons and said if you display this button next time you come to see the show, they won't pick you again. I'll definitely be sporting that button in August!

I love that you rode Soarin 3 times! It's my favorite ride and can't wait to ride it again in a little over 3 weeks! That is the nice thing about being solo -- no one else has to deal with my Soarin obsession :rotfl: Last time I was there solo I think I rode it about 7-8 times over the trip :rolleyes1

Great review of Tutto Italia! I am drooling over that eggplant! I ate there last Oct and didn't get the eggplant and am now regretting that decision. I have an ADR there in Oct and am hoping it's still on the menu :thumbsup2

I have to tell you that I added in Tusker House to my Oct ADR list thanks to your review. The food looks so interesting and I've always wanted to try Boma but can't fit another dinner in. So this seems like a good substitute.

Thanks again for all the great reviews!

Solo trips are the best! I love my Spouse but it's so nice to do what I want when I want to. And I'm glad you're trying Tusker House. They have so many good options. I'm really going to miss it this trip, but I want to give Yak & Yeti a try. You'll have to pile up your plate extra high for me;)

ahhhh, I ca't wait to try tutto now!

I hope you like it, it's awesome. Really nice looking restaurant too.

Man I am a DORK.:headache: :rolleyes1

I have been reading your title "Hu-man-eea" this whole time... :rolleyes1it finally makes sense to me now. :rotfl2:

Loved your review of Tutto. We have our official first dinner planned there and I continue to fret over it. I have almost relaxed about it now.

I will HAVE to order that chocolate tiramisu though. YUMMY!

Thanks for the review.

Fra-Gee-Lay? :lmao: I'm sorry, but that's what your comment made me think of. I'm sure you'll love Tutto! And the tiramisu is almost defidently going to be there, even with menu changes, since it's such a classic.

From a fellow South Jersey girl (who will be in Ocean City in a few weeks)...GREAT REVIEWS!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

Thanks- I hope you enjoy America's Greatest Family Resort:hippie:

On this trip I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. This is an absolutely wonderful resort. It is a bit more spread out than some would probably be comfortable with, but I am a walker so it doesn't really bother me. And besides, while you're walking around the landscape is so lush and lovely.:lovestruc POR has 2 dining establishments- Boatwrights Dining Hall, a table service restaurant, and Riverside Mill, a food court. I didn't eat at Boatwrights- too many ADRs elsewhere.

dis259.jpg

And I didn't really "eat" at Riverside Mill, but I did grab my morning banana from them and about 20 or so bottles of water. Next time I am totally shipping water, yesh. So what follows is just an overview, a couple of photos that I took- but I thought someone might be interested.:surfweb:

five180.jpg

five181.jpg

five183.jpg

five182.jpg

five184.jpg

So you can see there are people, but it's not overly crowded. In the AM I would only see a few families, but I was up at butt-crack of dawn o'clock so it was mostly just me and the worms. The staff were always pleasant, from my engagements with them and from overhearing other guests. And the breakfast platters did look mighty tasty, but not something I'd want to drag to the bus stop.

Next up: More World Showcase boozes- and I correct my Grand Marnier debacle and get the real goods!:thumbsup2

An afternoon spent wandering WS imbibing the indigenous beverages of each country. What more could you ask for, in a vacation?:cloud9:

dis120.jpg

The one thing that I needed to do was get my tiny hiney to France and try out the Lemon Citron Slushy. It was time to see if this would be a delectable treat as promised, or fall flat for me like it's orange counterpart.

Survey sayz:
dis131.jpg

Success! We have tastebuds dancing.:banana: Perhaps it's because I was in an incredibly good mood after my fantastic lunch. Perhaps it's because it was getting really warm out and this was nice and cold. Perhaps it was that my heart grew three sizes that day. But for whatever reason I thought this was awesome. It was lemon-y, not too sweet, and even though it didn't have a real "kick" to it, it was good.

More time was spent wandering sucking down my lemony treat and being asked by passersby what I was enjoying. I have never been asked so often about a food/beverage item I was consuming at WDW, I must have looked like I was really enjoying it.:lmao:

And here I am using my legs like a sucker.
dis242.jpg

Back to Italy I went where there was another lemon drink that I had planned to try this trip. The Italian Margarita (possibly spelled with an H). This was reported to be much tarter than the lemon slushy and since to me sour > sweet I was ready to test drive it.

Oh Grandpa
dis141.jpg

This was perfect for me- much more so than the Lemon Citron Slushy. This was super tart- which I really like. I know that isn't something that is for everyone but for me it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone is invited. There was this funny little street show going on, so I enjoyed my beverage while watching.

I can't believe we're wearing the same thing. That is sooo embarassing.
dis144.jpg

After the show I realized that somwhere between France, wandering the looooooong way around to Italy and getting my drink I had lost one of my pins from my bag! I was able to get a replacement for it (it's like a chibi Dale) but it doesn't really match the chip one since I'd had the set for about 5 years now, the colors had been changed a bit. It's not something you can tell from a distance, but I know it and it bugs my inner OCDness.

To cheer myself up I went to the UK for a street show and had a Welsh Dragon, which I suppose would be my favorite beverage of the trip. This does have melon liqueur in it, and I'm not a fan of melons, but somehow it all comes out perfectly in this mild little drink. Perhaps it also helps that green is my favorite color?

dis145.jpg

I find there is nothing better to do at WDW than wander around WS. It is truely my happy place. I do sort of commando through the parks I guess. It doesn't seem like it to me, but I know I'm up before most guests (heck I'm at the turnstiles before some guests are even up:rotfl:), plan my ADRs, and have a list of what rides I'm doing in what order that I make on touringplans.com. Even with all that so called mania I still usually spend my afternoons on the lazy side, just ambling about, having a nice drink, and then with an earlier dinner.

I guess you can have the best of both world.:hug:

Tune in Next time for the: Tangerine Cafe and my hideous transformation into Sloth from the Goonies (I am not even kidding about this)

I'm glad you rectified your earlier error and tried the superior drink...I'm also mightily happy you enjoyed it.

Can't wait to try that Welsh Dragon!!! Glad you enjoyed the Italian Margarita, I LOVE it!!!!!:thumbsup2

I don't know how I've missed the Italian Margarita all this time, but its definitely on my hit list for the next visit. Sounds like you had a great time around the WS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter