Staying onsite but not going to the parks

While I'm not a fan of the value resorts, in your case and given the ages of your kids I'd say stay in the value and save the the money.

I agree with this. In this situation I would do the value. Save the $300 for food or an extra park day! Have fun!

Value resorts for money saver or Cabana Bay for a new experience. CB has a lazy river, bowling alley, ability to pool hop and very easy access to Universal. If you want to go to Universal, that is. Yes rides tend to be more thrilling-- but is there is a Harry Potter fan in your group, that person(s) will be in heaven. Also Minions, Spider-Man, The Mummy and Transformer rides. It is not just rollercoasters but has a lot of simulator based rides. My kids starting liking HP at age of 7 so it just depends on your kids. Budget for interactive wands if going in that direction, though.

Value resorts for money saver or Cabana Bay for a new experience. CB has a lazy river, bowling alley, ability to pool hop and very easy access to Universal. If you want to go to Universal, that is. Yes rides tend to be more thrilling-- but is there is a Harry Potter fan in your group, that person(s) will be in heaven. Also Minions, Spider-Man, The Mummy and Transformer rides. It is not just rollercoasters but has a lot of simulator based rides. My kids starting liking HP at age of 7 so it just depends on your kids. Budget for interactive wands if going in that direction, though.
Both my kids love Harry Potter so they would have fun. They also love thrilling rides, me, not so much! But I am willing to do some roller coasters that aren't too crazy. I like mine train and big thunder mountain at Disney but can't do space mountain or Mount Everest in AK. We went to US/IOA 3 years ago before they built diagon alley and the kids had a blast. They loved Hogsmead but the youngest was too small to ride a lot of the thrill rides such as forbidden journey. Now he makes all the height requirements. He's a tall 6 y.o.

Cabana bay looks great too but the only thing holding me back is Disney's familiarity. I feel "safer" alone with the kids at Disney which is silly because i know it's all in my head but Disney is like home away from home for me.

Another thing that bugs me is that I can't do the park to park tickets for 2 days (too expensive) so they won't get to try out the train between Harry Potter lands. I'm just going to do a 2 day single park ticket if I go to universal. Also the kids will want the wands and maybe some of the other souvenirs found in the HP section which I seriously can't afford. Disney souvenirs don't get them as excited. Don't know if I should factor that in.

Last edited:
I think the value resort plus 2 day park tickets is the best idea. You can always do Universal sometime when you're not on such a tight budget!

What about Seaworld? A "fun card" is about $100 each and it is good for unlimited visits for a year.

I am going crazy. That is what's happening! Can't decide lol

Build yourself a little spreadsheet. Set your total budget, which includes the money the kids committed to the trip. Start with the various resort pricing, because these costs are set in stone for wherever you choose. Add in travel expenses such a car rental for the destinations you are considering. Look at ticket prices and factor those costs in each location as well. Now food.

When I am going back and forth I will begin with hard costs, and then see what I get for the same money for each choice. Many times when I compare choices apples to apples I can stop all the swirling my mind does without that hard visual in front of me. If it's close and you cannot decide between two, let the kids chime in.

Diagon Alley is amazing. We spent hours just wandering around. You truly feel like you are in a different world from the rest of the park. And if your kids like water rides, Universal's blow Disney's out of the water. I totally get being familiar with Disney and wanting that for a short trip minus dh. It is so easy to do when you know what to do. We love Disney, but Universal, I found, is much more pleasant for just hanging around and the staff really seems to want you there. Which made it great for me when I took my 3 (older then your's) kids by myself. I think you would have a wonderful time at Cabana Bay. But if you cannot afford park to park tickets and interactive wands (about $50 each) right now, I wouldn't go. Its not just the Hogwarts Express, but the ease of getting between the two parks that makes that a must imho. Also, if you go to Universal you have to pay for transport to/from airport (approx. $100 rt). So, you may want to stick with Disney bc of budget or, as someone suggested go try Sea World. I think the old water ride filled Nickelodeon Resort is a SeaWorld hotel (transportation to SeaWorld, I think).

Build yourself a little spreadsheet. Set your total budget, which includes the money the kids committed to the trip. Start with the various resort pricing, because these costs are set in stone for wherever you choose. Add in travel expenses such a car rental for the destinations you are considering. Look at ticket prices and factor those costs in each location as well. Now food.

When I am going back and forth I will begin with hard costs, and then see what I get for the same money for each choice. Many times when I compare choices apples to apples I can stop all the swirling my mind does without that hard visual in front of me. If it's close and you cannot decide between two, let the kids chime in.
This is great advise. I am doing that right now. Thanks
Diagon Alley is amazing. We spent hours just wandering around. You truly feel like you are in a different world from the rest of the park. And if your kids like water rides, Universal's blow Disney's out of the water. I totally get being familiar with Disney and wanting that for a short trip minus dh. It is so easy to do when you know what to do. We love Disney, but Universal, I found, is much more pleasant for just hanging around and the staff really seems to want you there. Which made it great for me when I took my 3 (older then your's) kids by myself. I think you would have a wonderful time at Cabana Bay. But if you cannot afford park to park tickets and interactive wands (about $50 each) right now, I wouldn't go. Its not just the Hogwarts Express, but the ease of getting between the two parks that makes that a must imho. Also, if you go to Universal you have to pay for transport to/from airport (approx. $100 rt). So, you may want to stick with Disney bc of budget or, as someone suggested go try Sea World. I think the old water ride filled Nickelodeon Resort is a SeaWorld hotel (transportation to SeaWorld, I think).
It hard to decide because Disney've done so many times, Universal would feel like something new especially with the new Diagon Alley and new rides. The park to park is just too expensive. I appreciate you letting me know about the hog warts express and the wands, I think we'll go back another year when I have a bigger budget and can enjoy all the park has to offer.

Yes, I do think you're crazy. Sorry, but you asked. I would never pay Disney prices for lodging and food if I wasn't also going to the Disney parks. There are plenty of places where you can go to escape the cold where you don't have to pay Disney prices. Heck, you could probably go on a last minute cruise (not Disney, though) for about the same price.
Don't agree with this at all. We are dvc members and a good handful of our trips are park free. We are in one now. Ten nights at the Boardwalk. We are having a blast and I actually think my kids prefer these sort of trips. We are enjoying the resorts, eating lots of ice cream, spending time at Community Hall. We plan to go to the movies, bowl, play golf. Today we had a character brunch at 'Ohana. We are enjoying taking long walks in the sunshine. Best part? We aren't fighting any crowds. Have fun.

Don't agree with this at all. We are dvc members and a good handful of our trips are park free. We are in one now. Ten nights at the Boardwalk. We are having a blast and I actually think my kids prefer these sort of trips. We are enjoying the resorts, eating lots of ice cream, spending time at Community Hall. We plan to go to the movies, bowl, play golf. Today we had a character brunch at 'Ohana. We are enjoying taking long walks in the sunshine. Best part? We aren't fighting any crowds. Have fun.

Well it's probably easier to do that since you are DVC members though, right? We would never blow the cash we spend on WDW hotels and not go to parks. It would make no sense for us. If we just want a relaxing vacation to get away from the winter, that is what the Caribbean is for! And it can be cheaper! :)

Or go to Key West to get away from the winter weather! :)

Well it's probably easier to do that since you are DVC members though, right? We would never blow the cash we spend on WDW hotels and not go to parks. It would make no sense for us. If we just want a relaxing vacation to get away from the winter, that is what the Caribbean is for! And it can be cheaper! :)

Or go to Key West to get away from the winter weather! :)
You're probably right re our dvc membership. We love our dvc because it keeps Disney affordable. Plus we hate the beach with a passion. I guess Disney just fits!

We have stayed at WDW with kids and not gone in the parks before! You totally can have a great time!

There are pool activities to enjoy every day! Fort Wilderness has the stables you can walk around and Chip and Dale nightly campfire. If your children are small enough they could also enjoy a pony ride. My children also enjoyed the archery experience there. A character meal at one of the resorts might be a good idea, since the nine year old will be considered an adult when he/she turns ten...A ride on the monorail is a great way to see the world. If there is an extra warm day, maybe a trip to a water park would be fun.

I say go for it! Have a great time!

$1,000 for POR during that time.
A room at Pop is $558. 4 day park ticket as a Canadian are $701. The discounted 4 day tickets are about $120 more than two day. I'd probably go with some sort of tickets. Ship groceries and try and avoid buying as many meals. Especially sit down meals.
Have a great time.

Last edited:
I think that if you were to do a 2 day ticket for a 4 day trip, you would probably find yourself appreciating it even more. Two days of go, go, go and two days of relaxation. The selection of parks would be the big decision. You would probably find PLENTY of other things to keep you occupied for a 1 day park trip as well.

I was discussing this thread with my wife and we were thinking of all the things you can do without stepping into a park. Yes, like someone has mentioned, some do cost money so does it add up to an extra day worth of park tickets?

1. Check out the other resorts. (Free)
2. Let the kids play on the playgrounds at some of the resorts. (Free)
3. Swim at the resort. Pool activities all day. (Free)
4. Ride the monorail. Hey, you could technically see some of Epcot without a ticket! (Free)
5. Take a boat ride from Magic Kingdom to WL, GF or the Poly. (Free)
6. Take a boat ride to Disney Springs from one of the PO resorts. (Free)
7. Watch the fireworks from the Poly or GF. (Free)
8. Check out the Electrical Water Pageant. (Free)
9. Movie under the stars at the resorts. (Free with free popcorn too)
10. Camp Fires at the resorts.
11. Bowling at Disney Springs.
12. See a movie at Disney Springs. (Although that is something you can do at home)
13. Pirate Cruise for the kiddos.
14. Rent a surrey bike.
15. Fishing at POR
16. Mini Golf

We were also talking about the comfort aspect of each other traveling such a far distance (and out of country in your case). Call it a false sense of security in the Disney Bubble, but we feel very safe there. We know that once the plane lands, everything is taken care of. Magic Express picks you up. No need to rush to get your checked baggage; they take care of it for you. No rental cars or unfamiliar streets to navigate (especially in a tourist location where no one else seems to know where they're going either). All transportation you need while you're there. Same on the way back to the airport.

I'm going on a short golf trip down there next week with a couple friends from work and my wife said she liked the idea of Disney more than another city just due to the ease of transportation alone. When we started adding it all up: Pop Century with my AP discount, free transportation, prices of flight, it became more and more the most affordable over going to another destination.

Do whatcha want to do. :) I'm not harping on b/c I want to force you into something else. I just want to make sure you know, well, what I know. :)

2 day no-hopping adult WDW ticket is 215 for an adult. 2 day WITH hopping adult ticket at Uni from undercovertourist (b/c UO was having maintenance) is 242. There's a difference but is it THAT much different given that you're getting hopping and can see what is, in effect, TWO neat attractions that allow you to go between parks? (the train is different going each way) And lets you into both parks?

Were you, by chance, checking packages? Packages are rarely less expensive than a la carte in case you were checking packages. I look at loewshotels.com and then buy tickets if needed at undercovertourist.com.

at 15 my DGD will still not go on thrill rides or rides with bumps, etc.

FWIW there's more to Uni than that. Our first trips my son couldn't (and then wouldn't) go on anything big and still had a blast. My husband is of a size that does not allow him to ride any of the big coasters or the main attractions, and he continues to have a blast. We went multiple times from 2011-end of 2015 and DH never went on any of the big rides, and DS and I rarely did. FWIW.

Cabana bay looks great too but the only thing holding me back is Disney's familiarity. I feel "safer" alone with the kids at Disney which is silly because i know it's all in my head but Disney is like home away from home for me.

I can understand that. But Universal is more like Disneyland but with property. It's small, compact, and feels like a neighborhood.

And if your kids like water rides, Universal's blow Disney's out of the water.

LOL. Worth noting that Uni's water rides do not allow the question "will I get wet?" but "WHEN will my underpants and socks dry?" Just take a shower, throw on jogging clothes and sandals, and get on the water rides. :)

Well it's probably easier to do that since you are DVC members though, right? We would never blow the cash we spend on WDW hotels and not go to parks

;) Sure, just spend the 16K (2009 prices) and then nearly 1K a year (and we have one of the cheapest resorts for annual dues) for the honor of belonging... No cash involved there. ;)

We have done it a few times, with kids, and we all love it. It's a very "all inclusive" vacation, and it's EASY!! We spend a lot of time in the pool, at Disney Springs (lots of bowling, movies, watching various bands/groups on the stage, etc.), resort hop, mini golf, eat all the desserts we want, etc. Spend 1/2 a day at Fort Wilderness, etc.

FWIW there's more to Uni than that. Our first trips my son couldn't (and then wouldn't) go on anything big and still had a blast. My husband is of a size that does not allow him to ride any of the big coasters or the main attractions, and he continues to have a blast. We went multiple times from 2011-end of 2015 and DH never went on any of the big rides, and DS and I rarely did. FWIW.

I know, but so far it's been no interest. Someday, I hope....I want to be a wizard! LOL!

We have done it a few times, with kids, and we all love it. It's a very "all inclusive" vacation, and it's EASY!! We spend a lot of time in the pool, at Disney Springs (lots of bowling, movies, watching various bands/groups on the stage, etc.), resort hop, mini golf, eat all the desserts we want, etc. Spend 1/2 a day at Fort Wilderness, etc.

The only issue with this kind of plan is planning for the cost. I love that kind of freedom, and we do plan these kinds of vacations but I know that I have a flexible budget. When my budget is tight I like to be sure that I know what my OOP will be in terms of movies, golf, etc. That beach trip that was rainy was wicked pricey in a way my sister and I had not foreseen. We could not enjoy the beach, which had been the bulk of the plan, so mini golf, movies, going out for ice cream or lunch when the kids were off the wall bored to tears, and a few area attractions that got us out of the cabin added up really fast.

If the budget can be planned ahead so the OP does not get blindsided, I think it would be a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter