Staying onsite but not going to the parks

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
Hi Guys,
I am planning a last minute trip just myself with my two boys (6-9 y.o.). My husband is going to be away on a business trip and I just wanted to escape the cold Canadian winter. I would only be doing a 4-5 night stay.
I found tickets using my aeroplan miles for Jan 30-Feb 4th for Orlando. I am on a super tight budget since this is an unexpected trip so I was going to skip the parks all together this time. We've been to Disney several times before so I am not missing anything.

First I was thinking of staying off-property in one of the many hotels in Orlando but I would have to rent a car and with the parking fees and extra charges it come out to about the same price as staying on Disney Property. Disney would give me that sense of security and I would save on not renting a car.

I am leaning towards POFQ or POR so that I could take adavntage of the pools, the daily activities and the boat to Disney Springs. Disney Springs has enough stuff to keep us entertained in the evening or on a rainy day. Plus I figure I could always use Disney transportation or a taxi to get to the other resorts for a nice dinner or to visit the grounds.

Another option is to stay at Art of ANimation (little mermaid rooms). The kids would get the Disney feel and we would still have the buses to get around.

I can maybe fork out one day at one of the parks but I was leaving that as a last resort incase the weather is too cold for swimming.

So what do you think, am I crazy to go to a Disney resort and not do the parks?

Last edited:
I don't think you're crazy at all. The hotels have a lot to offer, not to mention Disney Springs, mini golf, etc. Plus you'll be in warm(er) weather and on vacation, so why not??! I would go for it for sure.
Thanks, I kept doubting my decision. I just needed a bit of encourgement.

I've done non-park vacations before. I don't think you will have any trouble finding things to do! We stayed at AKL and between the pool, animals, free kids activities, hidden mickey hunting, Disney Springs, etc. we had plenty to keep us occupied! From your resort choices, we liked POR the best. We did find it quicker to take the bus to DS over the boat.

One December vacation (2010), it was so cold that we couldn't go in the pool or any water parks so we had plenty of spare time outside of the parks during our 16 night visit and that's when we discovered the joy of visiting other resorts. Although you can't use the pools at most of them, we just love visiting to dine, look around the shops, and if we love it then it's added to our must-do accommodation list for future visits.

oh my gosh, I always say I could stay at WDW for months and not do it all. I don't think you're crazy, my parents just did it in May at SSR.
I mean, a ride around the monorail, Poly for breakfast, boat ride from Contemporary to Fort Wilderness to see the horses, bus to DS from there for late lunch, then to Fantasia Gardens for some mini golf...and thats just ONE day!! Theres SO much to do without going into a park :)

Not crazy ☺My sugestion was your idea ,POR /POFQ. If the weather allows you have 2 main pools to use in addition to the quiet pools at POR. Closeness to DS is great (we always use the boat weather permitting). I think it is great idea

I've done non-park vacations before. I don't think you will have any trouble finding things to do! We stayed at AKL and between the pool, animals, free kids activities, hidden mickey hunting, Disney Springs, etc. we had plenty to keep us occupied! From your resort choices, we liked POR the best. We did find it quicker to take the bus to DS over the boat.

Sounds like a great vacation! AKL is an amazing resort too! Wow

One December vacation (2010), it was so cold that we couldn't go in the pool or any water parks so we had plenty of spare time outside of the parks during our 16 night visit and that's when we discovered the joy of visiting other resorts. Although you can't use the pools at most of them, we just love visiting to dine, look around the shops, and if we love it then it's added to our must-do accommodation list for future visits.

Good point! I will totally do that!

oh my gosh, I always say I could stay at WDW for months and not do it all. I don't think you're crazy, my parents just did it in May at SSR.
I mean, a ride around the monorail, Poly for breakfast, boat ride from Contemporary to Fort Wilderness to see the horses, bus to DS from there for late lunch, then to Fantasia Gardens for some mini golf...and thats just ONE day!! Theres SO much to do without going into a park :)

That sounds like a great plan! Poly for breakfast, yes please! I didn't even think of Fort Wilderness. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Ok guys, I'm convinced! Doing it!

Another vote for not crazy at all -- As everyone else has posted -- there is so much to do and see even if you don't go to the parks -- I'll second, third and fourth the thoughts of staying at the one of the Port Orleans resorts - -the boat to Disney Springs would be so fun with everything to do there.

Tom

So what do you think, am I crazy to go to a Disney resort and not do the parks?
Yes, I do think you're crazy. Sorry, but you asked. I would never pay Disney prices for lodging and food if I wasn't also going to the Disney parks. There are plenty of places where you can go to escape the cold where you don't have to pay Disney prices. Heck, you could probably go on a last minute cruise (not Disney, though) for about the same price.

I don't think it's crazy, either. Disney has a lot to offer outside the parks so as others have said, you won't be at a loss of things to do. The convenience of being on property is a huge plus, even if you aren't going to the parks. Have a great time! :wizard:

I did this for the exact same reason. I was going to take our little one by myself and just stay onsite with no parks, but then my sisters and mom thought that was a great vacation and joined it. We stayed at AoA in a Cars Suite for 2 nights and then when some of our party left switched to Pop for 2 nights. I didn't want to deal with a carseat and a toddler by myself so staying onsite for this type of trip was a no-brainer for me.

Day 1: Late arrival so just had dinner and unpacked.
Day 2: O'Hana breakfast, back to resort for nap (other half of party went to AKL to see animals, then to Boardwalk to watch football), and Disney Springs for dinner and walking around.
Day 3: Pool all morning, switched resorts, Fort Wilderness take-out for dinner and Campfire Sing-along
Day 4: Walked back to AoA for smoothie breakfast, pool time, nap (and DS for some), and then to MNSSHP (cheaper to buy those tickets than a 1-day park (I know not available for your dates))
Day 5: Headed home AM

My family was not expecting to go to a park at all and had a wonderful time, but I surprised them with an early Christmas gift to the party. I wish I could go back and just have a RELAXING Disney vacation (usually we GO, GO, GO! all the time). It was an AWESOME trip!!!

This is definitively not crazy at all!

If you're willing to spend AoA suites, you should check AKL CL. Being fed all day long, not to mention drinks and cordials, is always nice when staying in a resort. :)

Normally I would say it's easy to go and stay on site and not go to the parks but with kids your kids age, I kind of agree with Robinb. I don't think I would spend the money to fly to Orlando and pay Disney prices for staying on site. I'd go to the beach somewhere maybe a little further south or even combine a beach/Space Center type thing.

Yes, I do think you're crazy. Sorry, but you asked. I would never pay Disney prices for lodging and food if I wasn't also going to the Disney parks. There are plenty of places where you can go to escape the cold where you don't have to pay Disney prices. Heck, you could probably go on a last minute cruise (not Disney, though) for about the same price.
No worries! I think its kind of crazy too that is why I am so indecisive. The only reason I chose Orlando is because I found points to fly down so I'm saving on the flights. If not would have gone to the Caribbean. I just don't see myself doing a cruise alone with the kids. I'm seasick too so don't want to experiment with that. I know I'm going to pay premium Prices just for being on Disney Property. Still looking to stay off property and renting a car but It might come out to the same prices after all is calculated.

I did this for the exact same reason. I was going to take our little one by myself and just stay onsite with no parks, but then my sisters and mom thought that was a great vacation and joined it. We stayed at AoA in a Cars Suite for 2 nights and then when some of our party left switched to Pop for 2 nights. I didn't want to deal with a carseat and a toddler by myself so staying onsite for this type of trip was a no-brainer for me.

Day 1: Late arrival so just had dinner and unpacked.
Day 2: O'Hana breakfast, back to resort for nap (other half of party went to AKL to see animals, then to Boardwalk to watch football), and Disney Springs for dinner and walking around.
Day 3: Pool all morning, switched resorts, Fort Wilderness take-out for dinner and Campfire Sing-along
Day 4: Walked back to AoA for smoothie breakfast, pool time, nap (and DS for some), and then to MNSSHP (cheaper to buy those tickets than a 1-day park (I know not available for your dates))
Day 5: Headed home AM

My family was not expecting to go to a park at all and had a wonderful time, but I surprised them with an early Christmas gift to the party. I wish I could go back and just have a RELAXING Disney vacation (usually we GO, GO, GO! all the time). It was an AWESOME trip!!!
Sounds like a great trip!

This is definitively not crazy at all!

If you're willing to spend AoA suites, you should check AKL CL. Being fed all day long, not to mention drinks and cordials, is always nice when staying in a resort. :)
I was only looking at the rooms not the suites. But I just got in touch with a DVC owner willing to rent out her points for one night at BCV. I might do that and stay at POFQ the rest of the time. At least I can take advantage of the pools.

Normally I would say it's easy to go and stay on site and not go to the parks but with kids your kids age, I kind of agree with Robinb. I don't think I would spend the money to fly to Orlando and pay Disney prices for staying on site. I'd go to the beach somewhere maybe a little further south or even combine a beach/Space Center type thing.
I need to fly in and out of Orlando but could maybe drive to Cocoa beach. The problem is that sometimes, this time a year, the weather might be too cold to enjoy the beach. I did Miami one year and Fort Lauderdale another time around this time of year and got cold weather and rain. Spent more money on hotels and ended up in shopping malls. Kind of sucks!

I agree with this. Also, for the price you're paying to stay at a moderate and hop to other resorts for nice meals, you could stay at a value and eat counter service and have the extra funds to cover the tickets the parks. I know my kids would be super bummed going to Disney but not actually going to Disney. The parks make the vacation for us. JMO

I completely agree with this. There are plenty of places you could go where it WILL be warm, and probably cost less than Disney, and you'll get more for your money. A cruise is a fantastic idea, and your meals would be included.

We go for two weeks every march. Stay at DCL resorts. We might go to parks one day. Hang out at pool, go to movies or. BOwl ing at Disney springs, play tennis, shuffleboard, bocce...whatever is available at the resort we are at. In march we go to spring baseball gaMes in the area. Eat out most nights at great restaurants. Love it.

I'm in the "would never do Disney without the parks" camp, especially with kids the ages of yours! They may say they're fine with it, but when they get there and really realize they're not going on ANY rides or seeing any characters or going to any shows, they might be very disappointed. If it's just the three of you, opt for the cheapest value resort on site--whichever one it is. Don't pay for a moderate or even for Little Mermaid room. You can probably get a discount on the other value rooms, which usually LM rooms aren't included. Skip the "nice" meals.

Kids will be more interested in getting to go to the parks than what resort you stay in or where you're eating! Skip Disney Springs--since that usually results in more shopping than you need to do! If you do all these things, getting a 1-2 day ticket for each of you probably wouldn't cost any more.

And if you start thinking about the things you're going to do instead of parks, you'll find the price will creep up anyway. Bowling, movies, mini golf, nice dinners, shopping--all those things will add up quick!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter