• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying onsite but not going to the parks

My kids would lose it if we were in WDW and not going to the parks. That would be absolute torture to them. I would do a beach vacation. Maybe Myrtle Beach since there's some entertainment in the area and not just beach. Or ocean city Maryland.

My kids would lose it if we were in WDW and not going to the parks. That would be absolute torture to them. I would do a beach vacation. Maybe Myrtle Beach since there's some entertainment in the area and not just beach. Or ocean city Maryland.
OP is talking February, OC Maryland may be warmer than Canada but not much be will available to do.If it was May to September that would be a different story

Not crazy, and I like the idea of one of the Port Orleans resorts, given that you want to take the boat to Disney Springs. But...I have to ask...I understand as you say that you're not going to miss anything by not going to the parks during 4 to 5 days at WDW...but...are you sure sure surey sure super McSurey sure sure that your 6 and 9 year-old are going to be cool with being at WDW for most of a week and not getting to go to the parks? That's the part that gives me a little pause.

Not crazy, and I like the idea of one of the Port Orleans resorts, given that you want to take the boat to Disney Springs. But...I have to ask...I understand as you say that you're not going to miss anything by not going to the parks during 4 to 5 days at WDW...but...are you sure sure surey sure super McSurey sure sure that your 6 and 9 year-old are going to be cool with being at WDW for most of a week and not getting to go to the parks? That's the part that gives me a little pause.
Haha! I know, the temptation, right? I had a discussion with them yesterday. They are just so excited that they are missing 4 days of school and that they get to swim in a pool (they are willing to do this at any temperature). They're stoked about the vacation itself but who knows when we get there. My 10 y.o will be more likely to whine, the 6 y.o. is more relaxed and happy doing anything. I gave them the permission to take the $100 they each got from their Grand-Mother at Christmas to bring on the trip and they get to choose the activity. If they want to spend it all on one day at the park, then I will go along with it but I am trying to avoid that as much as possible.

Haha! I know, the temptation, right? I had a discussion with them yesterday. They are just so excited that they are missing 4 days of school and that they get to swim in a pool (they are willing to do this at any temperature). They're stoked about the vacation itself but who knows when we get there. My 10 y.o will be more likely to whine, the 6 y.o. is more relaxed and happy doing anything. I gave them the permission to take the $100 they each got from their Grand-Mother at Christmas to bring on the trip and they get to choose the activity. If they want to spend it all on one day at the park, then I will go along with it but I am trying to avoid that as much as possible.

A few years ago we went on a 12 day trip beginning on Thanksgiving Day, but did not plan parks until Monday. I am not going to lie, my 10 YO DGD was a little off. She never said a word, enjoyed what we did, but it was different.

I dont think that you are crazy, but I would price a value, look at the cost and see if I could swing that with park tix. I am not sure that you will save as much as you think you will by avoiding the parks, especially since you are already factoring a one day ticket as your backup plan. I am always in favor of having children have a stake in the plan, so if this was me, I would toss the value option to them, add in their contribution, and then see what your final price would be. If it is the same, I would scrap the moderate with no parks, and go for value with parks, and pool time if the weather allows.

I will say that whenever I priced an impromptu trip, Disney seemed to come in less expensive in the long run. I did not need to count transportation costs, which do add up.

We did this when my kids when we needed to escape from NY that had been hit with multiple snow storms. It was also last minute. I had DVC points so that part for us was inexpensive. Not having to rent a car is also a big saver at a peak time. The problem we ran into is that even in Florida, the alternatives to Disney are not as child friendly as far as entertainment and the ocean and gulf waters are cool in Feb. unless you head much further south. I totally get that it is easy to do this trip and can tell you it worked well for us.

There is a bit of temptation when you are there bc everyone is talking about going to this park and that. So be prepared for that. I would stay away from character meals bc, imho, it just adds to that temptation. We stayed at SSR and I would definitely stay at Port Orleans. It is much less in your face Disney compared to Art of Animation. And yes, the boat ride to Disney Springs and the Lego store can be fun for kids. My kids (even though they are now teens) work as a team and build and race cars everytime we go. It was awesome that trip to not be under any pressure to go anywhere at any time. I would look at Rainforest Café if on a budget--kids will enjoy and you can sign up for Landrys (spelling?) and get a discount. Also, you do not need a reservation-- you just get the next available table when you go. Compared to Disney food prices, it will be cheap! I have heard there is a great new pizza place in DTD that is counter service.

Make sure you are by the pools for the afternoon, the DJ dance party and games takes place and that will keep everyone happy. The hot air tethered balloon ride at Disney Springs is pretty reasonable if you go really early, I think. Lots of concerts, dance and hula hoop parties in the evening that will not cost you anything additional. Obvioulsy there is Splitsville, DQ and movies== but all could add $$.

We rented surrey bikes at the hotel which I think (but am not sure) you may be able to do at Port Orleans. Otherwise, we just enjoyed the pools and the resort amenities. I read a book and the kids were 100% entertained. Considering the alternative was to stay in the ice cold weather, they had no problem with not going to the parks.

SSR and Old Key West both have them and community halls which provide craft activities, games and usually air hockey or something. But OKW main pool is closed in Feb, I think. If you could afford it, you also may want to consider Kidani or Jambo House at AK. Two main feature pools, Kidani has community hall and tons of Animal stuff to do. Night vision goggles, campfire, drumming, painting of animals and all those great places to watch animals day and night. You can take that bus to Disney Springs, but are a little removed from all the hustle and bustle of people going to the parks.

I say go for it! I also had moments of, "is this crazy?". But I am so glad we did that trip!

One December vacation (2010), it was so cold that we couldn't go in the pool or any water parks so we had plenty of spare time outside of the parks during our 16 night visit and that's when we discovered the joy of visiting other resorts. Although you can't use the pools at most of them, we just love visiting to dine, look around the shops, and if we love it then it's added to our must-do accommodation list for future visits.

Felt your pain!!! We were there too! High 20's nighttime - mid 40's w/wind during day - flowers covered, or frozen.
Fun - not!!!! :cold:

Actually, though, about OP's post - know some people enjoy being there without going into the parks - but, us, never!

Even when my husband and I stay off property we go to Disney and wander around the resorts. We stayed at Music in Oct. and didn't do a park. However, we did have a car. We're thinking about trying it this Oct. without a car. My only concern is keeping the food costs down.

We just had a total of 4 nights onsite in December and didn't go into the parks. 12 year old didn't mind. But we're all burned out on the parks anyway. Haven't set foot in a wdw park since this time of year 2015. Also we were just at DL last weekend for rundisney events and didn't have tickets. No biggie. BTDT.

6 and 9/10 though...

The problem is that sometimes, this time a year, the weather might be too cold to enjoy the beach.

Yep.

And if you start thinking about the things you're going to do instead of parks, you'll find the price will creep up anyway. Bowling, movies, mini golf, nice dinners, shopping--all those things will add up quick!

Good point!

But you'll have done all those other cool things.

re you sure sure surey sure super McSurey sure sure that your 6 and 9 year-old are going to be cool with being at WDW for most of a week and not getting to go to the parks?

You crack me up. :)

For my family if we didn't have dvc points to burn, we would stay up at universal. All the pools are at your disposal there, great minigolf, restaurants...

Except that my family would totally go to the Uni parks. :) my son's first trip was at 6.5 and he loved all that he could do.

Last edited:
For my family if we didn't have dvc points to burn, we would stay up at universal. All the pools are at your disposal there, great minigolf, restaurants...

Except that my family would totally go to the Uni parks. :) my son's first trip was at 6.5 and he loved all that he could do.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, my Universal team member friend wants to beat me every time I say we're going back to WDW and not Universal.

We've been to Disney several times before so I am not missing anything.
So what do you think, am I crazy to go to a Disney resort and not do the parks?

While I don't think you are crazy, I do worry about that first sentence there. It is easy for my wife and I to go and not go to the parks, but when you say "I am not missing anything" that doesn't take your two boys into account. They probably will be missing something. I just don't think I could be there with two boys that age and not go to at least one park or water park. Your boys may be different than my two were though. Just my 2 cents.

If I was going to do this, I would consider renting points at AKL. I think that would be a awesome resort to stay at for a non-park trip. Personally I would want to be as far removed from the Disney feel as possible so I would not be tempted to want to go to the parks. I was on the DVC page here today and there were a good amount of people looking to rent out points that need to be used soon for a reasonable price. David's also had some last minute stuff available if you can be flexible on.your dates.

But I also like the idea of staying at a value and making room in the budget for one day in the parks. We went one year in January and it was way to cold to swim so I definitely wanted park time on that trip.

I'd personally have no issue skipping the parks, especially at POR. I loved Riverside, and with the age of you're kids, there is stuff to do without going to the parks. Riverside isn't far from mini-golf near the Swan & Dolphin. Could likely walk there on a nice day. Boat to Disney Springs. Some cool stuff on site since you have a variety of pools at either of the PO properties. If my parents didn't live in Kissimmee, I'd do this in a heartbeat. :)

I think after reading everyone's comments I realized that maybe no park days would not be the best idea. What if the weather sucks, I would be stuck at a resort doing nothing.

And if you start thinking about the things you're going to do instead of parks, you'll find the price will creep up anyway. Bowling, movies, mini golf, nice dinners, shopping--all those things will add up quick!
This got me thinking and I guess your right, with all the extras it might come out to as expensive.

A few years ago we went on a 12 day trip beginning on Thanksgiving Day, but did not plan parks until Monday. I am not going to lie, my 10 YO DGD was a little off. She never said a word, enjoyed what we did, but it was different.

I dont think that you are crazy, but I would price a value, look at the cost and see if I could swing that with park tix. I am not sure that you will save as much as you think you will by avoiding the parks, especially since you are already factoring a one day ticket as your backup plan. I am always in favor of having children have a stake in the plan, so if this was me, I would toss the value option to them, add in their contribution, and then see what your final price would be. If it is the same, I would scrap the moderate with no parks, and go for value with parks, and pool time if the weather allows.

I will say that whenever I priced an impromptu trip, Disney seemed to come in less expensive in the long run. I did not need to count transportation costs, which do add up.
I followed your advise and gave them the option of value resort with 2day ticket and they voted for that. So much for no parks on this trip;)

We just had a total of 4 nights onsite in December and didn't go into the parks. 12 didn't mind. But we're all burned out on the parks anyway. Haven't set foot in a wdw park since this time of year 2015. Also we were just at DL last weekend for rundisney events and didn't have tickets. No biggie. BTDT.

6 and 9/10 though...

Yep.

Good point!

But you'll have done all those other cool things.

You crack me up. :)

Ya I just checked universal. Would be a little more expensive that Disney but almost same price. We could do cabana beach resort and 2 day park tickets. Now I am debating what to do.

So I ended up with these choices: value resort with 2 day ticket , or for $300 more pofq with 2 day park ticket or Cabana bay with universal 2 day ticket.Which one?

So I ended up with these choices: value resort with 4 day ticket, pofq with 2 day park ticket or Cabana bay with universal 2 day ticket.Which one?
Hard question! I admit I would scratch Universal right off the list, but that is because at 15 my DGD will still not go on thrill rides or rides with bumps, etc.

So given a choice I would probably take the value and 4 day park tix unless I had a solid plan that was not going to have the potential to cost me a fortune for the rest of the trip. I like POFQ, it is my favorite moderate, and I like the mods, but if I am on a tight budget I like to have my ducks in a row and know that when I get there I have my days planned out where my OOP expenses are minimized and controlled.

I am still scarred from the 2 week beach vacation my sister and I took all the kids on when they were young. 14 days. All paid for. Groceries purchased. Just spending ad a few extras, right? No. It rained for 11 out of 14 days. What do you do with 9 kids in the rain, at the beach, in a cottage? That was one expensive trip!

Hard question! I admit I would scratch Universal right off the list, but that is because at 15 my DGD will still not go on thrill rides or rides with bumps, etc.

So given a choice I would probably take the value and 4 day park tix unless I had a solid plan that was not going to have the potential to cost me a fortune for the rest of the trip. I like POFQ, it is my favorite moderate, and I like the mods, but if I am on a tight budget I like to have my ducks in a row and know that when I get there I have my days planned out where my OOP expenses are minimized and controlled.

I am still scarred from the 2 week beach vacation my sister and I took all the kids on when they were young. 14 days. All paid for. Groceries purchased. Just spending ad a few extras, right? No. It rained for 11 out of 14 days. What do you do with 9 kids in the rain, at the beach, in a cottage? That was one expensive trip!
Wow 11 days of rain...ouch! I feel your pain. Ya I think that is why I added the park tickets, just in case its too cold or bad weather, we can still do the parks and the kids will be happy.

Just stick with the value resort. You'll have just as much fun there--especially now that you have park tickets! Then you've got that extra $300 you would have spent as a buffer just in case! Or you can use it to do something fun on one of your non-park days. And I'm glad you decided on the park days. I don't think you'll regret it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter