• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shame on Disneys Dining Plan !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the one standard condition across all three ways to get the/any Dining Plan is that all persons on the reservation must obtain the same Dining Plan for all nights of the reservation. Period. Disney has never, in over four and a half years, made an exception to this condition.

And, again, there is no requirement to participate in the Dining Plan. It's an option. If the Dining Plan doesn't 'work' for one's party, or one's dining style/habits/requirements, there is NO need to participate in it. Period. It'll be cheaper for the OP's family to just pay out of pocket for all food.

I know, I understand all that, I think I said that. I also said I don't expect them to make exceptions or anything, as that is their policy so fine. I am just wondering if there is a reason why this is the policy, that it has to be all or none. Totally seperate from the OP's post basically. Cause I can't see how it hurts Disney financially or anything because if 1 person doesn't buy the plan, they they pay OOP or starve for the trip.

I know, I understand all that, I think I said that. I also said I don't expect them to make exceptions or anything, as that is their policy so fine. I am just wondering if there is a reason why this is the policy, that it has to be all or none. Totally seperate from the OP's post basically. Cause I can't see how it hurts Disney financially or anything because if 1 person doesn't buy the plan, they they pay OOP or starve for the trip.
Not being a Disney CM, I can't answer specifically, but my guess is that who eats what "evens out" the savings. It's like at a buffet - some guests eat more than their moneys' worth, and some eat less. Over the course of all the guests, the ones who eat less even out the cost of the ones who eat more, so the restaurant still makes money even if some people make out like bandits. Buffets don't allow an "individual price" regardless of how much or how little you eat.

Now consider the dining plan. In order to make money on these plans, some people who buy it will see big savings, but other people who buy it won't. If you allow an "individual option" for the dining plans, only those who will save a lot of money will buy it. The "small savers" or "small eaters" won't buy it, and won't offset Disney's expenses. Disney would then have to increase the price of the plan to make up for loss of those offsets.

And that's pretty much the bottom line: either everyone must get it so that Disney can keep the price point lower, or you can pick and choose at a higher price point.

I just need to vent. My DD just had gastric by-pass surgery not to long ago so she is limited on what she can eat and how much, So I called DVC to ask if just my DW and I could be on the dining plan and not my DD with a note from her doctor. I was told No. I was told the ONLY way this could be done was take DD off the ressie (no room key no magical express no extra magic hours) needless to say DW and I are very upset by this. It's not like we were asking for a free meal plan.As DVC members and Passholders we feel that our issue was just brushed away.Are the days of trying to make the guest happy gone?? Anyway thanks for letting us/me vent.:sad1::sad1::sad1:

Has anyone mentioned as an option to go during free dining.... then it won't matter if she is on it or not.

I am just wondering if there is a reason why this is the policy, that it has to be all or none.

I can't say for sure, since I don't work there, but I would be willing to bet that their reservation software just doesn't work that way. If they decided that this option should be available, they would probably have to make significant changes to the software. And we all know how well that works out...

Not being a Disney CM, I can't answer specifically, but my guess is that who eats what "evens out" the savings. It's like at a buffet - some guests eat more than their moneys' worth, and some eat less. Over the course of all the guests, the ones who eat less even out the cost of the ones who eat more, so the restaurant still makes money even if some people make out like bandits. Buffets don't allow an "individual price" regardless of how much or how little you eat.

Now consider the dining plan. In order to make money on these plans, some people who buy it will see big savings, but other people who buy it won't. If you allow an "individual option" for the dining plans, only those who will save a lot of money will buy it. The "small savers" or "small eaters" won't buy it, and won't offset Disney's expenses. Disney would then have to increase the price of the plan to make up for loss of those offsets.

And that's pretty much the bottom line: either everyone must get it so that Disney can keep the price point lower, or you can pick and choose at a higher price point.

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about the adults who get the dining plan but never order a dessert or things like that.

wow, can't we all just get along (and let this thread go riding off into the sunset...because the original poster did, a long time ago - see page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck 57
DW and I would like to thank everyone for their input on this matter. You have given us differnt directions to look at and also helped us vent. Thanks again.

justhat said:
Totally seperate from the OP's post basically. Cause I can't see how it hurts Disney financially or anything because if 1 person doesn't buy the plan, they they pay OOP or starve for the trip.
Right off the top of my head: in most cases (except DVC), Dining Plans have to be purchased as part of a package that includes tickets. Allowing Guests to purchase a Dining Plan a la carte so to speak would mean more Guests would buy their park passes from an authorized ticket reseller. Disney doesn't make as much money on those tickets as they do on tickets they sell directly. So, yeah, making exceptions would hurt Disney.

Has anyone mentioned as an option to go during free dining.... then it won't matter if she is on it or not.
The OP is a DVC member, and so not eligible for free dining because they're using DVC points to pay for their room.

wow, can't we all just get along (and let this thread go riding off into the sunset...because the original poster did, a long time ago - see page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Duck 57
DW and I would like to thank everyone for their input on this matter. You have given us differnt directions to look at and also helped us vent. Thanks again.
Yeah, we know :). We've gone beyond the OP and are continuing to have a discussion - complete with explanations - despite his having left the conversation.

Right off the top of my head: in most cases (except DVC), Dining Plans have to be purchased as part of a package that includes tickets. Allowing Guests to purchase a Dining Plan a la carte so to speak would mean more Guests would buy their park passes from an authorized ticket reseller. Disney doesn't make as much money on those tickets as they do on tickets they sell directly. So, yeah, making exceptions would hurt Disney.

AP holders are also exempt from that rule. And can't you buy just a 1 day ticket, rather than one the same length as your dining plan? So I don't know how much that would matter. It's probably more of what that other poster said about some people not eating much on the plan, thus saving Disney money.

AP holders are also exempt from that rule.
True, sort of - they're exempt from the ticket purchase - but they still need to book an AP package to be able to include the Dining Plan. That means at some point in the last year they've purchased the ticket. Are APs even available from the authorized resellers, or can they only be purchased directly from Disney?

And can't you buy just a 1 day ticket, rather than one the same length as your dining plan?
Sure - a one day ticket for each person in your party. The drawback here (technically unrelated to the Dining Plan) is, many people think they're getting a bargain by buying just one day from Disney and the rest from a reseller. They're not. They've still got this extra $80 ticket to either use - making the two-ticket purchase FAR from any type of deal - or put away for some other trip. That ties up the money, probably indefinitely because most people who book packages continue to book packages.

Yeah, we know :). We've gone beyond the OP and are continuing to have a discussion - complete with explanations - despite his having left the conversation.

:confused3 Maybe because comments like the one below are helpful and provide insight into what Disney was thinking when they heard and denied the request? :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21
Im sorry this is HILARIOUS! This has NOTHING to do with disney's customer service. The system will not allow some people to be on DDP and some not. Its an OPTION!! If you dont like it or it doesnt work for you, DONT USE IT!!!!

My grandma is 102 and eats like a mouse, can I pay for the childs DDP for her? What do you mean no? Thats horrible customer service! I want to bring my pet aardvark can I add him to the DDP? What do you mean no? Thats horrible customer service!!

How bout this- My wife is in a wheelchair so we may only park hop once or twice can I just pay $20 for parkhopping? What do you mean thats not possible! Thats horrible customer service!!

Get over yourself. Millions of people go to Disney every year with worse medical conditions and somehow manage to make it work

Maybe cause I've never used it, but can someone explain the problem? I don't mean with the policy needing to be broken, I get that, I'm more interested in *why* that needs to be the policy. We've met with friends in WDW who were on the dining plan (seperate room from us) and eaten meals with them. They used their DP credits, we used our TiW card and that was that. No issues or anything. So why wouldn't it be the same way if, in the OP's example, she and her husband got the DP and the daughter paid OOP for her meals?

Again, I totally get Disney's statement that it is their policy and I'm not saying they should make exceptions, change things, whatever. I'm just wondering if there is a legitimate reason for the policy to be that way in the first place (other than just simplicity).

Disney also assumes that every member of your party will order a meal at the same time - if you were able to buy the DDP for less than your room count (2 adults instead of 3), you might just use 2 credits to feed the 3 people at all meals (lost revenue for Disney).

Also, you could pick and choose the best "value" meals and use the credits for those. An example - you go to Le Cellier, 2 in your party want the mushroom filet ($34.99) and one wants the chicken ($21.99) you would use the credits to pay for the two steaks and pay oop for the chicken dinner and then maybe share your 2 desserts. Of the 3 people, one wants a smoothie (say our chicken eater), one of the steak people wants a coke and the third person decides they are okay with water. So you order the smoothie and the coke on the DDP and the water is no charge. You`ve managed to get a great deal on the DDP (steaks, smoothie, dessert totalling much more than the cost of your days DDP cost on just your TS meal) and your total oop cost is $22 plus tax which is much less than what it would have cost to pay for the DDP (you have to pay tip on everything no matter what).

This is what happened when I told Artie he couldnt get the DDP:

anteater.jpg

It`s okay - tell Artie to calm down.

I just added him to my reservation. He is now a 56 year old male with a 1 day ticket and 6 day DDP - he is okay with wearing pants, right? :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter