Shame on Disneys Dining Plan !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the condition of one person in your party means they can't eat much, you can do better, without the dining plan, paying for your own meals.

The rules of the dining plan have always been that everyone on the reservation must be on the same plan, no exceptions. I don't agree that a case review is good business. Disney will then spend a lot of its time evaluating claims and people will be angry that one guest's claim was approved and another guest's wasn't. There is also the problem of sharing food with the guests exempted from the plan. That's against the rules, and Disney isn't going to be able to police everyone.

You do have another option - which is to not use a dining plan at all. If you really want the dining plan for whatever reason, buy your daughter children's meals and use her credits for other meals for yourself. This will work everywhere but at buffets or all you can eat places.

slightly OT, but whatever option you choose, whether to pay OOP, use TiW, or get the dining plan and use credits differently, if she has had gastic bypass surgery, she should get a card from her doctor to bring with her to allow her to order child meals

I wonder if there is a way for the OP to pay for a Child DDP for his daughter, which would allow everyone on the reservation to have a DDP, but would accommodate her needs? That seems like something Disney might be able to do with a doctor's note. If not, the TiW card works great. We use that instead of the DDP b/c we like to save money on food by sharing so we can spend it on adult beverages, lol.

I wonder if there is a way for the OP to pay for a Child DDP for his daughter, which would allow everyone on the reservation to have a DDP, but would accommodate her needs? That seems like something Disney might be able to do with a doctor's note. If not, the TiW card works great. We use that instead of the DDP b/c we like to save money on food by sharing so we can spend it on adult beverages, lol.

Not unless his daughter is registered on the reservation as age 9 or younger.

When people vent here I actually often think they're unreasonable and I tend to agree with Disney's decisions. In this case though I'm completely on your side, they should've made an exception.

I know it's not at all the same thing but I've got food allergies and luckily with only 1 exception (Garden Grill, don't go there with food allergies, or at all unless you like incredibly rude people. HORRIBLE!!) they're always very helpful and accommodating.

But there's no valid reason for Disney to make an exception. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, the Dining Plans are optional, not required. Given that the rules and conditions of the Plans do not coordinate with the OP's needs, their party should simply pay out of pocket for all restaurant meals.

It's entirely possible they will spend less than $120 per day/night for their meals.

There is no reason for an exception to be made - purchasing the dining plan is not a requirement. If the plan does not meet the OP's needs, which is sounds like it does not in this circumstance, then don't purchase it.

I think you should simply not do the dining plan this trip. The dining plan is an all or nothing thing. It just doesn't make sense for you to have it this time, so don't. If they start making exceptions Disney would have a huge mess!

I think the DDP is an option, not a requirement. They don't make exceptions on small eaters for children. If I go the day after my son's 3rd birthday, he has to go on the dining plan. Does he suddenly eat more than he did the day before? No. Will Disney make an exception? No. It's your CHOICE to get the dining plan. Same goes for a 9/10 yo. There is no exception if the 10 year old is small for their age and eats as much as a 7yo.

Sorry, I am with Disney on this one. The dining packages are very clearly in all literature for all on the reservation.

While your exception request is based on your DD surgery, what about allergies? What about small eaters? what about cycle of the moon? (ok, that one was just for :rotfl:)

There are certain things in life and Disney that just are. Yes, 3 yo need a ticket even if they are 3 and 1 day when you arrive. Yes, you must pay adult prices for 9 and over for meal plans and tickets. You must pay at buffets.

It is what it is. Fortunately, being DVC you ahve choices. As PP have suggested, you can use the additional credits on other meals. You can get no plan. You have choices.

I am sorry you were disappointed that Disney cannot accomodate your request and I hope you have a great time :)

Originally Posted by sabrecmc

Not unless his daughter is registered on the reservation as age 9 or younger.

Well, yes, obviously it would need to be on the reservation that way so the Disney computer would accept it. What I am suggesting is that Disney make an exception to policy to accommodate a guest with a specific medical need by allowing that guest to pay for a child's DDP though the guest is really an adult. Obviously, this would be a special exception under the circumstances and is certainly not required, but it would be nice in this situation to make that offer. Disney could add a note to the reservation explaining the situation (that a person is registered as a child, but is really an adult by Disney standards), and the daughter could present the card another poster mentioned at wherever they are dining saying she is entitled to order a child's entree.

Sometimes we work very hard to say why Disney can't do anything or you're not entitled to something or whatever. Maybe that's true, but maybe its ok sometimes to try to find a way to say "yes." I would call the special assistance number and talk to them to see if there are any options that you're just not aware of. I've heard of Disney doing amazing things to accommodate families with special needs. Doesn't hurt to ask!

DW and I would like to thank everyone for their input on:grouphug: this matter. You have given us differnt directions to look at and also helped us vent. Thanks again.

Well, yes, obviously it would need to be on the reservation that way so the Disney computer would accept it. What I am suggesting is that Disney make an exception to policy to accommodate a guest with a specific medical need by allowing that guest to pay for a child's DDP though the guest is really an adult. Obviously, this would be a special exception under the circumstances and is certainly not required, but it would be nice in this situation to make that offer. Disney could add a note to the reservation explaining the situation (that a person is registered as a child, but is really an adult by Disney standards), and the daughter could present the card another poster mentioned at wherever they are dining saying she is entitled to order a child's entree.

Sometimes we work very hard to say why Disney can't do anything or you're not entitled to something or whatever. Maybe that's true, but maybe its ok sometimes to try to find a way to say "yes." I would call the special assistance number and talk to them to see if there are any options that you're just not aware of. I've heard of Disney doing amazing things to accommodate families with special needs. Doesn't hurt to ask!

That wouldn't work for a number of reasons. They only reason I mentioned it was that it is a possible option if paying oop. I have a child with severe food restrictions; I have friends who have children w/ gtubes. (they aren't going to eat anything) like pp's have said; just don't purchase the plan if it doesn't work for you. We don't buy the platinum or premium plans, or water parks, or park hopper, or many other options because they don't work for us. That's why there are options.

DW and I would like to thank everyone for their input on:grouphug: this matter. You have given us differnt directions to look at and also helped us vent. Thanks again.

Best thing about this board...venting opportunities AND getting to learn other options, as well as sometimes finding a new way to look at things. :thumbsup2 Hope your family has a wonderful time on your Disney vacation:wizard:

Gotta Love the Disboards...full of help for Disney-maniacs:rotfl:

I agree that in this case there is no basis for an accommodation. If this was a reason for accommodation, then Disney should also charge those with larger appetites or larger bodies more. Each party must make a decision as to whether the dining plan is appropriate for a given trip. Sometimes we do the plan, and sometimes we don't.

sabrecmc said:
What I am suggesting is that Disney make an exception to policy to accommodate a guest with a specific medical need by allowing that guest to pay for a child's DDP though the guest is really an adult. Obviously, this would be a special exception under the circumstances
But, again, why? The OP has an excellent option - several, really. Skip the dining plan; use the daughter's credits for his wife and himself and pay cash for his daughter's food; get a Tables in Wonderland card instead.

And, exceptions under certain circumstances quickly become the expected norm, resulting in MANY irate Guests: "What do you mean, I have to get the Dining Plan for everyone in my party, even my mother who eats nothing? I know for a fact you let DonaldDuck57 purchase it for less than his entire party!"

I'm with Disney too on this one. No one is forcing the dining plan on you. The dining plan doesn't have to be bought. Just pay OOP then for the 2 of you and have DD pick off your plates, order something small, etc.

The dining plan definitely doesn't work for everyone and here is a prime example.

I just need to vent. My DD just had gastric by-pass surgery not to long ago so she is limited on what she can eat and how much, So I called DVC to ask if just my DW and I could be on the dining plan and not my DD with a note from her doctor. I was told No. I was told the ONLY way this could be done was take DD off the ressie (no room key no magical express no extra magic hours) needless to say DW and I are very upset by this. It's not like we were asking for a free meal plan.As DVC members and Passholders we feel that our issue was just brushed away.Are the days of trying to make the guest happy gone?? Anyway thanks for letting us/me vent.:sad1::sad1::sad1:

Contact Guest Relations let them know the situation and that you need to purchase the childs meal plan for your daughter due to GB Surgery. I have read MANY times that this has been done

Contact Guest Relations let them know the situation and that you need to purchase the childs meal plan for your daughter due to GB Surgery. I have read MANY times that this has been done

That's new to me. I've read many times that an adult with a gastric bypass card has purchased a childs meal, and that adults who have gastric bypass have purchased a childs meal using an adult credit. I've never read that an adult has been able to purchase a childs meal plan due to gastric bypass surgery.

Is everyone prepared for a 10% increase to the cost of the DDP to cover all of this overhead that will be required to evaluate all of the potential case-by-case exceptions?

Agree with Disney on this one, a lot of us have children who don't eat a lot yet get charged full adult price. My own son is very small for his age, he never touched the adult meals we got him last trip, although it was annoying we put up with it and enjoyed ours.
It scares me that children have this sort of surgery in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter