Shame on Disneys Dining Plan !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DW and I would like to thank everyone for their input on:grouphug: this matter. You have given us differnt directions to look at and also helped us vent. Thanks again.

Venting is a good thing :thumbsup2 Congratulations to DD on her surgery... I wish her much success! :hug:

Eating at Disney presents so many challenges to people who are dealing with medical issues... I hope you find a solution that will work for your whole family and have a wonderful trip!pixiedust:

While I agree that Disney has every right to refuse the OP's request, I think this was a missed opportunity for them to show that they still have incredible customer service. Lets face it, one of the main reasons people return to Disney again and again is the service. They need to keep it up-not resort to rigid corporate policy.

I am surprised and saddened that they did not accommodate the OP. I really don't see much difference between this request and other special requests like special cleaning, special meals, etc.

Contact Guest Relations let them know the situation and that you need to purchase the childs meal plan for your daughter due to GB Surgery. I have read MANY times that this has been done

Where did you read this? Most restaurants (not buffets since everybody just chooses their own food) will allow an adult to order a children's meal but the adult still has to either use an adult credit or pay OOP for the children's meal. There's a HUGE difference. The accomodation is in the food that is served, not what is charged or how the plan is offered.

While I agree that Disney has every right to refuse the OP's request, I think this was a missed opportunity for them to show that they still have incredible customer service. Lets face it, one of the main reasons people return to Disney again and again is the service. They need to keep it up-not resort to rigid corporate policy.

I am surprised and saddened that they did not accommodate the OP. I really don't see much difference between this request and other special requests like special cleaning, special meals, etc.

Since the meals are pooled for all people on the reservation,and not individual, how would they make this work if one (or more) person(s) were not on it? How would they prevent abuse (I'm not saying that the OP has any abuse in mind- just a general question :))

Cheers.

Special requests are designed to accommodate folks who need something different than the standard. Everyone who stays at a Disney hotel gets their room cleaned. If you need something MORE than the standard, then they will assist you.

The standard meal at a Disney restaurant may contain a product that causes allergies. Because the STANDARD is a problem, they will make special accommodations.

But the Disney Dining Plan is not STANDARD. Its not required for ever single guest to have in order to eat on Disney Property...therefore Disney should not be expected to make special accommodations on it.

There's a huge difference between these. The restaurants will gladly make smaller portions. What's being requested is that they CHARGE differently. The accomodations you mention (special cleaning, special meals, etc) do not mean any kind of financial savings. They involve Disney DOING something in order for the guest to be able to go to WDW. This family can go with or without the dining plan. They can even eat in any restaurant that they'd like with no restrictions.

I don't like the dining plan. It doesn't match up with how I like to eat. I don't like so many table service meals, don't like desserts after my meal, prefer to graze more throughout the day, sometimes like appetizers and a drink in the lounge for "dinner", etc. It's doesn't matter whether it's a medical reason or personal preference - the dining plan just doesn't work for everyone. I am planning a trip in January where I will probably be solo. I will not get the dining plan.

If I have others accompany me, and they all want the dining plan, I may get it too even though I won't use it to it's maximum advantage. I would do more table service meals than I otherwise would, but no one is forcing me to take that dessert, order the large meals, eat everything I am served, etc. So I will not maximize the "value" of the plan. That's o.k. with me. I will still be with my friends.

As others have pointed out - check to see how much you would be spending OOP if you weren't on the plan. I personally don't think the current DDP saves that much money unless you really try to work the plan.

And just because someone is on the DDP doesn't mean they have to stuff themselves till they burst just because they can. Or you can have something wrapped up "to go" and snack on it later, if the issue is consuming too much at one time.

Sometimes we don't like the rules, but rules are rules. I would like to buy my 2 year old the dinng plan but I can't without making him 3 on the reservation. That means I would have to buy him a ticket and that would change our accomodations because we would be over the limit of guests in our room. We are going during free dining and I am willing to purchase his plan, but I just can't, and thats o.k. that's the way it is. I hope you gp and have a wonderfull trip. Your daughter is going to be in better health because of her surgery and that is reason to celebrate.

I don't like the dining plan. It doesn't match up with how I like to eat. I don't like so many table service meals, don't like desserts after my meal, prefer to graze more throughout the day, sometimes like appetizers and a drink in the lounge for "dinner", etc. It's doesn't matter whether it's a medical reason or personal preference - the dining plan just doesn't work for me. I am planning a trip in January where I will proably be solo. I will not get the dining plan.

If I have others accompany me, and they all want the dining plan, I may get it too even though I won't use it to it's maximum advantage. I would do more table service meals than I otherwise would, but no one is forcing me to take that dessert, order the large meals, eat everything I am served, etc. So I will not maximize the "value" of the plan. That's o.k. with me. I will still be with my friends.

As others have pointed out - check to see how much you would be spending OOP if you weren't on the plan. I personally don't think the current DDP saves that much money unless you really try to work the plan.

And just because someone is on the DDP doesn't mean they have to stuff ourselves till they burst just because they can.

Great post Pete.

The DDP doesn't work for DW and me either. We seem to have the same eating habits as you. We prefer appetizers and drinks in some of the nicer lounges as opposed to dinner. We definitely don't do a TS and a CS every day.

It's also just DW and me. If we had a load of kids in tow, it might be different.

What the DDP offers today is not what it offered a few years ago. I still wonder if people aren't eating just to eat because they "paid for it". Burning two table credits at a sig restaurant really makes no sense for us since appetizers and drinks aren't included anyway.

I'm sure it works for some folks, but I really wonder if it is worth all the planning - ADRs, scheduling park time, etc. it takes to make it work for people.

To the OP. I've had the same surgery (5 years ago). Honestly you're going to have to expect this from here on out. And so will she. It's just going to be the way things are. Sometimes you can order children's portions at restaurants, sometimes not. Honestly, the only savings we have noticed in meals is food we have at home. Going out, we generally spend the same amount despite me not eating half of what I'm given or pay for. It's just how it is. I would recommend not doing the dining plan at all. You're likely to save more money that way and from what I'm told, most WDW places will let her order from the childs menu if we wants. Other wise, it is what it is. I understand your frustration. :guilty:

But then this is not a 'special request' in any way. This was a medical procedure that many other people have had and many more people will get - a lot of them may go to WDW. Will Disney accomodate all of them as well? The only effect is will have will be on portion size and consistency of food - not that she has major food allergies or dietary requests (kosher, halal, diabetic, gluten free etc).

I think it would be best if the OP opted out of the DDP and just paid OOP, it would most likely make for better value for them.

Agree the dining plan has limits, for myself cutting the starters and leaving desserts is a nightmare as I am unable to eat a lot of the stuff they have on the menu. Anything with cream in makes me sick, dizzy and faint. Ok it won't kill me but not what I want on holiday.
For us the dining plan only makes sense during free dining.

I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. This is NOT a policy issue I was told by Norman it is a system issue that cannot be changed. Again it was suggested we take her off the ressie.( not an option) We are NOT looking for a freebie but we think this is SO unfair.I can't help but wonder how things would be if Walt was stilling running the show.Thanks again for your support and concern.:hug:

Did you ever stop to think thier system was designed to enforce thier policy?
I'm sorry to sound blunt but rules are rules, policies are policies, if you dont like it, don't play. This has NOTHING to do w/ Disney's customer service being poor as others mentioned it has to do with the OP wanting an exception made for then. I commend Disney for standing up. Consistency is key in all customer services organizations and they are effectively running thier business by enforcing that.

Agree the dining plan has limits, for myself cutting the starters and leaving desserts is a nightmare as I am unable to eat a lot of the stuff they have on the menu. Anything with cream in makes me sick, dizzy and faint. Ok it won't kill me but not what I want on holiday.
For us the dining plan only makes sense during free dining.

This is a different situation. Contact Brenda with special diets (the contact info is in sticky #3 on the disABILITIES! board). She'll make a note on all of your ADRs that you have a food allergy and she'll send you a list of foods that are dairy free. Notify your server when you're seated at TS restaurants and notify the cashier when you order at CS restaurants. They will make you a meal that will be safe for you to consume.

Just an FYI - Just about every table service restaurant has dairy free ice cream. At the ice cream carts, the chocolate covered frozen bananas are dairy free.

There's no reason that a food allergy should make a difference one way or the other as to whether the dining plan works for you. Your eating habits absolutely make a difference but food allergies at WDW do not. My family eats GREAT with a heck of a lot more allergies than just dairy (dairy is one of them though). Hop on over to the disABILITIES! board and ask questions and read through past posts. You'll be amazed at just how much food you can eat at WDW (for instance my daughter was in heaven safely eating mac & cheese despite dairy and gluten issues).

The Dining Plan itself isn't really profitable - what makes the Dining Plan profitable is that it gets and keeps guests on site - in Disney's overpriced hotels. For DVC members its a particular profitability issue - since they aren't making much profit (a little off membership dues) on the hotel. So for DVC members even OFFERING the dining plan is a perk that has more to do with customer service than Disney's profit. Anything that increases the loss on the dining plan - such as letting some members of a party get the dining plan while others don't - makes the dining plan less attractive. (The way it is now, either the small eaters get the plan, don't make full use of it, and Disney makes up some loss of unsold food or no one gets the plan, and the normal restaurant margins are maintained). If enough people push this matter, what Disney might do is just not bother to offer the plan to DVCers rather than deal with the complaints. They don't need to offer the plan to DVCers at all - it isn't part of the contract you signed when you bought.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could charget he child's price with an * or something to discretly make it known that yes the person is an adult, but there are medical circumstances that preclude the price/options.

Since DDP is an all or nothing proposition, we have decided to use prepaid Disney gift cards for food. I will get one for each member of my party loaded with what the DDP would have cost and let them use as they see fit for all meals and snacks.

Im sorry this is HILARIOUS! This has NOTHING to do with disney's customer service. The system will not allow some people to be on DDP and some not. Its an OPTION!! If you dont like it or it doesnt work for you, DONT USE IT!!!!

My grandma is 102 and eats like a mouse, can I pay for the childs DDP for her? What do you mean no? Thats horrible customer service! I want to bring my pet aardvark can I add him to the DDP? What do you mean no? Thats horrible customer service!!

How bout this- My wife is in a wheelchair so we may only park hop once or twice can I just pay $20 for parkhopping? What do you mean thats not possible! Thats horrible customer service!!

Get over yourself. Millions of people go to Disney every year with worse medical conditions and somehow manage to make it work

To the OP, you can still do the dining plan, as your daughter will not eat all her food, you can take it back to the room. I had a friend that did this surgery, when we would go to dinner, she would still order her apps and meal, and then just bring the rest back.

I totally agree with Disney on this, if they break the rules for one, they need to do it for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter