• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shame on Disneys Dining Plan !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Duck 57

Mouseketeer
I just need to vent. My DD just had gastric by-pass surgery not to long ago so she is limited on what she can eat and how much, So I called DVC to ask if just my DW and I could be on the dining plan and not my DD with a note from her doctor. I was told No. I was told the ONLY way this could be done was take DD off the ressie (no room key no magical express no extra magic hours) needless to say DW and I are very upset by this. It's not like we were asking for a free meal plan.As DVC members and Passholders we feel that our issue was just brushed away.Are the days of trying to make the guest happy gone?? Anyway thanks for letting us/me vent.:sad1::sad1::sad1:

Wow, what has happened to the impeccable customer service at Disney?!?!?!?!?!
I would call back, ask for a supervisor/manager and explain the situation and hopefully they can sprinkle some magic! Or write a letter/email, worth a shot! Good luck let us know how you make out!

Adding the DDP to a reservation is an all or nothing proposition - that is Disney's policy (and has been - at least as far back as to the old gold and silver plans).

The DDP doesn't work for every group or reservation.

Wow this is really disappointing to hear. I understand having rules, but there needs to be a case by case exception to them from time to time for situations like these. . . .especially since you had already planned on having a doctor's note etc.

If they are so concerned, they could require you to submit the doctor's note now so someone could call and verify. I would call back and try to speak to someone else and a supervisor and offer to send the note early and get it cleared.

Believe me I understand your frustration!
As a long time passholder, I can say based on my experience the days of Disney Guest service are LONG gone. We had a similar issue(medical) where we asked for a simple accomidation. When I made the ressies I was told "no problem", that quickly changed to "we will only meet your medical need if you spend more money". I cancelled the ressies, ironically AFTER all the plans were cancelled I got the "free upgrade" email that would have meet the medical need. And emails to Disney on the matter go unanswered.

If you have not already called, you may want to try Special requests. They are the ones who are supposed to be able to help in matters likes these, in my case they didn't, but I have read of others who were helped by them.

I hope it works out so you can have a wonderful vacation!

Question for the OP - are you staying on points or is it a cash reservation? I thought DVC members on points could add dining at the last minute, but I could be wrong. If that was the case, could you have her on the room, but only buy two dining packages when you check in? I'm curious on this one.

I know you can add a person to a room without them being on the package, by adding them after you check in, and the package is released. They get all the benefits with the exception of ME from the airport, and you only pay the extra adult charge for having them in the room. But if you need ME, that won't work for you.

If it were me, I'd probably be getting a good room only rate, and pay the meals OOP. If you like convenience, you can still charge the meals to your room and not have to carry cash everywhere. I can totally sympathize. My mom lost 60% of her stomach to cancer and can't eat much either. We don't get the dining plan, partially for this reason.

I agree with PP and would definately make a stink about it. Every rule has an exception, and this certainly seems like it would qualify. You are DVC MEMBERS! You are Disney's bread and butter!!! The repeat customer!!

It's not like you're not going back!!

If they won't let her off DDP, let them know that you will no longer advocate the virtues of being a DVC members with this type of treatment. Won't recommend it to your friends, etc.

Finally, if they still are adamant and won't let you be on DDP without her, tell them to take you off the DDP. You'd probably be better off just paying OOP and removing DDP from you and DW rather than paying $40+ per day for nothing.

Respectfully, the one commonality among all three ways to get the DDP is that all persons on the reservation must purchase (obtain, in the case of the free dining promotion only) the same Dining Plan for all nights of the reservation.

The Dining Plans do NOT 'work' for every party, plain and simple. If your party will be spending less than $117 per night for one table service/counter service/snack* - then it simply makes sense for you to pay out of pocket for the food you WILL order/eat.

It is regrettable that you feel you were brushed away - but consider that you are very likely far from the first party to ask this or similar questions, and that Member Services really does know what they're talking about and what the rules are.

*Basic Dining Plan. Other figures available on request.

Actually no, its not at all poor customer service.

The specifics of the Dining Plan are pretty clear. Its also the type of plan that doesn't always work for every group of guest. In your case, it doesn't work...so you don't use it.

Disney should not need to make exceptions to something that is an OPTION, not a requirement. It would be different if all guests were REQUIRED to use the Dining Plan; they're not.

Why bother geting all upset over this!!

Just go w/o the dining plan! ;)

Policy is a policy, and dont think they are going to bend......:confused3

I just got off the phone with Disney Dining. This is NOT a policy issue I was told by Norman it is a system issue that cannot be changed. Again it was suggested we take her off the ressie.( not an option) We are NOT looking for a freebie but we think this is SO unfair.I can't help but wonder how things would be if Walt was stilling running the show.Thanks again for your support and concern.:hug:

Because the Dining Plan is tied to the reservation and, I believe, pooled across all people on the same reservation, there is no way for their system to handle everyone being on the same reservation for most benefits, but not dining. I don't think it's a question of "we just don't feel like doing it."

As noted by several above, this is an optional item with certain guidelines, and they just don't work for all.

Cheers.

minnie michelle said:
especially since you had already planned on having a doctor's note etc.

If they are so concerned, they could require you to submit the doctor's note now so someone could call and verify.
Won't help. It's not that 'they are so concerned', it's that there are conditions attached to the/any Dining Plan.

livndisney said:
We had a similar issue(medical) where we asked for a simple accomidation. When I made the ressies I was told "no problem", that quickly changed to "we will only meet your medical need if you spend more money". I cancelled the ressies, ironically AFTER all the plans were cancelled I got the "free upgrade" email that would have meet the medical need.
Respectfully, and with what I know of the "free upgrade" process, it doesn't seem that your 'simple accommodation' request was actually all that simple. Not if the "free upgrade" was the standard value-to-DVC (or similar) offer. Apologies for heading :offtopic:

livndisney said:
If you have not already called, you may want to try Special requests. They are the ones who are supposed to be able to help in matters likes these,
Special Requests generally doesn't deal with Dining Plan exceptions (mainly because there aren't any).

fla4fun said:
Question for the OP - are you staying on points or is it a cash reservation? I thought DVC members on points could add dining at the last minute, but I could be wrong. If that was the case, could you have her on the room, but only buy two dining packages when you check in? I'm curious on this one.
Forty-eight or 72 hours in advance - so, no, they could not purchase the/any Dining Plan on arrival or at the last minute. I mean, they can - but that's not a way around the conditions. They'd still have to include the daughter.

Enforcement of a policy is not poor customer service.

As previous posters said (and I was thinking)...there should be case review; especially for major health concerns! I agree policy must be protected! And yes great point by other posters - dining plan is an option not a requirement.

DonaldDuck57 said:
Again it was suggested we take her off the ressie.( not an option)
Then, again, your option is to just not purchase any Dining Plan. Are you really going to spend more than $120 per day on restaurant food?

If you insist on purchasing the Dining Plan, the credits aren't allotted per person, but per party. You could use your daughter's credits for a couple/few Signature restaurants, and just share with her at all meals or pay out of pocket for her food.

Another option is to enjoy some extra meals with the credits that are allotted to her and pay OOP for her tiny meals. If you'll be there for 8 nights (just a random number for the sake of an example), that will give you 8 more TS and CS credits and you can use everybody's snack credits at CS locations for her meals (or pay OOP for sides that wouldn't be included) and at TS locations just pay OOP for sides or appetizers or kids meals.

As an AP holder, it may just be a better option for you to buy TiW rather than DDP. This would give you the most flexibility.

I just need to vent. My DD just had gastric by-pass surgery not to long ago so she is limited on what she can eat and how much, So I called DVC to ask if just my DW and I could be on the dining plan and not my DD with a note from her doctor. I was told No. I was told the ONLY way this could be done was take DD off the ressie (no room key no magical express no extra magic hours) needless to say DW and I are very upset by this. It's not like we were asking for a free meal plan.As DVC members and Passholders we feel that our issue was just brushed away.Are the days of trying to make the guest happy gone?? Anyway thanks for letting us/me vent.:sad1::sad1::sad1:

When are you going? Is it during free dining? I would assume, from reading your post, it isn't. Would it be possible to change your dates? Would it be more cost effective to drop the DDP and just pay OOP? I know I am asking you a lot of questions, but since your DD will not be able to eat very much maybe you and your DW could just share your meals with her. I know what you mean about the magic of Disney though. There are certain circumstances where someone may be unable to eat. I would call back and ask for a supervisor, explain the situation to them and see if they can do something about it. I hope it all works out, I hate to think Disney would not be more understanding.

As an AP holder, it may just be a better option for you to buy TiW rather than DDP. This would give you the most flexibility.

Brilliant! :idea:

That is the best option I've read for the OP so far.

TiW is good on drinks too if I'm not mistaken, and you don't have to have dessert with every meal :sick:. It can be used for the table, and everyone can eat exactly what they want.

slightly OT, but whatever option you choose, whether to pay OOP, use TiW, or get the dining plan and use credits differently, if she has had gastic bypass surgery, she should get a card from her doctor to bring with her to allow her to order child meals. At least then you're not paying oop for an adult meal. Although if you're eating at a buffet service, this may not make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter