Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

The Harbor side will remain the same until 2018, when it will be moved to the new Eastern Gateway next to Pumbaa.

The Harbor side will remain the same until 2018, when it will be moved to the new Eastern Gateway next to Pumbaa.

I'm interested to see whether the new security check points on the west and north side will make any difference to the traffic flow of pedestrians into the parks. For example, when we stay near the Harbor and Katella intersection, we vary which way we enter the esplanade and DtD -- sometimes via Harbor and sometimes via the GCH or by EOS. With the new system, if traffic at the new check points is really bad while everyone gets the hang of things, I can see us choosing the Harbor side entrance more often than we would normally. Or, if the new check points work out well, we would choose to enter by EOS most of the time.

If they move the Harbor security, where will the security be for the people coming from the hotels on Harbor? If I'm thinking correctly, the Eastern Gateway will be the pedestrian overpass bridge where Carousel sits now, but they would have to have some type of security for the people coming from the Harbor hotels, right?

We were there from Friday after thanksgiving until the 2nd Dec and only had a long queue for security on one day - and that was when we arrived for early entry. Even then, the queue looked really long but was probably only a 10min wait.

I'm happy to go through security queues for the peace of mind it brings.

If they move the Harbor security, where will the security be for the people coming from the hotels on Harbor? If I'm thinking correctly, the Eastern Gateway will be the pedestrian overpass bridge where Carousel sits now, but they would have to have some type of security for the people coming from the Harbor hotels, right?

No, the plan is to remove the current Crosswalk next to the Park Vue Inn and the BWPPPI&MS and extend the median on Harbor into one solid design, with a fence in the middle from Manchester to Disney Way. Harbor Hotel guests will be expected to enter the Security check area from a special entrance on Disney Way next to the Pummba Parking Structure, or a secondary entrance next to the Quality Inn on Manchester. The city will be closing sidewalks and doing other things to remove pedestrian traffic off of Harbor for safety reasons, and to help make vehicle traffic flow better in the area. There is an Anaheim Planning Commission meeting this Monday evening addressing the project, and many Harbor Blvd. Hotels/Motels are expected to attend. Should be an interesting meeting.

not sure if this has been answered or not -- the gates that come out of the grand into DTD between the Frozen shop and Sephora, what is going on there? Are the gates now closed? is there a checkpoint there too?
we use that all the time when staying at PP or BW Stovall and have an upcoming trip early Jan 2017 and that was our go to for getting into the parks
i was hoping this would be the first trip WITHOUT the stroller but if we have to trek longer to get into the parks then we might need to bring it

not sure if this has been answered or not -- the gates that come out of the grand into DTD between the Frozen shop and Sephora, what is going on there? Are the gates now closed? is there a checkpoint there too?
we use that all the time when staying at PP or BW Stovall and have an upcoming trip early Jan 2017 and that was our go to for getting into the parks
i was hoping this would be the first trip WITHOUT the stroller but if we have to trek longer to get into the parks then we might need to bring it

OK, this is the big unknown, and we won't have the final answer until they officially open up that new system, hopefully a week from now.

It is presumed the Hallway by Sephora will become a Security check area, 2 lines to enter, and then a lane for folks to exit into the Hotel.

Alas, this is the only practical Entrance for GCH guests, as the walk around is going to the Paradise Pier and then north to the ESPN Zone is a long detour.

So it looks like Disney will have to place restrictions on who can use the security check, especially in the morning hours. Many folks think that it will be limited to GCH guests only in the AM and then open up for others later in the day, similar to the DCA entrance at GCH.

Paradise Pier Guests will need to walk north to the ESPN Zone by the Disneyland Hotel, and so will off-property guests, here is a marked map showing the route that more than likely will be needed after next week.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6994502

I presume that Disney will post signage at the sidewalk next to the vehicle security check off of Disneyland Drive warning guests that there will be no park access through the GCH.

So using it at then end of the day should still work and be fine, it is the AM trip to the parks that will be the issue.

OK, this is the big unknown, and we won't have the final answer until they officially open up that new system, hopefully a week from now.

It is presumed the Hallway by Sephora will become a Security check area, 2 lines to enter, and then a lane for folks to exit into the Hotel.

Alas, this is the only practical Entrance for GCH guests, as the walk around is going to the Paradise Pier and then north to the ESPN Zone is a long detour.

So it looks like Disney will have to place restrictions on who can use the security check, especially in the morning hours. Many folks think that it will be limited to GCH guests only in the AM and then open up for others later in the day, similar to the DCA entrance at GCH.

Paradise Pier Guests will need to walk north to the ESPN Zone by the Disneyland Hotel, and so will off-property guests, here is a marked map showing the route that more than likely will be needed after next week.

I presume that Disney will post signage at the sidewalk next to the vehicle security check off of Disneyland Drive warning guests that there will be no park access through the GCH.

So using it at then end of the day should still work and be fine, it is the AM trip to the parks that will be the issue.

We've stayed at PPH the last 4 years. That would be a very unwelcome change in the mornings so we would likely have to re-evaluate where we stay.

bas

based on that info i would second guess staying at PP or BW Stovall again, going thru grand to DTD was such an nice option for staying on that side
wonder if now the monorail line ups are going to be longer to try to save time by walking all the way thru DTD every morning
wonder if it would be better to stay here instead https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hote...rs=hi.ex.rs.cv.ic.cp.in.vn.sb.cw.ul.6c&qWch=0
instead of BW Stovall, might be a shorter distance?

Last edited:
I typically start unpacking my bag pack way before I am near the tables. Security see's this and let's me walk through with no issues. I have never had to go through the second screening and never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

Smile, greet every employee by name and you will get more Disney Magic.

We have always done that too - unpack the stroller and open all bags BEFORE we get to the table (since we've been going with children since June 2012) and we still regularly were chosen for second screening (before they started sending all adults through the metal detector).

We always are prepared, smile, and thank the cast members for their work too. While security can be frustrating, guests can make it run more smoothly by being prepared. And to the person the OP saw chastising the cast member, hello? It isn't like they make the rules, they are just paid to enforce them (I know the OP feels the same given they pointed out the rudeness).

bas

based on that info i would second guess staying at PP or BW Stovall again, going thru grand to DTD was such an nice option for staying on that side
wonder if now the monorail line ups are going to be longer to try to save time by walking all the way thru DTD every morning

I don't see much change to the DtD Monorail Station crowds. The security check will now be by the ESPN Zone, so still close.

But there will still be the admission turnstiles, and I presume the same morning policy of only allowing Disney Hotel Guests to board until the morning rush is over.

The Monorail,if it passes the morning safety checks, won't leave the station until official opening (including EMH), but can only take about 110 guests, and then has to unload at Tomorrowland and return to pick up another set of guests, it is terribly slow and most guests just walk to the Main Entrance Plaza to get a full hour of the restricted attendance.

No, the plan is to remove the current Crosswalk next to the Park Vue Inn and the BWPPPI&MS and extend the median on Harbor into one solid design, with a fence in the middle from Manchester to Disney Way. Harbor Hotel guests will be expected to enter the Security check area from a special entrance on Disney Way next to the Pummba Parking Structure, or a secondary entrance next to the Quality Inn on Manchester. The city will be closing sidewalks and doing other things to remove pedestrian traffic off of Harbor for safety reasons, and to help make vehicle traffic flow better in the area. There is an Anaheim Planning Commission meeting this Monday evening addressing the project, and many Harbor Blvd. Hotels/Motels are expected to attend. Should be an interesting meeting.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. We never have a car/drive when we're at Disney, so I wasn't sure where the parking was. Nice to know that it will be just down the street on Disney way, so it isn't too much further of a walk for people.

bas

wonder if it would be better to stay here instead https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/anaheim/laxaw/hoteldetail?qRef=sr&qDest=Anaheim,+CA,+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sBR&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-117.9136&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qRtP=6CBARC&qLat=33.8353&qRmP=3&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=12&qBrs=hi.ex.rs.cv.ic.cp.in.vn.sb.cw.ul.6c&qWch=0

It will probably have us rethinking staying onsite at all. GCH and DLH are too expensive. And it's just going to hack me off to have to backtrack for security then walk all the way through DTD every single morning. And using the monorail is not how I want to enter the park, nor is it reliable enough for my taste at rope drop.

bas

wonder if it would be better to stay here instead https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/anaheim/laxaw/hoteldetail?qRef=sr&qDest=Anaheim,+CA,+United+States&qRpn=1&qChld=0&qSrt=sBR&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qGRM=0&qLng=-117.9136&qRdU=1&qRms=1&srb_u=1&qAdlt=1&qPSt=0&qRtP=6CBARC&qLat=33.8353&qRmP=3&qRRSrt=rt&qRad=30&qRpp=12&qBrs=hi.ex.rs.cv.ic.cp.in.vn.sb.cw.ul.6c&qWch=0
I really hope we get some better news. I was hoping to try Stovall's for our next trip but it looks like we will stick with BWPPI because for now, I know what to expect on the Harbor side.

Lots of Disney regulars and experts on here....you all are so much help!! We're headed down Dec 26th and staying at Springhill Suites on Ball Rd. The last time we stayed in that area we walked through Mickey & Friends and rode the tram. For the new security changes do you think that is still the best (quickest) option? Is there a walking route you would recommend for our magic morning entry that might be faster than waiting fro the tram? Boys are 6 & 8 so no stroller and they can handle the walk. Thanks in advance!

Having security check points is just being safer and helping to make your environment safer.

After seeing the, IIRC, 90% fail rate of banned items - including weapons - getting through TSA security, no security checkpoints don't make me feel safer. Anyone truly interested in doing harm won't bother to try to go through security, they'll attack the people waiting in line before they even get to security (see: Brussels).

I know Disney has much more security behind the scenes, and their unseen security has been - and continues to be- more than enough to make me feel safe. I have no issue with bag check, bEva use I feel bag check is mostly there to slow you down so the unseen security can do their job. the metal detectors, imo, are nothing more than security theatre given how ineffective they are proven to be.

[QUOTE="DisneyJamieCA, post: 56838755, member: 153467"
ETA: We've been going to Disney with a stroller for a decade now and they have ALWAYS made us unload the bottom of the stroller, even when it's just blankets down there.[/QUOTE]

Interesting..they did make us unload it last year, but this year they didnt. Same weekend both years, avengers run weekend.

We've stayed at PPH the last 4 years. That would be a very unwelcome change in the mornings so we would likely have to re-evaluate where we stay.

Maybe somebody can convince them to re-open the PPH only entrance to DCA? :rotfl:

Disneyland Paris moved their security check points a few years ago similar to what is happening in DL now and it works so much better - there are several points depending where you are entering from rather than just one. They also installed airport type scanners which bags go through - this makes it very quick as bags done need to be opened.

The other thing worth thinking about is that GC hotel will be within that secure zone already so anyone entering from there may not need to go through security again. They may set up a system of scanning all bags etc as people enter the hotel from the car park/bus side/main entrance and so they will have entered the secure zone. This is what happens at DL hotel in Paris which is also at the park entrance like GC. People staying in there don't have to go through security as have already been checked. So from GC people would be able to go straight into the park or into DTD. Anyone cutting through GC from PP hotel for example would probably be scanned going into GC .

I doubt it is going to change. Keys for all hotels are identical, there is no way to differentiate between the hotels. It would mean they make different keys for the Grand. It would also make people reconsider breakfast at Storytellers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter