Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
I can't believe the "security" that is actually security theater that is going on at Disneyland now.
We just returned last night and it has really devolved into ridiculously stupid.

Why Disney doesn't throw some money at this baffles me. They need to buy more walk through scanners as well as staff it with more screeners. I see that they updated their security chopstick with sticks that have lights on them.

The wait to get into California Adventure through Grand Californian was an hour wait. I am all for 100% screening and 100% go through the scanner. That's fine. The random checks were worthless. We laughed at the fact that my husband could have a gun and ammo in his cargo shorts yet they are checking my little crossbody bag. Now they are unloading strollers because they have to see the bottom of the stroller.

We watched as they made people clear out scooters and wheelchairs. The person could stay in the seat, but everything else had to come out. We witnessed a guy just lose it with the screener--an older lady. It was a shame. This poor woman probably working for minimum wage had to listen to this guy work himself into a tizzy over how stupid this process is. He was completely right. Everything he said was absolutely true, but he was an *** about it. There was even a security guy strolling up and down the area, but he did not go over to divert the situation or help this screener. I imagine these screeners get crap all day and night. People are so agitated and frustrated going through the process.

The backup is ridiculous. It's a horrible way to start your time at the parks. Zero magic.

I truly can't believe how badly Disney is doing this. It's downright stupid. Do they not have people working on this? Any actual security or law enforcement experts? Military? Anyone? They have so much money that would solve this problem.

For the love of churros, I have not seen a screwed up system this bad in a long time.

OK--rant over. But seriously, it was the worst experience.

Disney is addressing the issues, and building all new Security checkpoints on the West Side of the park, near the ESPN Zone on two sides, and at the Mickey and friends Parking Structure.

Alas, GCH guests are getting screwed, due to the design of the hallways, you cna only have two lines to enter the DCA entrance, and the new Downtown Disney entrance next to Sephora will also be limited to two lines, plus a return to the hotel lane.

The Eastern Gateway will open in a couple of years, and will have an all new Security check area built from scratch, so that should be much better.

The new head of Disneyland Security is the former Police Chief of Fullerton. He just resigned from FPD and starting his new job at Disneyland.

Most Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier guests with the EMH are opting to use the Main Entrance and its security due to the GCH backups.

Also, when the new security checks open in a week or two, GCH guests will have two restrictive checkpoints, and the only other option is to walk to the Paradise Pier Hotel and head north by the Disneyland Hotel to the ESPN Zone security check area. Also some Paradise Pier and off-property guests have been using the GCH to get to Downtown Disney and the Main Security checkpoint. They will quickly learn to head to the ESPN Zone due to the long wait expected at the new GCH Security Check to enter Downtown Disney. Disney might also decide to limit the entrance to just those guests with a GCH Room Key or a proof of payment at a GCH Restaurant that day.

We should know more in the next few weeks.

Um, don't use the GC entrance?

I go to Disneyland literally every week, often more than once per week. I am never bothered by security.

But to entertain some of your questions:

Yes, there are people "working on this." Every day. Security is an extremely fluid thing...stuff changes daily, due to new intelligence and evaluation of protocols (what is working, what is not, etc.)

Yes, the people "in charge" have both extensive military experience, law enforcement experience, Intelligence gathering and analytic experience, experience with terrorism, IEDs, weapons, etc. They are a VERY diverse bunch and well trained. The current head of security at the Resort is a former Fullerton Chief of Police. The people higher up at the corporate level have decades of experience relevant to the operations happening on the ground at the Resort. They are actively engaged down at that level, and visit the property frequently.

Security doesn't get paid minimum wage. They start at $15/hr.

If they have gone to checking strollers and scooters, you can bet there is a very good reason.

And yeah, people can smuggle stuff in cargo pockets, but they are trained to look at people wearing clothing like that very closely and they have recently actually caught people with weapons in cargo pockets. Without using the metal detectors.

I feel safer at DLR than anywhere else in public.

We learned the hard way that the GC entrance (if staying there) is much faster than the general entrance through Downtown Disney. That line was backed up PAST World of Disney store. Even with more stations, it was at a standstill and barely moving.

I have no issue with them screening and checking strollers and scooters. I have huge issues with being understaffed. The process needs to be sped up.
It needs to change. The current system is ridiculous and so slapstick. There is no way the people up the food chain experience the mess at the gates. If they did, it would change immediately.

We learned the hard way that the GC entrance (if staying there) is much faster than the general entrance through Downtown Disney. That line was backed up PAST World of Disney store. Even with more stations, it was at a standstill and barely moving.

I have no issue with them screening and checking strollers and scooters. I have huge issues with being understaffed. The process needs to be sped up.
It needs to change. The current system is ridiculous and so slapstick. There is no way the people up the food chain experience the mess at the gates. If they did, it would change immediately.

The people at the top, so to speak, absolutely DO see what's going on. Often. Trust me on that. And a LOT has already changed from how things were a year ago, mostly due to new upper level corporate hires who replaced ineffective leaders. What you are seeing at this time is what happens when we live in a crappy world full of crappy people who want to do bad things, in a place that tens of thousands of people pass through every day. The success of the security operation is not defined by how quickly people move through but by the lack of serious incidences on the property. They are doing good work over there.

Security is just part of visiting the parks.

We were at Disneyland for 5 days, just came home last night. We went through security each morning and again in the evenings. Sometimes as many as three times a day, both the Harbor side and DTD side. We only used the DCA GCH a few times mid day. We learned long ago to not use the GCH's DCA entrance in the morning.

Sure the security lines took awhile but that's the way it is. It wasn't as bad as some of the ride lines. We also would pick a security line with as few strollers as possible.

I see Disney's security just like TSA at the airports. Lines are longer at certain times. If people ahead of you aren't organized or familiar with TSA, the lines go slower.

I'm glad Disney is taking steps to keep us safe when we're in the parks.
If Disney's security is an issue for you then don't go.

Geemo

We learned long ago to not use the GCH's DCA entrance in the morning.

Geemo

There is a big difference using the DtD Security check, as you can do that before EMH starts, and then be in one of multiple lines at the turnstiles to enter.

The way the GCH Entrance is designed, they can't start security until the park opens, and then only 2 people at a time, which takes a lot more time. And the smart DLH and PPH guests are already riding attractions inside the park. Also, sometimes Disney will do a rope drop on busy days, and the Main Entrance EMH folks are even past the turnstiles and can grab a cup of Starbucks while waiting for the rope to drop...

Magic doesn't have to always come FROM Disney... I hate the lines but I know it's a damn tough job what they are doing, they get a pile of poop from guests all day long, and it's thankless yet they are trying to keep people safe. So I always try to chat and wish them a great day and THANK them for doing their job. sometimes we can spread a little magic ourselves.

It can be frustrating, but a necessary frustration for now. I wish there was nothing to worry about and everyone only had good intentions when visiting Disneyland. We all know there are people with issues in the world though.

I'm guessing that the extensive security searches yesterday were due to the bomb threat regarding the Red Line station at Universal City (the Red Line stop for USH). That threat was big enough to make the national news. If USH was under a security watch, you'd better believe that Disney and every other theme park in the area increased their security in response.
That said, I can understand the OP's frustration, but I would rather have security be thorough and plan for extra time than have them give in to guests' impatience.

There is a big difference using the DtD Security check, as you can do that before EMH starts, and then be in one of multiple lines at the turnstiles to enter.

The way the GCH Entrance is designed, they can't start security until the park opens, and then only 2 people at a time, which takes a lot more time. And the smart DLH and PPH guests are already riding attractions inside the park. Also, sometimes Disney will do a rope drop on busy days, and the Main Entrance EMH folks are even past the turnstiles and can grab a cup of Starbucks while waiting for the rope to drop...

Absolutely this. We were there on a day that DL opened at 9, and the early entry into DCA began at 9. We were going to DCA and thought that entrance would be better because we would avoid the regular entry crowds heading into DL on a fairly late open. But when I saw how long the GCH line was (longest I have ever seen), we bailed and decided to head for the DTD entry. The lines were quite long as expected, but moved nicely when bag check opened in advance of rope drop. We were about 10 people back at the gates waiting to get in when the rope dropped. If we had stayed with the GCH entry, we would have been 10-15 minutes into park time before we got in.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time yesterday. We arrived at 9am yesterday to the entrance from Harbor and were through security in just a few minutes. Maybe try the main entrance instead of the GCH one today?

Past 3 days, harbor side, the security was smooth and fast during RD and afternoon. only exception was the candlelight processional Sunday afternoon return at around 3pm.

Alas, GCH guests are getting screwed, due to the design of the hallways, you cna only have two lines to enter the DCA entrance, and the new Downtown Disney entrance next to Sephora will also be limited to two lines, plus a return to the hotel lane.
This sounds disappointing. Paying all that money to be in the closest location and then having possibly the slowest entrance into the parks. They are probably planning on only GCH guests entering from there, but the reality is that many people walking from PP and other hotels/motels go through the Grand to get to the parks. The whole thing sounds really crazy to me especially after looking at a one night's stay which is over $600. + all the taxes. :crazy2:

If I understand the new security correctly, there will be no security by La Brea Bakery anymore? Everyone coming from that side will either go through security at ESPN Zone or at the Mickey and Friends parking structure? I can see where DLH guests will go through security and then they can hop on the monorail, but what are the PPH guests expected to do? They will either have to go through the entrance at ESPN Zone or crowd through GCH. It just sounds like staying on Harbor and walking across the street is going to be a lot easier than staying on site.

The new western security check points (5 that I Know of).

1. Mickey and Friends Parking Structure. after getting off the escalators and restroom area, there will be a security check to enter the tram loading area, and the tram is now part of the secure area.

2. Downtown Disney between the ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe (North side)

3. Downtown Disney between ESPN Zone and Earl of Sandwiches (West side)

4. The GCH entrance next to Sephora. Very little info about this one is known, and might be restricted to GCH guests only, especially in the morning hours. No official announcement about it has been made.

5. The current GCH entrance to DCA.

This places all of Downtown Disney inside the secure zone, so the Monorail Station will no longer have a security check, and of course, the La Brea Bakery area will be wide open.

The current walkway from Disneyland Drive to the tram loading area along the north edge of DtD will be closed to traffic, but will remain as an emergency egress route (fenced off with special gates that will open in case of a major emergency.

The other unknown is the Picnic Area, will a new one be built in the DtD parking lot near the ESPN Zone as a replacement?

They're probably beefing up security due to the recent threats in L.A.

When we were there a couple months back, the security line took something like 45 minutes to get through (Harbor side). It was backed up all the way to the bus loading. Everything went smoothly and we just accounted for extra time when we planned to head over. While some may think it's only "security theater" and pointless, they have a very real and very good security team that keeps everyone safe. It's hard for people to see what goes on behind the scenes, but there is much more security than what guests see.

Disney is addressing the issues, and building all new Security checkpoints on the West Side of the park, near the ESPN Zone on two sides, and at the Mickey and friends Parking Structure.

The Eastern Gateway will open in a couple of years, and will have an all new Security check area built from scratch, so that should be much better.

The new head of Disneyland Security is the former Police Chief of Fullerton. He just resigned from FPD and starting his new job at Disneyland.

Most Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier guests with the EMH are opting to use the Main Entrance and its security due to the GCH backups.

Also, when the new security checks open in a week or two, GCH guests will have two restrictive checkpoints, and the only other option is to walk to the Paradise Pier Hotel and head north by the Disneyland Hotel to the ESPN Zone security check area. Also some Paradise Pier and off-property guests have been using the GCH to get to Downtown Disney and the Main Security checkpoint. They will quickly learn to head to the ESPN Zone due to the long wait expected at the new GCH Security Check to enter Downtown Disney. Disney might also decide to limit the entrance to just those guests with a GCH Room Key or a proof of payment at a GCH Restaurant that day.

We should know more in the next few weeks.
As always..... I enjoy your input on this.
I'm bringing my 86 yrs young Mom to DL on Monday. Staying at PPH for the week. I'll be keeping a look out for updates on the approach / strategy for PPH Hotel to DTD / parks.
I was there last week with Granddaughter's at DLH and it was interesting to see the new security areas being put in place by the ESPN area.
My hope is more staffing will be in place to keep the lines flowing faster.
But as I tell anyone I go with PYP / Pack Your Patience & that Security is part of the process and to plan your time so you're not feeling rushed and getting stressed.

We just recently visited DLR/DCA this past weekend and on one of the days that we visited, we got there about an hour after the park opened and entered from the Harbor Blvd entrance. The security line was the longest I've ever seen but keep in mind, we're usually in the park before rope drop or there right about when it happens so we were late and therefore we usually don't see any long security lines. Of course people, please keep in mind that attendance at DLR/DCA has gone up and not down and you are visiting at one of the busiest times of the year so EXPECT lines and you'll be better for it. Remember, being in a line at Disneyland is still better than being on your couch at home.

I appreciate the security especially since when I visit DLR/DCA, I'm with my family so I want it to be a safe experience. Frankly, I would have preferred it to have happened years earlier and I assume that they had non-visible security happening back then but it's nice that they're now also physically checking people as they walk through.

I get that going through security can be a hassle because it takes time and there are many people trying to get through as quick as possible but please keep in mind that a successful security check is measured in the fact that no instances have occurred at the park and not by how quickly you passed through the security check point. Unfortunately, in our world today, it's a necessity just like how a lock down drill is a necessity at my kids' elementary school. It's sad but that's the world we live in today.

Do your part in helping the line move quicker by having your stuff ready for the security person. Be pleasant. Smile and move along. Remember, the person on the other end is a person and just doing their job to help make your visit that much safer.

...and no I don't work for DLR/DCA and I'm not affiliated with them in anyway or for the security people for that matter. Just trying to help people see another perspective and not get their panties all in a bunch over something as silly as security checkpoints.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter