Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

Wow, I had no idea the security lines had gotten so long. That is frustating, especially when that wait is unexpected and when you compare to other large parks and facilities who are able to streamline their processes.

I am considering staying at Stovall's on Katella or BWPPI on Harbor, which end has more efficient security? I have always had good luck on the Harbor side, my last visit was mid September. My next visit is February. TIA

We just recently visited DLR/DCA this past weekend and on one of the days that we visited, we got there about an hour after the park opened and entered from the Harbor Blvd entrance. The security line was the longest I've ever seen but keep in mind, we're usually in the park before rope drop or there right about when it happens so we were late and therefore we usually don't see any long security lines. Of course people, please keep in mind that attendance at DLR/DCA has gone up and not down and you are visiting at one of the busiest times of the year so EXPECT lines and you'll be better for it. Remember, being in a line at Disneyland is still better than being on your couch at home.

I appreciate the security especially since when I visit DLR/DCA, I'm with my family so I want it to be a safe experience. Frankly, I would have preferred it to have happened years earlier and I assume that they had non-visible security happening back then but it's nice that they're now also physically checking people as they walk through.

I get that going through security can be a hassle because it takes time and there are many people trying to get through as quick as possible but please keep in mind that a successful security check is measured in the fact that no instances have occurred at the park and not by how quickly you passed through the security check point. Unfortunately, in our world today, it's a necessity just like how a lock down drill is a necessity at my kids' elementary school. It's sad but that's the world we live in today.

Do your part in helping the line move quicker by having your stuff ready for the security person. Be pleasant. Smile and move along. Remember, the person on the other end is a person and just doing their job to help make your visit that much safer.

...and no I don't work for DLR/DCA and I'm not affiliated with them in anyway or for the security people for that matter. Just trying to help people see another perspective and not get their panties all in a bunch over something as silly as security checkpoints.
I agree 100%

I'm always amazed the amount of people that dont even get ready for their turn to have their bags / strollers checked. I try to assume it's their first time and they don't know the process. But OMG ..... when the people in front of you approach the security table and aren't prepared.
Ugh.....deep breath

Wow, I had no idea the security lines had gotten so long. That is frustating, especially when that wait is unexpected and when you compare to other large parks and facilities who are able to streamline their processes.

Universal Studios Hollywood just built a new Security check area and it is very nice and efficient.

Six Flags does a great job and has for years.

Hopefully Disney will do well with its designed from scratch new security check zones, as compared to the current forced in to add them quickly.

This sounds disappointing. Paying all that money to be in the closest location and then having possibly the slowest entrance into the parks. They are probably planning on only GCH guests entering from there, but the reality is that many people walking from PP and other hotels/motels go through the Grand to get to the parks. The whole thing sounds really crazy to me especially after looking at a one night's stay which is over $600. + all the taxes. :crazy2:

If I understand the new security correctly, there will be no security by La Brea Bakery anymore? Everyone coming from that side will either go through security at ESPN Zone or at the Mickey and Friends parking structure? I can see where DLH guests will go through security and then they can hop on the monorail, but what are the PPH guests expected to do? They will either have to go through the entrance at ESPN Zone or crowd through GCH. It just sounds like staying on Harbor and walking across the street is going to be a lot easier than staying on site.

very disappointing

I get that going through security can be a hassle because it takes time and there are many people trying to get through as quick as possible but please keep in mind that a successful security check is measured in the fact that no instances have occurred at the park and not by how quickly you passed through the security check point. Unfortunately, in our world today, it's a necessity just like how a lock down drill is a necessity at my kids' elementary school. It's sad but that's the world we live in today.

But, the world we live in today is not actually any more dangerous. The rate of violent crimes overall and of murders has been steadily dropping since the early 1990s and is now at rates comparable to 1970. Lockdown drills are not actually necessary at your local elementary school; I wish my kids' school didn't have them. Yes, shootings have happened at schools, although the worst attack at a U.S. school occurred in 1927, but we're living in fear when we should not. Believe me, I know very bad things happen every day, but we have no more reason to live in fear than at any time in history, and living in fear isn't healthy.

It's security theater because it makes people feel better and gives the appearance of doing something to keep people safe, but, in the very unlikely event that someone does want to attack people at Disneyland, a determined person can get past these types of searches. They rarely seem aimed at identifying real threats. Meanwhile, we have to deal with the hassles and are made to feel like terrible people for questioning such security efforts. I don't blame Disneyland because the world we live in today does include a lot of fear in large part because of instant media, but I do wish people would not believe the myth of the more dangerous world. Hopefully DL can make changes to reduce the inconvenience to their guests, while still appeasing security expectations.

I'll definitely agree with the OP. Security can be terrible at times. We always add an extra 15 minutes to the time of entering the parks. That's usually enough, but sometimes it's not. Even still, anticipating this problem doesn't help it. It's certainly a Magic killer, like the OP said. I get that security is a must. Just like going to an airport, you expect security lines. But the airport security is run by the government, so I expect it to be lousy. Security run by Disney should be much better. If they can have entertaining queues for attractions, they can do something about the security lines.

I'm guessing that the extensive security searches yesterday were due to the bomb threat regarding the Red Line station at Universal City (the Red Line stop for USH). That threat was big enough to make the national news. If USH was under a security watch, you'd better believe that Disney and every other theme park in the area increased their security in response.
That said, I can understand the OP's frustration, but I would rather have security be thorough and plan for extra time than have them give in to guests' impatience.
That must be it, as we have been there the last 2 weeks, and nothing CLOSE to what he described happened. Being on a scooter, they generally look in the basket, the back pouch, and the most have I have to do is lift up any sweatshirt or bulky item I have. And I vote for people who have strollers taking stuff out. And yes, the OP could put a gun in his cargo pants, but it would be discovered when he went thru the metal detector.

The line at the GCH at opening is LONG. Don't use it at opening. I have never seen it an hour long though. 20 mins? Yes, but never an hour. Thirty mins after opening, never had it longer than 5 mins. It is why we use the Main DTD entrance prior to entrance. Last Saturday, we headed to DCA for candy canes. We arrived at the DTD security tent at 7:15am. Took us less than 10 mins to get thru. We were lined up for DCA entry before 725am, and the gates opened at 730 and we were in. Yes, they look thru every zippered pocket of purses, but we know that and had every one opened and ready. I think that is one of the biggest problems is strollers who have everything crammed underneath. They aren't trying to prepare and only show their bag then need to haul it all out. If one person had it all pulled out when they approach, it would speed it up for everyone. I personally look for the line with the least number of strollers, because I see them go "Oh, you want to see UNDER the stroller too??" And back to the cargo pants, if they weren't looking under the stroller, that too would be the perfect place to hide a weapon.

We never have any problem with security. Sometimes the lines are long, but they are always moving, even that big mob in front of La Brea only actually took about 15 minutes to get through. I've never seen anyone be anything but polite and friendly to the security people. I'm sure there are jerks out there, but they are not the majority.

Universal Studios Hollywood just built a new Security check area and it is very nice and efficient.

Six Flags does a great job and has for years.

Hopefully Disney will do well with its designed from scratch new security check zones, as compared to the current forced in to add them quickly.

Please keep in mind though that the parks that you're mentioning above don't have nearly the amount of daily visiters as DLR/DCA. Six Flags for example is a surprise that they're even still around. Even when offering specials and deals like tickets for $25 when you bring a can of coke with you can't help fill a park means that the security check point is going to be smooth because nobody is in line to get into the park.

But, the world we live in today is not actually any more dangerous. The rate of violent crimes overall and of murders has been steadily dropping since the early 1990s and is now at rates comparable to 1970. Lockdown drills are not actually necessary at your local elementary school; I wish my kids' school didn't have them. Yes, shootings have happened at schools, although the worst attack at a U.S. school occurred in 1927, but we're living in fear when we should not. Believe me, I know very bad things happen every day, but we have no more reason to live in fear than at any time in history, and living in fear isn't healthy.

It's security theater because it makes people feel better and gives the appearance of doing something to keep people safe, but, in the very unlikely event that someone does want to attack people at Disneyland, a determined person can get past these types of searches. They rarely seem aimed at identifying real threats. Meanwhile, we have to deal with the hassles and are made to feel like terrible people for questioning such security efforts. I don't blame Disneyland because the world we live in today does include a lot of fear in large part because of instant media, but I do wish people would not believe the myth of the more dangerous world. Hopefully DL can make changes to reduce the inconvenience to their guests, while still appeasing security expectations.

That's great that you don't see the world as a more dangerous place and I hope you never experience any danger first hand as I don't want to to either but I will have to disagree with you that these are more dangerous times that we're living in then when I was a kid. Stats and numbers can always be manipulated and depending on which side of the coin you choose to believe can alter your point of view for the better or worse. To each their on how they view the world but it would appear that DLR/DCA agrees that it's dangerous enough to have security checkpoints.

I don't view it as living in fear. Living in fear would be to not go outside of my home. Having security check points is just being safer and helping to make your environment safer.

Like I said, it is a hassle but a hassle to help us stay safer at the Happiest Place on Earth.

Ugh.

I wanted to visit DLR next spring with our family on our Cali trip, but this is really making me think twice. I've had a lot of corrective surgery on my feet over the years and I only have so many hours of standing (usually around 4) before I'm a limping, hobbling mess. If I'm burning an hour on line before I even get into the park, that's not only a very inefficient use of my limited vacation hours, but a very wasteful use of my standing hours. Is my choice really to not go or rent a wheelchair to make it through the process?

I'm also reaching the tipping point with security theater, too. Great, they may keep some guns (or worse) out of the park. But I'm also standing on line for extended periods with lots of other people around who haven't been frisked or searched yet. They're just moving the incident zone from inside the park to outside the park - they're not actually making me safer. We saw this in Brussels.

You are being screened by Disney security well before you enter the security line and well after you enter the parks (notice the ear pieces on "tourists" waiting on benches around choke points in DTD and the park - on our last visit I counted some 3 dozen but I was paying attention to this and after I pointed one out to my wife going through security we were double checked and asked some questions before being allowed to re-enter). If security is slow for some reason, they're looking into something based on intel or have reason to give someone extra attention. Much of what you see is indeed security theater - the real security is happening elsewhere. Pain in the butt? Perhaps, but this is the world we live in now.

We haven't had bad security lines this week at all. We have seen some guests be pretty nasty to security though. One of the security personnel was a bit shaken this morning. I heard the supervisor saying they did the right thing and just tell the guests to get over it when they act like that. Sometimes it amazes me how oblivious people can be. It's not like security is something new in this world we live in.

On the subject of security, we were waiting for standby for the Candlelight Processional and they took a police dog down the line (on Main Street) sniffing. I've never seen the dogs inside the park before. I found it interesting. When my daughter asked me about it, I just explained that they were just taking extra precautions to be sure everyone was safe. I also explained that there is so much security we can't even see.

I can appreciate security more than anyone. Our courthouse(where I work) did not have it and I was involved in a shooting and stabbing because of it.

BUT, I think Disney can do a much better job at managing the flow. Maybe if added more lines.

We were there for avengers weekend and I can tell you that it sucks to run and then have to stand still for an hour waiting to get through security. I really felt at the time they could have planned ahead and added lines. Just my opinion.

see that they updated their security chopstick with sticks that have lights on them.

I don't know what that means.

The rest of it is so confusing. Is the post from 10 years ago? Even though they've updated security the issues aren't new. We've been dealing with and working around them for years.

The wait to get into California Adventure through Grand Californian was an hour

Yes. And it was 7 years ago on my birthday, too. That entrance is awful. Always has been. If you've had quicker waits you have been lucky in the past. Even then it was known that you either show up over an hour before opening to be first in line or you wait in a long line for at least an hour.

Now they are unloading strollers because they have to see the bottom of the stroller.

As they always have done. We haven't used a stroller since my 12 year old was 5 but even back then (and before) they had people unload items from the bottom. It's why we never put anything in the bottom.

This sounds disappointing. Paying all that money to be in the closest location and then having possibly the slowest entrance into the parks. They are probably planning on only GCH guests entering from there, but the reality is that many people walking from PP and other hotels/motels go through the Grand to get to the parks.

PPH and DLH guests are 100% allowed and expected to use that entrance.

Offsite guests are not allowed to use it at park opening.

So those aren't issues.

I've never seen the dogs inside the park before.

Really? Guess it's in the timing. We often see them.

Ugh.

I wanted to visit DLR next spring with our family on our Cali trip, but this is really making me think twice. I've had a lot of corrective surgery on my feet over the years and I only have so many hours of standing (usually around 4) before I'm a limping, hobbling mess. If I'm burning an hour on line before I even get into the park, that's not only a very inefficient use of my limited vacation hours, but a very wasteful use of my standing hours. Is my choice really to not go or rent a wheelchair to make it through the process?

I'm also reaching the tipping point with security theater, too. Great, they may keep some guns (or worse) out of the park. But I'm also standing on line for extended periods with lots of other people around who haven't been frisked or searched yet. They're just moving the incident zone from inside the park to outside the park - they're not actually making me safer. We saw this in Brussels.
You have 1 person's experience yesterday. We were at the parks last last weekend, and Thanksgiving weekend (Wed-Sun) and never had the experience noted here. Average wait times in security was usually 5 mins or less. To base not doing a trip on 1 persons one day experience would not be appropriate. I too went at park opening on Sat Dec 3, only I went thru the front gate (as there are 12 security lines instead of 2) and was in line less than 10 mins (I expected a longer wait) before hitting the Ca Adv gates.

On the subject of security, we were waiting for standby for the Candlelight Processional and they took a police dog down the line (on Main Street) sniffing. I've never seen the dogs inside the park before. I found it interesting. When my daughter asked me about it, I just explained that they were just taking extra precautions to be sure everyone was safe. I also explained that there is so much security we can't even see.
They have had dogs in the parks for YEARS. It was probably 6-8 years ago on New Years Eve, in NOS, a dog alerted, they cleared the area, and found a bag of fireworks someone had placed in a planter. I love watching them work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter