Security to enter the parks is the absolute worst. THE WORST

We went 4 days last week and had zero issues with the Harbor-side security. I took a double jogger, 4 kids-under-10, and 4-5 bags through by myself. I assumed they would need the bags out and each child was carrying a bag with instructions to open it for them. I usually got to go through the scanner. It took a little time, but not a big deal, about an hour before rope drop each day. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

I'm thinking that Disney needs more dogs in the security line. The sniffing kind. We were in line during our trip last month when the lady-cop handling a K-9 started getting a tug. Then the dog was off on a scent, started going after some guy in line....who promptly left the line and high tailed it into the bus stop area and then onto the street. He clearly had something on him, the dog sensed it, and he sensed the dog on his tail. It was kinda cool to watch the whole thing unfold. A few more dogs like that and nobody would dare bring a gunpowder weapon near the gates.

I had no issues with the GCH entrance to DCA, Nov 30 through Dec 4. Generally no wait, but never more than 5 minutes.
Always avoid the GCH entrance at park opening (this has been repeatedly posted on this board).

I haven't read the entire thread yet, and will go back to that, but we were at the parks the entire Thanksgiving week and never had a problem with the security lines. I think the most we ever waited was 5 mins.

ETA: We've been going to Disney with a stroller for a decade now and they have ALWAYS made us unload the bottom of the stroller, even when it's just blankets down there.

I will have to disagree with you that these are more dangerous times that we're living in then when I was a kid.

I thought the 1950s & 1960s were way more dangerous when they had school children ducking under desks and had bomb shelters constructed all over the city. Many people even constructed shelters in their backyard. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that any more.

I think part of your experience with security has to do with what time you arrive. When we're there an hour before park opening, we don't typically have a problem. It's the middle of the day that's always been the worst for us.

Anyway, they're working on it, albeit slowly. Yes, you have to wait in line. No, it's not a smooth line. You don't move through particularly quickly since people are scanning your bags instead of using airport baggage scanners. But, this is the same issue at most if not all southern California amusement parks. I still prefer them requiring everyone to go through over how things used to be where it was totally random. Honestly though, I wish they'd check strollers better. My kids are always allowed to be wheeled to the side while I go through the metal detectors. It's rare for anyone to check the stroller for concealed items.

I am hoping that within the next 2 years before SWL opens, there will be some major upgrades to security. We can only hope, right?

We've been here since Tuesday and haven't found security to be a problem. Makes me feel safer that they at least do some kind of check and the lines haven't been bad at all. I've seen a lot of sniffer dogs too. Probably a dozen.

I thought the 1950s & 1960s were way more dangerous when they had school children ducking under desks and had bomb shelters constructed all over the city. Many people even constructed shelters in their backyard. Thankfully we don't have to worry about that any more.

The "bomb scare" has turned into a different scare. Kids today regularly do lock-down drills (I know I went through the drills at least twice a year, both interior and exterior lock-downs, every single year I was in school).

I've never been in security line longer than 10 minutes at DL, although I've seen lines that were probably at least 20 min, and yes that was at GCH,when we were staying at PPH. We saw that line, did a uturn and went to the regular entrance which was quick.
Usually, it's about a 5 minute wait.

I always try to be pleasant.

As someone who grew up in the 60s we weren't worried about someone bring a bomb or assault rifle into the local amusement park .

Last edited:
I found it best to split up your party, each person in a different line. I typically start unpacking my bag pack way before I am near the tables. Security see's this and let's me walk through with no issues. I have never had to go through the second screening and never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

Smile, greet every employee by name and you will get more Disney Magic.

The "bomb scare" has turned into a different scare. Kids today regularly do lock-down drills (I know I went through the drills at least twice a year, both interior and exterior lock-downs, every single year I was in school).

Let's not forget the "active shooter" drills most teachers and schools are starting to do now. It's not a pretty picture. I think with the current climate not as peaceful as what we saw in the 80s and 90s, it's important to take more precautions security-wise. Hopefully there will again come a time where people feel very safe, but for now, from a psychological perspective if nothing else, these checks help people feel a little bit safer about going to crowded public places.

The time you go through definitely makes or breaks the situation. We zipped through several times. It's the times it was crowded (like---insanely crowded) that I have a problem with. Disney needs to staff up more to move that line through faster. Period. They should have plenty of data now to adjust staffing at peak times.

Everyone feels better when there is security. Metal scanning everybody is so much better than the random pick.
I agree with the above poster about some people just being completely unprepared to be scanned. It's like they're surprised and then it takes them all this extra time to start unloading and unpacking.

Those poor scanners take the brunt of people's frustration. I was really sad when I saw the older woman getting reamed by a guy. She's just doing her job, she's overwhelmed and the line went on as far as the eye could see. She must have felt like quitting.

PPH and DLH guests are 100% allowed and expected to use that entrance.

Offsite guests are not allowed to use it at park opening.

OK, when the new system is up and running , there will be two security check areas, the current one to enter DCA, and then the hallway to go to Downtown Disney by Sephora.

Since this will be a NEW Security Check, there are no known rules. IMHO, Disney is going to play it by ear, but I can easily see them limit the use, at least in the morning to just GCH guests to go through security to get into Downtown Disney. As they say, everything is subject to change at Disney. I was in the park this afternoon, and there is a large set of security gates being built between the ESPN Zone and the Earl of Sandwich, which is where Disney wants both the PPH and DH guests to go to enter the secure area.

So to keep the lines down for GCH guests,who have no other real option, unless they walk to the PPH and then head north, to enter the parks and Downtown Disney. They are already going to have a lot of upset guests due to the pool refurb and the room construction/refurb.

So on January 1st, Disney revises their policy of using the GCH entrances, in the morning, only GCH guests can use either entrance, after the morning rush, they can open it up to other people, such as those having a meal at the GCH. There is no more secret exit into DtD next to the La Brea Bakery,as it will be gated off.

Of course, all three Hotel Guests will still get the Extra Magic Hour, but will be expected to enter the parks from the Main Ticket Booth area (Esplanade).

Things are changing, and they are working hard to get it done by the end of next week...

Only time will tell what Disney comes up with for the rules for the new system.

Sooo the best place to enter the parks is where?

My guess the Security Check between the ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe, especially in the early morning hours. (Entering from the North).

When done, the new Easter Gateway Security Check next to Pummba (Opening in 2018).

Worse will be from the GCH. (Hallwyas will limit the amount of lines that can be used to enter the area.

I truly feel bad for folks with kids in strollers from out of town.
All the prep work and the security is something else sometimes.
Better days in the park.

My waits at security checks this afternoon, both were around 15 minutes waiting, the second time I got asked to go through the Metal Detector.

I am considering staying at Stovall's on Katella or BWPPI on Harbor, which end has more efficient security? I have always had good luck on the Harbor side, my last visit was mid September. My next visit is February. TIA

Since there are major security changes due to happen very soon, no one knows yet exactly how this will affect the Harbor side bag check. Keep checking back here on the boards for updates on the new security and its effects. You will definitely hear more news about this soon and more details and personal experience reports by February.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter