Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Just added a day to our trip in May so now we don't have to choose between Boma and a RoL dining package (whenever that time comes).

I think I need a Disney break. I've gotten very grumpy about it recently.

The new add-ons (the cabanas, the monorail thing, the express bus service) really irritate me, but I can't put my finger on why. It's not that we can't afford them, or that I begrudge other people a nice experience just because it doesn't suit me. Maybe it's that it feels so money grabbing? Maybe it's just that they haven't offered anything I'm interested in yet.

Or maybe it's that I hosted 25 4-year olds for a birthday party today and I'm exhausted and cranky.

Anyway, DH is going to a preview of RoL on Tuesday so I'll report back.

It has the be the 25 4 yr olds. Cant even image o_O

Ok can someone briefly explain the cabanas, monorail thing and express bus service? I have missed some things apparently

I did 18 kindergarteners yesterday. I feel you. Tequila definitely helped.

I took 25 first graders (17 are boys!) on a field trip Friday....had to save the wine until that night though....

Mother's Helper - so glad my kiddies are ............... well able to enjoy Mother's helpers with me ;)

cover.jpg

It has the be the 25 4 yr olds. Cant even image o_O

Ok can someone briefly explain the cabanas, monorail thing and express bus service? I have missed some things apparently

Short version ....................

CABANAS -
Have a snack and drink ready to read that thread cause folks are flipping their lids over it ........ calling Disney into the depths of disgust.
There are I think 4 tents right now, maybe 6, maybe 10' x 15", carpet, sofa, chairs, ottoman, small table & chairs, lamps, wall art, cabinet with fridge, locker, unlimited drinks, basket that is refilled with snacks, fruit basket, at least one round of ice cream, a runner for some QS food, pack and play if needed ...... and monogrammed Mickey Ears. For EIGHT people. It is yours open to close. They are to provide exclusive viewing for parades and maybe fireworks (still evolving) and good on Party days to keep if you are at party. $650 plus tax I think it comes to around $690. Right now behind hedges by SM. RUMORS - 90 day test. If passes will build permanent themed ones, supposed in MK will go on top of the old Sky Bucket building (right next to where they sit now) and will come with viewing for Wishes up there. RUMOR also they will join the other parks and the one that flipped folks out is RUMOR 1.5 acres dedicated to these at DHS SW Land. I'm like if they make it a SW village, add characters, special experiences and you feel immersed - go for it, maybe raise the price. Of course no one wants to lose SW land but they do have options next to SW land that could work for them.
Long thread but first review starts at post #363 http://www.disboards.com/threads/pr...review-post-363.3561869/page-19#post-56816302

MONORAIL -
BOOKED. Highway in the Sky Dine Around. SOLD OUT through March in 24 hours. Based on first reports (started Friday) I don't see many will cancel this one. I see huge success and expansion. I did blow by blow first night pulling someones Instagram. More have reported in. 5 Courses at 3 hotels ending with private Wishes viewing. Alcohol, Appetizers, Dinner, Desserts. I see great potential, great options for expanding and I think there is a huge market of us that would do this. There are a few spots for 1 being reported open.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/highway-in-the-sky-dine-around-with-wishes-viewing-area.3563105/

BUS EXPRESS -
Interesting, I think the result of the Transportation Surveys asking if guests would pay extra for more exclusive. So for a fee you can add to Hoppers or APs you can get park to park "express" bus service from within the parks to avoid security and walk to depots. I think it's a slippery slope, we don't need that many people behind the scenes AND they have priced it too low, folks won't blink at adding it ....... and I don't think they will be able to handle the demand without a big impact otherwise. http://www.disboards.com/threads/new-express-transportation-add-on-starting-dec-7th.3563694/

Last edited:
Okay .... so I will vote on the 25 4 year olds .... 'cause if I did that, no I couldn't do that. You are the woman! I can't even imagine!!! I spent many years bribing my kids to not have parties. It worked out really well for me.

You know it seems like this stuff comes in cycles and sometimes the timing isn't so great and it piles on to the season. Holidays are expensive enough and then when you see all these happen for money I think it gets irritating at times ... adds to everything. I have been super sick a week. I have empty trees, boxes of decor sitting around, bought maybe 4 gifts total, don't feel like buying any more, while my Mom is so excited to be in town for holiday (they live FL 1/2 the year) - I'm all bah humbug and just want to go to beach.

I would rather they introduce this kind of stuff during slower times when we are looking for something new or more to do and can embrace. I get why they do it, but it seems every 6 mos they roll out lots at once, it is aggravating .....

I mean where is the priority on this SHOW, why isn't it done like it was supposed to be? Why do we have to accept a reduced show? (still hoping they don't open it and finish the job) Why are the 3rd party restaurants for DDP not finalized so folks can plan and book, it's not like 2017 was a surprise. Where is the night parade for MK? I think when we have a few big things lingering it begins to look like smoke ............... hey, look over here!

- I don't care about the transportation thing but I think it's a slippery slope and I hate taking more guests behind the scenes.
- I don't care about the cabanas but I don't want tents lingering. Make a decision and imagineer something to fit in.
- I ... am booked for the monorail dine around and hope they come up with more of these. I'm at the stage for them.

It's just that time of year it is easy, for me anyway, to get easily irked. LIKE, DS just ran out to grab a burger (better bring me some fries) and he leaves the tv on the Clemson game. I hate orange. I don't want to watch them. AND I can't reach the remote so I have to uncozy my blanket and go get it ..... first world problems. :rolleyes:

Tell DH we CRAZY LOUNGERS are waiting .......

giphy.gif

Maybe that's partly it. I feel like the stuff that everyone can experience for free is being shelved or pushed aside in favor of things that bring in more money. Oh, and I LOVE that musical!

I did 18 kindergarteners yesterday. I feel you. Tequila definitely helped.

See, we did have alcohol at the party, but as the host, I felt like I should abstain. I don't know why, it would have made the experience much more pleasant!

I took 25 first graders (17 are boys!) on a field trip Friday....had to save the wine until that night though....

Wow, that actually sounds worse! At least I had other parents there, and it only lasted two hours. DS actually had an amazing day, as did his friends, and that's all that matters. But oh my goodness, it was so much work!

Last K party I held, was at a bowling alley. I had the barkeep providing pitchers for me and some of the dads. I am a rotten and terrible mom.
:drinking1

We were at a bowling party recently (a bowling party for about 20 4-year olds...it was absolute chaos!) and each table was set up with one pitcher of juice, one of lemonade, and three of beer! I saw one dad (who was there on his own with twins girls) drinking out of a beer pitcher with a straw!

We were at a bowling party recently (a bowling party for about 20 4-year olds...it was absolute chaos!) and each table was set up with one pitcher of juice, one of lemonade, and three of beer! I saw one dad (who was there on his own with twins girls) drinking out of a beer pitcher with a straw!
Amen.

The thing was, even though we had 15 bowling kindergarteners, we had several moms staying at the party who were definitely the "organizer mom!" types who were keeping stuff under control. That is so not me. I am very good at having a beer and intervening if kids injure themselves, but I was pretty superfluous.

So. Beer.

Going to see Moana tomorrow with my nephews ... excited to see it based on the positive reviews!

As for RoL ... hopefully by our projected next trip (2020) it will be well established with the initial frenzy worn off ... a girl can hope, right?
We saw Moana last week, and we loved it!

Amen.

The thing was, even though we had 15 bowling kindergarteners, we had several moms staying at the party who were definitely the "organizer mom!" types who were keeping stuff under control. That is so not me. I am very good at having a beer and intervening if kids injure themselves, but I was pretty superfluous.

So. Beer.

Yep, that's me! "Have fun kids, don't get hurt, call if you need me!"

We saw Moana last week, and we loved it!

We really enjoyed it. Laughed out loud a few times (and I cried twice truth be told). One of the twins (7 going on 27 apparently) was really impressed with how well the voices matched up with the lip movements. All three boys enjoyed Maui and the chicken. I enjoyed the music a lot, but find it hasn't stuck with me ... I was humming Frozen songs for a week after first seeing it ... I've been "hum free" since returning from the cinema this afternoon.

Just roaming ...... saw some interesting comments .. at the other place ...
.... quoted it below and then found the source of the info.

Also saw postings Iger is coming to town, maybe to watch show, see Drones or possibly he has rented a cabana ;)

As usual, all hearsay/rumor ......
which changes with the wind ........

"On the latest premium episode of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish w/Jim Hill and @lentesta they discussed this. Per Jim, Iger saw a video of the CM previews and didn't think there was enough there for it to stand on it's own. It could be delayed as far as Summer 2017 to open with Avatar where it wouldn't bear the grunt of the pressure. He also mentioned that they would open it with little change and then develop a new show within 3-4 years after the initial costs of Rivers of Light have been absorbed/written off."

Starts ROL at minute 6:35

ACTUAL SOURCE: https://disneydish.bandcamp.com/track/unbuilt-muppets-12-01-16-itunes-show-directors-cut

Last edited:
1) I have no idea what Ogre (OK, if you must, Iger) has seen of the "show".
. . . Jim Hill is sometimes right-on-the-money
. . . other times, Jim is way-off-the-mark
. . . so I could not, nor would not, offer an opinion
2) But, from someone I know in IT, the computerized review replies from Cast Members are not well rated.
3) People do agree the colors and water fountains are well done, but little else.
. . . mediocre music
. . . little recognizable theme of/for the show
. . . zero finale
. . . promised effects-floats-boats-actors are not ready for presentation
4) We will see what tonight and tomorrow night previews are like - and whether there have been changes from the first previews.

1) I have no idea what Ogre (OK, if you must, Iger) has seen of the "show".
. . . Jim Hill is sometimes right-on-the-money
. . . other times, Jim is way-off-the-mark
. . . so I could not, nor would not, offer an opinion
2) But, from someone I know in IT, the computerized review replies from Cast Members are not well rated.
3) People do agree the colors and water fountains are well done, but little else.
. . . mediocre music
. . . little recognizable theme of/for the show
. . . zero finale
. . . promised effects-floats-boats-actors are not ready for presentation
4) We will see what tonight and tomorrow night previews are like - and whether there have been changes from the first previews.

:thumbsup2

1) This project has reinforced that we simply can't believe anything we hear,
not even from Disney, as anything can happen, at any given time.
2) Good to hear they are taking input from CMs who saw it. Unlike many Guests,
CMs as with the "bloggers" look for expected Disney benchmarks and quality.
3) Sad. It needs to be a complete package, especially given all the extra time.
4) Looking forward to reviews. I don't know why you bother unless you made change.
Unless they are of theory if you ask enough, you'll eventually get the answer you want. :confused3

:thumbsup2

1) This project has reinforced that we simply can't believe anything we hear,
not even from Disney, as anything can happen, at any given time.
2) Good to hear they are taking input from CMs who saw it. Unlike many Guests,
CMs as with the "bloggers" look for expected Disney benchmarks and quality.
3) Sad. It needs to be a complete package, especially given all the extra time.
4) Looking forward to reviews. I don't know why you bother unless you made change.
Unless they are of theory if you ask enough, you'll eventually get the answer you want. :confused3

I think a portion of why they keep doing previews is to see how the show actually runs, as well as getting Cast feedback. With the first preview, we saw that there are still technical issues to iron out.

I agree that you can't believe what you hear - my friend WORKED ON THE SHOW and told me she thought it would be ready in October - it wasn't. She was taken off the project (at her request) in November, and I think would be happy to never hear the words 'Rivers of Light' ever again.

I think a portion of why they keep doing previews is to see how the show actually runs, as well as getting Cast feedback. With the first preview, we saw that there are still technical issues to iron out.

I agree that you can't believe what you hear - my friend WORKED ON THE SHOW and told me she thought it would be ready in October - it wasn't. She was taken off the project (at her request) in November, and I think would be happy to never hear the words 'Rivers of Light' ever again.

Oh I remember you saying she wanted off and they wouldn't let her. Glad she was able to finally move on. Can't imagine the moral of those involved.

I apologize in advance, but this is completely off topic. The reason I am asking here as opposed to the thread I read about it on, is because my question would be off topic for the other thread and this is a discussion thread so I figured the usual posters here would be more tolerant... :)

@HopperFan I saw on the express bus service thread you were discussing the Epcot/DHS/resort boats. In June, we are going to do a DHS day. We will rope drop or H&V ppo if I can ever book the thing (not currently bookable for some reason but that's a complaint for another time), then do a midday break. We will drive. I plan to be back at the DHS main gates in time for Characterpalooza around the 4:30 time frame, pending that is still going. After that, we will not be going back into DHS immediately bc we have a Beaches and Cream ADR around 5:45. I was planning on taking the boat over from DHS, just for the experience. However, I saw you mentioned how slow it was (which I have heard before) and someone else, I think, mentioned how hot it was. So if we were to decide to walk (DH, me, and the two boys probably in the double stroller), how far would it be? I'm a little worried about heat/sun. TIA

I apologize in advance, but this is completely off topic. The reason I am asking here as opposed to the thread I read about it on, is because my question would be off topic for the other thread and this is a discussion thread so I figured the usual posters here would be more tolerant... :)

@HopperFan I saw on the express bus service thread you were discussing the Epcot/DHS/resort boats. In June, we are going to do a DHS day. We will rope drop or H&V ppo if I can ever book the thing (not currently bookable for some reason but that's a complaint for another time), then do a midday break. We will drive. I plan to be back at the DHS main gates in time for Characterpalooza around the 4:30 time frame, pending that is still going. After that, we will not be going back into DHS immediately bc we have a Beaches and Cream ADR around 5:45. I was planning on taking the boat over from DHS, just for the experience. However, I saw you mentioned how slow it was (which I have heard before) and someone else, I think, mentioned how hot it was. So if we were to decide to walk (DH, me, and the two boys probably in the double stroller), how far would it be? I'm a little worried about heat/sun. TIA

I've walked it a few times with my DS who is disabled and tires easily. We have walked it both ways to/from Epcot. It really is a pleasant walk, way more pleasant than the boat ride. And we took off right away while others may wait sometime for the boat. It is a 20 minute walk, but from the moment you leave the park - no wait for boat (assuming you get on the next one), no wait for unload and load. Now I did ride the boat to Epcot so I wasn't getting off, you would get off the second stop. If you weren't trying for such a tight window with Characters and then ADR I would say try the boat.

One thing you can do is decide then. As you walk away from DHS look to see if the boat is at dock or coming towards dock and how many people are there waiting.

Here is the walking path - lots of shade along the path between DHS and the resorts.
BLUE Squares are the boat docks.

15338623_10154316836784102_2573525617874201598_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter