Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Not all of the effects were in the previews last night or tonight. Fire for example is still going to happen but hasn't happened yet.

No stops tonight.

Reports from Twitter

"I don't know why people thought this was boring... its so beautiful."

"Fantastic show, incredible use of technology, needs stronger ending"

"Rivers of light was amazing"

"I'm in love"

"literally brought me to tears"

This came from mulitple sources on twitter, not just one.

Photos I saw theater looked full.
Show was delayed about 20 minutes due to technical difficulties/reset issue.
Two barges hit each other.
Show stopped again.
Resumed.

Reports are it is very "conceptual/abstract", some impressive technical things, probably Disney's best use of technical components, great music and beautiful costumes. Better than Jungle Book.

BUT ..... they say there is no story, it is boring, no wow moments, many hoping this is a not the final product - especially since they had so many technical issues happen.

A person who travels nonstop to ALL Disney parks and I trust totally said "I do hope Disney doesn't rush RoL to a public release, though. Iron out issues, debut in 2017 in a Animal Kingdom re-launch with Pandora."

The consistent message that came up over and over .... it's not ready .... it needs more work, and it needs to work consistently. BUT once they fix things - it will be something beautiful to see, and a good fit for AK. WELL that is the nice reviews.

* A couple are reporting Technical CMs said stoppage was technical problems. A few are saying some other CMs were saying they stopped the whole show because they saw someone taping ......... (SMH) if you see someone taping you go stop them, you don't stop the whole show and disrupt the timing of a sensitive show.
------

Only photos I saw ... other than the BIG sign that said NO PHOTOS during show. I won't post their name but this was before the show.

So i was able to get some quick shots in of the lotus blossom before I put my phone away. #RiversofLight

CyUEvMQUAAA5Tyr.jpg

CyUEvMPUUAAMaBq.jpg

CyUEvNdUcAAszvf.jpg
OK, we were @ AK on Saturday, the 26th.
Nothing was announced about ROL THEN!
Nothing!

Our APs expired on Thanksgiving, the 24th.
On Nov. 25th, we had the Candlelight Processional Pkg, & planned on buying
a 1-Day Ticket for Epcot.
We decided to buy 2-Day Tickets,
after seeing it was ' only ' $75 to get an additional Park Day.
We had a Dozen Paper Fastpasses for AK,
due to a very serious Tech Problem,
AND planned on visiting AK on Saturday OR Sunday!

We visited on Saturday, the 26th,
unaware that the very next night was the Opening of ROL!!!
We left the Park after Close-/ saw the Tree of Life Show-/
AFTER CLOSE!!!

NO CM announcement about ROL!!!!

We missed the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
BY one night:(
arriving on Nov. 13th,
having moved up our Trip by one Day to enjoy the last Day of Food & Wine,
on the 14th.

I can!t believe we missed BOTH
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
AND ROL!!!!!

We flew home on Monday the 28th( yesterday ).

In addition to the ROL Tech Problems,
WDW endured a Property/wide
shut-down
OF computer system to:

Charge to your room;
Pay with Disney Gift cards;
Etc;

Check/in to your room
( everything had to be processed MANUALLY for Guest Check-in)-/

we were UNable to pay our
Room Balance that night!
BY Disney Gift Card,
EVEN with Cash!
They could NOT POST to Guest!s Room Folios!

This started around 9 pm,
AND lasted beyond 10 pm on Sunday Night!

One BAD PR Night for Disney-/
THIS last Sunday Night!!!!

OK, we were @ AK on Saturday, the 26th.
Nothing was announced about ROL THEN!
Nothing!

Our APs expired on Thanksgiving, the 24th.
On Nov. 25th, we had the Candlelight Processional Pkg, & planned on buying
a 1-Day Ticket for Epcot.
We decided to buy 2-Day Tickets,
after seeing it was ' only ' $75 to get an additional Park Day.
We had a Dozen Paper Fastpasses for AK,
due to a very serious Tech Problem,
AND planned on visiting AK on Saturday OR Sunday!

We visited on Saturday, the 26th,
unaware that the very next night was the Opening of ROL!!!
We left the Park after Close-/ saw the Tree of Life Show-/
AFTER CLOSE!!!

NO CM announcement about ROL!!!!

We missed the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
BY one night:(
arriving on Nov. 13th,
having moved up our Trip by one Day to enjoy the last Day of Food & Wine,
on the 14th.

I can!t believe we missed BOTH
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
AND ROL!!!!!

We flew home on Monday the 28th( yesterday ).

In addition to the ROL Tech Problems,
WDW endured a Property/wide
shut-down
OF computer system to:

Charge to your room;
Pay with Disney Gift cards;
Etc;

Check/in to your room
( everything had to be processed MANUALLY for Guest Check-in)-/

we were UNable to pay our
Room Balance that night!
BY Disney Gift Card,
EVEN with Cash!
They could NOT POST to Guest!s Room Folios!

This started around 9 pm,
AND lasted beyond 10 pm on Sunday Night!

One BAD PR Night for Disney-/
THIS last Sunday Night!!!!
I'm sorry you had so many issues that Sunday night. However, as far as ROL, it was only a cast preview after park close. It was not the opening and we still have no idea when the opening will be.

I'm sorry guys I think we're gonna have to fire Maggie. For months now she's been trying to combine World of Color, PTN, and Main Street Electric parade into Rol. She's even letting her alligator friends run the show eating the lanterns.

Review from a friend last night was basically that the show is fine, nothing special, and certainly not spectacular. But at least it managed to run without any technical issues, I suppose that is something. I've honestly sort of lost interest at this point.

We were at Animal Kingdom on Sunday, and I was chatting with a CM on the Pangani Forest Trail, over by the meerkats. She was saying how the animals had issues with the noise from the Jungle Book show, and the general noise level in the parks in the evenings going up. She said various animal carers had put forward complaints that their animals were showing signs of stress, and the gorillas especially didn't seem to like the noise. If that's true, it really pisses me off.

Review from a friend last night was basically that the show is fine, nothing special, and certainly not spectacular. But at least it managed to run without any technical issues, I suppose that is something. I've honestly sort of lost interest at this point.

We were at Animal Kingdom on Sunday, and I was chatting with a CM on the Pangani Forest Trail, over by the meerkats. She was saying how the animals had issues with the noise from the Jungle Book show, and the general noise level in the parks in the evenings going up. She said various animal carers had put forward complaints that their animals were showing signs of stress, and the gorillas especially didn't seem to like the noise. If that's true, it really pisses me off.

Reviews seem consistent.

This has been concern for me all along. THEY should come first. And it's one reason I have very mixed feelings on the night safari.

When RoL became a thing, with that name … 9 years ago .. there was some talk of a water parade. When RoL 2016 became inoperable … and taking way too long …. DS and I talked about options aside from scrapping it or cutting back the show. I said too bad these floats weren’t built to fit under all the bridges (like the old “river barges” did) so that they truly could have this peaceful floating parade do the rounds on the river. There are enough spots that could be used for viewing along the way, others could be carved out to fit. How beautiful to see these animals, some flower floats, maybe even some “people” floats slowly floating “down river” and maybe at the end just floating in the lagoon. Music pumped at a reasonable level along the water. Why couldn’t it be just a visual peaceful beauty with the Tree projections and some entertainment.

Oh well …………… in too deep now. If this is it, looks like a reduced show to get it online. :sad1:

Mr. Scupper returned for another preview …….. he needs a preview punch card. Fill it up and he gets a Lotus Popcorn Bucket.

OUR REVIEW: Nov-28, Second Preview of RoL . . .

1) There were no boat/float crashes tonight, so there was no stoppage of the show.
2) I took two business couples with us and the consensus of the six of us was:
. . . no discernible story, but a good use of various projections of animals
. . . pretty lights and a great use of color - which we would demand from Disney
. . . nice water fountain effects
. . . mediocre music, but, NO ONE went out humming or singing a tune, like you would expect from a Disney presentation
. . . nice show for free, but wouldn't pay to see it (such as an add-on to a dining package)
. . . an ending that was, "Hmmm. It is over. OK, time to stand up and leave."
. . . No Ta-Da feeling of WE WANT MORE or ENCORE as we walked out.
. . . longest applause we could "clock" was approx 17-seconds and several less than 10-seconds, NOT a good sign
. . . we sat ABOVE the 8th-row, so we had wooden benches and not the concrete benches in the first 8-rows
3) WDW people went around getting folks to sign-up to give an email review - yes we entered our names into the hand-held computers.
4) We heard much of the same comments from the other Cast Members as they left the amphitheater.

NOTE1: We still wanted that "WOW" factor from Disney. One of our guests said, "This is Animal Kingdom, so it should be an AH-factor." OK, it was definitely and "AH" factor, but no where close to a "WOW" factor or anywhere near the build-up it has been given.

NOTE2: This was the second night of the AK Cast Member preview. Tickets were only supposed to be available to AK Cast Members and guests listed on their Main Gate Pass (3-minimum and more if they had more dependents). I had several CM's who "owed me a favor", so I was able to easily scrounge tickets.

NOTE3: Some people think I am blaming Rohde. Yes, I am - or at least holding him responsible for the delays and ill-designed features. He really is in charge. All releases and announcements come from or through him (check several Orlando Sentinel articles, such as on Nov-23), except we did hear public address system welcoming announcements from Djuan (VP of AK). BTW, met him and Djuan Rivers is truly a nice guy!

1) Joe Rohde's title is Executive Designer and Vice President, Creative.
2) He oversees the project and that makes him responsible.
3) The Buck Stops somewhere . . . or, at least, is supposed to.
4) If it doesn't work or is late, it is his job to get it corrected in an appropriate manner and fashion.
5) I have never blamed him for actually designing it incorrectly, just not completing the project.

NOTE: I ran manufacturing plants and companies, and when projects went wrong or we had customer quality problems, it was MY fault, even if some engineer or factory worker made the error. Same applies here. But, the problem is that Disney never holds anyone responsible or accountable. If things are wrong or late, they give it to the PR Department and have them make some excuse.

Just so everyone is aware the show shown to CMs was not complete, there are fire affects that are still coming and the ending has some aspects still being worked on.

That's really interesting since its been said they have been working with noise levels and the animals for well over a year before this show was supposed to debut.

Are we really looking at September 2017 before this opens to the public?
Where did you hear that?

Right now this could open next week, next month, or in 6 months. CM previews were a good sign that we are closer than farther but it still has somethings that are going to be worked on.

Totally agree !!

just got back home from Candlelight (NPH was awesome by the way) so not sure if this has been posted
2 more CM previews of RoL are scheduled for Dec. 5th and 6th at 8:30pm

Do you know if these are being offered to CMs outside of AK?

And I kinda wonder ... why? What are they hoping to gain?

If this is it ..... why not just rip the band-aid and open it?

Are CMs filling out any kind of survey after?

Is there potential to change based on responses?

Do you know if these are being offered to CMs outside of AK?

And I kinda wonder ... why? What are they hoping to gain?

If this is it ..... why not just rip the band-aid and open it?

Are CMs filling out any kind of survey after?

Is there potential to change based on responses?
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Cast, Operating Participants and vendors within the park.
Not sure what they hope to gain, it's not like having a full theater will change the operations of the show, like having full boats did for FEA
I think the team behind of RoL is pretty much terrified at this point.
Not sure if CM filled out surveys
I doubt that we will see many changes based on feedback.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Cast, Operating Participants and vendors within the park.
Not sure what they hope to gain, it's not like having a full theater will change the operations of the show, like having full boats did for FEA
I think the team behind of RoL is pretty much terrified at this point.
Not sure if CM filled out surveys
I doubt that we will see many changes based on feedback.

Well based on the reviews I can understand why.
It seems even those who praised it felt it was unfinished.
And I gotta say missing major components that we expected, stinks, as they were big ones.

SO we have a theater with 5000 seats, had 2 shows where they could bring a guest so basically should have been 5000 CMs ... does AK have that many? I find it interesting they aren't opening this to other Parks CMs .... maybe they will just do 2 previews every couple weeks until all of them have seen it. :D

Well based on the reviews I can understand why.
It seems even those who praised it felt it was unfinished.
And I gotta say missing major components that we expected, stinks, as they were big ones.

SO we have a theater with 5000 seats, had 2 shows where they could bring a guest so basically should have been 5000 CMs ... does AK have that many? I find it interesting they aren't opening this to other Parks CMs .... maybe they will just do 2 previews every couple weeks until all of them have seen it. :D
CM can bring up to the number of dependents on their main entrance pass or up to 6 people. Have the reports said anything about the theater being full? I haven't paid attention

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter