Rumor has it.... discounts through March 7th

I'm hoping for decent room discounts. SPD would be OK. Straight free dining is a waste for us so hoping that isn't the only offer!

What have been the room only discounts historically for the moderates when released? Looking at the cabins at fort wilderness. Thanks!

I'm hoping for decent room discounts. SPD would be OK. Straight free dining is a waste for us so hoping that isn't the only offer!
FYI - SPD in the past is just roughly a 40-55% discount on dining so Free Dining is actually better deal than SPD for everybody.

Last edited:

FYI - SPD in the past is just roughly a 40-55% discount on dining so Free Dining is actually better deal than SPD for everybody.

The only way I'd take a dining plan is if it was free, but it isn't really a deal when you have kids that won't eat anything. We rarely eat in the parks. Room discounts and package deals are pretty much the only deals for us.

The only way I'd take a dining plan is if it was free, but it isn't really a deal when you have kids that won't eat anything. We rarely eat in the parks. Room discounts and package deals are pretty much the only deals for us.
Your earlier comment said SPD would be ok but straight free dining is a waste. Now you said the only way you'd take a dining plan is if it was free. Your comments are really confusing. But just to reiterate: SPD in its historical format is WORSE than Free Dining for anybody and everybody. SPD requires you to get the dining plan and partially pay for it and pay full price for the room too.

Obviously in your situation it sounds like you want a Room Only discount which probably will be offered.

Sorry! Free dining would be a perk, I guess, but wouldn't actually save us anything, so relative to a room only discount or a stay and play package, it's pretty meaningless.

Sorry! Free dining would be a perk, I guess, but wouldn't actually save us anything, so relative to a room only discount or a stay and play package, it's pretty meaningless.
OK - well just know that if Free Dining won't save you anything then SPD will likely cost you more. SPD is probably not the deal for you guys.

BWI at 40% off. hahahaha :rotfl::rotfl:

I like to dream big. ;);)

It will probably more like 25% off. :cool::cool:

Maybe I should just look into a cruise and save a couple grand?

Me too! BWI CL is our first choice and I'd love at least 30%. For the 2015 Marathon Weekend, I wanted to stay at BWI, but no rooms were available with a discount so we ended up at Poly. Same for Princess Half Marathon this year. I love Poly, too, but would really prefer BWI for marathon weekend.

So suppose it is a SPD discount OR a room only discount....how do I determine which is the better cost savings? We have a package at Riverside for 7 nights (2 adults and an 11 year old who is now considered an adult....so I guess 3 adults). We did not add dining to our package, but we are eating at several disney restaurants.

So suppose it is a SPD discount OR a room only discount....how do I determine which is the better cost savings? We have a package at Riverside for 7 nights (2 adults and an 11 year old who is now considered an adult....so I guess 3 adults). We did not add dining to our package, but we are eating at several disney restaurants.
You would have to have some estimate of how much you expect to spend on dining in total without the dining plan vs how much (if anything as it may be $0) you'd spend on dining with the discounted dining plan outside of what the plan covers.

Once you know that then take
1) the sum of your discounted room only cost plus tickets cost plus expected dining cost
VS.
2) the sum of your SPD package cost plus any The dining expenses you expect to have that aren't covered by the dining plan

Obviously to do any of this you have to have the discounts released and see the actual costs of each (room only and SPD package)

The formula I've seen used for SPD discount is 40-50% off the dining plan depending on how many people you have going along w/ a very small percentage off your room.

You would have to have some estimate of how much you expect to spend on dining in total without the dining plan vs how much (if anything as it may be $0) you'd spend on dining with the discounted dining plan outside of what the plan covers.

Once you know that then take
1) the sum of your discounted room only cost plus tickets cost plus expected dining cost
VS.
2) the sum of your SPD package cost plus any The dining expenses you expect to have that aren't covered by the dining plan

Obviously to do any of this you have to have the discounts released and see the actual costs of each (room only and SPD package)

I agree the "expected dining cost" in #1 is really important! If we just run numbers based on room only and the cost of the dining plan with SPD for our family, we don't have an accurate comparison. Our youngest and middle sons (almost 10-year-old and teen) often order kids' meals, we hardly ever eat dessert during a meal, and I very rarely order an entree (usually an appetizer or salad.) And if we're on the dining plan, I'm always trying to book ADRs that make it a better value - not necessarily the restaurants that are our top choices. Example: Could book Tusker House lunch to make dining plan a good deal, but in reality we'd rather grab something quick at Flame Tree or make a Tiffins ADR and order a salad and a kids' meal for our youngest. So I try to calculate what we'd really eat and where we'd really eat without the dining plan to estimate the expected dining cost.

I also want a room and tickets package! Would be great! We don't do the dining plan for a bunch of reasons:

1) We need to eat a lot of meals for the plan to make sense, but we are already paying for park tickets! Eating at restaurants take time away from park time. It feels like we are paying double in a way!
2) We have Disney Dollars built up from our Disney Visa, so we use that to pay for our meals.
3) In the past, in order to get "free" dining, we had to give up our AAA room discount (which was 40%). I was bummed to find out that they stopped offering that AAA discount! It was year-round and we didn't have to wait and wonder if we could get it, like we are doing now!

So - room discount or room/ticket package. PLEASE!!!!!!

Our check in is March 7th. Someone mentioned that if free dining is offered and ends on March 7th that we could still have it for the length of our stay (if i read that correctly). Is that the same for a package? Hoping that we don't miss a good discount by a week!

Edited because I think I read the post and yes, it appears we can apply a discount to our whole stay regardless if it's free dining or a SPD discount. Can someone confirm this? Thanks! :earsboy:

Our check in is March 7th. Someone mentioned that if free dining is offered and ends on March 7th that we could still have it for the length of our stay (if i read that correctly). Is that the same for a package? Hoping that we don't miss a good discount by a week!

Edited because I think I read the post and yes, it appears we can apply a discount to our whole stay regardless if it's free dining or a SPD discount. Can someone confirm this? Thanks! :earsboy:
Yes - Package deals (Free Dining/SPD) have always historically worked for your entire stay based on check-in date.

I wish you well on your free dining quest (and I myself would love that too) BUT - I would be HIGHLY shocked if they offer free dining considering that they haven't offered it during this time period since 2012. In 2013 they introduced Stay, Play & Dine. They subsequently renamed it in 2014 to Play, Stay & Dine but most of us continued to use the SPD acronym since then. This style of deal has been offered in '13, '14, 15 & '16.

We're interested in POFQ too, but heard (from a TA) they are usually excluded from discounts. Does anyone here know this to be the case? :)

So excited :hyper: We are currently booked 3/10-3/19 at AKV value studio, but if a discount made other rooms cheaper or a 1 bedroom about the same I'd change in an instant. If room only extends further into March I'll gladly take it! Hoping for 25-30% off, but would be happy with anything.
I would love it if all Disney Visa holders got a 1 week deluxe resort trip with dining and 7 day park hoppers for $2000:earseek: a girl can dream right.?. throw in free airfare too I guess :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter