Ringling Brothers Circus to Close

He worked with the elephants

Had a team of 3 assigned to him

Trained and took care of them

He was so attached to one of them, he slept near her when she was not well

He left because he disagreed with management in the care for his elephants

Our family spent a lot of time while growing up, to go to zoos
Of couse we always went to see the elephants first and repeated that before leaving the zoos

He worked with Robbins Bros Circus first then on to ringling
Both with elephants

You know how a dad will buy his newborn baby a gift...

Mine was a stuffed animal, elephant
Lol

A little OT but I just finished a book called the "Elephant Keeper", by Christopher Nicholson. It takes place in the 1700's and has nothing to do with a circus but it is about a boy who takes care of an elephant for most of his life, even into adulthood. Gave up love and family to care for this elephant. It was a very touching story and I really enjoyed the book. Your dad might like it. He would appreciate the bond between the boy and elephant.

MJ

I was about to suggest the non profit Big Apple Circus and found this on their site.

http://www.bigapplecircus.org/

New York, NY – January 13, 2017 —The Big Apple Circus, a New York and national cultural treasure for four decades, is soliciting bids for the sale of all or substantially all of its assets pursuant to bidding procedures approved by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. The assets include all of the Circus’ performance equipment and intellectual property, . . .

:sad1:

Don't worry. There are still plenty of sleazy traveling carnival troupes around.:D

sideshow.jpg
0430435495_10281867_8col.jpg
100_2439.JPG
That is great news because I've been pretty much counting on a career transition to "Weird Woman" as my third-act...;)

I hope the Circ shows in Vegas are the next to go
:thumbsup2 Totally. Although I thought I was the only person on earth that doesn't like Cirq...and if you think it's terrible, you should see Cavalia. It's Cirq on horses - as if it could get any worse. :sad2:

That is great news because I've been pretty much counting on a career transition to "Weird Woman" as my third-act...;)

:thumbsup2 Totally. Although I thought I was the only person on earth that doesn't like Cirq...and if you think it's terrible, you should see Cavalia. It's Cirq on horses - as if it could get any worse. :sad2:

I went and seen the water one at Belaaggio, I swear I tried so hard to like it, but I couldnt do it, they had clowns walking around and the audience doing dumb stuff, not even a bit funny, and people were laughing so hard, I wanted to go hit them. I was finally able to go to sleep and when I woke up I left

I went and seen the water one at Belaaggio, I swear I tried so hard to like it, but I couldnt do it, they had clowns walking around and the audience doing dumb stuff, not even a bit funny, and people were laughing so hard, I wanted to go hit them. I was finally able to go to sleep and when I woke up I left
Again, TOTALLY!! I was taken to that one while at a convention in Vegas (which I hate enough as it is). The host bought what should have been these really great seats; 2nd row just right of centre. I was completely lost trying to follow everything going on, not to mention my neck hurt. Couldn't make any sense of most of it. :confused: It might have been brilliant on some level; I'm just waaaay to concrete and linear in my thinking to get it. Now, that jousting show over at the Excaliber - that's entertainment!! :thumbsup2

4 films set in the circus:
Dumbo
The Greatest Show On Earth
Billy Rose's Jumbo
Toby Tyler

Can you think of any others?

Last edited:
Tickets here are cheap, $20 for the worst seats, but there are always promotions. I think I've seen them for $10!

Ticket prices have had to come way down to get a crowd. It just isn't profitable any more.

I think all the publicity, deserved or not, about how poorly the animals were being treated caused a lot of people to stop going.

I took my children to the circus and to Sea World when they were young. The social conscience I, and they, have developed wouldn't let us go to either now. I'm sorry that it wasn't something that I thought more about years ago.

I've tried to like Cirque shows but I always feel bored and ripped off that I paid so much for boredom (and a stiff neck.)

Last edited:
I took my children to the circus and to Sea World when they were young. The social conscience I, and they, have developed wouldn't let us go to either now. I'm sorry that it wasn't something that

As a side note one of the SeaWorld's stopped doing killer whale shows.

As a side note one of the SeaWorld's stopped doing killer whale shows.

They're still going to do a show. They claim it will be less theatrical and more educational. They'll have start times, seating, and everything.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/sd-me-shamu-show-20170106-story.html

When I heard they were stopping the shows, I thought maybe it would be like what they do at Siegfried and Roy's Secret Garden and Dolphin habitat. The dolphins aren't in any kind of scripted setting, although they're constantly being trained to do certain supposedly natural activities such as jumping. There are no hoops and no theatrics.

I love the whole circus culture/mythology thing but I hadn't actually ATTENDED the circus since Johnson (Lyndon, for all you smart alecks) was president. My Dad took me.

I have a lot of friends that have worked for or trained with the Ringling company that are utterly devastated at this news. A lot of very talented performers will be out of work. I feel very sorry for all of them. It makes me sad to see people celebrating this. Having opinions on animal treatment is one thing, being glad about people losing jobs they worked and trained their whole lives for is something else. I get feeling relieved for the animals, but a little compassion for the humans would be nice.

4 films set in the circus:
Dumbo
The Greatest Show On Earth
Billy Rose's Jumbo
Toby Tyler

Can you think of any others?

Big Top Pee Wee
Octopussy
Moscow on the Hudson
A Bug's Life

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter