Review - Disney Girl’s Perfectly Princess Tea Party

dixonsontour

DIS Veteran
This isn’t one of the well known character meals and when I was looking to make reservations, reviews were hard to find.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

I took my daughter Anna on Friday 29th October 2010. The tea party takes place several times a week at the Garden View tea room at the Grand Floridian from 10.30 am – 12pm.

Reservations open 180 days out and must be made by telephone, not online. I reserved about 160 days out.

When I phoned, the cm tried to tell me nothing available. I couldn’t believe it was fully booked for the whole 14 days of our trip and asked her to try again – I don’t think she was familiar with it. Well she did and it was available.

Payment is made at time of booking. The cost was $250 for one adult and one child plus tax but including gratuity. I believe an extra child or adult can be added for extra cost. The event is very much geared up as a mom and daughter event.

IMG_0992.JPG

I actually ended up moving our reservation from the Thursday to the Friday. My daughter wasn’t 100% and I wanted her to be for this. The cm on the phone was able to do this the evening before we were due to attend.

Due to the cost I’d thought alot about attending this event. My DD was age 4.9 years on this trip. But she is mature for her age and very tall (47 inches) – people often think she is 6. She loves dressing up and princess things and I don’t know when our next trip will be or how long this stage will last. I was worried if I left it a couple of years she would miss the magic of it. She started full time school the month before so this was also a treat to recognise how well she has done. With hindsight I think she was the perfect age for her to go.

As you will see from the pictures Anna was born without her left arm below her elbow. Alot of our Mom and daughter time is taken up with hospital and therapy appointments. I wanted to do something special on this trip that we or at least I would always remember.

My DD was so excited to attend this tea party. I’d bought her a dress to wear at the party before we left England, shown her clips on youtube and in the months leading up to we had talked alot about it. Did it live up to the hype? We both really enjoyed the tea party and it was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

We got to the garden view tea room at 10.15am or so and checked in at the podium. We were not on the list! There was a spot but they wanted me to pay. The confusion was soon sorted out and a female manger came to see me to assure me we were paid in full.

DD was given a card saying princess Anna and all the moms and princesses stood waiting to be called.

My DH was able to stand next to the rope and video DD getting crowned and going in to the tea party and see her in the parade after. He ate breakfast at the GF cafe – steak and eggs much more his sort of thing.

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Rosepetal introduced herself and called each girl in turn. She called Princess Anna and placed a crown on her head and another lady sprinked her with fresh rose petals.

There were 8 girls altogether. Most were in mom/daughter pairs. The table next to me had two sisters with their mom and grandma. One table had 3 adults including the only Dad, a daughter and two young boys. The boys did get a little impatient sitting and didn’t join in any of the activities. They were given bears not dolls.

We were taken to our table overlooking the garden. The chair was pulled out for DD and a doll was sitting there. She was hesitant to sit and afterwards she said to me but the doll was sitting there.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

I’d brought two clips to hold the crown in place and was so glad I did. They were just the pink mickey clips you get in any gift shop but were perfect. Only a couple of the girl’s crowns stayed on. The crown was a pretty beaded circlet with ribbons tied to it but it had no combs.

About half the girls were dressed in princess dresses, a mix of princesses – I think they were all someone different. Only one girl had been to BBB before the party.

Anna loved the doll and was in awe of the whole thing. Fresh flowers were on the table, pink napkins, a little card saying Princess Anna of the Hollyhocks.
We were introduced to Baron Branch the pianist. He came to the table shortly after and spoke to DD and signed her autograph book.

IMG_1035.JPG

Rose petal then told her story about who she was. The gist was she was a Rose who had been magically turned human.

IMG_1027.JPG

The girls were told to put their napkins on their lap and a bracelet was folded into the napkin which surprised my DD. It was just a play quality bracelet – silver coloured with a plastic pink heart but DD wanted it put on straightaway.

We were brought tea. I was given a pot, cup and tea strainer. I was poured a cup and then the pot was put under a tea cosy. It was served without milk or lemon – i’ve never had tea without milk but it was very pleasant and hot – can’t stand lukewarm tea. I didn’t think to ask what blend it was.
DD was delighted with her apple juice in a tea pot.

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

Rose petal asked some princess questions and the older girls hands shot up. The two girls at the table next to us were maybe 8 and 9 and very enthusiastic. They were also very sweet to my DD telling her she had the prettiest dress (they were in park clothes-too old for dress up I guess)
I also remember having to put our hands up if we were in love and rose petal said she was in love with a purple tulip.

Food was served to us plated up. Anna got a plate with 3 heart shaped jelly sandwiches, 2 turkey and cheese on brown bread and some fruit. I had asked for no peanut butter when I booked – I think they should have been peanut butter and jelly. She ate half a sandwich – far too enthralled by what was going on!

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

On my plate there was a coronation chicken sandwich, salmon and cream cheese sandwich and egg sandwich. There were some crackers and cheese with herbs, a tartlet with stilton and some grapes and fruit. I enjoyed this and ate it all but it definitely would not suit a pickier eater. The food was obviously pre plated some time in advance – one cracker was soft from sitting on the cheese but the food did taste fresh.

Rose petal sang and told the story of Sleeping beauty with actions for the girls to copy. At one point she had them cradling their dolls. All the girls I could see joined in enthralled. Rosepetal did come around the room several times whilst she was singing, involving all the girls.

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

Rose petal asked about birthdays, 3 girls raised their hands and said their name and age and were wished happy birthday. There was a 5 yr old and two 7 year olds.

The cake we had seen at the entrance to the room was held up then taken to be cut and served to us with cream, a strawberry and strawberry coulis. The cake was lovely – really fresh sponge with strawberry filling. DD had one bite I fed her – too busy to eat!

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

One lovely little girl, who had a make a wish button, was chosen to help Rosepetal teach us some sign language – hail to the king, hail to the queen, hail to the princess Aurora! I keep hearing my DD singing this.

Rosepetal had all the girls come up and stand with her then Aurora arrived. The girls followed her around the room in a parade – waving and holding their dresses.

IMG_1076.JPG

The girls were then told to wait in their seats to see Aurora.

Just before Aurora came her Page spoke to DD then handed Aurora a fresh pink rose to give DD. It had a lovely scent. She spent a few minutes with each girl, posed for photos and signed autographs.

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

Aurora left after seeing each girl. She was probably there 15-20 minutes of the party.

Rosepetal came to each table and signed autographs – she asked for song requests and Baron Branch played mine from The Little Mermaid – kiss the girl which DD was excited about.

IMG_1107.JPG

At the end they announced a parade through the lobby then up the main staircase of the Grand Floridian.

Take a bag as you now have an autograph book, camera, doll, doll’s wand and DD’s crown, place cards etc. I removed the doll’s shoes so Anna didn’t lose them carrying the doll.

Rosepetal hugged each girl goodbye at the door.

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

An employee from GF then lead all the girls around foyer with parents following like paparazzi taking pictures! My DH and a few other dads joined in.

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

The girls went up main staircase and had a photopass photo taken and a group photo. I was able to get these added to my photopass card at the photopass desk next to the gift shop after the party – I’d already prepaid the photopass cd for this trip.

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

The parade then went into the gift shop where each girl waited in line at a small desk. Another cm asked them the doll’s name and wrote a birth certificate. DD’s doll is called Rosie Sunshine.

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

They do sell clothes for the doll but they were further back – they weren’t so tacky to put them on the desk. The clothes cost $24.95-29.95 each. They also sell them at the toy store at DTD.

And that was the end of the party!

I’m glad we did it, I got some beautiful photos of DD and I will always remember it. I had a tear in my eye going in – I thought back to the day she was born and how worried we were about her and how far we have come.

I’d recommend it best for age 5-7. This seemed to be the main age of girls at the party. They need to be able to sit and listen for 1 hour and follow direction.

The older girls enjoyed it but for the younger ones you could see how magical it was. DD truely believes she had tea with a Rose who was magically turned into a human and the real sleeping beauty.

IMG_1082.JPG

Thanks for posting a great review and pictures. Your daughter is lovely. :cutie: I'm sure it will be a wonderful memory for both of you.

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful pics and what a gorgeous daughter you have.

Great review and your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! She looks like she had a wonderful time. :)

What a great review! Love all the pics!! Your DD is absolutely beautiful and I love the dress you bought for her. Glad you had a nice time!!!

I’d recommend it best for age 5-7. This seemed to be the main age of girls at the party. They need to be able to sit and listen for 1 hour and follow direction.

The older girls enjoyed it but for the younger ones you could see how magical it was. DD truely believes she had tea with a Rose who was magically turned into a human and the real sleeping beauty.

It looks like it was definitely worth the price of admission and your little girl is beautiful. I'm glad to see the age range you posted b/c I've been debating about this one for our girls. DD2 is too young, but DD4 (younger 4) is also probably too young at this stage as well. You're so right about the younger ones really seeing the magic- i.e. thinking that's the real Sleeping Beauty and Rose being turned human. My girls firmly believe that Cinderella resides in the castle and that Mickey lives on Toon Town. Thanks for posting the review- this is the first review for this I've seen! :thumbsup2

Wow great review thanks for sharing I might add this on for dd birthday ! We usually go for afternoon tea at the gf when we stay here, the tea room is so bright and I have seen the party take place!

Your dd looked as though she had a great tine :)

I had tears in my eyes reading your revew, looked like a fantastic experience you will both always remember:)

Only wish my daughter wasnt too old for things like that now !

Thanks you so much for the reveiw! I am seriously considering doing this with my DD in March.
Are you doing a Trip report? If so, I would love to read it.

What a lovely review, and your daughter is gorgeous!
I'm not planning to go any time soon, but when I do have children, I would be booking this in an instant!
Thank you for sharing :goodvibes
xxx

That was a beautiful review! I really wanted to get a full rundown wth pictures of the tea party. It was something I never did with my now 8 year old daughter and I know that the window of 'magical have wondered whether I missed something really special. Looks like I did.

Your photos are gorgeous. :thumbsup2 Where did you get your daughter's dress? It is so beautiful!

I love that they took a photo on the staircase of all the girls together - sort of like a Class Of .... picture :laughing: but it's always nice to look back and see who was there with you, even if you didn't know the people.

That last picture of your daughter is absolutely beautiful (last pic in your first post). She is also just too darling holding her doll in her arms :lovestruc I must say, I never expected the doll to be such a lovely one. I really had something Barbie style in my mind.

Aw, I really wish I had done it for DD now.

Thank you so much for the review. :goodvibes

Thanks for posting this review. I have booked this for my dd (who will be 8 in a couple of weeks) and myself. She really wanted to try this but wasn't sure if she would be the only one not wearing a princess dress. She thinks the princess dresses are pretty but too itchy to wear.

You have a beautiful daughter and Thank-you for posting such a wonderful review! I sure this is somthing that will forever be in her heart. I have a 6 yr old, and now I think I may have to look into the Tea Party. Also your pictures are stunning.

What a superb review :goodvibes
You have captured the whole occasion with some lovely photos
Anna will look back on these photos in years to come, and remember what a great time she had.
I only wish that this was available when DD was younger.
Looks much better than the Princess meals at the castle
Thanks for sharing

Some great photos in there - a very good review for anyone thinking of going. My DD did this a few years back and had a great time with her Dad. I let him go as with work and everything it seemed more special somehow for him to attend (and take all the pictures of course). :goodvibes

What a great time you and your daughter had! Thanks for the review and all of the pictures. I will definitely look into this for my 7 year old daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter