READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you immediately add the two who were recognized and then have the blue umbrella assign your 3rd to the same group? We're a party of 8 next week and want to have the best plan of what to do in case someone isn't recognized.

Thanks for the data point!

Just to add that there have been other reports of people being able to add the rest of their party (as long as everyone was physically there, just the system didn't recognize them as in the park)

So as soon as any members of your party can join a group just do it and then get rest added

I was trying to pass it forward/reassign to friends and family members as soon as we got them, so my son could bring a friend one day, but I don’t see a way to do it. It has our names on them and isn’t letting me reassign ☹
You probably already know this, but to reassign a ticket you must be logged in to the MDE account of the current owner of the ticket. (You can give tickets away, but you can’t take them back. They must be given back to you by the the new, most current owner.)

Previously, these 1-day comp tickets have been reassign-able. Not sure if Disney changed that in the past two weeks. Is it possible you and other members of your family/traveling party have separate MDE accounts?

Someone on Reddit said they tapped in, left HS and headed towards the boardwalk to avoid congestion on cell phone/WiFi. Would this work?

Someone on Reddit said they tapped in, left HS and headed towards the boardwalk to avoid congestion on cell phone/WiFi. Would this work?

Yes, there have been a few reports of people doing as such. It will work. While everyone wanting to join a BG needs to physically tap in / enter with your park admission that morning, joining a BG when it later goes live does not require physical presence inside the park at that point.

Has anyone done rider switch with RotR? We will be a party of 7 adults and one infant. Best scenario would be to have 4 of the adults ride while the other 3 waited and then have the 3 get to ride without having to go through the entire queue. Will they allow this? Or will both groups need to wait in the regular line? I know how it normally works on other rides. Just not sure if RotR is being handled differently.
Yes, we did rider switch. Got a BG for me, wife, and son. I rode with my son, they gave my wife & son a rider switch FP, and then the two of them rode. She stayed with our 2-year old, and then rode the ride with my son when we were finished.

I believe the regular rider switch rules apply, meaning some in your party could actually ride twice (like my son). You might consider that... So 6 of you could ride, then the 1 who waited could take 2 more a second time.

My son and I waited in the regular line, snaking through a few rooms.

My wife and son went through the FP line, and straight to the "merge point" of the lines. So they had basically no wait.

ETA Important note: Every person needs a BG. My wife needed a BG to get through the first line of defense, then we proceeded to some CMs inside the ropes to get the rider switch. Had she not had a BG, she couldn't have done the rider switch. This is a little different than how rider switch usually works, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Article is too quick to call what happened yesterday a trend. Today BGs lasted an hour (at least the backup BGs). The trend that should be tracked is ride performance.

It is really the regular BGs going so fast that is alarming and a bit of a concern. For quite a while those were lasting 20-30 mins meaning if you got there by park opening in all likelihood hood you got one. Now, with them gone within 2-3 mins if you have even a slight IT glitch you will only have access to backup groups with don't come with any guarantee

Article is too quick to call what happened yesterday a trend. Today BGs lasted an hour, so the “trend” has already been broken.

The article is not talking about backup boarding groups (which they try to make clear), they are talking about regular boarding group performance over the last 3 days, which saw regular BG distribution completed in about 5 minutes (Thursday) and 1-2 minutes (Friday and today).

While this all may just be a blip on the radar due to current holiday crowds, it is certainly a relevant observation of a trend that is highly impacting those there right now.

The article is not talking about backup boarding groups (which they try to make clear), they are talking about regular boarding group performance over the last 3 days, which saw regular BG distribution completed in about 5 minutes (Thursday) and 1-2 minutes (Friday and today).

While this all may just be a blip on the radar due to current holiday crowds, it is certainly a relevant observation of a trend that is highly impacting those there right now.

I do think the combination of lingering holiday crowds and some of the Passholder blackouts now lifted is impacting things ... will be interesting how Monday shakes out as that might be more typical (but I think word is out so people know to show up a bit prior to park opening and are all trying to access at same time so while it might not be as bad I expect something not *that* different)

So 6 of you could ride, then the 1 who waited could take 2 more a second time.
As for how to choose the 2 lucky ones, maybe you could make everybody wake up at 3AM, take an Uber to a random location where thousands of others happen to be jostling for position, then have them all sign into a special website to enter a random lottery. Because that's how we're making decisions these days.

Sorry, waiting to depart at MCO after 9 nights at WDW, and I'm not feeling the magic right now. Usually I can't wait to come back, but at the moment I'm not sure.

We really are not going to know if this is a trend until the big holiday crowds are gone. Will be curious to see what happens over the next few days as kids go back to school and crowds thin out some. I know marathon weekend is next weekend, but having been to multiple of those weekends, the crowds are not near as bad as they are around the holidays. My guess is that this will be a trend for only the busiest times.

I know marathon weekend is next weekend, but having been to multiple of those weekends, the crowds are not near as bad as they are around the holidays. My guess is that this will be a trend for only the busiest times.

Especially early morning crowds. 5K (and maybe 10k for fast runners) aside, the timing of the races won’t allow for runners to be at the park at RD, so that eliminates a large chunk of people who will be there for the weekend.

We are back from our trip, thank you for all of the advice. We arrived at HS 5:15a.m on Saturday Dec 28th. We got to the turnstiles and my daughters magic band was not working they told us we would have to go to guest relations... this was a nightmare. We were stuck in a sea of people, I felt like a salmon trying to swim upstream. I was extremely polite and apologetic trying to make me way through the crowd but people are cranky that early in the morning! There were about 30 people ahead of us at GR everyone was antsy. The computers went down. They came around giving us paper tickets for RotR assuring us we would get a boarding group. At 6:18am we were through GR and on to BG 45. We were called and went over to the ride at 9:51am we made it to the holding room and the ride broke down. They asked us to put our phones and cameras away and took us through a service hallway. They put the RotR FP on our bands and told us we could come back later when the ride was back up. On the APP it also gave us the option for FP for another ride including Smugglers Run. We returned back at about 2:00pm and the ride was down again. we waited about 45 minutes and then we got on. There was a bit of a glitch when we were in the ride vehicle the door kept going up and down, it happened about 12 times I was afraid we were going to get kicked out again but it worked! We went back on Monday Dec 30th parked at 6:15am again no problems with the bands thankfully. We headed towards ToT we found a spot with a good signal I have the iphone 8+ and was on AT&T and daughter has the iphone XR and was on wifi both of us did a hard shut down before logging on. She beat me getting through and we got boarding group 37. Our group was called at around 7:50am. we were on TS Mania and they would not allow us to get into GE through TS land so we had to make our way around by the time we got to RotR the rid was shut down again. They asked us to start forming a line against the wall and kept coming over saying that we could come back later if we wanted. It took almost an hour for the ride to go back up. We had a successful ride!

We are back from our trip, thank you for all of the advice. We arrived at HS 5:15a.m on Saturday Dec 28th. We got to the turnstiles and my daughters magic band was not working they told us we would have to go to guest relations... this was a nightmare. We were stuck in a sea of people, I felt like a salmon trying to swim upstream. I was extremely polite and apologetic trying to make me way through the crowd but people are cranky that early in the morning! There were about 30 people ahead of us at GR everyone was antsy. The computers went down. They came around giving us paper tickets for RotR assuring us we would get a boarding group. At 6:18am we were through GR and on to BG 45. We were called and went over to the ride at 9:51am we made it to the holding room and the ride broke down. They asked us to put our phones and cameras away and took us through a service hallway. They put the RotR FP on our bands and told us we could come back later when the ride was back up. On the APP it also gave us the option for FP for another ride including Smugglers Run. We returned back at about 2:00pm and the ride was down again. we waited about 45 minutes and then we got on. There was a bit of a glitch when we were in the ride vehicle the door kept going up and down, it happened about 12 times I was afraid we were going to get kicked out again but it worked! We went back on Monday Dec 30th parked at 6:15am again no problems with the bands thankfully. We headed towards ToT we found a spot with a good signal I have the iphone 8+ and was on AT&T and daughter has the iphone XR and was on wifi both of us did a hard shut down before logging on. She beat me getting through and we got boarding group 37. Our group was called at around 7:50am. we were on TS Mania and they would not allow us to get into GE through TS land so we had to make our way around by the time we got to RotR the rid was shut down again. They asked us to start forming a line against the wall and kept coming over saying that we could come back later if we wanted. It took almost an hour for the ride to go back up. We had a successful ride!
They do make you work for it, don't they.

what do you propose they do instead? Make less popular attractions, lol?
There is no other way to get around this madness? It ruins the rope drop experience for the entire park, not just that one "popular" ride. Perhaps they could release 20 BG at the top of each hour, which may spread out the crowds. Yes, people would initially be trying for fewer BG, which would be frustrating. However, once the word gets out, not everyone will feel the need to be there at park opening if they have another chance at 8 or 9 or so on. This may help people without park hoppers who are tied to that park have additional opportunities to snag it if they miss the first round(s). It may also allow people to choose a time to try to get a BG more in line with their other plans, FP, ADRs and such. The BG would still run out of course and not everyone would get a chance, but it might spread out the crowds more and take the stress off the IT system. Of course, it should go without saying, but my personal opinion and based on my own experiences.

DateScheduled Park OpenActual Park OpenBG OpenTime BGs Full# of BGsBackup BG CloseBGs ReachedNotes
5-Dec9:00AM5:30AMRoughly 5:30AM8:30AM158127
6-Dec9:00AM6:09AMRoughly 6:00AM8:15AM9191
7-Dec9:00AM6:36AM6:36AM8:50AM12087Ride closed early
8-DecEMH 6-8:00AM6:05AM7:18AM7:56AM11590sChange to one boarding group per day
9-Dec8:00AM6:27AM6:27AM8:30AM115115
10-Dec8:00AM6:30AM6:30AM8:40AM11582
11-Dec8:00AM6:30AM6:30AM7:55AM90?81
12-Dec7:00AM6:35AM6:35AM7:20AM9191
13-Dec7:00AM6:40AM6:40AM7:59AM108108
14-Dec7:00AM6:18AM6:18AM7:44AM110110
15-Dec7:00AM6:20AM6:20AM7:25AM123123
16-Dec7:00AM6:25AM6:25AM7:35AM12011:22AM120Back up BG's added
17-Dec7:00AM6:42AM6:42AM7:43AM1068:41AM122Back up BG's reached
18-Dec7:00AM6:32AM7:00AM7:35AM1059:01AM126BG's released at park open
19-Dec7:00AM6:40AM7:00AM8:15AM10511:00AM144
20-Dec7:00AM6:40AM7:00AM7:45AM10411:00AM176
21-Dec7:00AM6:32AM7:00AM7:35AM1168:55AM129Delayed opening (9:30AMish)
22-Dec7:00AM6:23AM7:00AM7:16AM1029:20AM166
23-Dec7:00AM6:33AM7:00AM7:35AM1259:26AM192
24-Dec7:00AM6:31AM7:00AM7:28AM1219:17AM152
25-Dec7:00AM6:31AM7:00AM8:30AM11812:02PM165
26-Dec6:00AM5:42AM6:00AM6:30AM908:16AM136Mass issues with the park open
27-Dec6:00AM5:30AM6:00AM6:15AM1067:00AM109Finger prints not used at open
28-Dec6:00AM5:33AM6:00AM6:20AM1119:15AM142No finger prints
29-Dec6:00AM5:33AM6:00AM6:09AM1137:44AM193
30-Dec6:00AM5:35AM6:00AM6:17AM1197:38AM179No finger prints
31-Dec6:00AM5:34AM6:00AM7:17AM12911:19AM222
1-Jan7:00AM6:30AM7:00AM7:20AM1129:32AM152
2-Jan7:00AM6:30AM7:00AM7:03AM1277:35AM167
3-Jan7:00AM6:30AM7:00AM7:01AM1257:05AM94
4-Jan7:00AM6:10AM7:00AM7:02AM1288:00AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter