Random Thread & The Title Foretold by The Prophecy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it. Although it is Wikipedia...

Seriously in Chowder, everyone was sprayed with orange soda in an attempt to get people to take their hands off a mixer (last one with their hands on the mixer wins it). They didn't reference Kenan & Kel at all...

Hmmm Argentina is beating Nigeria 1-0 in the 75th minute. Sounds boring lol

I'm gonna have to choose the studies I want to learn for Psychology...

Polite__by_Slinkers.jpg

Argentina won 1-0 over Nigeria. How exciting of a game that was.

Some study done by some guy I don't remember looked at a self-fulfilling prophecy, where a teacher's expectation of a student causes the expectation to come true. The study was done in New Zealand and focused on primary school students of varying ethnicities such as New Zealand European and Maorians. The Maori students were mainly predicted to have a low reading level compared to the other students. At the beginning of the year, the Maori students were at a similar reading level to their peers, but by the end of the year, they had made the least progress. This shows that teachers will keep to their predictions and treat the students to those predictions. In some ways, such as in this study, it can have a negative impact on the students grades.

That wouldn't get me much marks, especially at my size of writing! You need to write half a page, but my writing is below the average size.

The study was done by Ruby-Davies et al. It compared the teacher expectations and outcomes of student reading performance for ethnic groups in New Zealand. The data was collected from records of teacher expectations and the data from the actual achievement of students. It involved 540 students, including 261 New Zealand European, 88 Maori, 91 Pacific Islanders and 94 Asians. There were also 21 teachers. The expectations on the reading levels for Maoris was the lowest than any other ethnic group. The Maori children had a similar level to other children at the beginning of the year, but had made the least progress by the end of the year. Because the teachers hadn't changed their expectations of the Maori students, their performance was limited as a result.

The study provides evidence on the effects of low expectations. The effect may not be exclusively linked to ethnicity because the students' social status wasn't taken into account. The teachers' ethnicity could also be a confounding variable. It is worth emphasising the need for teachers to consider how they communicate and to endeavour to present positive expectations of their students. This might be helped by using fewer closed commands, asking open questions and show concern when students fail to understand tasks.

Hmm. I won't be able to remember all that for my exam. Plus, I need to know 72 studies of similar length... Waaaaah!

OK, Teacher-student communications. I don't remember most of this... So the Flanders interactive analysis technique is as follows:

1. Teacher response - Accepts feelings.
2. Teacher response - Praises or encourages.
3. Teacher response - Accepts or uses students' ideas.
4. Teacher questioning - Asks questions.
5. Teacher initiation - Lectures
6. Teacher initiation - Gives directions.
7. Teacher initiation - Criticises.
8. Student response - Pupil talk response.
9. Student initiation - Pupil talk initiation.
10. Student initiation - Silence/confusion.

You make a grid with these categories and observe a class. A recording is taken every 3 seconds and marked as the last observation followed by the new observation, so if a teacher went from Lecturing to asking a question, you would mark the box that overlaps the numbers 6 and 5. The findings make it possible to develop an understanding of the communication between students and teachers, such as the ratio of talking between students and teachers, or how much time the teacher praises the student compared to criticising them.

I still laugh that it says in the book "Praises or encourages: Often by using 'jokes', nodding or simply saying 'mmm'."

Limitations to technology.

Physical - Some renewable energy sources have limitations in where they can be, such as wind farms or solar panels.
Religious - Some religions, such as the Roman Catholic Church, ban members from using contraceptives.
Political - China controls what can and can't be found on Google in the country.
Environmental - Some people don't like foods that have been treated with pesticides and prefer to buy organic.

Some people don't use technology for a wide variety of reasons. Parents might think computer games are bad for their children because it affects their health, or people don't encourage the use of genetic engineering because they feel uncomfortable about it. If someone doesn't like technology, then they are known as technophobes. An example would be the Amish, who shun most technological advancements in recent years.

I have to go into school on Monday to go to Geography revision. I need to know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter