• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pro Bowl 2017 ~ Parade Set for Jan. 27 in MK @ 2:30

Still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of not knowing the Pro Bowl exists.

Ha, I wondered if anyone would give me flack for that! But it's true! I've just never had any interest in NFL - I'm a complete and total MLB girl. Which makes sense, as I live in Cardinal Nation - NFL and even college football aren't as big here as other parts of the country. I did pick up interest in SEC football when attending University of Arkansas, but it's still second to Cardinals (shhh, don't tell Arkansas, they'll take back my degree!).

I'm not surprised at all, interest in the game has been non-existent since the '80's, and back then people only watched it because the NFL season was over, they only had 3 channels and it was the middle of winter. But no one ever got excited over the Pro Bowl game. When it's current ESPN contract expires, maybe they'll finally pull the plug on the game altogether.

I do believe interest in the game will draw day-trippers from neighboring states, but not people planning multi-day trips or planning vacations around it.

I was so bummed to hear about this. We have rented DVC points for the week of 1/21 to 1/28 so we're pretty locked into our dates and it was announced after we had already booked. We have zero interest in this or in seeing any football players. To each their own, it's just not our thing. I guess we'll just have to avoid the Magic Kingdom on the days they have events planned. Although that's a bummer too because we're taking our four year old and the Magic Kingdom was really our priority. We picked these dates because of hopefully low crowds and it's before my busy season at work. Arghh. I was just going to cross my fingers and hope it didn't affect the parks that much but this thread has gotten me a little more worried.

Last edited:
I was so bummed to hear about this. We have rented DVC points for the week of 1/21 to 1/28 so we're pretty locked into our dates at it was announced after we had already booked. We have zero interest in this or in seeing any football players. To each their own, it's just not our thing. I guess we'll just have to avoid the Magic Kingdom on the days they have events planned. Although that's a bummer too because we're taking our four year old and the Magic Kingdom was really our priority. We picked these dates because of hopefully low crowds and it's before my busy season at work. Arghh. I was just going to cross my fingers and hope it didn't affect the parks that much but this thread has gotten me a little more worried.

It don't thing it will affect the parks. I doubt anyone fanatical enough to actually travel to see the Pro Bowl will venture over to WDW.

My guess is this will have a small impact on crowds in the parks. The day they have the players there will surely bring in some people, maybe steer away from MK the day of that parade.

In all, it's probably not going to be a huge problem, certainly don't see it impacting traffic or anything like that.

Looking at raw numbers. Suppose you have 50,000 attending. Let's even say that 30,000 are from out of town. Let's say that a third of those decide to go to Disney. Let's suppose that for each attendee, there are two people in the traveling party. All of those numbers probably are on the high side.
We'd be looking at an additional 20,000 at WDW if all of those high numbers played out. Spread over four parks, that would be relatively benign.
I'm there that week, and in my case I'm driving back to WDW from church up in Longwood on Sunday morning, so I have to go past the stadium on I-4 around lunchtime. So I may have to deal with some traffic on game day, but not especially concerned about the parks.

I heard the news of the Pro Bowl being there, and I booked a week long trip at WDW because of it. We'll be going to ESPN Wide World of Sports for the practices, the game, and WDW in the middle.

I'm a huge sports fan (more into pro sports than college) who is just learning Orlando had an actual outdoor football stadium, hehe. Yes, I know the Magic are there in the arena but I didn't have a clue about a stadium within the Orlando city borders because I don't think of a college being located there.

cigar95 seems spot on with his analysis. The game is a total bore and isn't even 1/10th as big as that of Superbowl activities......I can't imagine the influx of people converging on WDW to be all that much. Most people plan a week of activities for the Superbowl but the Pro Bowl? It's more hype than anything else.

It looks like the stadium can hold 65k+ people so look on the bright side, at least Sunday evening won't be as busy. Hawaii has often had difficulties filling their stadium so a part of me would be shocked if it is totally sold out. The NFL is trying out some new things and have moved it back and forth between FL and AZ the last couple of years with Hawaii thrown back in the mix, I doubt it would be back in Orlando again in the next few years unless it's a smashing success.

We just changed our late February WDW vacation to January 21-30! We are a football family, so the chance to see some NFL players in a parade at the MK can't be passed up! Lol! We are SO excited!!!!

Heather

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...-activities-at-espn-wide-world-of-sports-.htm

Just saw this. With activities at the ESPN Wide World of Sports and a parade of players at Magic Kingdom, I'd expect huge crowds those days.

It's not just the people attending (plus their families), it's all of the players' families, and the media. No, it is NOT the Super Bowl. But, what would have been a quiet week (and I'm thinking resorts as well as parks), is now going to see a much higher influx of people. Plus, that time of year has reduced hours, and probably doesn't have as much staffing at the parks as summer. But, who knows?

I was so bummed to hear about this. We have rented DVC points for the week of 1/21 to 1/28 so we're pretty locked into our dates and it was announced after we had already booked. We have zero interest in this or in seeing any football players. To each their own, it's just not our thing. I guess we'll just have to avoid the Magic Kingdom on the days they have events planned. Although that's a bummer too because we're taking our four year old and the Magic Kingdom was really our priority. We picked these dates because of hopefully low crowds and it's before my busy season at work. Arghh. I was just going to cross my fingers and hope it didn't affect the parks that much but this thread has gotten me a little more worried.

Seriously, there is not going to be a huge influx of people for this game. The Pro Bowl is a non-entity on the current sports landscape. Moving it to Orlando is a last-ditch effort by the NFL to save it.

Most players who are selected for the game back out, and you end up with the fourth-best or fifth-best players playing each position. It's not an event fans travel to. It'll attract locals to the actual game, but that won't affect the park crowds. And most of the players and their families won't stick around to hit up the parks beyond the official MK appearance, they will all head for the Super Bowl site as soon as they possibly can.

If you have a trip around this time, take a deep breath, you'll be absolutely fine.

As a HUGE football fan, the Pro Bowl is a non-game; meaning many players that are chosen as pro bowlers don't go to the game, especially if they are on a team that just lost the Conference championship game the week before (and the two Super Bowl teams, of course).

However, even if "backup" players go, they are still players than fans know and recognize. Going to the parks during the Tuesday-Friday before the Pro Bowl on Sunday would be a great opportunity to see some top notch NFL players. I think it would be cool to see, say Eli Manning or JJ Watt on Splash Mountain!

I have no idea if or how this will affect crowds (will be interesting to see though). I just wanted to say that I'd love to see JJ Watt on Splash Mountain. LOL.

I am interested in this discussion too. I know nothing about the Pro Bowl and don't intend to attend the Harry Potter celebration either, but it seems I chose poorly and both will/may happen the first weekend when we arrive. (Splitting our trip between Universal and Disney).

Anyone care to speculate wildly on the impact this might have on crowds and discount availability for the last weekend in January? We were planning only a long weekend trip this year, and I've already put my vacation request in. Can I hope it will be as poorly attended as when it was in HI?

Anyone care to speculate wildly on the impact this might have on crowds and discount availability for the last weekend in January? We were planning only a long weekend trip this year, and I've already put my vacation request in. Can I hope it will be as poorly attended as when it was in HI?
Merging into the Pro Bowl thread, :)

I'm going the same week and have the same concerns. In addition to the analysis on this thread, one thing that is keeping me optimistic is that on the NFL pro bowl website, it says it is giving first priority tickets to season ticket holders in Florida (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville). This means the attendees will heavily be locals or those who only have to travel a few hours for the game itself. This gives me hope there are not a lot of vacationers.

What I do see being impacted are day vistitors to the sports complex for practice and the magic kingdom day for the parade. As an NFL fan, I'm actually looking forward to seeing players like Aaron Rogers and Gronk on a float going down Main Street. That will be a packed day at the park, but I doubt the resort as a whole will be noticibly affected.

I'm going the same week and have the same concerns. In addition to the analysis on this thread, one thing that is keeping me optimistic is that on the NFL pro bowl website, it says it is giving first priority tickets to season ticket holders in Florida (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville). This means the attendees will heavily be locals or those who only have to travel a few hours for the game itself. This gives me hope there are not a lot of vacationers.

What I do see being impacted are day vistitors to the sports complex for practice and the magic kingdom day for the parade. As an NFL fan, I'm actually looking forward to seeing players like Aaron Rogers and Gronk on a float going down Main Street. That will be a packed day at the park, but I doubt the resort as a whole will be noticibly affected.

The Dolphins, Bucs, and Jaguars have season ticket holders??? I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to ONE game of any of those teams, let alone all of them!

I also haven't seen a confirmed date for the 5K run. I wonder if it can be fully run at WWoS without impacting surface streets - probably because it's geared for kids.

I also haven't seen a confirmed date for the 5K run. I wonder if it can be fully run at WWoS without impacting surface streets - probably because it's geared for kids.
There's 5k of off-road running at WWoS, through the back fields, the woods, the track, etc. without getting on the streets.

So would I be correct in saying that the last week in January will probably be impacted more so than the first week in February?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter