Pre-holiday pantry challenge

So today is marathon cooking day. I want to get as much preped for tomorrow as I can. Luckily we only do X-mas eve dinner as X-mas dinner is at my grandma's house.

Lunch will be leftovers and dinner is up in the air.

christmas eve we were planning this big or expensive menu/ im going to talk dd and see if we can pare things down a bit. instead of the multiple items she wants to have i was thinking of making a roast in the crock pot, garlic mashed potatoes, a vegi, pizza dip, shrimp from aldis and cheese and crackers. she has a long list of appetizers. cant do it-fell in the driveway this past thrusday. screwed up my leg. cant do the cooking she wants. would rather just do something easy. she can boil potatoes and throw stuff in a crockpot. plus the expense is senseless as well. i would just buying stuff and end up freezing it, filling my freezer more..

christmas eve we were planning this big or expensive menu/ im going to talk dd and see if we can pare things down a bit. instead of the multiple items she wants to have i was thinking of making a roast in the crock pot, garlic mashed potatoes, a vegi, pizza dip, shrimp from aldis and cheese and crackers. she has a long list of appetizers. cant do it-fell in the driveway this past thrusday. screwed up my leg. cant do the cooking she wants. would rather just do something easy. she can boil potatoes and throw stuff in a crockpot. plus the expense is senseless as well. i would just buying stuff and end up freezing it, filling my freezer more..

As Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa says, your guests won't have a better time because you spent all day cooking.

Merry Christmas everyone! Got to get back to cooking potatoe soup and crab dip for tonight!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Right now I have Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup on the stove and it smells divine (recipe from Lecellier).

Merry Christmas my fellow DISers!
Today I made the deviled eggs(had to hide them), a buffalo chicken dip for my DH to take to work on 3rd shift, and a ginger bundt cake for dessert tomorrow!

Tomorrow is our day to get together with our family. I am making a 11 pounder ham glazed with ginger ale, pineapple, and orange juice. Sides are sweet potatoes, bree mashed potatoes, and squash. I really don't have to do much tomorrow except for glazing the ham.:lovestruc

I am preparing my egg bake tonight so I can put it in the oven while we are opening presents tomorrow! It should be a wonderful day!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Right now I have Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup on the stove and it smells divine (recipe from Lecellier).

could you please pm me the recipie? love that soup!!! dd loved lecelier and raves about everything we had there. especially the soup and pretzel bread!!!

I am very pleased with myself! I have stayed right around $350 for the month of December with groceries.

We have also only eaten out three times.....about $70 in total!

Our budget is usually $200 for eating out and $500 for groceries.

I overspent a little on gifts so I am THRILLED to be making up some of the difference. I plan to try for another month of frugal eating until I have evened out the Christmas gift giving overage!

:cool1::banana:

Merry Christmas everyone.

We just finished our yummy breakfast casserole and are getting ready to head to my Grandma's about 2pm.

The Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup was a hit last night as well as everything else we had (Pork Roast, roasted zucchini and potatoes, applesauce, and gingerbread cheesecake). I figure that dinner for 5 of us last night only cost about $40 which is pretty good.

Merry Christmas everyone! :goodvibes

I ended up buying up Trader Joe's and we had an appetizer-style Christmas Eve dinner. It was DSis's turn, and she just didn't have the energy (pregnant), so thank God for the emergency savings account - and DSis is totally worth it!

I'm still plugging away on my pantry/freezer. When my new niece comes, I'll be staying at DSis's for a while - I can't wait to implement Pantry Challenge at her house. I'll be in charge of the cooking - so DBiL will just have to deal! :lmao:

It's wet and snowy and icy here in the suburbs but it's nice not having to do much cooking. :thumbsup2

I've slowly started to notice my grocery shopping habits change - for the better. Baby steps - plan on keeping this up in the New Year!

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

We hosted Christmas Day for 18 people and my dh's annual cousins party yesterday for 13 people. So, we have tons and tons of leftovers!

We will be working on the leftovers for several days I am sure!

Lunch today is pulled pork sandwiches and brocoli salad.

Tonight will be ham, sweet potatoe casserole, and some side salad.

We have lots of appetizers foods too.

Lori

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

We hosted Christmas Day for 18 people and my dh's annual cousins party yesterday for 13 people. So, we have tons and tons of leftovers!

We will be working on the leftovers for several days I am sure!

Lunch today is pulled pork sandwiches and brocoli salad.

Tonight will be ham, sweet potatoe casserole, and some side salad.

We have lots of appetizers foods too.

Lori

Wow! You are busy!

I somehow ended up with an entire ham from DMom and now I'm roasting a tiny fryer.

But at least the freezer is looking better! :thumbsup2

I made boca burgers and had them all ready to eat and DH came home. He turned up his nose on them and BAM.....there went the kids too.....noses up all over the place.

I got so frustrated I took my boca burger and left the kitchen and yelled, "I made dinner. If you don't like it, you are on your own!"

DH had dinner ready by 8pm (two hours later).

Normally we get along fine, but I was so mad. First of all, I made dinner! Second of all, if he hadn't said anything, the boys would have tried it and been fine. Third of all, I hate that my DH is such a picky, picky eater! Here I am trying to save the money HE made and he gives me attitude?

Ok, vent over.

Dawn

It's been nonstop ham madness since Christmas Day! Yesterday was scalloped potatoes and today I made split pea soup. I am going to have to go shopping soon!

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Yesterday we had brunch with my dad's side of the family (we normally do it on Christmas but it is always so stressful since we all have places to be for dinner that it is hard to enjoy).

Last night we finished up the rest of the leftovers from Christmas eve.

Today will be chicken fajita's with spanish rice.

I did do a little grocery shopping yesterday on the way home as we finally have our first real snow of the season and are expecting more this week and I just feel like hanging out at home.

Hi gang! I forgot to mention that when I was preparing the food for Christmas day I ran out of peanut butter and mayonaise. I never ever run out of those types of items. I guess the pantry challenge was working after all! DH was none too happy that he had to go stand in line at Dominics the day before Christmas for needed items.

Today - leftover sweet bread that was gift from a co-worker for breakfast.

Lunch - Leftovers pulled pork and sides

Tonight - Should be leftovers but I have a feeling it might be take out subs after a basketball game we are going to.

Lori

I just wanted to state I just have loved this challange................
my chest freezer was full to capacity and now its about half full...........
my pantry is about 3/4 full ............. and unless its been free or near free I haven't been buying it.............

on Sunday we got together with my husbands family for the holidays ... and everyone was suppose to bring a dish........... I brought 3.....all from my pantry.... all for a grand total of 2.88 after coupons...........

appy.......... turkey meatballs in bbq sauce (.68)
main.......... pasta alfredo (2.00)
desert......... brownies (.20)

I haven't added up what I've spend on groceries this month......... for milk, bread etc.....but I'd have to guess way under $150...........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter