Pre-holiday pantry challenge

I am sick as a dog today so we did not go anywhere.

I had chicken soup (freezer) for lunch and mom had leftovers from last night.

Tonight I honestly have no clue what we are doing. It depends on how I feel.

I came in slightly under my budget again on groceries for the week, it was about $58. However, they were having a great sale on canned green beans and sweet peas. Those are now close to .75 a can!!! Del Monte today was
.45 so I had to stock up!! I was glad I'd made a dent in the pantry to fit those in! :)

i picked up my angel food order yesterday. that came to $59 for $120 worth of food. i then went to a local food warehouse and spent $12. our cat ran out of dry food so that adds another $12-but it is a 16 pound bag so will last her several months. i'm up to $84.00. $116.00 left to go. hopefully i wont spend it all.

im out of bread so i'll our local bread outlet and just need salad as my angel food order came with apples. i still have oranges, and other fruit from shopping before.

im trying to keep my food bill (including pet food, paper products etc) under $200.00. last month i did pretty good. I only spent $155.00.

usually when i order the angel food i dont have enough room in my freezer to put my order away. this month i had plenty of room in the freezer. also i see room in the cupboards. that is a first.

tonight i didnt make stir fry as originally planned-i have a beef roast in the crockpot with potatoes. i dont have any stir fry sauce. not sure what the plan is for the coming week. will post that later.

Alright ... so this week is crazy, but which week isn't.

I am planning on making stuffed cabbage, chicken alfredo ... and who knows what else. That's just what sounds good right now.

12/13 - My neighbor gave us dinner ... free pizza! They had a huge party, and she's allergic to tomatoes, and no one wanted to bring it home ... hmmm, sounds good to me.

I have had a great budget week this week! DH has been really ill with a respiratory infection and hasn't eaten much of anything. I haven't been in the mood to eat either. DMIL is here though so I did get rid of some salmon from the freezer and a bunch of stuff in our vegetable bin. We are leaving for WDW in a few minutes and we have enough Disney Gift cards to pretty much cover our meals! We'll be back the week of Christmas and I'll blow the challenge by getting a prime rib. :lmao:

Feeling better so mom went and picked up a few steaks at the grocery and we had the last of the salad and baked potatoes with it.

Tomorrow night we are headed out with my Grandma to a Holiday concert at the high school and it includes dinner.

The rest of the week I am planning on
Potato and Double Corn Chowder with Roast Beef Sandwiches
Oven Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Corn
Pork Stirfry over rice
Homemade Mac and cheese
Pot roast

Used up other bit of baguette for French toast this morning - sooo good! :goodvibes I forgot how much I like French toast.

Mid-day snack was sweet potato fries - I went a little heavy on the cayenne so I dipped in sour cream as well as ketchup. :thumbsup2

Friend treated me to early (3PM) dinner so I'm snacking on leftover veal marsala right now - rest of angel hair will make up part of lunch tomorrow. :)

Used up other bit of baguette for French toast this morning - sooo good! :goodvibes I forgot how much I like French toast.

Mid-day snack was sweet potato fries - I went a little heavy on the cayenne so I dipped in sour cream as well as ketchup. :thumbsup2

Friend treated me to early (3PM) dinner so I'm snacking on leftover veal marsala right now - rest of angel hair will make up part of lunch tomorrow. :)

A free dinner of veal marsala, a Blackhawks game, and a Bears game? Where can I find friends like yours?

Another cheap night, and using up things that have to be eaten or tossed tomorrow. BLT's and baked sweet potato fries that we got on sale yesterday for .19 a pound!!

yeah Im starting to run out of food ideas:). my dh is getting really sick of this lol.. He did not like what I made 2 days in a row and he orderd pizza:guilty:

Tonight .. BLT and fruit sald

Last night was baked chicken, the squash that has been haning around, and bread (you know my addicition to the bakery outlet place!).

Lunch is leftover sloppy joe and squash.

Supper is chicken and stuffing casserole with brussel sprouts using some kaiser rolls for the stuffing.

I spent about $58 this weekend but most was for the holiday buffet. I think I only purchased salad mix for us. Oh, ds, talked me into some Key Lime flavored water.

Lori

Lunch today is chicken salad sandwiches. Tonight I think we are getting Papa Murphys. It's good and cheap.:thumbsup2 Tomorrow I am going to go to our local store to pick up the ham for Xmas and some other deals. The big grocery shopping I am saving for Wednesday.

Breakfast today was cherrios and juice.

Lunch is leftover mac and cheese from lunch the other day.

Dinner is out.

Friday- I was supposed to make lasagna and I fell asleep, so the kids just had sandwich's.

Saturday-we had the lasgna, salad, and corn.

Sunday- I found some smokey links in the freezer, so ds made pigs in the blanket, mac n cheese, and peas for us for dinner.

Today I threw a pork roast (I think its a shoulder roast) in the crockpot. I have tons of potatoes so we will have mashed potatoes, and whatever veggie dd grabs from the pantry.

Wow some of you are on the ball and have meals thought out all week. I have no idea what we are having besides tonight. I do know we are eating dinner Wed at my dad's.

Sorry guys, I have had a whole heap of trouble and been unable to post. My 3 year old fridge died for the 3rd time. It's under warranty but whirlpool won't take care of it. They say that because the company that makes the fridges for them went belly up they don't have to honor the warranty, for anyone who has a Whirlpool or is thinking about buying a new fridge you should see what's happening so this doesn't happen to you. For all of the ugly details you can go here.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2350621&page=2

In the meantime let me just tell you, don't buy a Whirlpool fridge.

So, I lost everything in the fridge and will have to start over. Obviously my pantry and freezer are still ok, but this will set me back, a lot. Cost of a new fridge and filling it again with food. :sick:

I'll catch up with you guys once I get myself together again.

It was another ridiculously cheap night! The youngest dd wanted potato soup and since I needed to use up a ton of potatoes and the last of the carrots/celery it was perfect! I made a .25 can of biscuits to go along with it.

Tonight I have a small amount of leftover shrimp in the freezer. I might finish up the tortilla's and do a shrimp quesadilla. I got some sweet potatoes for .19 a pound this week so I could do sweet potato fries as the side.

That stinks, Tinkeroni. I hope you can find a good deal on a new fridge.

So Yesterday we had homemade macaroni and cheese. I also ran up to Save-a-lot for a few items and it only cost me $20.33 for bread, bananas, milk, cheese, chicken broth, and a couple other items.

Today we are having a Christmas brunch at a friend's house so lunch is taken care of. I might have some toast in a few just to tie me over until 11.

Dinner tonight will be out (I know lucky). My Grandfather's Cousin's Daughter is in town and we always get together with her when she comes to town every couple of months.

Tomorrow I have some organic chicken drumsticks that I got for dirt cheap at the grocery (with a coupon) that need to be used or frozen so we might have those with hashbrown casserole and stirfryed veggies.

OK, dinner last night was parmesan chicken breasts, butternut squash, rice, green beans and some garlic bread.

Squash out of the basement, home canned green beans, garlic bread made out of some, starting to get stale, italian bread. Chicken breasts were pre-made and in the freezer from some Once a Month Cooking I had done.

Breakfast, hard boiled eggs (my yard :lmao:) apples and juice. It's been a challenge without a fridge in the kitchen.

The kids are buying lunch, they don't usually but again...no fridge.

Maybe Santa will leave a fridge in my stocking....:santa:

Well we couldn't hold off until today to do my regular shopping so we went to this local market we used to shop at to get a ham and some other necessities. The ham was .88/lb with a $25.00 purchase) I didn't use my calculator this time because I was sure I wasn't going overboard. The cart wasn't even half full. I got to the check out and my bill was over $90.00! I had $10.00 worth of coupons and my ham on there but I was floored. That's my whole weeks budget and only bought two meals for the week!
So today I am going to my regular market to pick up some more meat and essential. I am hoping to get out of there without doing too much damage to my next weeks budget! It's cold here feels like -4. I really don't want to go outside! I have to go renew my license too and mail out my XMas cards. Wish me luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter