Pre-holiday pantry challenge

annsteere

DIS Veteran
Anybody want to join me in eating up their pantry before restocking for holiday cooking?

Eating my stockpile should free up cash and shelf space for holidays.

My rule: buy only fresh produce and dairy from now until the Monday before Thanksgiving, or until the shelves are bare.

Your rule: is up to you!

that may work pretty good now. I went to Harvey's on Saturday to buy a ham and found out they had a killer meat sale. I had 4 bags and it was only $32.xx!! I was so happy!! I do have lots of stuff that needs to be used up in the pantry though. Too much stuff!

I am in. My pantry/freezer/fridge is busting!!!!!! My goal is to only buy fresh produce, eggs, milk and meat.

I will try to spend only $50 a week. (my normal budget is $150). I will start tommorow!!!

I hope to continue this until Thanksgiving!!

Good luck to all!

Hi!

I want to try!

During the year I would buy staple ingredients for recipes, then have stuff leftover. I will reserve a box of canned goods I can use for Thanksgiving meal, then try to get started on the rest.

Thanks for the great idea! :)

Regina in NC

I'm in...
I plan on using everything in the upstairs freezer. The only meat I will buy is when chicken goes on sale again for the family pack - as I am out.

Produce and dairy only as long as I can...hopefully Thanksgiving.

I'll try. I am usually pretty bad at this. That is probably why my pantry and freezers are overflowing.
Lori

I was just thinking about that. I'm In.:goodvibes I need the space downstairs that is holding my extra food to hold X-mas presents and organize them.

I should warn you that I coupon so I have a stockpile and a big freezer.:lmao:

I'm in. Both freezers are overflowing as is the pantry. I could probably go through to Feb w/o restocking anything other than fresh stuff.

i'm in, too. Our freezers are bursting at the seams and we need to eat this meat. I'll go $50 per week except for thanksgiving dinner items until thanksgiving.

Good luck to everyone!

I am in too!!! My freezer arrives on Wednesday YEAH!!! I bought so much meat in the last week its not funny LOL

My goal is to only spend $30 or $40 per week and the same Thanksgiving week too since son gets a free turkey from work :banana:

I have been trying to stock up on things since hubby lost his job. I have found alot of good deals or maybe I have just learned to be thrifty since money is tight.

I have even started some Christmas shopping :)

I would like to be in - need to get dh on board. We have been spending WAY TOO MUCH at the grocery store the last month or two. Between lots of extra stuff for a Bunco party that I hosted (host once a year and hostess provides hot snacks, cold snacks, drinks, table munchies and dessert) and my dd's birthday (cookie cake, treats for school, etc.) - it has just been out of control. I think we've been averaging 4 stops a week at the grocery store. I'm going to start a $ spent at Wegmans list and keep it on the counter and try to get dh to keep track there too.

I will try for $50/week for the next few at least. I know we will need bread, milk, bananas, strawberries, some veggies and yogurt, maybe eggs. I think I should be able to do that with $50 per week (barely).

I am in! But I will tell you I dont have much just for some strange reason a TON of tomato products. I have to buy some fruit and limited veggies and diary! This will be my first official time! :goodvibes

I'm in! I have a bunch of stuff in the freezer I need to use! I need some bread, milk, eggs and produce that I'll hopefully get tomorrow.

How about everyone add what they have done with their pantry/freezer stuff as they use it up and hopefully give the rest of us ideas on how to use ours? :goodvibes

I'm in. I would really like to try this. My goal is too also spend $5 or less a week at the grocery store. My freezer is bursting with meat, although I do have to buy a few things to help round out our menu.

I'm most concerned to eat up the meat in our freezer. We should enjoy it while it is still first quality.

As a couponer, I've got LOTS of some specifc items. For us that includes about 20 cans of tomato soup, and at least half a dozen boxes of brownie mix.

If I get to the Monday before Thanksgiving and still have the most recently purchased can goods uneaten, that's fine.

My target is oldest stuff eaten first and all available meat enjoyed before buying any more.

Our first meal was pea soup, made with a hambone that's been in the freezer for months. It was dinner last night and will be lunch today.

I'm in. I did this on the last challenge, and we ate out of the freezer and pantry for about 3 weeks before it even made a dent. I don't even know what is in the back of my freezer, but I'm gonna find out.:laughing:

I'm in since I actually started doing this 2 weeks ago! I am trying to keep to a $50 budget per week for a family of five. I have a lot in my freezers, and two refrigs. and pantry. I'm working on only fresh foods, dairy but I'll have to add bread to that for sandwiches for my kids. I even have the baking ingredients I need for Thanksgiving baking.

I am starting today by using chicken, carrots, and zucchini from our freezer and adding it to a boxed stir fry mix that contains the sauce and rice.

I'm in. I just finished cleaning out a small closet, my overflow pantry, and this is ridiculous.

I can so I have a ton of fruit on the shelf and in the freezer. I also raise chickens so I have literally 33 of them in the freezer, plus 1/2 a pig and in December a 1/4 beef.

I will allow Dairy, in season produce as needed, lunchmeat every other week and my son's protein bars. He has been having a growth spurt and can't seem to get enough food. Dr recommends protein bars to have midmorning while he is in class.

Everything else will come from the fridge, freezer, pantry and yard.:rotfl:
(we have chickens who lay a dozen eggs a day and a cold frame where right now I am growing green leaf lettuce, spinach and scallions)
If I can't do this, shame on me.

My DH just told me not to buy anthing else to go in the freze because it would not fit. So I already started this yesterday. So I am with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter