POLL: How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like POP may be trying with their new hospital room design (if this is the final look).
That is a whole lot of laminate and vinyl ... and brown and white.

Not sure why they are keeping those dust gathering curtains when vinyl blinds would do? ;)

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540
Oh my, used to be a fan of Pop when our flights change and need a one night stay. But these are terrible.

Oh my, used to be a fan of Pop when our flights change and need a one night stay. But these are terrible.

Agree, we've stayed about 18 times and head back next week. It's great spot to be if you don't need resort time. But don't want to come back at the end of a long day to this. Going to wait and see, could be they have made changes from these "test" rooms.

While I agree that carpeting can be dirty and full of who knows what, I would definitely prefer to have my room, and especially the room above me, carpeted. Way too many times have I had to endure noisy people (kids and adults) in the room above me, and those were in rooms that were carpeted, at Disney resorts and elsewhere. Unless they can find a way to deaden/dampen the sound going through the floor, I would expect a LOT of noise from above, if the rooms are not carpeted.

I always wear slippers or rubber beach thongs at hotels anyhow, so I don't mind either way, but...about 3/4 of our home has hardwood floors and the rest carpet. I love the carpeted areas. They are more comfortable and always look cleaner. Mousekeeping is going to have to be diligent to keep the dust bunnies away. They are relentless.

Looks like POP may be trying with their new hospital room design (if this is the final look).

This is funny because I work in a newer hospital and this new Pop room design is rather reminiscent of those rooms :laughing:. Maybe that's why I kind of liked them when I first saw these photos :laughing:. I think the white sheets and pillowcases definitely contribute to that "sterile" look; but like pp mentioned I'm not going to be living there and the value resort rooms are definitely intended for guests that don't spend a great deal of time in the room. I think Disney's intent with this new look are rooms that are easier to clean that can also endure more wear and tear which might be the case with the volume of guests Pop gets. I wouldn't be surprised if this is only the beginning and other resorts also get this kind of room makeover.

I don't mind laminate flooring. Many Red Roof Inns have gone to laminate and we have stayed at a couple that had it. They did have some carpeting around the bed area, but most of the room was laminate.

It looks like some of the upcoming resort room remodels are replacing the carpet with hard surface flooring. I was wondering what readers thought about that. It seems like there are no shortage of opinions on the DIS Boards so weigh in.

Please remember that everyone has the right to an opinion so forgo the need to argue with, or correct other posters. Yeah sure they might be crazy but it's their crazy, so make like Anna and Elsa and let it go. And besides, we are all a little crazy in our own special way so just share YOUR opinion rather than get into a debate.

I didn't put other in the poll because if your thoughts do lean toward other it's probably best that you share that info in a post.

Please feel free to share your reasons yea or nay about carpets/the lack thereof in a post as well.

Thanks for participating and with much respect,
~Ninja Mom

I actually like the idea of them getting rid of carpets, especially since so many people have allergy issues and carpeting is usually a major reason for triggering allergies.

I like the pictures I've seen of the upcoming Pop refurb, if the rooms are in fact actually going to look that way. I do however hope that they will have a couple of throw rugs (washable ones) that can be placed next to the bed or in front of the vanity so that I can have a squishy place to stand when I brush my teeth and step out of bed.

Not sure why they are keeping those dust gathering curtains when vinyl blinds would do? ;)

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540

The curtains add a much needed pop of color and softness, and they work better than vertical blinds for blocking the light and privacy. We have verticals in our living room, and they really don't provide anywhere as much privacy as one would want with a hotel room window.

One bed? Really? So they are going to 1 bed? I don't ever plan to stay at Pop so don't follow the reno threads there but hard to believe they are going to 1 bed. At least that doesn't appear to be a King bed, maybe it is?

And a murphy bed/table

I always wear slippers or rubber beach thongs at hotels anyhow, so I don't mind either way, but...about 3/4 of our home has hardwood floors and the rest carpet. I love the carpeted areas. They are more comfortable and always look cleaner. Mousekeeping is going to have to be diligent to keep the dust bunnies away. They are relentless.
Dust bunnies make the best pets ;)

I suffer from allergies, and anytime I stay somewhere with carpets (Disney and other hotels), I struggle with my allergies. I don't have a single carpet or rug in my home - only small bath mats in the bathrooms that get constantly washed.

Having said that, what are they going to do about the noise? When people walk on the room above, or the hallway, or even the room nex t door in a hard surface, you'll be able to hear it.

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540
Oh bleh. The walls need color. Not a fan.

I think Disney would be the only place I would want carpet! After a day (or 10) of literally pounding the pavement the last thing I want to go back to is a hard floor beneath my feet (though usually that is only for the time it takes me to get from the door to the bed).

Carpet is germy and a little gross, but its soft on my throbbing feet! I havent died yet or whatever may be growing in the carpets, so I say why change? (If its not Boroque, dont fix it !)

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540

That is terrible! I honestly would never stay there. Id rather stay down the street outside of Disney. Whoever designed that room should be fired, along with the person who signed off on the idea.

I answered that I love it, but I'm really more neutral. I prefer carpet for the comfort and warmth I perceive from it, but the hard floors don't bother me a bunch. I don't like the "Pergo" type floors that make a weird sound when you walk on them, but the synthetic floors do seem to be getting better and better. I'm not convinced a hard floor will actually be cleaner, but I don't mind them.

Having said that, what are they going to do about the noise? When people walk on the room above, or the hallway, or even the room nex t door in a hard surface, you'll be able to hear it.

The surface is not just put down without anything under it. There is a layer under the "wood" or "tile". Just like you don't lay a carpet without something under it, the other surface isn't any different.

The surface is not just put down without anything under it. There is a layer under the "wood" or "tile". Just like you don't lay a carpet without something under it, the other surface isn't any different.
Yes, but that layer normally consists of a plastic vapor barrier with a VERY thin piece of foam glued to it. Unless they upgrade to the "good stuff" (which I highly doubt) the room sounds will definitely increase. Over the years mousekeeping's quality has dropped, many complaints of them not vacuuming very well. Now we are hoping that, not only do they vacuum but they will need to wash the floors and if they do not do it correctly it will leave a sticky film behind.

In regards to the thread; I am not a fan of hotel carpet (we always bring our slippers) but, there are so many more pros then cons for it vs hard floors in hotels. With carpet the chances of damage to dropped electronics, watches etc. are a lot less and so is injuries if children fall on it. My DD has dropped the hotel glass once and it did not break, but I think the results would have been much different with a hard floor. And as for the new POP room? DIS doesn't give you the "poop" emoji as an option.

I mean, they could put rubber flooring. That would insulate noise, be easy on feet, and not exacerbate allergies. But, can you imagine the complaints? "It looks like a gym." "So unstylish." "What were they thinking"

Last edited:

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540

ICK!! That is...horrid!!

I thought CSR was bad from the refurb pics I saw of that, but they outdid themselves on the YUCK factor with this one.

I think I'm more and more glad that my "home" CBR was just refurbed not long ago. Maybe it can stay decent for a while - or maybe they'll get over this plain-jane phase before they go to redo it again. I wouldn't mind them changing to the non-carpeted floors, but leave some charm of the resort in there please!

ICK!! That is...horrid!!

I thought CSR was bad from the refurb pics I saw of that, but they outdid themselves on the YUCK factor with this one.

I think I'm more and more glad that my "home" CBR was just refurbed not long ago. Maybe it can stay decent for a while - or maybe they'll get over this plain-jane phase before they go to redo it again. I wouldn't mind them changing to the non-carpeted floors, but leave some charm of the resort in there please!

Holding out hope they make some changes to this version. I guess soon enough we will know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter