POLL: How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know I'm on vacation when there is carpet under my feet in the bedroom and cold tile in the bathroom.

Because due to my wife's allergies we don't have carpet and I haven't gotten around to tiling the bathroom. :)

I voted for the carpets because the only place in the world where I want carpets is in a hotel room that gets cleaned daily.

I have allergy to dust and I find that a *clean* carpet is better than hard floor because when the dust is “trapped” within the fiber, it does not flow in mid-air whenever I open a window. YMMV.

I prefer the "wood" floors-whether actual wood or tile planking. I do not like the Pergo style flooring as it sounds like you are walking on hollow plastic.

Solid surface floors will make the room overall less dusty. I also think it would be easier for mousekeeping to maneuver a swiffer style mop that is lighter, has no cords to plug in, and is less bulky to slide under beds and furniture that will also lead to less damage causing by a bulky vacuum bumping into things. For guests, you can easily clean up a spill with a towel and then just call for replacement towels. It will also harbor less bacteria, less smells, and less mold spores.

If noise becomes an issue, they could easily add some decor disguised sound absorbing panels in the room. We had these at a previous workplace.

Either way, I rarely walk barefooted in hotel rooms and prefer to wear socks. We also bring a sound machine to drown out the typical sounds in a hotel that used to keep me awake until 2 am.....walking in the halls, doors closing, neighbors being loudly "amorous", toilets flushing, ....

I will say that posted picture of the Pop refurb is sadly sterile. I think it is more the furniture and walls though than the flooring.

not a huge carpet fan... too hard to keep clean. I prefer a tile floor over anything..

I like the room overall, but it does need some wall color. And maybe some wall art.
I prefer floors. I have asthma, and all tile throughout my house.

Carpets are disgusting! Specially in comercial settings like this were the clean up gets done when it is scheduled and not necessarily when needed.

I might be more neutral than my vote, but what I really didn't like was the echo sensation that I felt in our BCV villa. Other than that the hard floor looks a bit more modern.

Here are some photos of the prototype for the new Yacht Club rooms. I stayed here in December. I loved the new hard-surface floors, they felt so much cleaner than hotel carpeting. I liked the crisp, nautical color palette of the room as contrasted with the old YC styling (it felt very "grandma's house" to me.) The bath design was nice, with a big shower and pocket doors that could close the dressing area off from the rest of the room. Lots of USB ports plus a Keurig and microwave were nice touches. And the lighting was adjustable with a dimmer switch on the ceiling fixture that could take it from candle-glow to VERY bright.

I'm a fan of the new floors, these actually felt a little soft as if they are an engineered vinyl material. They were not slippery with wet feet.

yachtwide.jpg
yachtdesk.jpg
yachtcoffee.jpg

yachtdresser.jpg
yachtfloor.jpg
yachtbath.jpg yachtshower.jpg

The pictures looks nice, thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure about the microwave, though… who would need a microwave in a Disney room? Was that a request you made?

The ridged 'wood' floor at BWV feels a bit odd on bare feet but not enough for me to boycott or anything.

One bed? Really? So they are going to 1 bed? I don't ever plan to stay at Pop so don't follow the reno threads there but hard to believe they are going to 1 bed. At least that doesn't appear to be a King bed, maybe it is?

Oh, is that a coffee pot? That has to make some happy if so

There are 2 beds. A queen and a double murphy. the table is the murphy. and yes, that's a coffee pot. We'll have to wait and see if they include that in the final version.

While I agree that the Pop mock-ups do have a very institutional feel I actually quite like the layout. I travel with just my DS who ends up sharing my bed half the time or more anyway so with this layout we would have more open floor space. Not that we particularly need it per se, but I do like the idea.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to hard surface flooring. Carpet in hotels grosses me out. That being said, I NEVER walk around barefoot. Every. Not at home, not in hotel rooms, never. Bare feet on floors of any kind grosses me out so I always have slippers on my feet.

:sad2::guilty:
Looks like POP may be trying with their new hospital room design (if this is the final look).
That is a whole lot of laminate and vinyl ... and brown and white.

Not sure why they are keeping those dust gathering curtains when vinyl blinds would do? ;)

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540

Hospital chic... love it. :sad2: :guilty: Ugh. Don't ruin my favorite resort.

There are 2 beds. A queen and a double murphy. the table is the murphy. and yes, that's a coffee pot. We'll have to wait and see if they include that in the final version.

While I agree that the Pop mock-ups do have a very institutional feel I actually quite like the layout. I travel with just my DS who ends up sharing my bed half the time or more anyway so with this layout we would have more open floor space. Not that we particularly need it per se, but I do like the idea.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to hard surface flooring. Carpet in hotels grosses me out. That being said, I NEVER walk around barefoot. Every. Not at home, not in hotel rooms, never. Bare feet on floors of any kind grosses me out so I always have slippers on my feet.

I'm not a fan of the 1 bed and murphy bed. We usually split kids, one kid sleeps with mom, one kid sleeps with dad. Pop has always been my favorite resort but I won't stay in this room, if it comes to fruition.

The pictures looks nice, thanks for sharing!

I'm not sure about the microwave, though… who would need a microwave in a Disney room? Was that a request you made?

No, the microwave was just there. I guess it would be handy for heating leftovers taken back to the room... it's right over the fridge.

I voted for carpet, but it really depends on how it is done. The last time we stayed at a resort with tile flooring, it was ugly, cold and looked dirty. It was also very slippery when wet, so you had to be extremely careful getting out of the shower, now if it was a nice wood floor with some rugs, I would probably like it. I do worry about the increased noise, but it is for a short time really, so not sure it matters so much.

I voted for hard surface flooring, as someone in a manual wheelchair I feel like hotel rooms with carpet are hard for me to navigate, I loved the hard surface entryway into the room at the Grand Floridian, I wish the whole room would have been that way! I love the flooring at the YC in those pictures above (I also love the inclusion of the microwave and keurig), so I hope they make these changes to other deluxe resorts too!

I find the carpeting in the shops to be harder for me to navigate too, I wish everything was hard surface flooring, it'd be much more convenient for me! Hard surface flooring is what I'm used to at home though so I just tend to like it better, plus unless those hotel room carpets are steam cleaned after each guest then they aren't particularly clean but hard surfaces could be cleaned better and quicker I would think.

I voted for hard surface flooring, as someone in a manual wheelchair I feel like hotel rooms with carpet are hard for me to navigate, I loved the hard surface entryway into the room at the Grand Floridian, I wish the whole room would have been that way! I love the flooring at the YC in those pictures above (I also love the inclusion of the microwave and keurig), so I hope they make these changes to other deluxe resorts too!

I find the carpeting in the shops to be harder for me to navigate too, I wish everything was hard surface flooring, it'd be much more convenient for me! Hard surface flooring is what I'm used to at home though so I just tend to like it better, plus unless those hotel room carpets are steam cleaned after each guest then they aren't particularly clean but hard surfaces could be cleaned better and quicker I would think.

It never occured to me that hard floor rooms are more accessible to wheelchair users. I've never used an accessible room at WDW, though I've been in one accessible room at the Disney's Hotel New York at Disneyland Paris, and it was with carpet, like every other rooms. :(

A client of mine retired from installing flooring. He said that when removing carpet from homes it would weigh twice as much as when he put it in. He refused to use it in his house because they trap so much dirt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter