POLL: How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninja Mom

Attention People of Earth, I come in Peace...
It looks like some of the upcoming resort room remodels are replacing the carpet with hard surface flooring. I was wondering what readers thought about that. It seems like there are no shortage of opinions on the DIS Boards so weigh in.

Please remember that everyone has the right to an opinion so forgo the need to argue with, or correct other posters. Yeah sure they might be crazy but it's their crazy, so make like Anna and Elsa and let it go. And besides, we are all a little crazy in our own special way so just share YOUR opinion rather than get into a debate.

I didn't put other in the poll because if your thoughts do lean toward other it's probably best that you share that info in a post.

Please feel free to share your reasons yea or nay about carpets/the lack thereof in a post as well.

Thanks for participating and with much respect,
~Ninja Mom

I thought I would share my thoughts about the carpet removal in some Disney resort rooms.

I love the feel of carpet so I am not in favor of pulling them out and replacing them with hard surface flooring. I am also wondering how much noisier the room will be without the sound absorbing qualities of a carpet. This may not be as much of a factor since the room will still have curtains and bedding (unless in yet another cost saving move Disney decides to replace the duvets with "hard surface bedding", what ever that is ;) )

I also dislike the way the dust bunnies tend to blow into the corners and along the walls when you have hard surface flooring. On the one hand carpet sort of traps the dirt along the path where people walk, which makes cleaning easier but on the other hand it can be harder to clean a carpet because of the increased surface area involved with carpets (think about how the height of the pile adds to the surface area).

I think we've all seen how Disney has moved toward super speed cleaning resort rooms to decrease labor costs. I'm thinking that in addition to durability and cosmetic issues this reduced time for cleaning may be an additional reason that there is a trend towards hard surface flooring. But I have to wonder... if the dirt is migrating to the corners and edges more easily, it seems to me that this would be harder to reach for cleaning on a regular basis. I have checked into carpeted rooms that look like certain hard to get to areas along the edges have not seen a vacuuming since long ago. I'm wondering how much of an effort will be devoted to mopping the corners and edges where the dirt seems to land in a non carpeted room. I'm also thinking that since the emphasis is on speed cleaning, the floors will not even be mopped properly.

Then there is the sticky floor problem. That's not to say that carpets can't become sticky but in my opinion it's a lot more noticeable with hard floors that have not been cleaned properly because of time constraints in the name of speed.

I think that Disney should offer each guest in a hard surface floor room a complimentary pair of slipper if they request them. They have done this during some of my Club Level stays so it can be done. In the end, to me it all comes down to a guest's comfort level and I find carpet to be way more comfortable than hard flooring. Your mileage may vary.

~NM

The pictures I have seen do not look like ceramic, wood or even laminate. They look like vinyl. :sad2:

- I NEVER walk barefoot in hotel rooms, I pack thick socks, slippers etc. no matter what the floor.
- Carpeting insulates sound especially for the folks underneath of you.
- Carpeting gets vacuumed between guests or you can tell if they did not.
- Guarantee mousekeeping will hate it and the extra work it takes to keep it clean ... mopping the entire room now?
- This will slow turnovers of rooms and probably reduce rooms ready early.
- You won't know if the "vinyl" plank flooring has been mopped for sure unless you stick to it or see all the dirt around edges.
- Guarantee most rooms will not get mopped between guests, it's simply a lot more work.
- Used to stay at a high end Hilton Hotel at a favorite spot - last trip it had the vinyl planking. It was awful. Skid marks from black soles, dust and grime along edges and corners, loud and echoed. We will never stay there again.

PS There is nothing scarier than whats in the mattresses...............:crazy2:

Last edited:
For me it's not that big of a deal lol. I'm not like," I hate it, bring back the carpet!" But, I'm also not that crazy about the wood flooring.

The stuff used in our Boardwalk Villa seemed like Pergo, not vinyl.

It's what I am waiting to see ........ I would not be surprised if values and moderates got the vinyl.

The photos of the renovated rooms in POP and Coronado Springs both looked like vinyl.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Disney would cheap out on the replacement--something like dinky tile or laminate. So I'd prefer to keep the carpet unless they got something really nice to replace it.

I'd prefer wood floors - much nicer than carpet, however, I think noise would be an issue unless they had a lot of area rugs.

Carpets are gross. I would ger rid of every square foot of it in my own house if I had the money.

We have one room of it in our house and we are getting rid of it as soon as we can. Even to the point where we will likely start by taking it to the aubflooring, prepping and just painting it. Can't sell a house like that but we aren't selling, just living.

First hotel room with hard flooring i stayed in was at Disneyland. SO much cleaner. Run a wet swiffer over it and it's faster than vacuuming.

I would prefer it. Carpet gets so gross. I would prefer hard floors and to bring my swiffer so I now the floors are clean for kids to play on!

We had a fire in our home and the entire inside needed to be replaced. So, all of the floors, walls, and ceilings were redone. We were asked if we wanted the carpet replaced and had to choose between that and "wood". We chose "wood" but because of the terms of our insurance, we got carpet back. We didn't mind but friends of ours who own a ton of rental properties said "wood" was the best because it does absorb sound, it's easier to clean and there's almost no issues of stains. We accepted our carpet but then went to an offsite place at Disney World for Thanksgiving and had "wood" floors. We loved it. We didn't have to think about walking in with "wet feet" (we did dry off before we came in) and we didn't have to think about leaving things in the carpet. My husband goes to Ocean City, Maryland with his family every year for a week and he said that is what is needed there. So, our vote is we like it.

I hate carpet. But I'm a complete OCD germaphobe. They gross me out and I rarely walk barefoot in a hotel room because of it. When my kids play on the floor in a hotel room it makes me gag. I would be thrilled if they all went to wood/vinyl anything that isn't carpet.

When I first saw the picture of the new POP room I wondered if it was a carpet that was made to look like wood planks- I imagine wood flooring being very loud with excited kids running up and down above you! Carpet muffles a bit and is warmer. I don't actually mind walking around in my socks in a Disney resort room, but I noticed at CBR my socks got very dirty after a couple of days. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter