POLL: How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

How do you feel about resort rooms without carpets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer hard surface flooring because of the ick factor but I'm not sure about the noise. We have wood floors in our entire house but each room has an area rug, we replace them every year or so because they get gross. I get inexpensive ones so I don't feel like I'm wasting too much money. Not sure if the rooms will be mopping every day, it would be interesting to see if the rooms are cleaner but at least no one will have to worry about mystery stains on the carpet.

Tile especially seems to be the choice of tropical resorts I assume at least partly because of moisture.

It's definitely possible to have a nice room without carpet.

I have noticed that the majority of rental homes I've looked at for Florida seem to have tile throughout. I had assumed that was a matter of moisture and cleanliness as well as being cooler to walk on in the hot summer months.

So torn! From a cleanliness standpoint, I would lean to the hard surface flooring. From a noise level, standpoint, might miss the carpet. I'll be interested in hearing how it all plays out.

It's not that I don't like the carpets (although my allergist is in favour of no carpets) but I've stayed in hotels where the flooring was hardwood and it looked clean and modern.

I finally convinced DH to change the flooring in one of our bedrooms that we use as an office and spare room from carpet to tile. He was initially quite skeptical but now that it's done, he loves it. He was afraid that it would be too cold on the feet but it's not. We're now considering changing the master bedroom to tile. So I'd be quite happy to see them replace flooring from carpet to hardwood or tile.

I would prefer it. Carpet gets so gross. I would prefer hard floors and to bring my swiffer so I now the floors are clean for kids to play on!

As a mom with a child that has asthma I'm also not a big fan of hotel carpets. I imagine the Swiffer wet jets are what mousekeeping will use to clean the floors in between guests which is both a quick and efficient way to clean hard surface floors and also
a lot more sanitary and cost effective than vacuum cleaners.

Love it. Hate carpet. Don't have a fiber of it at home. Would be fine not having it in a hotel room.

The pictures I have seen do not look like ceramic, wood or even laminate. They look like vinyl. :sad2:
There are some very good vinyl wood plank like products out there. I wouldn't have any issue using them in my house at all. A friend did and unless she tells you what they are, you can't tell by looking

There are some very good vinyl wood plank like products out there. I wouldn't have any issue using them in my house at all. A friend did and unless she tells you what they are, you can't tell by looking

You can tell by looking. I've got several samples of very good quality I'm looking at right now. I am actually getting ready to install in my kitchen. Not thrilled but with my dogs more hardwood is not an option. I currently have laminate and don't like it. DH hates ceramic tile. We are at a stalemate with part of the renovation.

You can easily tell all surfaces from just looking at them, at least I can. My hope is it will become the background surface for the kitchen and not stand out. But it's not easy to clean and keep clean, part may be that it's not a smooth surface. And it scuffs and no guests are going to care if they scuff all over those floors. It also stains, so needs daily attention. Mousekeeping will tire very quickly of the maintenance. But it's an inexpensive option for Disney with the volume they buy, probably less than all their custom designed carpeting.

Also, you are not to use swifter wet mops on vinyl (plank), it ruins the shine/surface and leaves residue.

I'm not a fan of carpet in hotels, it's always that hard industrial pile so you might as well just have a hard surface. I never walk around my room without my shoes, I carry a cheap pair of flip flops for just that reason. I can see why they would be changing them and as someone else mentioned, Florida hotels tend to lean toward the tile/vinyl solution. My house has carpet in the bedrooms, hard woods in the living room and dining room, tile in the bathrooms, kitchen and laundry room so I'm all over the place. Had we built the house, I would probably have put hard woods in the master bedroom and possibly carpet in the upstairs rooms. It does cut down on the dust on the furniture since it traps it all. We finished out our basement after we moved in and we have vinyl tile that looks like wood in the hot tub room, the bathroom and the entry room. We left the closets concrete since the doors are closed. My honey's office (which he never uses) and my work out room are all carpeted since I thought it would be easier for me to jump around on carpet. I just use a damp mop on the basement vinyl.

Why don't we just make the rooms out of completely hard sanitized surfaces and call it a day. Sarcasm intended.

Why don't we just make the rooms out of completely hard sanitized surfaces and call it a day. Sarcasm intended.

Looks like POP may be trying with their new hospital room design (if this is the final look).
That is a whole lot of laminate and vinyl ... and brown and white.

Not sure why they are keeping those dust gathering curtains when vinyl blinds would do? ;)

image-jpeg.172366

image-jpeg.172540

One bed? Really? So they are going to 1 bed? I don't ever plan to stay at Pop so don't follow the reno threads there but hard to believe they are going to 1 bed. At least that doesn't appear to be a King bed, maybe it is?

You can tell by looking. I've got several samples of very good quality I'm looking at right now. I am actually getting ready to install in my kitchen. Not thrilled but with my dogs more hardwood is not an option. I currently have laminate and don't like it. DH hates ceramic tile. We are at a stalemate with part of the renovation.

You can easily tell all surfaces from just looking at them, at least I can. My hope is it will become the background surface for the kitchen and not stand out. But it's not easy to clean and keep clean, part may be that it's not a smooth surface. And it scuffs and no guests are going to care if they scuff all over those floors. It also stains, so needs daily attention. Mousekeeping will tire very quickly of the maintenance. But it's an inexpensive option for Disney with the volume they buy, probably less than all their custom designed carpeting.

Also, you are not to use swifter wet mops on vinyl (plank), it ruins the shine/surface and leaves residue.
You have better eye than me I guess. I can't tell my looking. Feeling yes, but not looking. I would have sworn what she put in was tile. It even has grout lines (to the eye, if you feel them you know it's not grout)

One bed? Really? So they are going to 1 bed? I don't ever plan to stay at Pop so don't follow the reno threads there but hard to believe they are going to 1 bed. At least that doesn't appear to be a King bed, maybe it is?

I'd have to dig but I believe that cabinet the desk is attached to is a murphy bed. I even think someone said it would be one queen (to address complaints about doubles) and one double. It just looks very uninviting to me. Love POP but if all the rooms look like this I will be going elsewhere.

You have better eye than me I guess. I can't tell my looking. Feeling yes, but not looking. I would have sworn what she put in was tile. It even has grout lines (to the eye, if you feel them you know it's not grout)

I wouldn't even be considering it if we had any intention of putting the house on the market any time soon. I don't think it will help resale. Around here only real hardwood or maybe tile like a travertine would be acceptable to buyers ....

Not a fan of the way the room at Pop looks. Very sterile.

We liked the flooring at BWV without the carpet. I do think an area rug in the LR would soften it up. I think BCV did this.

I like the way they made the entry to the studio hard surface but the area by the bed and couch carpet. They also have carpet in the bedroom of the 1BR. IMO, hard surface everywhere might feel too cold. You could hear more noise from above coming from the living room area.

ETA: just looked at BCV pictures, and don't see an area rug.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter