Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

I think proximity of CBR to Epcot and DHS is too much to ignore. I think being one of the oldest properties in the swamp the whole concept of DVC and deluxe, moderate, and value hotels wasn't even in the wildest dreams of park planners when CBR was built. I think the MK / monorail resorts have gotten all the love from DVC in recent years and now it's time for the Epcot area to get some love. I think in today's Disney they don't waste prime real estate on anything but deluxe accommodations which they can charge top dollar for. I think a tower or multiple buildings on the sight and rumored major face lift of Epcot after DHS is complete means 100's millions if not billions in infrastructure changes to the whole Epcot area. I think there is no way they don't include improved transportation or park access to the improvements. I think Disney would rather stick with the DVC model that they know works than blow it up on any type of lower tier system.

Maybe you're on to something. If this is a DVC property, perhaps this CBR expansion lays the ground work so that DHS and Epcot can connect to it, but won't be permitted until Epcot is overhauled. Maybe that's the reason we're not seeing evidence of it now.

I think that could be it - makes sense .... but only if this is the first step. There is that open area currently in-between the Hollywood Studios parking lot and Caribbean Beach so perhaps that could be a new resort entirely (either all DVC or partly) and then you can add some form of of a separate transportation loop that goes directly to both EPCOT and DHS, maybe include Art of Animation which is then right there and raise the prices of that resort a little bit too

You lost me at "Growing Attraction of Downtown Disney" - the new Mall feel of Disney Springs is even more of a turnoff to me than the old version. My wife - who's the shopper in the family feels the same way. When we were walking around down there last trip it seemed empty. I mean, I understand our three bodies are a small portion of the attraction - but with continued lack of nightlife, I find DS/DTD to be the lesser of what it was 15 years ago.

Are people really chomping at the bit to be near there? To me it's more like "Oh well, I'm at SSR, at least I can walk over to DS once."

It's definitely less of a destination than it was 15 years ago with Pleasure Island and stuff like that but it is definitely a lot better, in my mind, that 3-5 years ago as there is more night time entertainment, much better restaurants, and just nicer to walk around

I think they have made it a real attractive place for locals for sure. The WDW resort guests? Not at all. The placement of the bus stop(s) for the resort guests - while no doubt designed to make everyone first walk through the standard shopping mall area - makes it a great hassle and inconvenience. Even if I wanted to go to the Marketplace (I have little interest in the other sections of DTD/DS) for Wolfgang Puck's, World of Disney, and some of the other Disney-centric shops...it's not worth the effort. Those places are a solid 20 minute walk from where the bus drops you off.

Aren't the bus stops smack in the middle of the two parking garages? To me that makes it a positive as the guest can access all parts of DS easily.

The speculation is fun on this - especially thinking as to how they could make the park accessible. Whenever anyone says, "they'll just sell the resort for less points" I just think "they are not going to do that. If they think they can sell for more points with park access - they will find a way."

I think this is key. Even assuming decent park access, *do* they think they can continue to sell 200+ point contracts at near (or even over) $200/pt?

I think that's why I have trouble giving up the "moderate DVC" concept completely, even given all its problems. I just don't see the value in DVC at current retail price, even at the more popular deluxe resorts. But then, I wouldn't pay $600/night for a hotel room, either.

Don't get me wrong - I know this is my own bias speaking. Obviously plenty of people are quite happy to fork over tens of thousands of dollars, mostly borrowed, for slightly cheaper access to overpriced hotels that they'll probably stop visiting in 10-15 years anyway. It's my own incredulity that makes me think that well has to dry up eventually; I don't have any actual data to support it. And as you said, the only thing that actually matters here is whether Disney thinks they can keep selling at that price. Whether or not that has any bearing to reality remains to be seen.

I am frequently surprised by what other people are willing to pay for things (case in point: $600 cabanas), not to mention how many people are apparently able to afford (or at least self-justify) those purchases. So I don't suppose a deluxe DVC at a moderate resort with mediocre park access will surprise me any more than the consumer behaviour I've already seen.

NB: The most popular/plausible park access theory so far (not attributing to any particular individual) seems to be some form of boat transport to IG. Does anyone over the age of 8 really consider boats to be "good" park access?

Aren't the bus stops smack in the middle of the two parking garages? To me that makes it a positive as the guest can access all parts of DS easily.

Not that we should spend this thread arguing about the utility of DS - but I think having bus stops at either end of DS makes a lot more sense than putting them in the middle. The district is so large, I would think a lot of people would pick one direction or the other, and by the time they get to the end and come back will be too tired to trek the whole length of the area. Now it drops you off in the least interesting part of DS. (The outlet mall part.)

First of all, you need to know the layout really well to know which garage is closest to what. If you want to go to World of Disney and then a movie, it's quite the trek. You can take the water ferries between areas, but they're so slow you're better off walking. The bus stops, while in between the two garages, don't exactly make them right in the middle of all the action.

I am frequently surprised by what other people are willing to pay for things (case in point: $600 cabanas), not to mention how many people are apparently able to afford (or at least self-justify) those purchases. So I don't suppose a deluxe DVC at a moderate resort with mediocre park access will surprise me any more than the consumer behaviour I've already seen.

I'm with you on this - I cannot believe what Disney can charge, and how people continue to pay it. Admittedly I am to a degree one of those people, but we purchased DVC through resale and paid $74 a point three years ago at AKV. People are happily (or at least willingly) paying 2.5 times that for the Poly and it boggles my mind. It will even more boggle my mind when they pay that for Wilderness Lodge.

Ok maybe that's true. It's funny because every building I've stayed at in POR has an elevator.
I've only stayed in alligator bayou so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe the mansion rooms have elevators?

I think they have made it a real attractive place for locals for sure. The WDW resort guests? Not at all. The placement of the bus stop(s) for the resort guests - while no doubt designed to make everyone first walk through the standard shopping mall area - makes it a great hassle and inconvenience. Even if I wanted to go to the Marketplace (I have little interest in the other sections of DTD/DS) for Wolfgang Puck's, World of Disney, and some of the other Disney-centric shops...it's not worth the effort. Those places are a solid 20 minute walk from where the bus drops you off.

Unless you are at Port Orleans or something it is definitely a challenge to go there just for a meal or something. I still think it is something nice to do on a off day during your vacation or something but definitely not the destination it was when Pleasure Island was in full swing

I've only stayed in alligator bayou so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe the mansion rooms have elevators?
Yes, this is correct. The Magnolia Bend section (mansions) have elevators, the Alligator Bayou section does not have them. All of the buildings at French Quarter have elevators.

I think it is the mansions do and the bayou houses do not

Description of the mansions: "Each building consists of a central three-story structure and four two-story wings. The elevators are located in the central part of the three-story sections, next to the main entrance."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter