Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

Unless you are at Port Orleans or something it is definitely a challenge to go there just for a meal or something. I still think it is something nice to do on a off day during your vacation or something but definitely not the destination it was when Pleasure Island was in full swing

I think this topic needs a thread all of it's own. IMO, the bus stops should have been in the middle of "restaurant central" and then let people shop before/after dinner, but where they are now I dislike completely. You're right, unless you're at a DS resort access hotel (POR/FQ, OKW, SSR) it is a bit of a hassle. I liked the old bus system better where you could be dropped off at Marketplace or West side.

Your overthinking it. First they aren't going to do that. DVC rooms are different (mostly) with the 1- and 2-bedrooms. They won't build them as hotel rooms first.

IDK _ you guys are starting to make me question. Is this just a resort add-on/change? @lockedoutlogic is on board, and he's been talking up Disney wanting out of the hotel business for the last 5 years.

I haven't seen this article linked yet:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...-plans-filed-for-caribbean-beach-construction

They point out that the retention pond would take out 3 buildings from Martinque - that's 9 of 33 buildings that would come down. There are supposedly 2,112 guest rooms at the resort - 64 rooms per building. You take out 9 buildings - that's 576 rooms they are planning to remove or 27% of the resort. That seems like a lot.

However, this is not dissimilar to what they did with the Poly. They took 360 rooms out of a 1,207 room resort - or 30 % of the inventory.

And I keep thinking:
Tower = fireworks view = higher point rooms = DVC.

It just doesn't make sense to me to knock down moderate rooms and replace them with more moderate rooms, even suites.

It's also about having DVC absorb some of the hotels operating costs. You use the common systems like housekeeping and groundskeeping to reduce the operating cost of your hotel by having the DVC owners share the expense of it.

Plus - this has been rumored as the next DVC after Copper Creek for like 2.5 years. I remember when Poly was still under construction that's when the

No - I opened my mind and now I've closed it again - this is all about a DVC unit. How it's going to work, whether a "separate" resort from CBR (most likely) and whether a link to the parks (arguably less likely) I just don't see it as anything but DVC.

That means Blucher is in the woods

Your overthinking it. First they aren't going to do that. DVC rooms are different (mostly) with the 1- and 2-bedrooms. They won't build them as hotel rooms first.

IDK _ you guys are starting to make me question. Is this just a resort add-on/change? @lockedoutlogic is on board, and he's been talking up Disney wanting out of the hotel business for the last 5 years.

I haven't seen this article linked yet:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resort...-plans-filed-for-caribbean-beach-construction

They point out that the retention pond would take out 3 buildings from Martinque - that's 9 of 33 buildings that would come down. There are supposedly 2,112 guest rooms at the resort - 64 rooms per building. You take out 9 buildings - that's 576 rooms they are planning to remove or 27% of the resort. That seems like a lot.

However, this is not dissimilar to what they did with the Poly. They took 360 rooms out of a 1,207 room resort - or 30 % of the inventory.

And I keep thinking:
Tower = fireworks view = higher point rooms = DVC.

It just doesn't make sense to me to knock down moderate rooms and replace them with more moderate rooms, even suites.

It's also about having DVC absorb some of the hotels operating costs. You use the common systems like housekeeping and groundskeeping to reduce the operating cost of your hotel by having the DVC owners share the expense of it.

Plus - this has been rumored as the next DVC after Copper Creek for like 2.5 years. I remember when Poly was still under construction that's when the

No - I opened my mind and now I've closed it again - this is all about a DVC unit. How it's going to work, whether a "separate" resort from CBR (most likely) and whether a link to the parks (arguably less likely) I just don't see it as anything but DVC.

We're all overthinking it, but that's part of the fun.

They took 30% of Poly offline because there was 30% of Poly available to take offline. I think that may be true with CBR as it stands. It's the least popular moderate and certainly could use a redo due to its size. It makes sense to knock them down if the footprint you have doesn't work for what you want to create.

I'm not saying it isn't DVC - I hope it's not DVC.

We're all overthinking it, but that's part of the fun.

They took 30% of Poly offline because there was 30% of Poly available to take offline. I think that may be true with CBR as it stands. It's the least popular moderate and certainly could use a redo due to its size. It makes sense to knock them down if the footprint you have doesn't work for what you want to create.

I'm not saying it isn't DVC - I hope it's not DVC.

Caribbean had the highest annual occupancy rate for about 15 years...did you know that?

Always packed.

So what happened since the elves sailed west with Frodo?

Well...they raised the prices a poop-ton...which can never be ignored on any of theses discussions.

But with that...I believe...the drastic flaws and lack of services became
More obvious to the to the consumer. Remember, Caribbean was a prototype...the largest/most ambitious development there by far. And so in demand that they immediately ordered six more buildings (Trinidad south).

But they also made some mistakes that were corrected at port, Dixie, allstars, Coronado and pop. The detached checkins were a mistake. The localized bus stops a mistake...the sprawling layout...the different facilities laid out in too many logistics areas...not complying with the ada (drafted but not yet implemented)...all smoothed out later.

So fast forward 30 years...does that scream "prime spot for a dvc"...knowing this? Even if it's a compound like the Saigon embassy?

I'm not fully "on board" with any of these theories. I just think that an attitude that anywhere is good for a dvc tower is gonna make all the hotels more expensive and ultimately suck more...that I am on board with.

im actually here right now and there have been rooms full of dis operational/corporate folks. My gut says they're going to create a convention facility here like at CSR.

As an aside, there was a large area of parking blocked off near Aruba all week and then suddenly today a tent went up in that area, they also hastily did touch up paint to this building (which is one of the nearest to the new tent.) I can't wait to see who is in that tent tomorrow. It's driving me nuts not to know!

im actually here right now and there have been rooms full of dis operational/corporate folks. My gut says they're going to create a convention facility here like at CSR.

As an aside, there was a large area of parking blocked off near Aruba all week and then suddenly today a tent went up in that area, they also hastily did touch up paint to this building (which is one of the nearest to the new tent.) I can't wait to see who is in that tent tomorrow. It's driving me nuts not to know!
Caribbean has been a convention hotel for a long time and if memory serves there's a large business convention in January each year...

Last edited:

The permits don't say convention building though. This new build is a tower of guest rooms. A convention building wouldn't look like what's in the permits either. They still could do that I guess but it's Low on the list of possibilities right now.

The permits don't say convention building though. This new build is a tower of guest rooms. A convention building wouldn't look like what's in the permits either. They still could do that I guess but it's Low on the list of possibilities right now.

Plus. I think conventions are more centered around the deluxes. Corporate expense accounts and all.

I'm not fully "on board" with any of these theories. I just think that an attitude that anywhere is good for a dvc tower is gonna make all the hotels more expensive and ultimately suck more...that I am on board with.

I am not in any way suggesting its a GOOD location for DVC - I still don't get it. I just believe that's what it is.

I don't know that that makes sense either. Too sprawling and its STILL a problem with no access to entertainment. They already have a moderate convention center, and three deluxe convention centers (YC, Contemp, GF) not to mention Swolphin. Of course, the rumor that the Contemporary convention center could be taken out for DVC may make sense that one would go elsewhere. However, the building design doesn't look like a convention center either. Convention centers are typically broad and grand - not narrow.

Plus. I think conventions are more centered around the deluxes. Corporate expense accounts and all.

It's very unlikely they add convention center space at this point. They kinda overexpanded the space in the 90's and don't seem to keen on adding that type of overhead.

If anything...I think we could see the contemporary convention center get replaced/repurposed.

The big money is in schlepping off park hours for private convention functions...since they don't care about park hours anymore that would be the way to go anyway.

I am not in any way suggesting its a GOOD location for DVC - I still don't get it. I just believe that's what it is.

I don't know that that makes sense either. Too sprawling and its STILL a problem with no access to entertainment. They already have a moderate convention center, and three deluxe convention centers (YC, Contemp, GF) not to mention Swolphin. Of course, the rumor that the Contemporary convention center could be taken out for DVC may make sense that one would go elsewhere. However, the building design doesn't look like a convention center either. Convention centers are typically broad and grand - not narrow.
Also there is speculation Coronado is getting convention expansion because permits were filed there to move retention ponds.

Caribbean has been a convention hotel for a long time and if memory serves there's a large business convention in January each year...

Coronado is for sure, but Caribbean is not, at least not now. One of the major pixie duster complaints about Coronado is the "business people" ruining the feel of their vacation. The only problem it causes me is a longer line in the food court and the bar.

You've got the two mixed up. Coronado is the big convention hotel and has the business class rooms. Caribbean beach does not.

At the very least, this topic is different than many here......no real consensus as to what is happening. Usually this group is pretty good at predicting things.

So now we don't just have to trust the shovels. This will be an interesting one to watch, as it may foreshadow the disney lodging strategy for the next decade.

At the very least, this topic is different than many here......no real consensus as to what is happening. Usually this group is pretty good at predicting things.

So now we don't just have to trust the shovels. This will be an interesting one to watch, as it may foreshadow the disney lodging strategy for the next decade.
Well I think everyone agrees and it's evident based on the permits that a new build is happening. This new build is going to be a tower with rooms. What we don't know is whether it's DVC, a new moderate DVC, regular rooms, will it have park access, etc. There are so many variables on that part.

You are correct that know one know - but it also ignores the fact that DVC insiders have been talking about "DVC at Caribbean Beach" for at least 2 years...

I decided to look up the article that I first read about it - this was written AUGUST 22, 2014. I am quoting several paragraphs of the article word-for-word, the underlining is my emphasis.

But the resort currently receiving the most attention is Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. Caribbean Beach would not be a "Moderate DVC" in that no current guest rooms would be sold as timeshare villas. While some argue that a lower-priced "Moderate DVC" would make the program more accessible to budget-conscious owners, expect DVC to continue pursuing the Deluxe pricing model as long as they have buyers.

The plan designers are currently pursuing involves completely demolishing three or four of the resort's six "islands"--at least half of the resort--and building a DVC villa tower. The proposed design could see a DVC villa building up to 7 stories tall at Caribbean Beach.

As part of the Caribbean Beach Resort redesign, one source indicates that Disney is considering extension of neighboring waterways to provide boat service between Caribbean Beach and the Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios theme parks.

Some rebranding of the resort may even occur if Disney feels the need to distance itself from that "Moderate" label associated with the Caribbean Beach Resort name.

The link to the entire article is http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/other-proposed-resorts/2684-the-next-decade-of-dvc

Now, I will admit the does mention several other options for the next DVC. However, I also will point out that two things mentioned above are part of the plans - demolishing part of the resort and building a tower. This author also correctly put out the DVC expansion at Wilderness Lodge in advance of it actually happening - this article was written many months before construction started there.

When people say "a convention center" or "suites" that is purely conjecture. The DVC idea has a little more heft behind it.

Coronado is for sure, but Caribbean is not, at least not now. One of the major pixie duster complaints about Coronado is the "business people" ruining the feel of their vacation. The only problem it causes me is a longer line in the food court and the bar.

You've got the two mixed up. Coronado is the big convention hotel and has the business class rooms. Caribbean beach does not.

Nope...i guess I didn't ask the question right.

Caribbean has large blocks of conventioneers booking rooms through their group bookings and has for 20+ years. Why build a convention center onsite when it's good enough to bring in lots of easy bucks off conventions in other places?

Jeez...does anyone have the impression that I don't know what's at every hotel...more specifically where the money flows?

I used to get paid to stare at it...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter