Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

That's square in an ugly service area with access roads filled with trucks all day.

Gotta think about this realistically.

Looking at the aerial view the only real option would be another aqueduct over EP Resorts Blvd and a dock between ESPN Club and the bridge.

Epcot is already screening off backstage, in that area, from the Boardwalk's views.

Indeed, we own at AKL, and bought resale at a steal, before they changed the perk access.

But I will say this, DVC is addressing the OKW issue. Isn't the resort up for a complete overhaul ? I mean, I love the location and the grounds, but the rooms are just ... ugh. If they redo them, and well, would completely change things. Esp with the growing attraction of Downtown Disney.

Indeed...25 year old hotels always show there stress and wear.

That's part of the gig and Disney knows it. At some point you have to strip it down and literally rebuild. They've done it at the older resorts before...they'll do it at the DVC's as well...or take them offline when the contracts expire...only two options.

Looking at the aerial view the only real option would be another aqueduct over EP Resorts Blvd and a dock between ESPN Club and the bridge.

Epcot is already screening off backstage, in that area, from the Boardwalk's views.

Agree...you would have to tie it in the crescent lake to allow mgm access as well.

That sounds expensive, don't it?

I think you missed a lot of the discussion.

The BLT bridge is enough to go over the road, and maybe even the canal as well.

But yes it would be a path to and from the bridge. Similar to the new bridges at D Springs.

Nope, I didn't miss the discussion. You need the bridge to remain a bridge all the way across the backstage area of Epcot. One of my Disney jobs had me in that backstage area on a routine basis. It is a busy area, with near constant vehicle traffic. A ground-level path would never work.

Nope, I didn't miss the discussion. You need the bridge to remain a bridge all the way across the backstage area of Epcot. One of my Disney jobs had me in that backstage area on a routine basis. It is a busy area, with near constant vehicle traffic. A ground-level path would never work.

Yep...maybe they'll believe it if someone other than me says it...

Lockedout Mab and rteetz actually have me swaying from my belief this must be DVC. BUT I an sticking to it for now.... if only because of that leaked road map from a few years ago that has Poly, Wilderness, and CBR on it .... the first two have come true.

Though a pop expansion into AoA could always happen or have happened again. Wouldn't be the first time Disney thought they wouldn't see an immediate return and ditched or reworked a project.

No, the discussion you missed was the length of the BLT bridge would span the road and most of the canal, period.

If DVC hadn't already made a bridge of that length for a tower (and not even mandatory), I would not have brought it up. They certainly could make a longer one.

Never said anything about a path working or not, or what it would entail, valid discussion and indeed a hurdle.

They could take a bit further over the service road, then convert the lot, something I said would rather be a new attraction or land.

If that lot could never be used for anything than what it's currently used for, then agree it won't work.

Nobody said any of this was indeed happening. And a lot of us don't care which way things go. Will see what product is eventually offered. It's not hard.

Last edited:

No, the discussion you missed was the length of the BLT bridge would span the road and most of the canal, period.

If DVC hadn't already made a bridge of that length for a tower (and not even mandatory), I would not have brought it up. They certainly could make a longer one.

Never said anything about a path working or not, or what it would entail, valid discussion and indeed a hurdle.

They could take a bit further over the service road, then convert the lot, something I said would rather be a new attraction or land.

If that lot could never be used for anything than what it's currently used for, then agree it won't work.

Nobody said any of this was indeed happening. And a lot of us don't care which way things go. Will see what product is eventually offered. It's not hard.

Jade you have made what I think are fair arguments here.

I mean, look at total points at different places, if this is the size of Beach Club (which will depend largely on how many stories it is, but it looks a little bigger to my eye), thats 3 million points, Board Walk is 5 Million, BLT is almost 6. So lets say this is between BC and BW at 4 million points.

If building a bridge Changes the price they can sell at from 140 to 160 (or 150 to 170, or even 160 - which I think they are selling direct contracts at places like akv for atm to 180), a $20 difference in the initial buy in alone makes a difference of around $80 Million, add in the potential increased Dues, I mean, even .50 per point difference in dues would bring in 2 million per year for 50 years, another $100 Million. $1 would mean $4 million a year, $200 Million over 50 (and of course more since the future dues are an effect of a multiplier applied to the starting dues point).

Just saying that even IF this is a big and costly project, to me the money makes sense on it. Add in what they can up charge room at CBR if they too have the walking access to EPCOT (even if it is a bit of a hike, but heck even on the "preferred" rooms) and suddenly you start seeing some REAL money pouring in.

THat being said, this logic might also apply if these ARE just family suites or something ...

And again, THAT being said, we also know that Disney hasn't exactly been awesome lately of looking at long term financial impacts over short term, but rather have been making very short sighted decisions...

Last edited:
Jade you have made what I think are fair arguments here.

I mean, look at total points at different places, if this is the size of Beach Club (which will depend largely on how many stories it is, but it looks a little bigger to my eye), thats 3 million points, Board Walk is 5 Million, BLT is almost 6. So lets say this is between BC and BW at 4 million points.

If building a bridge Changes the price they can sell at from 140 to 160 (or 150 to 170, or even 160 - which I think they are selling direct contracts at places like akv for atm to 180), a $20 difference in the initial buy in alone makes a difference of around $80 Million, add in the potential increased Dues, I mean, even .50 per point difference in dues would bring in 2 million per year for 50 years, another $100 Million. $1 would mean $4 million a year, $200 Million over 50 (and of course more since the future dues are an effect of a multiplier applied to the starting dues point).

Just saying that even IF this is a big and costly project, to me the money makes sense on it. Add in what they can up charge room at CBR if they too have the walking access to EPCOT (even if it is a bit of a hike, but heck even on the "preferred" rooms) and suddenly you start seeing some REAL money pouring in.

THat being said, this logic might also apply if these ARE just family suites or something ...

And again, THAT being said, we also know that Disney hasn't exactly been awesome lately of looking at long term financial impacts over short term, but rather have been making very short sighted decisions...
Agreed.

The new lands show promise though, and some DVC have been pretty amazing additions IMO.

BLT didn't even need a bridge, much less to be built at all. AKL has an amazing pool for a quiet and savanna views, GF and Poly were never even on my radar, bungalows and cabins, improved quiet pools. Nothing would surprise me actually.

Again, what happens at CBR will simply end up as another option for me and my family.

Last edited:
Indeed, we own at AKL, and bought resale at a steal, before they changed the perk access.

But I will say this, DVC is addressing the OKW issue. Isn't the resort up for a complete overhaul ? I mean, I love the location and the grounds, but the rooms are just ... ugh. If they redo them, and well, would completely change things. Esp with the growing attraction of Downtown Disney.

Didn't they re-do the rooms at OKW around 2010?

People keep talking about a DVC "suite" on this thread. I am not sure everyone completely understand the DVC model. With the exception of the Poly, DVC resorts are made up of typically studios, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom units. Often the 2-bedroom is a "lock-off" which means it's a studio + 1-bedroom with a door in between, so that they can be occupied together or separately. The 1-bedroom is more like a "suite" concept, with a separate living/dining area and a larger bathroom area. It's twice the size of a studio, and roughly twice the cost, but usually doesn't sleep anymore than a studio does. (At some resorts - the studios actually will accomodate more people than the 1-bedroom.) Bay Lake Tower for instance has 148 dedicated 2-bedrooms and 133 2-bedroom lock-offs. Beacuse of the popularity of the studios, the lock-offs are more than likely split up.

So yes, if it is a DVC property, there will more than likely be numerous "suites" as part of the property.

The speculation is fun on this - especially thinking as to how they could make the park accessible. Whenever anyone says, "they'll just sell the resort for less points" I just think "they are not going to do that. If they think they can sell for more points with park access - they will find a way."

I do totally agree that this will NOT share buses with CBR. No way. We've stayed at CBR twice and really enjoyed it, but the worst part about the place is the bus system.

You lost me at "Growing Attraction of Downtown Disney" - the new Mall feel of Disney Springs is even more of a turnoff to me than the old version. My wife - who's the shopper in the family feels the same way. When we were walking around down there last trip it seemed empty. I mean, I understand our three bodies are a small portion of the attraction - but with continued lack of nightlife, I find DS/DTD to be the lesser of what it was 15 years ago.

Are people really chomping at the bit to be near there? To me it's more like "Oh well, I'm at SSR, at least I can walk over to DS once."

Project is supposed to take up to two YEARS. Like this is a complete refurbishment...

Another thing that points to DVC:

Remember, the construction at WL is about a 2-year job. Completely tore out a pool, building new restaurants / cabins, renovating rooms. Most DVCs seem to take about 2 years start to finish. They don't drag their feet on DVC like they do with park construction - because they always need 1 or 2 resorts to sell for DVC. Poly will sell out sometime in 2018, I'm sure they are projecting Rock Ridge (WLV 2.0) to sell out by 2019-2020. It's 2017 now, means they need another DVC coming on-line by 2019. (Remember, DVC only makes money by selling resort points ---> this means they can't NOT have units in place to sell. Unless we hear about another location being constructed in the next few months - this is probably it.)

I'm talking rack rate suites...more overpriced than art of animation..

Nothing to do when dvc. That's a guess.

The things I can't quite get passed are these.

Why would you connect to Epcot, when you have DHS nearly as close? DHS is getting all the love with the next rounds of construction, yet they don't have a lodging unit on or near. If that were the goal Barbados wouldn't be my first choice in the CBR complex to build at. Yet Epcot is lack luster at best at least right now.

I can't reconcile the location unless Barbados is in need of destruction anyway, or that spot gives them an advantage. Aruba, Jamaica and the open plot are all closer to DHS as well as options that utilize the international gateway.

Barbados is arguably the worst spot in the resort. South Trinidad is a long ways from everything but it has the "pirate" rooms. So if you rebuild Barbados(as a non DVC), you a can add services removing some of the location based issues in the resort. Put it different style rooms, and suddenly it's something a little more unique in a mod. Something that make the few minutes extra on buses worth the little hassle.

I think building rooms that accommodate a family of 5, with a moderate price structure could be a good move.

I'm talking rack rate suites...more overpriced than art of animation..

Nothing to do when dvc. That's a guess.

Yes - OK. I do realize you and some others were suggesting that as well. I guess that's a possibility. But, "value" suites already run $250 - $350 a night. Does Disney think there's a big market for "moderate" suites that they would likely charge $500 a night for?

Even so, I don't buy that they would tear down existing buildings for this - they would use the existing Buildings and refurb them to make two rooms as one.

The CURRENT top of the world lounge isn't that popular!!!

Oh, but it could be and it really chaffs my butt that it's not. If they would improve the MENU - like a late night FOOD menu that place would be a hit. As it stands now, you can get some really crappy bar food items for a high price, but if you actually wanted a burger, no go. You have to leave and go to Contempo Café. All they need to do is serve a small menu that is similar to Contempo Café and I bet no one leaves the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter