• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PHM15: A Frozen Cupcake Celebration & Carnage as No Cupcake is Left Behind

Love the Little Mermaid room! That is probably the cutest room I've seen on Disney property so far.

Love the Little Mermaid room! That is probably the cutest room I've seen on Disney property so far.

I have to totally agree...Disney sure hit a home run with this room. I would love to see what the other themed rooms at AoA look like and someday I shall!

I love all of the Little Mermaid pictures!

Having stayed there twice, I agree with pretty much all of your ratings. We've actually never had those plumbing problems (although we had them at All-Star Sports on this trip). And we split hair and makeup - one did it by the vanity, the other by the table (I can do hair/makeup anywhere with a mirror and an outlet for my iron).
The rooms with two beds actually have double beds, not queen beds, so there's a bit more room .. but not much. We love the little mermaid rooms because we really don't spend much time in the room, and when we do, we like that it screams Disney. I think that if you're looking for relaxing, the values are definitely not right for you.

I prefer the calmness of the moderate & deluxe hotels. The values are cute, but just so over the top done & I don't know if I could do more than a night at one. Like you said, I don't know that I could ever feel relaxed there.

That bathroom did look a bit small...and the shower seemed dark with the work on the wall.

We asked for Little Mermaid and we got Little Mermaid. The décor of the room is just what you would think…Disney throws up Little Mermaid.
I really love the themeing at AoA - but one thing it doesn't do is subtlty

Bummer about the bathroom - weird that the toilet felt like it was going to suck in the entire bathroom - yet in actually had trouble sucking down anything. :confused3

That fight sounds crazy! Glad you finally got some magic with the cashiers admiring your cupcake ears. I was at Art of Animation all weekend and those 2 cupcakes were the only ones I saw. We weren't in the food court everyday, but we did look in the dessert case every time we went in.
That is a lot of Little Mermaid theming! Even the carpet is little mermaid!

I'm loving another running report. I'm not sure as another teacher how to make a WDW run work since I don't fly...I mean I don't fly :sick:. I have too few personal days to take time off during the school year. The Elsa references had me dying laughing. I "Hate" chocolate but I'd give anything for some if Elsa could stop all this snow nonsense. Can't wait to find out how your run turns out! Next time my students want to do a Flat Stanley project I'll know where to send them:)

Joining in! :cool1: My dad recently threw out the idea of going to Disney if I'll run one of the races with him. I do not run.. I will run for Disney!
Can't wait to see the experience through your eyes, what a fun group!

Aw! I'm sorry your experience in Little Mermaid at AoA had bathroom issues. Being a party of 6 when we stayed there, we stayed in a Cars Land suite and the two bathrooms and extra space were perfect! I can imagine one bathroom in a smaller room would not be a cake walk for two adults. Weird about the bathroom issue... that is something I don't recall being a problem where we were last May. However, we were ground floor... not sure if that would have made a difference or not. Just thinking out loud!

I just realized I wasn't subscribed to your thread. *DOH!*

We stayed at AoA in 2013 in the Lion King section. Loved it!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. :)

I can't believe that fight getting off ME. I tried really hard to be patient with my kids and really enjoy the trip and not let unmagical moments spoil anything. I have seen too many parents having meltdowns and screamig at kids, etc. just have fun people!!

Uh.. don't make that plural.

TWEEDLE. As in singular.

As you recall, I was busy finding a seat... and suddenly, I'm outside.................
Ok, bar kicking out was not mentioned! Someone said some "twerking" princess was kicked out!! Catching up on all the fun

Another Stowaway Appears Along with Reminders from Elsa
The flight to Dallas was short and uneventful, as it is always but little did we know that we had something new waiting when we walked of the plane. FINALLY, Love Field renovations were done, actually a complete overhaul and it looked like an entire new airport. I wish I would have thought to stop and take a picture because it was BEAUTIFUL, but we were in too much of a rush to find a bathroom! With the first basic priority taken care of it was then time to find something to eat, since we were going to have a 2 hour layover and then a very late arrival into Orlando. Bet you can’t guess what all Texas girls gravitate to instantly….
Plus the beverage of choice to wash down this mound of carbs and spice…

We even decided to splurge on the Top Shelf! I might just add that this was a very wise choice as it was soooooo smooth and it was just enough to draw out another stowaway who was hiding and pouting because Debra got her favorite plain vanilla cupcake and she did not get her Red Velvet cupcake…

It was not long after that that our order of fajitas to split arrived. We were both pleasantly surprised how good they were considering they were at an airport restaurant that tried to have a more modern fro-fro spin on classic Tex-Mex.

We spent the next hour people watching to pass the time and debating on whether or not to order another round (which we didn’t, Bossy Tweedle…it is called pacing).

Instead we decided to hunt something sweet for the flight and of course Elsa had to make her presence known even in Dallas!

When it was time to board we were shocked to find a pretty empty plane and the sunset just about gone along with another good burst of snow flurries…another send off from Elsa who is apparently mad that we still did not have any chocolate cupcakes!

It took a little time to settle down Flat Kafi and Flat Debra….

And get them buckled for takeoff! Safety first ladies and you get your own seat! It was not long until both Flat Kafi and Flat Debra started in asking are we there “Are we there yet….” I sure wish I could have used that SW Free Movie coupon to entertain them, but of course we are on a flight with no WiFi…DARN SW Airlines, I WOULD HAVE USED THE FREE DRINK COUPON!
I know I quoted the whole dang post and I am still marveling at Debra having the next 5 yrs of races locked in already. You ladies made my PHM weekend memorable. I sat glued to Facebook anticipating where me and Debra would be next. These ladies went over and beyond to include us in to the weekend. Eventhough, I got lost in Magic Kingdom one night!!! loving th updates!!

I can't wait to see your photos from the race! Im hoping to do it next year, so its so fun reading all the reports from this year!

Life Update…
Apologies for being AWOL the last few weeks for my TR, my computer at home is on its last leg and I just have not had time off hours at work to login and update. Plus the fact that life seems to get in the also does not seem to happen…
A quick update on running and continued training…after PHM I really found myself unmotivated to get out there but the best way to get back in the training/running mode is to sign up for a race and since I needed to get 1 more half marathon in before April 17 in order to achieve my goal of Half Fanatic status that is what I did!
But before I tell you more about my 3rd Half Marathon, I might mention one of my training runs leading up to it…Pi Day or as it turned out 3 Pi and a Chai for me! What a better way to celebrate March 14 (3/14) then a 3.14 mile run? Well for me it actually turned out to be more of a walk because the body just did not want to do anything. Knowing I needed to get some distance in I decided to do 2, 3.14 miles and then afterwards celebrated with a Chai Tea and a Mini Pie.

1 Resized Pi.JPG
Now back to my 3rd Half Marathon in 63 days…Debra and I talked and decided that we would meet up in Dallas for the Rock & Roll Dallas Half since it was at the end of my Spring Break and the start of hers it would be perfect timing in addition to falling into the time frame I needed for Half Fanatic. But you know how life seems to get in the way…

2.jpg

Life Update Continued…

Sadly, Debra got sick right before and had to bail on the race…which made me a nervous wreck to be doing a race COMPLETELY ALONE (usually Cammy is along for the ride, but could not make this weekend). But I also knew this was something that I needed to do, although I had little training runs done since PHM and really was unprepared. I knew I could finish in the course time limit…

2 flat me.JPG
Thoughts about RnR-I really enjoyed this Race Event and would do it again! It was well organized, well run, for the most part a nice course to run, great bling and pretty darn to close to a RunDisney style event (or at least the closest I have come to).

1. Expo-Pleasantly surprised by the amount of booths at the Expo. Nowhere near like a Disney Run Expo, but more than I have experienced lately on major events. I did not spend much time at the Expo (basically picked up my bib and walked through) thanks to dragging my husband and boys along for the quick trip to Dallas.

2. Prerace Events-Lots of music, FOOD (which I was shocked to see before a race but did not partake in), and really easy set up with corrals and finding where you needed to go.

3. Corral Set Up/Start-I was about midway in the corrals which were based on times that you put that you expected to finish in. While the entrances to the corrals was clearly marked, no one checked your bib and once you were in the corral area it was very easy to move from corral to corral if you wanted to…which bothered me a little and stressed me out. The wave start was a confused mess as when they to the corrals near me I found myself starting with a much earlier corral because that is how the traffic flowed as we advanced to the starting line.

4 start.JPG
4. Course-For the most part I LOVED the course. Downtown Dallas is a great place to run….lots to see as you are running. The course weaved in and out of downtown into some pretty sketchy areas that are being turned into more “hip” areas….never felt unsafe just not a fun place to run! There were quite a few bands along the course and more the most part I enjoyed them…although I have to say the RAP music was WAY TOO LOUD and very annoying to the ears. There were also stretches of DJ “piped” in music over loud speakers. I love that the course was clearly marked with timing signs at each mile. The only thing I hated about the course was mile 10-12 ½ which was basically a steady uphill climb the entire time. IT WAS MISERABLE. Hydration and First Aid stations were plentiful, always a plus…along with restrooms along the way!

5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG
5. Finish Line/Post Race Events/Bling-At the finish line were the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, how appropriate as well lots of music! Love the BLING…wish they handed out the drawstring backpacks at the finish line as you were handed lots of things in the end…bananas, water, Gatorade, cranberries, Protein bars, chips…BAD NEWS was that I really wanted that Chocolate milk after the race and guess what…THEY WERE OUT ALREADY! I really did not look around the post-race party, I almost used my free beer ticket (although I don’t drink beer it sounded really good at the moment) but the line was too long so I gave the ticket to someone who asked.

How did I do? I knew going into the half that it was all about finishing…little training leading up to it did not help as well as my MONTHLY SHIN issues came into play a few days before. Yes, I have monthly shin issues timed right along with my other little friend. The first 6 miles I spent a lot of time walking simply because they were not playing nice at all, miles 6-10 went pretty well and then the up happened and I just gave up trying to do anything but get to the finish. In the end I did PR by like 7 seconds. LOL…not what I wanted to do but I just have to keep moving forward and keep working on it. BUT I FINISHED AND THAT MEANT THAT AS SOON AS I SUBMIT EVERYTHING I WILL BE A HALF FANATIC!!!!!

Of course, I had to celebrate with the traditional post-race fare…

10.JPG 11.JPG

I have to say that I was not totally alone like I thought I would be…first of all I took the Cupcakes along with me in spirit...love the things you can put in a SparkleSkirt Pocket.

3 taking with me.JPG

But most importantly the Cupcakes had my back the whole time! Lots of texts before, during and after the race and then when I opened FB I found that I had a whole group of cheerleaders pushing me on! I LOVE THESE GIRLS!

What’s up with training now? Stay tuned…but first let's get back to the TR Shall we!!!!

I love all of the Little Mermaid pictures!

Having stayed there twice, I agree with pretty much all of your ratings. We've actually never had those plumbing problems (although we had them at All-Star Sports on this trip). And we split hair and makeup - one did it by the vanity, the other by the table (I can do hair/makeup anywhere with a mirror and an outlet for my iron).
The rooms with two beds actually have double beds, not queen beds, so there's a bit more room .. but not much. We love the little mermaid rooms because we really don't spend much time in the room, and when we do, we like that it screams Disney. I think that if you're looking for relaxing, the values are definitely not right for you.

I am pretty much the same way...can get ready anywhere but some people aren't. LOL

I prefer the calmness of the moderate & deluxe hotels. The values are cute, but just so over the top done & I don't know if I could do more than a night at one. Like you said, I don't know that I could ever feel relaxed there.

That bathroom did look a bit small...and the shower seemed dark with the work on the wall.

I like my showers dark...hmmm, I know strange. But yes I think you are right about it being dark. The mural tile is just so cool...

I really love the themeing at AoA - but one thing it doesn't do is subtlty

Bummer about the bathroom - weird that the toilet felt like it was going to suck in the entire bathroom - yet in actually had trouble sucking down anything. :confused3

Sometimes I don't say the right words....it came out like a force, not pulled back in with force. But it sure did vibrate the whole commode and wall!!!

That fight sounds crazy! Glad you finally got some magic with the cashiers admiring your cupcake ears. I was at Art of Animation all weekend and those 2 cupcakes were the only ones I saw. We weren't in the food court everyday, but we did look in the dessert case every time we went in.
That is a lot of Little Mermaid theming! Even the carpet is little mermaid!

Totally bumming about the cupcakes still...or lack of!

I'm loving another running report. I'm not sure as another teacher how to make a WDW run work since I don't fly...I mean I don't fly :sick:. I have too few personal days to take time off during the school year. The Elsa references had me dying laughing. I "Hate" chocolate but I'd give anything for some if Elsa could stop all this snow nonsense. Can't wait to find out how your run turns out! Next time my students want to do a Flat Stanley project I'll know where to send them:)

Its hard to leave a classroom, I am lucky that I am in a position where I just have to rearrange trainings and appointments...but it is so worth it. I hope you can make it happen. Debra hates chocolate too, you should feel right at home here...

I would love to do your Flat Stanley's...although not much fun where I live. And I am not sure the Cupcakes will allow me any more flat friends.

Joining in! :cool1: My dad recently threw out the idea of going to Disney if I'll run one of the races with him. I do not run.. I will run for Disney!
Can't wait to see the experience through your eyes, what a fun group!

GO GO GO....I never ran before 2 years ago either...it is amazing what you are willing to do for a Disney trip!

Aw! I'm sorry your experience in Little Mermaid at AoA had bathroom issues. Being a party of 6 when we stayed there, we stayed in a Cars Land suite and the two bathrooms and extra space were perfect! I can imagine one bathroom in a smaller room would not be a cake walk for two adults. Weird about the bathroom issue... that is something I don't recall being a problem where we were last May. However, we were ground floor... not sure if that would have made a difference or not. Just thinking out loud!

I loved Cars area...you know I had to send lots of pictures to my boys!

I just realized I wasn't subscribed to your thread. *DOH!*

We stayed at AoA in 2013 in the Lion King section. Loved it!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat. :)

I can't believe that fight getting off ME. I tried really hard to be patient with my kids and really enjoy the trip and not let unmagical moments spoil anything. I have seen too many parents having meltdowns and screamig at kids, etc. just have fun people!!

I have had a few not so magical moments...a few on this trip..YIKES

Ok, bar kicking out was not mentioned! Someone said some "twerking" princess was kicked out!! Catching up on all the fun

That's because you went AWOL in Oklahoma...

I know I quoted the whole dang post and I am still marveling at Debra having the next 5 yrs of races locked in already. You ladies made my PHM weekend memorable. I sat glued to Facebook anticipating where me and Debra would be next. These ladies went over and beyond to include us in to the weekend. Eventhough, I got lost in Magic Kingdom one night!!! loving th updates!!

I have not figured out how to do part quotes yet...

I am so glad we could bring you along!!! Next time I want the real Kafi please!

I can't wait to see your photos from the race! Im hoping to do it next year, so its so fun reading all the reports from this year!

I hope you do PHM next year...ask questions all you want. These ladies will answer them and give it to you straight up!

Congratulations on half marathon #3 & half fanatics qualification! :cool1: That's Amazing!!!!
Good for you getting motivated, I've only run 4 times since Princess. It really needs to warm up soon here.

Sounds like a nice race - except for the end! I am not a fan of hills!!!
And I love the peacock sparkle skirt!
So sweet to have your cupcakes cheering you on! And your cupcake treat looks delicious!

I love the idea of 3 Pi and a Chai - even if you walked most of the time, that's better than nothing!

Congrats on the Rock n Roll Half ... sounds like it was a great event! I love the pictures from the course. Although that hill towards the end sounds like a killer.

I love that the cupcakes were with you in spirit, even though they couldn't be there in person!

The Rain Won’t Go Away, So It’s a Cupcake and Bed Instead
We decided that the rain is not going to dampen our arrival night plans, so after taking pictures of the room we dug through our suitcases for our rain ponchos (okay, Cammy dug for hers…I shamefully did not pack one but heck what is a little rain). Debra and Kafi decided that they just wanted to crawl in bed and watch the Disney Resort Channel.

1.JPG
Leaving them behind we walked out the door not to the light drizzle but now a pretty good rain shower coming down, but it was a warm shower and we decided to explore anyway.

2.JPG
I absolutely love the OVER THE TOP THEMING. We managed to Congo with some fish…and I know there were lots of pictures of us playing around…sadly they all had rain spots and were blurry. Sigh.

3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG
We had a blast despite the rain UNTIL Cammy’s feet got wet and her blister became irritated as we were running around in the African Serengeti with Rafki.

6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG
Knowing that feet were way more important for this trip then playing in the rain, we made the decision to head back to the room and explore Nemo and Cars tomorrow. By the time we made it to the room we knew we had made the right decision because it was now a complete downpour and we were soaked.

9.JPG
Back in the room we split our Welcome Home Cupcake 3 ways since somehow we ended up with Debra’s favorite flavor (again) and Kafi pouted (again) because she wanted Red Velvet. A huge disappointment…while it certainly was Disney sized it was just plain vanilla, not very moist and the frosting was way too sweet (I ended up throwing most of the frosting away). It was pretty to look at though, with just that Welcome Home touch for AoA…should have gone with the Oreo Mickey. What was I thinking? I think I should have looked in the beverage cases a little more instead of only at the cupcakes and found what the Tweedles found to wash this dry cupcake down. Teeth brushed and settled into bed dreaming up cupcakes few short hours because….

191.JPG

Official Cupcake & Cocktail Count

Cupcake Count: 4
Grocery Store Vanilla Bean (2)
Giraffe (Orange Marmalade) at AKL (1)
Zebra (Butterfinger) at AKL (1)
AoA Cupcake (1)

Cocktail Count
Tammie-1 (as of Dallas)
Cammy-1 (as of Dallas)
Tweedle Bossy-4 (as of Victoria Falls) + an empty pink cup
Tweedle Confused-4(as of Victoria Falls) + an empty pink cup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter