Panicking - Booked trip for November, just found out wife is pregnant

The 9 & 12 year old don't need a parent to ride every ride with them. Yes, they need them to get into the parks, but they could go ride something by themselves while mom & dad sit outside with the babies. Honestly OP, as long as their are no issues/complications with birth etc., I really don't think the 8 week old or mom is going to be an issue...it's going to be the 18 month old lol...but ppl. do it every day (myself included). The older 2 could and should actually be a help as they're old enough to help out with the family/know how to behave etc.

My bad. My daughter was 13 and couldn't take my 6yr old on anything last trip, even Dumbo which was ridiculous in my opinion. They kept saying she had to be 14 (or 15?) Maybe there is a minimum age to ride alone but on the Disney website on the ride restrictions at the bottoms, it says must be over 14 to enter with someone under 14.

I believe the magic age is 7... if they are 7 they can ride with another older child. If they are under 7, they must ride with someone 14 or over.

They have to be 14 to enter the park without an adult. It is murky on if they have to be 14 to roam the park alone... probably only enforced as needed if kids are misbehaving would be my guess.

My bad. My daughter was 13 and couldn't take my 6yr old on anything last trip, even Dumbo which was ridiculous in my opinion. They kept saying she had to be 14 (or 15?) Maybe there is a minimum age to ride alone but on the Disney website on the ride restrictions at the bottoms, it says must be over 14 to enter with someone under 14.

Yeah it's 7 to ride alone so OP would be fine, but that's what would have prevented it in your situation.

I'm not too sure it would be a good idea to leave an 8 WEEK old baby to go on vacation?

Ehhh. My mom went to Hawaii when I was 6 or 8 weeks old and I turned out OK. Granted, I'm sure they thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Ehhh. My mom went to Hawaii when I was 6 or 8 weeks old and I turned out OK. Granted, I'm sure they thought it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm sure the OP's baby will be fine as well. But Hawaii is not Disney. There's not the concentration of people into such tight quarters. And if you stayed in a typical hotel, you probably have no idea if you cried at night, keeping the neighbors up during their own once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm sure the OP's baby will be fine as well. But Hawaii is not Disney. There's not the concentration of people into such tight quarters. And if you stayed in a typical hotel, you probably have no idea if you cried at night, keeping the neighbors up during their own once in a lifetime opportunity.

Sounds like that poster's mom left her at home when she was 6 weeks old to go to Hawaii.

I travelled extensively with my daughter from the time she was 6 weeks old. WDW, DL, Paris, Disney Cruise, London. We flew over 35k in her first year alone. She didn't get sick until she went to daycare at age 1. She was breastfed and carried in a sling a lot.

Wow. I guess a lot of the posters had very different experiences with their babies. My son had horrific reflux, colic, food allergies and literally cried all day and night - this was definitely still going on at 8wks. I spent my whole maternity leave rocking and walking him around our house all day and night trying to get him to sleep (with both of us usually crying). There is NO WAY we could have done Disney... let alone handled caring for another child. I would at least make plans you can cancel (trip insurance) in case your baby ends up like this (and hopefully he/she does not). I did not have a c-section but had a really rough delivery (very severe tears) that made walking long distances or even standing a long time problematic until probably 4 months postpartum.

My son is 17 months now, we only live 3 hours from Disney now but still have not taken him because he is a TERRIBLE sleeper (especially not at home) and I just can't do the parks on no sleep. So I go for a day trip when he stays with daddy!

I didn't read all the posts prior.
Personally, I wouldn't go with a baby that young. I was still getting breastfeeding down when mine were that young. And the night waking, etc. I think throwing a Disney trip in there would have sent me over the edge.
Does she have easy pregnancies? If so, may I suggest Feb, March? May would put you in the second trimester, which was my least eventful trimester.
Also, maybe reschedule for March of next year when baby is six months.

ETA: I found out I was expecting after we had planned a March trip, and was due in April. Obstetrician said absolutely not.
After we got a few things under control, we decided on a December trip. It was rough on me still, but I was having a difficult pregnancy.
A friend of mine has easy pregnancies, and she went at seven months and did fine.

IMO- way easier at 8 weeks, than say 5-6 months, they eat sleep and poop at that age, LOL. The night time sleep may be an issue though.

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your trip and your wife feels well enough by then for all the walking required!!

I didn't read all the posts prior.
Personally, I wouldn't go with a baby that young. I was still getting breastfeeding down when mine were that young. And the night waking, etc. I think throwing a Disney trip in there would have sent me over the edge.
Does she have easy pregnancies? If so, may I suggest Feb, March? May would put you in the second trimester, which was my least eventful trimester.
Also, maybe reschedule for March of next year when baby is six months.

I agree with this^

It's a difficult decision you'd be making, because there are many unknowns - you don't know how her pregnancy will go - I realize it's not her first one, but my third pregnancy was my most difficult.
Don't know how labour and delivery will go....what if a c-section is required? Actually, if I had a protracted labour, and big baby, I don't know if I'd want to walk miles everyday at 2 months PP.
You don't know the temperament of the baby, just getting the hang of breastfeeding......one of my kids had reflux until maybe 6 months, and had projectile spit-up after.every.nursing. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to manage that at DW. Another wanted to eat all the time at that age...even though he was BF, I never got the hang of it in the carrier, or on the go.
As someone else mentioned, if baby is overdue, might not even be 8 weeks. I'm not sure of the US vaccination schedule, but I wouldn't be comfortable taking an unvaccinated newborn to DW.

Honestly, I feel like it would also be a lot for you and the rest of the family. You two older kids (who really aren't all that old) won't have much time with m&d because you'll be wrangling a toddler, and your wife will be busy with a new baby. The responsibility of your 18 month old (Plus older two) will be all you.
We took three kids 7, 5, 2.....and my hubby and I were exhausted at the end! My 2 year old kept jumping out of the stroller, wanting to run, or being on someone's shoulders....the older two loved looking at the sites, so we're moving slowly...we had to tag-team quite often!
Even if you plan a 'go with the flow' relaxing trip.....are the three other kids going to want to wait for 30 mins because mom needs to feed and change the baby....again?

I did a family visit with my first baby at around 8 weeks (two 8-hr round trip drives and four flights). I actually asked my dad to travel with me, so I'd have some help. Everything just took so much longer. It went pretty well, but we were visiting family, so it was a little easier to manage breastfeeding on the go, and modifying our schedules. Even on this trip I was very aware of her waking at night, or crying (didn't want to disturb anyone, and family is proabanly a lot more understanding than strangers in an expensive hotel). I was really beat at the end of it though.......

I personally wouldn't plan a trip at that time as there would be too many unknown variables for me. If things are going fabulously, could you do a 'trial' trip somewhere a little less overwhelming?

Congratulations on your pregnancy...and best of luck with whatever decision you make!:thumbsup2

I would be buying cancel for any reason trip insurance. There are just too many unknowns. We all assume healthy pregnancies and healthy babies, but sometimes that just doesn't happen the way we thought it would. I delivered both kids via c-section. After the first it took 6 weeks for me to get moving again, physically I could not have done Disney. After #2 I was driving in less then 10 days. You honestly never know, even after 3 what is going to happen. We flew to see my DH (he was working across the country) when my youngest was 6 weeks. It was a little crazy (envision a 6 wk old and a 2.5 year old with me at the zoo in Phoenix in May). But, the trip to Disney when he was 6 months and still not sleeping through the night is the trip I remember and refer to as the "trip from hell".

I would look into having a "condo" type space as opposed to a single hotel room. You may appreciate the space and also access to a kitchen. Being able to have snacks at the ready helped me survive. Stay flexible you may be make a lot of last minute adjustments.

I would be buying cancel for any reason trip insurance.
This is excellent advice. Keep in mind, though, that it's going require cancelling the entire trip and completely rebooking. That could end up being problematic.

I know other people have mentioned the chance of a c-section and the recovery time, and it is definitely something to take into consideration if she hasn't had one before. I had my son this summer, after having a great pregnancy and exercising up to delivery. Unfortunately, I had a c-section and the recovery was a lot harder than I was anticipating. Even after being cleared at 6 weeks to resume exercise, I wasn't up for much more than a walk around our neighborhood. It took a lot longer than I thought to feel comfortable and even think about getting back to exercising. I would have had to cancel my trip if we were going with our 8 week old, I wouldn't be up for that much walking. Everyone's recovery is different of course and hopefully she won't even need to worry about it, but just something to think about. Congrats again!

Everyone is different but I would definitely not be up for Disney World (physically)until 3-4 months PP and I had a natural birth. Plus my baby did not sleep through the night until then so I wouldn't want to be sleep deprived and be at wdw. It just wouldn't be fun for me but everyone is different. Now I went to Disney for my babymoon at 15 weeks, but that was pre zika scares. Most Dr.'s are telling patients who are pregnant not to travel to Fl.

Can you just postpone it a bit? Maybe a month or two? Then it won't be as hot, baby will be sleeping better and mama will enjoy it more. Most airlines might be flexible if you explain your wife is pregnant and allow you to at least change the flight. Also I would look into a one bedroom villa at a DVC. This has been amazing for us (we are going on 4 trips with my now 26 months old). It will give you a kitchen to stock baby supplies, washer and dryer and space to put baby to sleep and a place for you guys to hang out without having to sit in the dark and be silent while baby sleeps.

I have been to WDW many, many times and going on 4 times with my toddler at varying stages so let me know if you have any questions.

Oh and baby wearing the infant will be a huuuuuge help!

Last edited:
Congrats!!!

I just want to jump in and say I am currently in a very similar situation. My family is planning a big trip to Disney this August. My parents, sister and her family, me and my family, and my brother are going. There will be 13 total. We already had it booked and planned when I found out I was pregnant. We spent a lot of time just working out a time of year and dates we could all go. We also were lucky to get free dining bounce back offer. This is a trip we've been talking about for years and years....the whole point was for the entire family to be there. I didn't want to be the reason it fell through.

We are still going on the trip. Flights are booked. I am due June 19th (OB has mentioned inducing a week early so she can for sure be my doctor at delivery, so I don't think we will be going over) and our trip starts August 13th. We also have a daughter who will be just shy of 3 years when we go. We will have extra adult help with our daughter since grandparents and aunts and uncles will be there too. (There will also be a 9 yr old, two 7 years olds, and a 5 year old) I plan to just take it really easy and keep baby indoors as much as possible. I'm thinking lots of indoor shows.

We have one meal planned each day with everyone, that is our main goal is to make it to the big family meal each day. Otherwise we have no ambitions of getting on rollercoasters or big attractions. Just hope to fit in some things our daughter will enjoy. Probably meeting some princesses, It's a Small World, etc.

We had already planned to stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins, which I think will work great. There is a separate bedroom area. We plan to sleep on the pull out in the living room with baby in a pack and play or travel bassinet so when baby wakes up everyone else can still sleep. It also has a dishwasher and full fridge which should be nice for bottles, pumping stuff etc.

I think it is certainly doable. I think it is easier to take a younger baby than say a 6-12 month old. At 8 weeks they really just want to eat sleep and be held. They aren't on much of a schedule yet. You going in November should be better than our trip in August too. It's going to be very hot when we go, you should have better weather for baby wearing.

Things I've gotten/think I'll get for trip that will make it easier:
Lillebaby Complete Airflow Carrier
Bassinet stroller with large canopy to block the sun
Stroller Fan
Travel Bassinet

I guess I am going into this trip knowing it isn't going to be my all time favorite/get to do everything I want kind of trip. It will be nice though in a different way. I will likely go on several attractions I haven't done in years. Probably catch some shows in Epcot I have never seen. A much slower paced Disney trip than I'm used to.

If I was you I would maybe look into a resort option that would allow for a separate sleeping area for your others kids.

Oh just adding I know some talked about going before baby. I got pregnant just weeks after a Disney trip last September and my OB was worried about Zika. We wore bug spray the whole time, didn't recall getting bit by anything, didn't have any symptoms, and actually didn't really see mosquitoes. I felt fine about it but she was sorta worried and told me to certainly not go back until after baby was born. Everything is looking fine with baby by the way...but once she flat out told me not to travel there I don't think I could go. Even if she was overreacting.

I would change my trip to before the baby was born or 6-7 months after if it were me. My youngest had colic at 8 weeks. It was the most miserable experience of mine and dh's lives, and probably my other 2 kids too. I could never deal with that on vacation. Before he was born I wouldn't have batted an eye, my other 2 kids were great babies. After him my outlook definitely changed, no way would I take the risk of planning a vacation with a baby that age without knowing how it would be.

I'm going to post first, and then read - so maybe you've already made your decision, but I would say - GO FOR IT! We have 2 kids and went to WDW twice when DD2 was about 12 weeks (BLT) and again when she was about 4.5 months (GF). She was not sleeping through the night then. When DD1 was a newborn, my DH was on sabbatical and I was on maternity leave, and we ended up traveling around the world with DD1 when she was 6-12 weeks old. When we got back to the US at 12 weeks, we realized she'd spent more time outside the US than in. It is totally doable and traveling with an 8 week old is actually quite easy. (note: DD1 was a c-section baby who had horrible colic and reflux, and who was a struggle with BFing the first 3-4 weeks, and she was actually easier to handle away from home (in a hotel with housekeeping and where you could easily eat out, take a stroller, carrier, what have you, was actually easier than being home.)

For both our previous disney trips, we were all 4 of us in 1 room, and it was fine. In the GF, we had a regular room and DD1 slept in the sofa bad and there was still room for the crib, though DD2 ended up cosleeping with us most of the time (in our K bed). When we stayed at the BLT, DD1 had an inflatable kids bed (the shrunks toddler bed) and DD2 slept in a pack and play. It was really easy to get up, nurse the baby and put her back down and go back to sleep. DD1 never woke up any of those times.

A couple things that were lifesavers on those trips (both to WDW and when DD1 was a newborn) - BF is much much easier. We didn't take any bottles or a pump when we traveled with DD1 and it was fine. With DD2, I took a hand pump and just pumped enough so we could leave with a sitter once or twice during our stay. I actually ended up freezing milk and bringing it home. Other things that were useful: a baby carrier and Baby banz baby ear protection.
Generally, DD2 napped all her naps in the boba (carrier) or in the stroller. I would highly recommend renting a double stroller (city mini was so comfy for the little ones) and bringing the carrier. We would usually go to dinner and DD2 would nurse before we ate and then usually fall asleep in the carrier while we were eating. Sometimes DH or I would have to stand up and sway her a bit, but then we could eat the rest of the time no problem. She'd basically sleep until we got back to the room, and one of us would change her diaper while the other got DD1 ready for bed, and then put them both down. DD2 would barely wake up when we put her back down.

As for vaccinations - when we went to Europe and Brazil in 2011 with DD1, I think they just pushed her 2mo fax up a little bit. In any event she was getting lots of antibodies through nursing and she spent most of the time in the carrier, so really no one was touching her except us. (FWIW, DD1 bringing germs back from day care was a bigger concern than any possible exposure at WDW!)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter