Panicking - Booked trip for November, just found out wife is pregnant

TheNotSoGreatGonzo

Mouseketeer
Hi All...been awhile since I've posted, but I need some guidance.

I booked a DW trip for November for my family (me, wife, DS12, DD9, DD18mos), and I just learned that my wife is pregnant again, due mid-September.

I was surprising my wife with the stay being at GF (she's always wanted to stay there, but we usually stay at POR due to $), and, last night, she said (thinking we were staying at POR), maybe we should check out bigger/additional room options, so I went ahead and spoiled the surprise regarding GF.

Still, I'm panicking because taking an 8-week old to DW sounds like a bad dream, particularly with everyone trying to get some sleep in the same room.

What should we do? Pay to have a caregiver come with us (but then, we'd probably have to get an additional room, right)? My wife really wants my DD18mos to experience DW at this age, so we are not really wanting to cancel altogether (I booked the flights already anyways).

Talk me off the ledge people. Is taking an 8-week old to DW a horrible idea? Maybe we can make sure she gets her vaccinations before we go. Anyone out there ever go to DW under similar circumstances that has some advice?

I booked a DW trip for November for my family (me, wife, DS12, DD9, DD18mos), and I just learned that my wife is pregnant again, due mid-September.

I was surprising my wife with the stay being at GF (she's always wanted to stay there, but we usually stay at POR due to $), and, last night, she said (thinking we were staying at POR), maybe we should check out bigger/additional room options, so I went ahead and spoiled the surprise regarding GF.

Still, I'm panicking because taking an 8-week old to DW sounds like a bad dream, particularly with everyone trying to get some sleep in the same room.

What should we do? Pay to have a caregiver come with us (but then, we'd probably have to get an additional room, right)? My wife really wants my DD18mos to experience DW at this age, so we are not really wanting to cancel altogether (I booked the flights already anyways).

Talk me off the ledge people. Is taking an 8-week old to DW a horrible idea? Maybe we can make sure she gets her vaccinations before we go. Anyone out there ever go to DW under similar circumstances that has some advice?

First, congrats on the new baby!

While 8 week is certainly young it's not "impossible". November should have good weather, not too hot or too cold for a little baby. Naturally I have no advice for "health" things because I'm not a pediatrician. But I know the baby can go on rides. Stick to slow moving rides, like Dumbo, Haunted Mansion, Ariel, etc. Mostly you'll just be carrying the baby around probably in one of those baby carriers you have on your chest. The Grand Floridian will be great because you can quickly get back to your room.

I think this will end up being a great trip for you. Obviously bring lots of diapers and extra clothes when you leave your room to go to eat, a park, etc.

We went when my DS was 12 weeks. Honestly he was a good baby and it was an easy trip. (I nursed him so we didn't have to worry about bottles and he wasn't eating solids). 12 weeks is also an age when babies are more likely to sleep longer stretches of the night. My older son was 2.5 years and he slept fine in the same room. One thing to note: We had a very laid back touring style. I had bought hoppers and we never hopped. I also learned infants need to be included in your ADRs (even when they don't eat!- I called and a cast member graciously modified my head counts even at chef Mickey's and O'hana)
But, That was before the measles outbreak at DL. I may reconsider taking an infant now.
I know you already have airfare, is it southwest where you can change the dates? I think pushing the trip back a month or so may give the infant a chance to reach the point of sleeping through the night.
These are just some thoughts. Our trip was different than other trips we have taken, but it was probably the most magical for my older son who has beyond excited to meet the characters (although he doesn't remember it) so I am very glad we went.

well at 8 weeks they are pretty go with the flow and portable. In my opinion I would consider downgrading hotels and getting 2 rooms though. I think you and wife being able to split up and being able to separate the crying baby from the other children so that they can sleep will be way more valuable than staying at GF.

Check out "kids night out" and see if maybe you can get a babysitter even for half a night so you guys can get some rest might be a good idea.

My youngest was 12 weeks and I have a friend who was in the same situation as you whose infant was only 2 weeks! You'll make it work. :)

We did WDW with our DD2 at 8 weeks old (I am currently working on a trip report!). We are pregnant with #3, and I'm planning a trip when she will be about 6 weeks old! We did 12 nights and it was great! Not as easy as other trips but still worth it to go. We did have a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake Tower (rented points - we put the pack n play in bathroom to give some separation).

Congrats on the new baby!

But after experiencing a Disney vacation where our room was next door to a room with a newborn....... you might want to think about it a bit. Some babies sleep through the night by then. Many don't. And it could be a problem for more than just the people in your room.

I don't think an 8 week old baby has any business in DW, but to each his or her own. I wouldn't risk the exposure to so many potentially dangerous illnesses. So many people were hacking, coughing, and sneezing all over DW this last week. People mention bringing home the flu and colds frequently here. It's not even comparable to living in a city, where a young infant briefly travels to and from a caregiver/doctor/home. The baby will be exposed all day every day you're there. Your other little ones will be touching everything that several thousand other kids have touched all day long, then touching you and your wife and the baby. Just my 2 cents. I'm not generally a germophobe, except when it comes to weak immune systems.

While I can understand why your wife wants to watch your 18 month old experience DW, the truth is he/she will never remember it. The magic will still be there the next year.

I've gone with a 12 year old, 7 year old and 7 week old in Sept. and it was fine. As long as everything goes smoothly with the birth etc., you guys will be fine. Don't get me wrong, it will be A LOT of work, especially since you also have a 18 month old, but it's totally doable. The only thing I would possibly recommend considering maybe switching to CR or Bay Lake Towers...the only reason is the walking ability to/from MK in case the monorail is down...which happens a good amount. For us, it was a huge benefit to not have to take kids out of the stroller, pack up etc. to get on a bus or small boat. The other thing that I wish we would have done was rented a DVC to have the dishwasher...not sure how feeding is going to work with your little ones, but it would have been much nicer to just throw bottles/sippy cups in the dishwasher as opposed to washing them every night after a long day at the parks. -That's really the only part that I really remember dreading every night.

Be as prepared as you can and get stuff ready for the park the night before, but it's completely doable...and the nice thing is you're going in Nov. so you won't have to deal with or worry about really hot weather.

Congrats on the new addition!! Hopefully the pregnancy goes well and everyone is healthy after delivery. If your wife ends up having to have a c-section then her recovery might be a bit longer but at 8 weeks she should be ok to walk around the parks. My guess is November is probably a good time to go, weather won't be hot. The little one will probably still be sleeping a lot and can be carried around in a baby bjorn. Hopefully you will have a routine by then. The tough child I would say will be the 18 month old. They are very unpredictable at that age -- I am guessing that DD will be 2 by then. You will need to gage your park time around the 2 year old, the 8 month old will be in tow and will just need feeding and changing times. I would say for the sanity of everyone traveling you will need to figure out accommodations which will allow for a separate room for you your wife and the baby. No need to bring an extra care giver. That just adds to the logistics. You do have 2 older kids who can help out too. Make sure you plan enough for the older kids to feel this is their trip too, sometimes with little ones the focus is always on them. You can plan that your wife take the 2yo and baby for afternoon breaks and you can take the older ones on rides. It can be done, but requires some planning.

I think it's a horrible idea.
I would wait two years. Your oldest child will be at an even BETTER age (will likely remember it) and your newest addition will be at a somewhat more tolerable age as well.

Congratulations on the new bundle of joy!!!

Just my two cents...

While I love WDW and wouldn't want to give up an opportunity to go, and knowing how my kids were at two months we could have definitely had an enjoyable trip, there's also the part of me that says "what if?"

Noting what others have said about the potential for the baby getting sick would worry me. That got me thinking of those friends and family members who have had pretty typical normal pregnancies then had complications at the end or with the birth or found out the baby needed surgery or something- you can't always plan for that. At two months out your DW might not feel up to touring WDW either, or at least enjoying it as much with the rest of the family.

If GF is her dream resort, why not wait until she will really be able to enjoy it? She may be too stressed with the new baby and toddler to be able to take time for herself, and not be able to enjoy the things with the older two kids and you. Maybe waiting a year would allow you to save up a bit more for a bigger room at GF and then the toddler would be potty trained meaning only one child in diapers too. The two youngest would still both be under three, right? So no tickets for either still.

If you do decide to go I would highly recommend switching resorts so you can get some more separation for the sleeping situations. What about one of the Epcot resorts? That would give you easy transport to Epcot and DHS plus a quick monorail ride to MK, while not having to really raise your budget. You could always enjoy the Boardwalk area and the resort with the older kids while DW may be napping with the younger ones and then y'all can all meet up for park time.

Have you considered going before the baby is due? You can certainly change your WDW dates without penalty now. The only issue would be changing your flights, but I would imagine that would be cheaper than booking a second room and bringing a caregiver.

If you decide to go, yes, I would consider bringing another adult (caregiver, family member, etc.) and either booking a second room (connecting won't be guaranteed) or a 2-bedroom villa at one of the DVC resorts (GFV will probably not be an option, however) so you can all be together but still have some separate space. The 2-bedroom will also give you a full kitchen and a washer/dryer which could come in handy.

Someone already mentioned the possibility for a C-section and the recovery being harder on your wife.

You also need to consider that babies can be up to 2 weeks overdue, meaning you could end up traveling with a 6 week old baby instead. Would that change your mind on it?

I just think for that kind of investment, delaying at least a few months might be better for everyone involved.

How are your older kids going to react with a baby up crying at night in the same room with nowhere else to go to escape? Sounds like too much stress for all involved. Even the best babies have "off" nights. One of ours didn't sleep predictably through until 9 months, another at 7 months. The 3rd started sleeping through around 8 weeks, and I thought I had won the lottery. Sleeping through at that age certainly isn't a given.

I would never do that personally. Disney can be overwhelming on a good day. Adding a new baby to the mix seems like the stuff of nightmares. Plus yes there is the exposure factor. I mean to each his own. Only you know what you and your wife can handle. I just wouldn't do it myself.

Yes, I've done it with a 10 week old (although we booked the trip after birth) in the late fall...but I only had 2 total kids at the time, not 4...and the 2nd one was 4 and not 2...and a girl. We planned a very slow trip and it was enjoyable. The 4 year old was the "perfect child", so she went with the flow for everything mom and baby needed...and dad handled doing a lot of 1-on-1 with her while I nursed the baby.

We also had a 2 bedroom offsite condo, not a single room, so 4 year old had her own room and mom, dad, and baby had one, with dad having the option to bail to the sofa bed if baby had a bad night (b/c dad was 100% in charge of being the active and ready one for the 4 year old). We also had a full kitchen and got groceries, and we didn't have to worry about canceled ADR fees then (we would book meals we felt like the night before and then cancel or keep as the day progressed) or preplanned FP+s - we picked parks each morning, or just staying at the resort, and we went when we were ready and left when we were done...and no sooner or later. Having a car made that very easy. The resort had free pools and splash pads, free mini golf, and a free small park, so if we had to skip the parks, there was plenty to keep the 4 year old very happy (and the room jacuzzi tub was its own amazing thing).

So, seeing your circumstance, I would not stay at GF. I would get a full kitchen and multiple bedrooms/bathrooms. If that means you'd rather not go then, I'd move the trip. Also, you know your kids and family - if they can't be happy waiting on mom/baby all the time or if you don't want to have to be the full caretaker of the top 3 (while still helping mom and baby - this is a lot of work), I wouldn't go.

Ultimately it will come down to what is right for your family.

If your wife breastfeeds and the baby is in a carrier most of the time and everyone washes their hands frequently, I would think that would minimize the chance of the baby catching something.

I would bring up how your wife may be feeling. Childbirth (as you two have been through this before and you probably know) is no glamorous thing. I didn't really feel like going out and being seen by ANYONE for a while after the babies were born. Plus hormones run rampant and everything else. I, personally, wouldn't want to go until a baby was a year old if I had given birth.

I would hesitate to take a child that small on ANY ride, regardless of whether it is allowed. They cannot hold their heads firmy yet and if the ride jolts, that could be terrible.

Yes, I've done it with a 10 week old (although we booked the trip after birth) in the late fall...but I only had 2 total kids at the time, not 4...and the 2nd one was 4 and not 2...and a girl. We planned a very slow trip and it was enjoyable. The 4 year old was the "perfect child", so she went with the flow for everything mom and baby needed...and dad handled doing a lot of 1-on-1 with her while I nursed the baby.

We also had a 2 bedroom offsite condo, not a single room, so 4 year old had her own room and mom, dad, and baby had one, with dad having the option to bail to the sofa bed if baby had a bad night (b/c dad was 100% in charge of being the active and ready one for the 4 year old). We also had a full kitchen and got groceries, and we didn't have to worry about canceled ADR fees then (we would book meals we felt like the night before and then cancel or keep as the day progressed) or preplanned FP+s - we picked parks each morning, or just staying at the resort, and we went when we were ready and left when we were done...and no sooner or later. Having a car made that very easy. The resort had free pools and splash pads, free mini golf, and a free small park, so if we had to skip the parks, there was plenty to keep the 4 year old very happy (and the room jacuzzi tub was its own amazing thing).

So, seeing your circumstance, I would not stay at GF. I would get a full kitchen and multiple bedrooms/bathrooms. If that means you'd rather not go then, I'd move the trip. Also, you know your kids and family - if they can't be happy waiting on mom/baby all the time or if you don't want to have to be the full caretaker of the top 3 (while still helping mom and baby - this is a lot of work), I wouldn't go.

I think the extra space of an offsite condo would make a huge difference.

Likewise waiting to book until after the birth knowing exactly how mom and baby were doing postpartum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter