One day quick service

Definitely seems to me to be some sort of group sales tool. You have a bus load of cheerleaders, you can pre-sell them lunch. Allows Mom or Dad who might not be on site to guarantee the money is spent on food and not something else.
A lodging guest can let their kid charge back to the room if they want.
I really don't see the advantage to a day tripper other than using this like a pre paid deal so a kid can run off....or maybe Grand parents gift to a grand kid they know is making the trip, so they want to "help out".
Financially it's bit of push.

Well, also just for families who prefer to pay for 5 of these up front or something and then you know that is set ahead of time and just give the ticket, don't have to worry about having money - especially if some people want to eat at Casey's and the rest want to eat at CHH or something. Some people just like having things set budgetwise ahead of time - even if just for the day

Well, also just for families who prefer to pay for 5 of these up front or something and then you know that is set ahead of time and just give the ticket, don't have to worry about having money - especially if some people want to eat at Casey's and the rest want to eat at CHH or something. Some people just like having things set budgetwise ahead of time - even if just for the day

I'm wondering, how big of a problem is this really? How did people handle this sort of thing before this program? Was giving kids money for lunch and then trusting them to buy lunch and then have the kid buy something else really an issue? What about how people not being able to agree on where to eat? How was that dealt with before? I honestly don't know since in my family, we do what I want (kidding, mostly). I'm not being sarcastic, but since we as a community make up a small % of the visitors to Disney, and it's been mentioned already, then I wonder if this really is bigger than previously thought.

I'm wondering, how big of a problem is this really? How did people handle this sort of thing before this program? Was giving kids money for lunch and then trusting them to buy lunch and then have the kid buy something else really an issue? What about how people not being able to agree on where to eat? How was that dealt with before? I honestly don't know since in my family, we do what I want (kidding, mostly). I'm not being sarcastic, but since we as a community make up a small % of the visitors to Disney, and it's been mentioned already, then I wonder if this really is bigger than previously thought.

to me it isn't a big deal as we would just use credit cards/magic bands to pay and my kids are too young to go off on their own ... I just know a lot of people like the regular meal plan as it is paying ahead of time and not having to worry when they walk up to a location about what costs what, etc. - they can just order what they want and it is taken care of .... and this does that just on a smaller scale

Also, I think normally one person/parent handles the money and stuff like that so the mom or whatever can just hand the tickets to the dad to go get half the stuff with half the kids while she goes somewhere, etc.

Again, I don't see it as a huge thing - but if that does make your life a little easier and you are saving something (or at least perceive to be saving something) I can see people liking it. Not a lot of the people here probably though

It strikes me as useless honestly. Like you mentioned give your kid some money and let them go. I'd be worried they'd lose the voucher, unless it can be linked to an account for it to be used if the paper is lost.
I'd rather trust my 7 year old with a $20 bill or two than a meal voucher, as I know he at least knows the value of the cash.

I think that they are "solving" a problem that didn't affect most people. Honestly my biggest issue with it is how they sell it as saving 20% on meals per their Disney Park blog. If they just rolled it out as an option to use for guest that would be different. If I'm not mistaken Disneyland used to have or still has a meal voucher type thing. I think how its advertised is easily misleading for guest that aren't familiar with prices inside the parks. Having said that, not that MK quick service is gourmet or super cheap but I have found in the past that they are cheaper and a better value than eating at other theme parks like Six Flags so if you are more familiar with other park prices you might think it's a value.

If someone's not looking to save money though I can see the convenience in offering this. No I don't think this was necessarily a huge problem but I can see that for families with older kids who might roam independently or larger groups, like the previously mentioned cheerleaders or even the large tour groups or extended family trips, I can see the value. Personally, if I took my younger brother who is 14 I would not want to enable his band to charge to the room and if I gave him the $29 for meals for the day he'd buy snacks and Starbucks (and be starving half way through the day) and my younger sister, who's almost 17 might be slightly better but I have my questions LOL. I could also see the value when travelling with my MIL where I would want to avoid an awkward situation where she feels she needs to order the cheapest thing if we're footing the bill versus just getting anything off the menu. This is the same way I feel about the dining plan, I know it doesn't save money but I find it convenient and feel more comfortable ordering the more expensive stuff because I already paid and it's the stuff and the restaurants that I would never do ordinarily because without prepaying I penny pinch by nature and it's nice to feel more free. I realize that this is all psychological and not financial though. I've only done the DDP once and it was with a lot of character meals so I did happen to come out ahead I think. This might also appeal to people who like the dining plans but don't like being tied to staying onsite and the tickets or having to purchase it for everyone this is more of an ala carte dining plan. Honestly for the price, if they threw in a snack I probably would purchase it with our kids just sharing the adult meals with us versus buying the package for the whole family since I think it would be a waste to pay for the kids one since my DD doesn't even finish a kids meal.

This is kinda long winded but the other thing I think is Disney has more competition. I know Universal does something with meals and Six Flags (which isn't near there) has a meal thing as well as an add on but also competition from other options. By pushing the packages and prepaid options, Disney appears to be more affordable which I knew as a kid (I'm 31 for a reference of how far back that was) Disney was seen as a big trip that was expensive even back then. So when my parents took us to MK just for one day (grandfather lived driving distance so they just had to buy the tickets) it was big deal because to me it was an expensive place. I still remember going back to the car to eat dinner and having dinner rolls because my parents wanted to save money. Things are different because now you can just look up menus but not all people like to research so if Disney just puts a price out there like hey it's only $29 for an adult to eat all day, that might be enough to convince some people to leave the dinner rolls at home :) Buy packaging things it lets people know all their cost upfront and it does become easier to compare if you don't like doing extensive research when looking at other options like a cruise or all inclusive or other more predictable options.

I think you make a solid point, about treating a relative to lunch, and they buy cheap, or "insist on paying", this voucher can combat that socially awkward situation. Not quite shopping bargain, more of buying piece of mind type deal.
I bet their is a lot of that weird extended family stuff as large families converge on the mouse for that family reunion style vacation. Not a huge segment, but worth grabbing their money.

I'm at WDW now, and QS prices have really shocked me. The other day I was solo at Magic Kingdom-1 entree, soft drink, and dessert about $18. DH and I ate at the food court last night, just 2 entrees, 2 soft drinks, and 1 dessert to share, and it was over $40. What's funny about that is that we'd eaten at Olivia's a few days ago, and it was less than $40 for the two of us.

I'm at WDW now, and QS prices have really shocked me. The other day I was solo at Magic Kingdom-1 entree, soft drink, and dessert about $18. DH and I ate at the food court last night, just 2 entrees, 2 soft drinks, and 1 dessert to share, and it was over $40. What's funny about that is that we'd eaten at Olivia's a few days ago, and it was less than $40 for the two of us.

Anything that gets used...is jacked up and exploited without pause...this is the "new management" style.

I've noticed sitdowns have had fewer tables filled for a few years now...because they spent the previous 5 pricing the hell out of them.

This could be manifestation of another mistake in policy...like the debated Christmas crowds.

Wasn't sure where to put this and I didn't see anything mentioned, but I saw this on allears.net a coupld of days ago. Is it just me or does it look like a really bad deal? Unless of course you get the most expensive thing on the menu like the DDP. I've never used any of the DDP's but for me this looks like 9 times out of 10 Disney is going to come out with a couple of bucks more from this deal. Why do they never give the guest the better end of the deal? Your thoughts?
http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2017/01/disney_dine_on_the_go_debuts_j.html

What were you ordering because I also thought there was opportunity to save some money but when I pulled up menus, I couldn't find anything priced high enough to make that happen (with what you could get on the 1 day plan).

I'm just curious so don't take this negative, I'm also trying to decide if I might want to buy it some days.
I was wondering the same. The plan is only for an entree and soda...that's it. I'm curious as to how 4 people (I believe) managed to get $17 above the price of the plan??? There was nothing on the menus that I looked at that went over the guestimated $14 by 4 whole bucks.

Most people who are able to afford to go to WDW could care less how much food costs!!!! There are millions that walk though those gates on a weekly basis. This is just another great way to offer this service for guests as they can just pay for it all at one time for the day. I find that the rebuttal on this thread is really funny as I see most kids with balloons that cost over $15-20.
That just made me laugh out loud. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say "most people" lol. Assuming "most people" have the last name Hilton, Trump or Rockefeller. :D

I was wondering the same. The plan is only for an entree and soda...that's it. I'm curious as to how 4 people (I believe) managed to get $17 above the price of the plan??? There was nothing on the menus that I looked at that went over the guestimated $14 by 4 whole bucks.

I'm thinking they priced bog lunch which is counter service but not in the list of eateries on the plan.

At Pecos Bills the taco burger is $15.99 + $3.69 for a pop. The fajita plate is $14.99 + $3.69 for pop. When we went to Caseys it was $85 for 4 meals, but that was with 4 bags cotton candy.

At Pecos Bills the taco burger is $15.99 + $3.69 for a pop. The fajita plate is $14.99 + $3.69 for pop. When we went to Caseys it was $85 for 4 meals, but that was with 4 bags cotton candy.

Minor nit: Sodas across MK are $3.29, not $3.69.

Minor nit: Sodas across MK are $3.29, not $3.69.

I'm not sure, just going off AllEars menus which have some QS pops listed at "$3.29/$3.69" (although Pecos is not one of them). I was assuming those were size options, like medium for $3.29 or large for $3.69.

The way this should have been one is to let people buy a voucher that would give 20% or so off of certain restaurants at MK for the day. This would keep the guests at the park. The price of the discount voucher would have to be priced so that it was a deal. Then at least everyone would save some if they bought cheap or expensive meals.

I'm not sure, just going off AllEars menus which have some QS pops listed at "$3.29/$3.69" (although Pecos is not one of them). I was assuming those were size options, like medium for $3.29 or large for $3.69.

Based on our recent trip, there is no longer a choice of sizes. All sodas are $3.29. The menus on Disney's own website bear this out.

The cotton candy probably added another $30 to it alone! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter