One day quick service

So are we switching from discussing saving a few bucks with this promotion to the quality/dietary benefits of Disney QS in this thread?

I won't argue that this may not be the best plan for everyone. But some families might need to look into it. I just did the math for MY family and it looks like it would save us about $15. Here are the numbers I got based on what my family would probably eat at each of the restaurants. (NOTE: none of these numbers include tax)

Total Cost of One Day Plan-3 adults/1child=$99 before tax

What were you ordering because I also thought there was opportunity to save some money but when I pulled up menus, I couldn't find anything priced high enough to make that happen (with what you could get on the 1 day plan).

I'm just curious so don't take this negative, I'm also trying to decide if I might want to buy it some days.

I think that this is to keep people in the park. Plus I bet that prices will be going up.

This is my thought as well. Then again I think this might be disney comparing themselves to the area and seeing that some theme parks are using 1 day of food as a lure to get you away from disney so they want to put themselves on equal footing for the day tripper.

I also think to a degree, this is to help someone know what the day at disney will cost. "we need 2 meals, we need tickets". I can't imagine what someone who only has 1 day spontaneous sees when they try to look if they can afford disney. I know when I did seaworld recently the food option was a quick way to say "oh it's this much to go today" although they are priced to save money for meals over 1 day vs out of pocket if you know you will be there..

and that might be the draw as well. keep you in the park from lunch to dinner or want to come before lunch instead of just an afternoon in the park arriving after you eat elsewhre and leaving when you need dinner. I actually saw a lot of vlogs lately of international offsite travelers doing this. They would only be in disney for the price of ticket and do all their other spending elsewhere.

I think this would be more for people who are just going to the park for 1 day, and couldn't be arsed to bring their own food, or whatever. I'm sure some people will find value in it, but I personally like the dining plan better, and never go for just one day, so...

It averages out to break even...what is the point?

Convenience. You can give your preteens a pre-paid meal ticket and send them on their way.

That's just locked in to a lot of high fat/high salt food at magic kingdom...why up front?

Did I miss something? Did the fast food at Disney parks become "good" all of a sudden? Because it's largely not with not too many exceptions...

Who said anything about food quality?

If this isn't for you (the general you), why does anyone else care who uses it and why? It's not for me and my family at this point, but if it works for someone else, good for them.

I won't argue that this may not be the best plan for everyone. But some families might need to look into it. I just did the math for MY family and it looks like it would save us about $15. Here are the numbers I got based on what my family would probably eat at each of the restaurants. (NOTE: none of these numbers include tax)

Total Cost of One Day Plan-3 adults/1child=$99 before tax

Columbia Harbor House- Lunch 57.33

Cosmic Rays Starlight Café-Dinner 60.12

Total=117.45

Casey's Corner-Lunch 51.22

Pecos Bills-Dinner 64.62

Total=115.84

Pinocchio Village Haus-Lunch 47.33

Tomorrowland Terrace-Dinner 53.72

Total=101.05

It would save us money, especially because if we actually do this it would be with the top option of Columbia Harbor House and Cosmic Rays. The others are not our favorites. We drink water all day but prefer soda with our meals. We don't often share because we like to eat different things. I agree the plan is not the best 'budget' option but it is a good way to save a few dollars for some families. Perhaps it shouldn't be condemned as a Disney con just because it doesn't work for YOU.

I would expect the 1st change will be a Casey's kids meal (or a limit to kids ordering the basic Casey's meal)...it's the only way to save any money on this...

I mean, here's a normal family at not the cheapest meals or restaurants...even here, if you normally drink water, you still lose...4 adults, 2 kids...cost of plan is $140/no tax - regular order...

CHH
(Parents) 2 Lobster Rolls with chips $13.99/each
(Disney "Adult" Kids) 2 Chicken Breast Nuggets and Fish with fries and apples $11.49
(Disney Kids) 2 Kid Chicken Nuggets and Fish $6.99 (this has soda)
Lunch Total (No tax) $64.94

Cosmic Ray's
(Dad) 1 1/2 Chicken and Pulled Pork with sides $15.99
(Mom) 1 Grilled Chicken Club with fries $11.99
(Oldest Kid) 1 Bacon Cheeseburger with fries $12.99
(2nd oldest Kid) 8 Piece Chicken Breast Nuggets with fries $9.99
(Disney Kids) 1 Nugget Meal and 1 Mac and Cheese Meal $6.99 and $6.49
Dinner Total (No tax) $64.44

Total both meals $129.38 - Disney wins by $10.62...or gives me 8 sodas which definitely don't cost them over $1 each, so they still win...

Yes, that family could find the most expensive things to order to "make it work", but since you have to buy before you enter the park and you don't know where you'll be at lunch, imagine you are at Pinocchios (one of the cheapest places) or Casey's (and you hate chili and BBQ) and how much you'll "lose" in value, except for the $3+ sodas...Disney will probably get more money almost every time, especially from those who didn't obsessively plan ahead...there are not that many of those...

If you go to the Universal boards, everyone knows their CS plan is equally crappy, but Universal offers deals on it at certain times of year AND lets you buy it in the restaurant, so if you happen to have someone who wants the most expensive thing on the menu, you buy the plan and end up with a few free drinks...at least they let you know if it works for you at point of purchase (ie - the restaurant) before you buy it...

Convenience. You can give your preteens a pre-paid meal ticket and send them on their way.

If this isn't for you (the general you), why does anyone else care who uses it and why? It's not for me and my family at this point, but if it works for someone else, good for them.

I don't see the market and you have to stretch it to even make it a value...what's the audience?

And so people travel to wdw to "cut there preteens loose"?
That's what happens in one of the most expensive places to travel?

Perhaps...but you would have to admit that's a very minuscule market...

I mean, here's a normal family at not the cheapest meals or restaurants...even here, if you normally drink water, you still lose...4 adults, 2 kids...cost of plan is $140/no tax - regular order...

CHH
(Parents) 2 Lobster Rolls with chips $13.99/each
(Disney "Adult" Kids) 2 Chicken Breast Nuggets and Fish with fries and apples $11.49
(Disney Kids) 2 Kid Chicken Nuggets and Fish $6.99 (this has soda)
Lunch Total (No tax) $64.94

Cosmic Ray's
(Dad) 1 1/2 Chicken and Pulled Pork with sides $15.99
(Mom) 1 Grilled Chicken Club with fries $11.99
(Oldest Kid) 1 Bacon Cheeseburger with fries $12.99
(2nd oldest Kid) 8 Piece Chicken Breast Nuggets with fries $9.99
(Disney Kids) 1 Nugget Meal and 1 Mac and Cheese Meal $6.99 and $6.49
Dinner Total (No tax) $64.44

Total both meals $129.38 - Disney wins by $10.62...or gives me 8 sodas which definitely don't cost them over $1 each, so they still win...

Yes, that family could find the most expensive things to order to "make it work", but since you have to buy before you enter the park and you don't know where you'll be at lunch, imagine you are at Pinocchios (one of the cheapest places) or Casey's (and you hate chili and BBQ) and how much you'll "lose" in value, except for the $3+ sodas...Disney will probably get more money almost every time, especially from those who didn't obsessively plan ahead...there are not that many of those...

If you go to the Universal boards, everyone knows their CS plan is equally crappy, but Universal offers deals on it at certain times of year AND lets you buy it in the restaurant, so if you happen to have someone who wants the most expensive thing on the menu, you buy the plan and end up with a few free drinks...at least they let you know if it works for you at point of purchase (ie - the restaurant) before you buy it...

Good points.

What this does...as always with disney...is then guaranteeing revenue on low operational cost items that they pay for and having the consumer be forced to order right to left to "make out" in the deal. That's kinda what's been going on with the regular dining plan for years.

Plus...as many have speculated...they could go ahead and increase the quickserve prices by $5 a meal to get everybody...more money for nothing more.

That is EXACTLY what happened with the sitdowns.
How would you like your $48 ny strip prepared?

What if you have the awful casey hotdog for lunch and are turned off and eat light for dinner?

You've lost.

There is no justifiable advantage to this...none.

Just because you can come up with scenarios where Disney "wins" doesn't automatically negate the entire program. As I and other people demonstrated, it's fairly easy to come with a way to make this voucher into a tiny bit of savings.

The fact that you're choosing to completely ignore that part of the analysis tells me that your mind is made up, so I won't bother wasting any more time here.

I don't see much going for this either.

If you assume that everyone orders lobster rolls at CHH then I see it. However some will and some won't so it's questionable whether that many people would save a little. If prices go up then it makes more sense.

Just because you can come up with scenarios where Disney "wins" doesn't automatically negate the entire program. As I and other people demonstrated, it's fairly easy to come with a way to make this voucher into a tiny bit of savings.

The fact that you're choosing to completely ignore that part of the analysis tells me that your mind is made up, so I won't bother wasting any more time here.
I think it's negligible...so why bother with negligible?

Most people who are able to afford to go to WDW could care less how much food costs!!!! There are millions that walk though those gates on a weekly basis. This is just another great way to offer this service for guests as they can just pay for it all at one time for the day. I find that the rebuttal on this thread is really funny as I see most kids with balloons that cost over $15-20.

Most people who are able to afford to go to WDW could care less how much food costs!!!! There are millions that walk though those gates on a weekly basis. This is just another great way to offer this service for guests as they can just pay for it all at one time for the day. I find that the rebuttal on this thread is really funny as I see most kids with balloons that cost over $15-20.

It's a bit frustrating to some fans because it seems like yet another attempt to repackage and resell the same products without offering anything of value to the customer. I suppose it could be viewed as a convenience item. So was the dining plan...and that had vastly diminished the overall dining experience for close to 10 years. It's not what we love about the place.

I would highly recommend not locking yourself into 2 quickserve in consecutive meals in the magic kingdom. To everyone.

It's a bit frustrating to some fans because it seems like yet another attempt to repackage and resell the same products without offering anything of value to the customer. I suppose it could be viewed as a convenience item. So was the dining plan...and that had vastly diminished the overall dining experience for close to 10 years. It's not what we love about the place.

I would highly recommend not locking yourself into 2 quickserve in consecutive meals in the magic kingdom. To everyone.

There is really nothing at Disney that is a value anymore. I remember when my girls were younger and we were able to go for 5nights/6 days for cheap. 7-8 yrs ago Disney had some amazing values as it was during the housing crisis and economic downturn they were begging for guests. Since those days are long gone we will never see deals like that again. I am glad we had 3 amazing visits and 1 cruise as great memories.

I think Disney is preying on people who don't know prices etc. Most people on this forum are not the average Disney consumer. Anyway the most expensive meals...Casey's $12.29, Columbia house $13.99, Cosmic Rays $14.99, Pecos $15.99, Pinocchio $12.49

The problem with this line of thinking is that it gives Disney the impression that this is what works for everyone and so they keep rolling out these "potential" savings opportunities.

Take the recent Disney After Hours. They rolled it out at a ridiculous $149 per person. A majority protested with their wallets. It went away and came back by "popular demand" at a much lower price. So, opinions on the internet spread like fire and by forming an opinion when new ideas come out is ultimately how the community tells Disney what it likes and what it doesn't like. I don't like this, even if it "works" for some people. Overall, I think it's a bad idea and I will share that opinion with people who ask me, ultimately hoping that Disney rethinks this idea and either does away with it or re-launches it with either a lower price or a redesigned concept.

I think Disney is preying on people who don't know prices etc. Most people on this forum are not the average Disney consumer. Anyway the most expensive meals...Casey's $12.29, Columbia house $13.99, Cosmic Rays $14.99, Pecos $15.99, Pinocchio $12.49

I saw a post on Facebook from someone describing this as an unbelievable deal - until it was pointed out that only if you pick the most expensive items is is really that good of a deal but clearly people will perceive it as one

(and I know some people place a lot of value on pre-paying for things and if you do, then great - but just on a $ for $ basis no way this is an 'amazing' deal)

Definitely seems to me to be some sort of group sales tool. You have a bus load of cheerleaders, you can pre-sell them lunch. Allows Mom or Dad who might not be on site to guarantee the money is spent on food and not something else.
A lodging guest can let their kid charge back to the room if they want.
I really don't see the advantage to a day tripper other than using this like a pre paid deal so a kid can run off....or maybe Grand parents gift to a grand kid they know is making the trip, so they want to "help out".
Financially it's bit of push.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter