Oh the Tragedy! No Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake this time! Updates x 5 9/30

Before I forget, we cancelled WCC for breakfast (even though we loved it in December), because Mark read your review of GFC and insisted on trying that.

Your food at Pecos Bills looks pretty good. We had a bad experience and haven't been back; perhaps, we should give it another try.

I would go to HDDR for the baked beans and the ribs...two of my favorite things.

I just wanted to jump in and let you know how much I love your dining reviews! I know I have commented in a report of yours somewhere but probably not this one. I am trying to do more participating and less lurking. ;)

I have to tell you that we remain LTT/Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake virgins even though I have had lunch reservations on our last two trips. Somehow these never work out for us and always end up a last minute cancel. Ugh! Next time!

Brenda

Hoop de looks awesome. I will have to put that on my list as Wil will love the menu!!!

Good news. Mom is ok.

Pecos Bill looks good. We just never get around to trying it. Hoping to get into BOG for lunch next trip. If not maybe we will try there.

Glad you enjoyed HDD. My aversion to anything even remotely like Western music keeps me away.

Hi Brenda :flower3:
Fab review of HDDR
We loved our dinner there a couple of years ago - such a fun night out
I am with you on the cornbread, I would happily eat that all to myself :thumbsup2

I haven't been to HDD since my kids were in grade school, but I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun and kept the kids super entertained. They loved it. I do remember the sangria being just "eh". We had a super awesome seat right up by the stage and I loved how they got everyone to participate.

As said before - definitely something everyone should do once because it was a lot of fun.

Wow you always dine at such delicious places!! How wonderful! I saw the table where we sat at Via Napoli (under the Firenze poster. I remember because some people see an Italian reference, I see a Harry Potter reference. :confused3 )

You sure do love the Grand Floridian Cafe breakfast!! Breakfast is so hard for us to make but I am going to make it over there for lunch!

Wow Brenda!! You've updated like CRAZY!!!

I think the HDDR show is more like the Golden Horseshoe Players at DL with a little skit and music. I sincerely miss the Billy's at Disneyland though!!

I think I better get to cruising on my reviews as I am no where near complete and only have a few days before my next trip!!

You brought back some great memories reading about hoop dee doo!!! I grew up going to Disneyland and every trip my brother and I would wAit in line an hour and 1/2 before the first show at the Golden Horseshoe to see Billy and the gang camp it up!! Well on one trip I brought plastic squirt guns.

The reason we waited in line so early was we wanted one of the little stage side tables!!! Do you remember when they used squirt guns on the people watching from those tables?? Well suffice to say we stopped the show that day when we squirted them back, lol.

They had the 'mayor' arrest us, lol. It was so much fun and such a great memory!!!:goodvibes:

Okay, so I fell a bit behind, so don't mind my flurry of comments.

Hey there Danielle! No worries, I'm just glad to see you still hanging in there and still reading. :)

We loved our breakfast at the Captain's Grille in January. I went there thanks to your recommendation on your dining threads. :thumbsup2

You can't go wrong with Mickey waffles. When all else fails, eat the Mickey waffles. Sorry that the buffet was less than stellar. My Mom and I ordered off the menu and everything was great.

I'm ordering off the menu next time if I see those round egg dishes.

Yay Marissa!
:)

I love the shot at 50's with everyone's TIW card out. That's what happens when you get a bunch of DISer's together.

That was a funny moment. At least for us... not sure Cindy thought so.

Having missed out on a carrot cake cookie the last two trips, I have to make sure I get one this time. Just so many treats and not enough time!
And did you???

48 ounce steak?! Okay, that totally reminds me of the Great Outdoors. :lmao: But I think that steak was like a 96 ouncer or something super obnoxious like that.

We actually have a Shula's in Chicago, we've just never gone there. I think it's a reason why we don't go out of our way to go in WDW, because we have one here.

I'd die if I tried to eat a 48 ounce anything! I see Shula's as similar to Morton's Steakhouse. We have one near us so wouldn't think of going to a Morton's on vacation.

The margherita pizza is my go to at Via Napoli. So good.

I would have cried if my pizza fell on the ground! Was it a guest that knocked it over, or a CM?

Our taste buds are related!!

The story goes like this... The CM walked by and knocked the pizza pan on the floor. I hand it to the guests, they stayed calm and didn't freak out. They replaced their pizza pretty quickly.

Of course you got a waffle! Deep down we're all creatures of habit, right? My Mom could totally make you a legit Belgian Waffle. She made them for us regularly when we were growing up. :goodvibes If you lived closer, we'd totally have you over. LOL.
Of course! I'm a certified, admitted, no shame creature of habit.

I'd totally let your mom make me a legit Belgian Waffle! :thumbsup2

Okay, weird that the couple asked to be moved. It wasn't you for sure. Weirdos. :rotfl2:
I think they knew they were in danger of having fun!

Dinner at CG looks great. That's still another one on my list that I haven't done yet. I have many. :lmao: I'm slowly making the rounds.
What? No CG yet? I'm shocked. Try it sometime.

Breakfast at GFC looks amazing. The vanilla laced french toast especially.
Oh my gosh! I am obsessed with that French toast. It is seriously worthy of a breakfast repeat.

Wow, green salsa less popular than red. Salsa verde is my favorite! I normally pile them both on top of each other.
Or maybe... they just restocked the green and not the red yet. I could be completely misleading people with my observations. I'm becoming more of a green salsa lover than in years past. I prefer the green salsa over the red at San Angel Inn.

Haven't been back to HDDR in a few years, but the last time we went my brother Jason was pulled up on stage to be part of the show. That was extremely entertaining.

I imagine your family would be hilarious at HDDR. Your dad up on stage, watch out!

I think I'm officially at my emoticon limit now!

Man, we were just at MK yesterday and almost went to pecos for lunch. If I'd have know they had onion rings I likely would have gone in, as the looked delish? Hit up our standby CHH instead.

I haven't done hoop do do since I was a kid, largely because of the price tag but good to know they take TiW and it's all I can drink ; ) of course for that much money I'd expect a little more ingenuity than canned corn and an iceberg lettuce salad. Sounds like you may just be visiting knotts more often ; )

Oh no! You were so close! Next time I'm getting an order of my own onion rings.

HDDR is all you can drink AND accepts TiW - a winning combo. Personally, I love the corn bread and the beans.

Hoop Dee Doo is a definite must do at least once in a lifetime. We went for the first time in Feb 2013. The food was pretty good and the show was fun. We had a great time. But I don't think it was something that we would do very often. My guess is that the show doesn't ever change. And you can get some of the same food at Trail's End plus much more. :)

Hi Sue! I hope you are enjoying your latest trip to WDW!

I'm more inclined to try Trails End than return to HDDR anytime soon. It was nice but not a must do.

I am excited to try the HDDR this trip for my mom's birthday! I hope she enjoys it! The food looks yummy!

Thanks for sharing!

Hey there, no problem, glad to share!

So what did you think of HDDR?? :)

Before I forget, we cancelled WCC for breakfast (even though we loved it in December), because Mark read your review of GFC and insisted on trying that.

Your food at Pecos Bills looks pretty good. We had a bad experience and haven't been back; perhaps, we should give it another try.

I would go to HDDR for the baked beans and the ribs...two of my favorite things.

Now I'm going to have to see what you think of GFC. I hope it lived up to the legendary status that I give it!

I will say that Pecos Bill's has a very limited menu so you pretty much have to be in the mood for a taco salad or burger or pork sandwich when you decide to eat there. Bummer that they lost KatMark as a repeat customer. Their loss! :lmao:

I just wanted to jump in and let you know how much I love your dining reviews! I know I have commented in a report of yours somewhere but probably not this one. I am trying to do more participating and less lurking. ;)

I have to tell you that we remain LTT/Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake virgins even though I have had lunch reservations on our last two trips. Somehow these never work out for us and always end up a last minute cancel. Ugh! Next time!
Thank you Stacy! I'm thrilled that you are lurking less and commenting more. Seriously, thanks for reading.

Oh man! Once you try that place - especially the toffee cake, you'll see the reason for my insane love of that dessert. Maybe next time.

Brenda

Hoop de looks awesome. I will have to put that on my list as Wil will love the menu!!!

Hi Beth! If Wil loves BBQ AND strawberry shortcake it will be a perfect choice. :)

Good news. Mom is ok.

Pecos Bill looks good. We just never get around to trying it. Hoping to get into BOG for lunch next trip. If not maybe we will try there.

Glad you enjoyed HDD. My aversion to anything even remotely like Western music keeps me away.

Thanks for sharing that good news Niki! That is a relief.

If you put Pecos Bills next to BoG for lunch - I'd have to choose BoG.... stay tuned since that was our final meal at WDW.

Ha ha! The HDDR show is more hillbilly show tunes.

Hi Brenda :flower3:
Fab review of HDDR
We loved our dinner there a couple of years ago - such a fun night out
I am with you on the cornbread, I would happily eat that all to myself :thumbsup2

Hi Linda! That cornbread was really, really good. Did they offer veggie options?? HDDR is a great place to go with friends - makes it even more entertaining.

I haven't been to HDD since my kids were in grade school, but I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun and kept the kids super entertained. They loved it. I do remember the sangria being just "eh". We had a super awesome seat right up by the stage and I loved how they got everyone to participate.

As said before - definitely something everyone should do once because it was a lot of fun.

HDDR is definitely an entertaining option for kids. You likely don't hear the littles say they are bored during dinner. About that sangria...I agree, for me it was meh. I didn't finish one glass.

Wow you always dine at such delicious places!! How wonderful! I saw the table where we sat at Via Napoli (under the Firenze poster. I remember because some people see an Italian reference, I see a Harry Potter reference. :confused3 )

You sure do love the Grand Floridian Cafe breakfast!! Breakfast is so hard for us to make but I am going to make it over there for lunch!

Your HP frame of reference is funny! I must admit that I'm a reformed HP fan now that we've visited US/IoA AND Em had me watch all of the movies before our visit. Oh my gosh. I can't wait to go back.

Ok, so back to the food.... ;)

We've enjoyed other meals at GFC - especially their dessert selections. Yum.

Wow Brenda!! You've updated like CRAZY!!!

I think the HDDR show is more like the Golden Horseshoe Players at DL with a little skit and music. I sincerely miss the Billy's at Disneyland though!!

I think I better get to cruising on my reviews as I am no where near complete and only have a few days before my next trip!!

Ha ha! I update so infrequent that I get them done when I can. ;)

I hear ya. Now that those performers are at Knott's I don't feel the need to follow them for their performance.

About now you have probably already headed East. Have fun and see ya later!

You brought back some great memories reading about hoop dee doo!!! I grew up going to Disneyland and every trip my brother and I would wAit in line an hour and 1/2 before the first show at the Golden Horseshoe to see Billy and the gang camp it up!! Well on one trip I brought plastic squirt guns.

The reason we waited in line so early was we wanted one of the little stage side tables!!! Do you remember when they used squirt guns on the people watching from those tables?? Well suffice to say we stopped the show that day when we squirted them back, lol.

They had the 'mayor' arrest us, lol. It was so much fun and such a great memory!!!:goodvibes:

Hi Sunnie! Ahhh what great memories. Oh my gosh, you didn't!! :lmao: That would have been THE show to watch with your squirt guns. I don't remember the squirt guns but I remember when they'd perform outside and then take the show indoors. I heard their last performance was packed with their loyal followers.

Whispering Canyon Café Breakfast - Wed. May 7, 2014

DSCN5526.jpg

Breakfast this morning was with Paula and Hunter, who were staying at WL so beat us to the restaurant. They were already seated in our favorite server’s section once we arrived. Jeff (Jeffro Bodeen) is a low key, mild mannered, not-so-much into antics kinda guy. Perfect for us. I’d eaten breakfast at WCC 5 other times – ever since our first visit in February 2012 we have returned every trip since. This has become one of my favorite breakfast restaurants. Michael had been here once before in August 2012. Jeff treated him to a complimentary second entrée that time so he has sweet memories of this place.

Restaurant photos
DSCN5499.jpg

DSCN5488.jpg

I love the captions on the menu; trailblazing starters and main claim entrees.

Menu:
DSCN5500.jpg

DSCN5490.jpg

DSCN5492.jpg

DSCN5493.jpg

DSCN5494.jpg

DSCN5495.jpg

DSCN5497.jpg

I was very impressed to see Jeffro had a breakfast entrée named after him! And it is my all-time favorite item. I asked if he receives any royalties for the use of his name. There is the fact it is pretty much job security to have a dish named after you. (Although Jeffro Bodeen is a “stage name”)

So Yes, I ordered the waffle with a scrambled egg, no surprise there…. while Michael ordered the Eggs Benedict similar to what he’d had last time.

May I present Jeffro Bodeen’s Belgian Waffle: with Maple Butter and Candied Pecan Topping with choice of Bacon or Sausage $10.99
DSCN5506.jpg

DSCN5507.jpg

Jeff presented us with the regular syrup and a “special” syrup. The “special” syrup was heated so of course I thought that was pretty good!

“Special” syrup and butter:
DSCN5501.jpg

“Regular” syrup
DSCN5502.jpg

This glorious Mickey shaped waffle was awesome. Although the waffle itself is no different that many waffles at WDW, it stepped it up a notch with the maple butter and the candied pecans. Michael noted that it looked like Mickey had an unfortunate growth on his eye. Nice! I’m getting ready to eat this thing you know.

Eggs Benedict: Poached Eggs on English Muffin, Canadian Bacon, and BBQ Hollandaise Sauce served with Western Home Fries $11.99
DSCN5505.jpg

Michael said the eggs were perfectly poached and the hollandaise was tasty as well. Same as last visit, he enjoyed his breakfast.

Someone asked for ketchup…. Which is a sure way to incite some antics. Typically they yell out KETCHUP and everyone brings their bottles of ketchup to your table. Jeff took matters into his own hands and built a ketchup pyramid on our table. I think we had enough ketchup.

DSCN5513.jpg

There were some drink refills brought to our table…

From a thirsty Hunter….

DSCN5511.jpg

To Paula that said she’s like just a little more….

DSCN5519.jpg

Paula and Hunter with their papa bear, mama bear, and baby bear size drinks:

DSCN5520.jpg

This was an excellent breakfast! Using our TiW card we saved $5.19 for our two entrees. Coincidently, it was at this last meal together that Jeff switched around my TiW card with Paula’s. I didn’t notice until that evening when the Kona Café lady mentioned something. It wasn’t an issue the rest of the trip but it can happen if you give your cards to the server at the same time.

A couple last photos with Jeff

DSCN5524.jpg

DSCN5525.jpg

And then we had to part ways. :sad1: Until we meet again!

Up Next: Le Cellier lunch
[/CENTER]

Le Cellier lunch - Wed. May 7, 2014

DSCN5704.jpg

Le Cellier and I have a love/hate relationship. I LOVE the pretzel bread but hate the revisions following its conversion to Signature status. The mushroom filet is fabulous but I am not a fan of the larger portion that had the price jacked up accordingly. I had trouble finishing the filet before the make-over. Since I can’t get anyone to share this entrée with me I’m left to choose something else so that I don’t waste so much food and subsequent cash-ola. For me, loving pretzel bread isn’t really a logical reason to book an ADR here.
Michael on the other hand does not have this conflict since he’s only been to Le Cellier one other time and had a great dining experience. He requested to eat at this place this trip and so it was done!

We were seated in the two top mush-pot seat mid dining room – apparently the British Columbia province. Hey, that’s the only Canadian province that we’ve visited, very appropriate. Candice was our awesome server…. Very friendly, efficient, and attentive.

Restaurant photos.
DSCN5719.jpg

DSCN5762.jpg

Menu:
DSCN5720.jpg

The star entrée
DSCN5724.jpg

DSCN5725.jpg

An entire poutine section no less
DSCN5722.jpg

DSCN5723.jpg

We were started with a basket of bread or rather pretzel bread since I shared with Candice that any other bread would be a waste. Pretzel bread and butter = a delicious meal itself!

DSCN5736.jpg

We decided to eat light since we still had dinner plans that we were not going to push out to later. That and the fact that I wasn’t really hungry.
All our choices were from the appetizer menu. I chose the cheddar cheese soup while Michael went with the pork belly and the asparagus.

Starting with Michael’s choices…. The pork belly was a big slab of flavorful pork fat. I’m sure the lentils added some interesting dimension to the dish; however, Michael didn’t think this was anything that special. When comparing it to the California Grill version, the preferred California Grill’s.

Kurobuta Pork Belly: Braised Pork Belly, Beluga Lentils, Fennel-Orange Marmalade, Ephemere Reduction $14
DSCN5745.jpg

As for the grilled asparagus, this was incredible. I had a bite and agreed with his assessment. For $14 I think I was over-priced.

Delta Asparagus: Olive Vinaigrette, Morel Mushrooms, Reypenaer Cheese $14
DSCN5747.jpg

All together now:
DSCN5749.jpg

This soup is my favorite in all of WDW! It is wonderfully smoky from the bacon and tangy from the sharp cheddar and the ale – such a great combo. I’ve been given the recipe for this soup in the past but I don’t dare make it since I don’t want to shatter the image of this lovely dish by making it myself. Surely it will not live up to my expectations if I had to re-create it myself.

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup: Moosehead Beer and Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Bacon $10
DSCN5753.jpg

In case anyone is wondering…. No, I didn’t ask Michael to duck out of my photo and find him on the ground because he fell out of his chair like Em (see my August 2013 DR for this epic mother of the year moment!)

We didn’t leave room for dessert which was unfortunate since I love the maple crème brulee. Occasionally, wisdom wins the internal struggle I have regarding dessert or no dessert.

Using TiW, we saved $8.80.

When we were exiting I saw the collection of aperitifs and cordials on display. Last time I messed with their display desserts I stuck my finger in the semifredo to discover that it was real. Oops! Likewise I noticed that the booze appeared to be real. I can’t imagine they would have shots poured and sitting out but stranger things have happened.

Up Next: Kona Café dinner

Kona Café Dinner - Wed. May 7, 2014

DSCN6119.jpg

I was excited to share a Kona Café dinner with Michael since he’s only eaten breakfast at this place. Em and I have been to Kona for dinner a couple times and really enjoyed our experience. Of course my opinion is heavily swayed by the amazing Kona pineapple bread with the macadamia nut butter. This stuff is good enough to shout out an amen! So with that background, I was expecting great things coming into this meal.

We passed by the desserts that were displayed when we were seated. That warm apple tart caught my attention… hmmm maybe I would leave room for dessert.

DSCN6117.jpg

I wasn’t going to look at a menu since I knew what I wanted already. I asked Michael if he would split the teriyaki steak with me. He replied there was no teriyaki steak on the menu. Silly guy, I thought he wasn’t reading correctly. I grabbed a menu and had the following reaction….

giphy1.gif

He was right. The menu no longer had the teriyaki version of the New York Strip Steak. Not only had they replaced it with a Molasses Bacon-Butter version they got rid of the sticky rice AND the broccolini. This was unacceptable! I flagged down the waitress and asked how this travesty could have taken place. Ok not literally but you get my point. The menu had been changed in the last week and they updated the NY Strip Steak. No Bueno, not good indeed.

Menu options minus the teriyaki steak
DSCN6124.jpg

DSCN6125.jpg

DSCN6126.jpg

Sushi options:
DSCN6127.jpg

DSCN6129.jpg

I had a predicament. I had no idea what to order now since Michael was getting sushi that eliminated sharing since I don’t eat fish – especially uncooked fish. Alrighty then, I decided to order a couple appetizers, the fried shrimp and the pot stickers.

We were stared with the amazing pineapple bread with the macadamia nut butter. This stuff may be medicinal it’s so good. I ate about ½ the loaf myself. Don't judge! You know you would too!

DSCN6138.jpg

I was hopeful that I had landed on a good alternative to the steak so when the food arrived, it looked good.

Starting with the fried shrimp, both Michael and I ordered this appetizer. I through the fried shrimp part of the dish was very good. However, the passion fruit-mustard sauce was very sour and it became very annoying after about 5 bites. It was a little too drab to eat without some sort of sauce so for this dish although it started off strong, it lost its luster very quickly. I doubt I’d order this again unless there was some substitute for the sauce.

Fried Shrimp: with Passion Fruit-Mustard Sauce $14.99
DSCN6151.jpg

As for the pot stickers, I wish I had recalled what these tasted like last time I ordered them. I wouldn’t have made the same mistake twice. Note to self…..these are nowhere near as good as ‘Ohana’s pot stickers. I did not like the creamy soy-ginger sauce. Cross that one off the list.

Pot Stickers: Wok Seared Pork and Vegetable Dumplings with a Creamy Soy-Ginger Sauce $7.99
DSCN6154.jpg

The remaining items were the sushi options that Michael ordered that he thought were fine. He didn’t have any complaints but then again, most things are fine for him.

Cucumber Roll $8.99
DSCN6153.jpg

Kona Combo Plate: California Luau Roll [Jumbo Lump Crab, Pineapple, Avocado], Salmon Sashimi, and Tuna Poke $13.99
DSCN6147.jpg

We didn’t order dessert since we ended up having plans to meet up with a DISer at MK. I’d taken enough chances with what we had ordered already and I had a Karamel Kuche salted caramel brownie still uneaten back in our room.

The best part of this meal for me was the bread and sadly that’s not enough incentive to get me to come back. I shared with Em the updated menu and she agreed that we’d leave Kona Café dinner off our dining rotation next trip.

Using our TiW card we saved $12.79.

Next Up: Crystal Palace Breakfast

Mega food update!

I loved this one because:

A. That was on my birthday, so shout out to May 7th.:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

B. I have been wanting to try Whispering Canyon for breakfast and since I will be there in LESS THAN A MONTH - we may just have to walk in and give it a go.

C. We also have an ADR at Kona, which I was thinking of canceling, but I totally forgot they have sushi. So I think I am going to keep it! I have heard that so many people love that steak - hard to believe it's gone from the menu. But its looks like you guys found many wonderful items to replace it.

Ooh Brenda, you are spoiling me with not 1, but 3 new reviews today :goodvibes

First off, in answer to your question about HDDR and vegetarian options, indeed they do. The chef stopped by at the beginning of the meal and ran through my options. The chicken and ribs etc. that Philip had were still the quantities for 2 people so he certainly didn't go hungry!!

Loved the review of WCC, I really enjoyed our breakfast there in December and Jethro was charming (Mr Waffle :laughing:)

Shame that the dinner at Kona didn't work out so well for you, I hope the brownie back in the room helped ease the disappointment :thumbsup2

I am finally caught up on your reviews! Starving now after looking at your recent photos. WCC for breakfast looks so good! If were not staying CL in Dec I would so go there.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Kona! My friend and I are going there next trip, but we're really just going for the sushi and bread!

Can't wait to hear about Crystal Palace since we'll be eating there too!

...it became very annoying after about 5 bites. ...

What a great way to describe a flavor! I will need to remember that the next time a flavor becomes too much for me (or too lacking). I post seldom but do enjoy your reports. Please, keep them coming.

It has been awhile since we have eaten at Kona. After reading your report and a few others, I do not think we need to hurry back. Michael's sushi looks very good though.

Kate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter