Oh My! – The Brits Are At It Again! **COMPLETED** 11/13/11

I'm going to look into the WTA for our next trip for sure! It sounds amazing! :lovestruc

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :goodvibes

The ice-cream sundaes look amazing. I could just eat one now :thumbsup2

Oh me too, if only I could pop out of the office and get one :laughing:

I'm glad you had a good time on your Wild Africa Trek! I'm sorry it was raining~ we loved the food too. They were very accomodating with us, as we had food allergies. Just for anyone's information, they have different offerings for the morning than they do for the afternoon. They also offer a kids' selection.

I'm curious...did you eat your flower? :flower3:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup2
I didn't eat the flower actually, can't remember why I didn't :confused3
It sure looked pretty though :lovestruc

That berry sundae does look great!!!!! I might have to get that but....I might miss the cable car. [marshmallow & chocolate] What a great place for a treat!!:thumbsup2

Ooh, the Cable Car sounds good; I might have to check that out next time popcorn::

'Ohana

Dinner this evening was another new restaurant to us; ‘Ohana

I have to admit I had fairly low expectations of this restaurant as I had probably seen more negative than positive reviews but as we had never tried it I though it was worth a shot

We had a 9.15pm ADR as I thought (and hoped) it would be a little less chaotic later in the evening; many of the complaints I have read in the past are from people having to wait an absolute age past their ADR time and then feeling rushed throughout the meal

No such problems for us; we checked in a little before 9pm and were seated less than 5 minutes later :thumbsup2

We were led to a great two top, handed our Welcome Bread and asked what we would like to drink

IMG_5062.jpg

'Ohana Welcome Bread

DH stuck with water and although I was tempted by the Lapu Lapu (which I have had before and loved) I decided on trying something new

IMG_5061-1.jpg

Backscratcher - Bacardi Superior rum, Myers's Original Dark rum, and passion fruit juice topped with Jack Daniel's and a bamboo backscratcher.

I did enjoy this but the Lapu Lapu still holds the Brit Award for best drink at the Poly

The lights were dimmed in the restaurant and the music for Wishes was piped in; it was very cool seeing the fireworks through the windows :lovestruc

We each tried a tiny piece of bread as we really didn’t want to fill up too much before the main event; it was OK but nothing special. I thought that it might be the same bread that is severed at the Kona Café for dinner (which is yummy) but I don’t think it is

I had mentioned on our reservation that I didn’t eat meat but having seen the menu beforehand I knew that I could easily make a meal from the Shrimp, Noodles, Veggies and Salad; however, when our Server returned with our drinks he was accompanied by the Chef who asked if I would like him to prepare me some vegetarian dishes, I explained that I didn’t want to be any trouble and was more than happy with what already available but he insisted and I happily accepted

Next we were presented with our Salad

IMG_5055.jpg

Mixed Greens with a Honey-Lime Dressing

This was huge and very fresh; I know that everyone raves about the dressing but I have to admit we both found it to be a little too sweet

Next I was delivered a vegetarian appetizer

IMG_5056.jpg

Baba Ganoush and Hummus with Breads

This was fantastic, both the Hummus and Baba Ganoush were obviously freshly made and were just packed full of flavour. Whereby Hummus is made with Chickpeas, Baba Ganoush is made with Eggplant and the two together is a wonderful combination :cloud9:

The breads that it was served with were little fried pieces of Pita, not at all greasy and the perfect accompaniment

Next on to DHs food:

IMG_5058.jpg

Dipping Sauces (With Hidden Mickey!)
House Made Peanut Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce
Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce

IMG_5059.jpg

Honey Coriander Chicken Wings & Pork Fried Dumplings

He loved both the Wings and the Dumplings; he really had to stop himself from eating the whole lot as we both new there was plenty more food to come

IMG_5060.jpg

Egg Noodles tossed in a Peanut Sauce & Broccoli

Oh boy, these noodles were absolutely delicious; I could have easily eaten all of them. The broccoli was perfectly cooked, it still had a nice bite to it (I hate overcooked vegetables) and everything was hot and fresh :love:

Next up the skewers of meat started to arrive and DH was in heaven

Sorry about the rather unappetising photo but I think there is a little bit of everything on this plate :rolleyes:

IMG_5063-1.jpg

Oak Grilled Chicken
Asian Barbecued Pork Loin
Marinated Sirloin Steak
Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp

Again DHs food was hot and perfectly cooked; he particularly enjoyed the steak which he tells me was cooked to a perfect medium and very tender

Another thing that I was really impressed with at ‘Ohana was the service; everyone was friendly and chatty and the whole meal was perfectly paced :thumbsup2

Our servers even timed the delivery of my appetizer and entrée so that DH and I could eat together even though my food was being prepared separately.

The Chef even personally delivered my meal and said that he really hoped that I enjoyed it

IMG_5064.jpg

Marinated Tofu, Rice, Stir Fried Vegetables & Broccoli

This was hands down one of, if not the, best plate of food I have had a WDW:worship:

The sauce was just incredible; it was slightly sweet, but not too sweet.

It was kind of a cross between a Teriyaki and a Peanut Sauce; total heaven :cloud9:

Everything on this plate was cooked to perfection

The only sad thing was that I couldn’t finish it all; it was such a huge portion

We were both fairly full by now but we were really looking forward to the dessert here

IMG_5068.jpg

‘Ohana Bread Pudding served a la mode with Bananas and Caramel Sauce

I don’t care how full you are you will devour this; it is heaven on a plate :banana:

The Bread Pudding is creamy, fluffy and light and together with the ice cream and sauce it is guaranteed to make you sound like you are in ‘that scene’ from When Harry Met Sally :rotfl:

So ‘Ohana was a huge hit with us and is somewhere we would love to return

As well as simply wonderful food, the service was superb, the atmosphere relaxing but fun and any evening that starts with an unexpected view of Wishes and ends with live Ukulele music and the best dessert ever is always going to be a winner in my book!!

Coming Up Next - Breakfast At The Castle

I am officially drooling. The pictures are mouth watering. I am so happy you enjoyed 'Ohanas, as this is one we are wanting to do next year even though it does get many negative reviews.
One question, do you know what the steak was marinaded in? DS is as picky as they come.Wonder if i could ask for it plain?

Now looking forward the Flying Fish.

I just loved your reviews, I subscribe as well a few of the places are on my list for my trip in May 2012.

We also loved Ohana meal past September. I know that they do get many negative reviews but we had a great experience!

However, maybe I need to pretend to be a vegetarian. I love your tofu meal!

I'm here! I will come back later to catch up...have to get a few things off my desk first. :goodvibes

I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience at 'OHana! My mom and I tried it the first time this past April and absolutely loved it. We will defintely be going there again on our next visit to WDW!

The vegetarian meal looks amazing! I think I would enjoy that as much as the regular food there. :goodvibes

Wow, Linda, lots of yummy reviews!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the WAT and your lunch at the Boma. We did too! I cannot wait to do it again. :goodvibes

Ohana looks good ...... as usual :laughing: - good to hear that you enjoyed your vegetarian option and don't get me started about that breadpudding - best thing ever! :thumbsup2

So excited about Ohana! This will be our 1st time here so I'm very excited!! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it soo much!

I'm so glad that you loved Ohana! It was my first visit there last month and I was a little worried as well but it ended up being my favorite meal of the entire trip and that bread pudding is AMAZING!! That was so nice of the chef to prepare a special meal for you, it makes me like Ohana even more. Loving the reviews!

Glad you loved Ohana! It can be very hit or miss for us, but when it's not a miss, it's such a fun and delicious evening. Plus, it was really cool seeing a side-by-side comparison of the traditional Ohana food and their special vegetarian dishes. :thumbsup2

Linda what a great review of O'Hanas :) We tried it for the first time in December and loved the food.

We too must have hit it on a good evening, but we had no complaints. I like my meat well done and had a skewer specially prepared. The food was flowing all the time and the servers kept on coming round with the skewers. We were near the open kitchen and had a great view.:goodvibes

‘that scene’ [/B]from When Harry Met Sally :rotfl:

Coming Up Next - Breakfast At The Castle

Enjoying your reviews thus far...and totally agree with the above statement!!! Lucky for me....no one else in my family likes the bread pudding!! I get a whole serving for 4 people all to myself!! Talk about gorging yourself on dessert...I walk out of 'Ohana about to bust!:rotfl:

Okay...I'm now caught up.

After seeing your burgers, we really need to make an effort to get to Beaches & Cream (we've never been).

My DH would agree with yours about the food at Flame Tree -- he loves the chicken and ribs.

We've never done Ohanas. If I show DH the picture of the bread pudding, that will be reason enough for him to go. Have you ever been to Raglan Road and had their bread pudding? If so, can you compare? DH really liked his bread pudding at RR.

Can't wait for mroe reviews.

Hi
Your vegetarian dinner looks great! I had dinner at Ohana when chef TJ was there, and I was also just going to eat the side dishes and shrimp since I don't eat any meat. Chef TJ made me the most delicious plate of vegetables tempura with rice, a little tofu (which I don't eat) and sauce on top. It was the best!!

Seeing the bread pudding makes me crave going back again. I had the bread pudding at Raglan Road then night before and really didn't care for it. It was dry and they barely gave us any sauce to pour in so I didn't think I would like Ohana's bread pudding much less love it so much. I also thought the broccoli was amazing and I don't really care for broccoli. I would love to know what they put on it to make it taste different.

Your vegetarian meal looked so good. I'm so happy to see they made sure you were happy too. Your review has been great. Thank you for taking the time to post!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Wild Africa Trek and the presentation of the food looks so good.

Yummy Ghiradelli Sundaes - we never got to try any and I am regretting that decision now.

Dinner at O'hana looks great! I have always been worried about booking a reservation because of the meat situation but am happy to read how the chef accomodated your vegetarian needs. Your appetiser and main looks yummy! :thumbsup2

I just booked O'Hana for Jan 27th. Thank you for the wonderful review.

I am officially drooling. The pictures are mouth watering. I am so happy you enjoyed 'Ohanas, as this is one we are wanting to do next year even though it does get many negative reviews.
One question, do you know what the steak was marinaded in? DS is as picky as they come.Wonder if i could ask for it plain?

Now looking forward the Flying Fish.

I just checked with DH and he doesn't think the steak had anything on it other than a little seasoning; he says it was really good :thumbsup2

I just loved your reviews, I subscribe as well a few of the places are on my list for my trip in May 2012.

We'll be there in May 2012 as well :goodvibes

We also loved Ohana meal past September. I know that they do get many negative reviews but we had a great experience!

However, maybe I need to pretend to be a vegetarian. I love your tofu meal!

It was great that we both enjoyed the food equally and even the dishes we shared were delicious :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience at 'OHana! My mom and I tried it the first time this past April and absolutely loved it. We will defintely be going there again on our next visit to WDW!

The vegetarian meal looks amazing! I think I would enjoy that as much as the regular food there. :goodvibes

I wouldn't hesitate to go back and it certainly isn't a place just for meat eaters :thumbsup2

Wow, Linda, lots of yummy reviews!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the WAT and your lunch at the Boma. We did too! I cannot wait to do it again. :goodvibes

Ohana looks good ...... as usual :laughing: - good to hear that you enjoyed your vegetarian option and don't get me started about that breadpudding - best thing ever! :thumbsup2

Oh Karin, I wish somebody could bring me a dish of that bread pudding right now :laughing:

So excited about Ohana! This will be our 1st time here so I'm very excited!! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it soo much!

I really hope you enjoy it as much as we did :goodvibes

I'm so glad that you loved Ohana! It was my first visit there last month and I was a little worried as well but it ended up being my favorite meal of the entire trip and that bread pudding is AMAZING!! That was so nice of the chef to prepare a special meal for you, it makes me like Ohana even more. Loving the reviews!

It was really sweet of the chef to make such an effort and totally unexpected; he seemed really please when I told him how great it was and how special it made my evening :cloud9:

Glad you loved Ohana! It can be very hit or miss for us, but when it's not a miss, it's such a fun and delicious evening. Plus, it was really cool seeing a side-by-side comparison of the traditional Ohana food and their special vegetarian dishes. :thumbsup2

I must admit I had read so many mixed reviews of 'Ohana I did wonder if we would enjoy it but if you don't try these places you'll never know and we always have such a great time that the food isn't the make or brake of the evening :goodvibes

Linda what a great review of O'Hanas :) We tried it for the first time in December and loved the food.

We too must have hit it on a good evening, but we had no complaints. I like my meat well done and had a skewer specially prepared. The food was flowing all the time and the servers kept on coming round with the skewers. We were near the open kitchen and had a great view.:goodvibes

The servers were doing a fantastic job all night and they made you feel so relaxed and welcome :)

Enjoying your reviews thus far...and totally agree with the above statement!!! Lucky for me....no one else in my family likes the bread pudding!! I get a whole serving for 4 people all to myself!! Talk about gorging yourself on dessert...I walk out of 'Ohana about to bust!:rotfl:

Wow all that bread pudding to yourself! you have a wonderful family :laughing:

After seeing your burgers, we really need to make an effort to get to Beaches & Cream (we've never been).

My DH would agree with yours about the food at Flame Tree -- he loves the chicken and ribs.

We've never done Ohanas. If I show DH the picture of the bread pudding, that will be reason enough for him to go. Have you ever been to Raglan Road and had their bread pudding? If so, can you compare? DH really liked his bread pudding at RR.

Can't wait for mroe reviews.

So happy to have you reading along :goodvibes
We've never been to Raglan Road but if the bread pudding is as good as 'Ohana I really should check it out :thumbsup2

Hi
Your vegetarian dinner looks great! I had dinner at Ohana when chef TJ was there, and I was also just going to eat the side dishes and shrimp since I don't eat any meat. Chef TJ made me the most delicious plate of vegetables tempura with rice, a little tofu (which I don't eat) and sauce on top. It was the best!!

Only in Disney would a chef make such a huge effort on a busy night :goodvibes

Seeing the bread pudding makes me crave going back again. I had the bread pudding at Raglan Road then night before and really didn't care for it. It was dry and they barely gave us any sauce to pour in so I didn't think I would like Ohana's bread pudding much less love it so much. I also thought the broccoli was amazing and I don't really care for broccoli. I would love to know what they put on it to make it taste different.

Your vegetarian meal looked so good. I'm so happy to see they made sure you were happy too. Your review has been great. Thank you for taking the time to post!

The broccoli was amazing and it's not often I rave about anything so virtuous :laughing:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Wild Africa Trek and the presentation of the food looks so good.

Yummy Ghiradelli Sundaes - we never got to try any and I am regretting that decision now.

Dinner at O'hana looks great! I have always been worried about booking a reservation because of the meat situation but am happy to read how the chef accomodated your vegetarian needs. Your appetiser and main looks yummy! :thumbsup2

You can try both on your next trip :thumbsup2

I just booked O'Hana for Jan 27th. Thank you for the wonderful review.

I hope you have a wonderful meal :goodvibes

I went to Raglan Road just for the bread pudding and the next night went to Ohana. I was really looking forward to the Raglan Road bread pudding but my DD and I didn't care for it. They gave us the two tiny pitchers with at most a tablespoon of sauce in each. (I never thought to ask for more because I never had it before and thought this was the norm.) It did nothing to make the pudding less dry. We came out of it thinking we must not like bread pudding because too many others like it so it has to be good.

Ohana's bread pudding was amazing. I didn't expect to like it and couldn't stop eating it. I'm trying to get someone to go back with me just so I can have that and the broccoli again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter