• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not Official: Big Changes to Disney Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that I agree with you. This August is the first time that we will be staying on property and actually eligible for the dining plan, so I looked into it a LOT. We usually buy and cook some meals to keep costs down, but DH said he actually kind of liked the idea of just getting food wherever we were + ADRs etc. So I said we could try eating in that style. For me, although the cost was significantly more than we usually pay for food, one of the attractive features was being able to pay in advance, because I am the budget worrier so the idea of pre-paying and not having to track how much we were spending on food to make sure it wasn't getting out of hand was really attractive. So attractive that I was willing to pay more for it; both way, way more than what we normally spend on food at WDW (by eating out more than we otherwise would) and a bit more than we would spend on food if we didn't have it pre-purchased, because we would probably end up ordering full meals each instead of sometimes sharing etc.

Here is the problem: we are a family of five and we do eat out once a day on vacation although previously it was a mix of on-site and off-site. When we eat out, we usually get 2-3 appetizers and share 1-2 desserts. My husband usually partakes of an alcoholic libation. When we eat QS, we tend to share 3 meals among us and make up the difference with extra park snacks. When I looked at the DDP, it was not the cost of the plan that shooed me away, it was not the fact that the plan would cost more than the same food OOP, and it wasn't the idea that we would be leaving large numbers of desserts or QS credits uneaten. What shooed me away was that on a daily basis I would still be paying so much OOP for the extra snacks (that we used instead of QS credits) and the extra appetizers (that sometimes would have been a soup or salad) and the beverages that the entire carefree aspect of having it paid in advance would be lost.

I'll have to go back and look again, and I'm still not sure that we'll do it. But I'll tell you that it wasn't the cost that shooed me away from the DDP because I was totally willing to pay a premium over the cost of the food for the convenience of having it pre-paid. It was the lack of flexibility, much of which is addressed with these changes, that made us decide not to do it.

This is all very true. Family of 5 here too. :wave2: It's one of the things that irks me about the dining plan, especially QS credits when the kids are really young. It's just WAY too much dang food, especially deserts and drinks at counter service restaurants. I remember our first year with the dining plan (free dining) throwing away, almost full, big cups of pop and lots of food at QS locations because we EACH ordered a whole meal. Way too much. We have since learned to use only 3 or so QS credits for lunch for instance, and bank the others for breakfasts, or a late night meal at the resort. (like sharing a small pizza or something by the pool).

Dan

In the past a lot of F&W items counted as snack credits, and I believe it's reasonable to assume that will be the same this year. However F&W booths, so far as I understand, have never been set up to accept QS credits. So I believe it is reasonable to assume they will not be able to convert QS credits to snack credits since they won't be able to take QS credits. I agree that we need to wait for official announcements and perhaps some alterations/adjustments early on as the changes are put in place, but these seem to be safe assumptions.
The lack of technology in the Booths might make a difference, for sure.

But Disney should figure a way to get that to work.

I'd gladly purchase the DxDP if the math works.

And it would seem safe to assume that people who purchase DxDP, in particular, are some of the very audience that enjoys the foodie adventure of F&W.

But if I'm visiting for F&W, and cannot utilize snack credits at a booth - the math falls apart again, if for no other reason than the difficulty eating around the world and having 3-squares a day prepaid.

You CAN use snack credits at F&W, but you CANNOT use QS credits. That is why doing the QS/snack exchange will not work at the kiosks. Not to mention, if people will go back and read the unofficial announcement, it gives you a list of where this will be allowed. It is NOT at every QS location around WDW; it is a very limited amount of places. To me this makes it all even more confusing. Another PP said they liked it because now they knew they could get any entree and two items marked with the snack logo or just get three items marked with the snack logo. It does not look like you will be able to do that everywhere. It will only be allowed at the designated places.

It is NOT at every QS location around WDW; it is a very limited amount of places. To me this makes it all even more confusing.
See, this is why it is confusing and why I am worried this flexibility is only going to backfire. It IS every quick service restaurant, meaning a place that sells full meals (it says so in a small sentence at the top prior to the list of places you can convert), just not every snack only place (like Aloha Isle) and only some merchandise stops.

If this, MEAL ENTITLEMENT CONVERSION
Effective May 31 at quick service restaurants and select merchandise locations (listed below), Guests may substitute one Meal entitlement for up to 3 eligible Snack plan items within the same transaction,
is what you are referring to, then you read it differently than I do. The "listed below" includes the QS locations that are indeed listed below and only those locations will do the meal/snack exchange. I didn't see any other sentence referring to ALL QS locations.

Here is the problem: we are a family of five and we do eat out once a day on vacation although previously it was a mix of on-site and off-site. When we eat out, we usually get 2-3 appetizers and share 1-2 desserts. My husband usually partakes of an alcoholic libation. When we eat QS, we tend to share 3 meals among us and make up the difference with extra park snacks. When I looked at the DDP, it was not the cost of the plan that shooed me away, it was not the fact that the plan would cost more than the same food OOP, and it wasn't the idea that we would be leaving large numbers of desserts or QS credits uneaten. What shooed me away was that on a daily basis I would still be paying so much OOP for the extra snacks (that we used instead of QS credits) and the extra appetizers (that sometimes would have been a soup or salad) and the beverages that the entire carefree aspect of having it paid in advance would be lost.

I'll have to go back and look again, and I'm still not sure that we'll do it. But I'll tell you that it wasn't the cost that shooed me away from the DDP because I was totally willing to pay a premium over the cost of the food for the convenience of having it pre-paid. It was the lack of flexibility, much of which is addressed with these changes, that made us decide not to do it.

And don't forget......tipping (in most cases) is not included in the DDP. I don't want to get into a touchy subject but I just wanted to state that for the record. If you aren't used to the DDP it is easy to overlook the fact that a TS meal for even two adults can add up to be easily over $100. You can do the math for the tip. We always have a bunch of Disney gift cards that I buy up ahead of time to pay for tips when we are on the DDP. You can guestimate what your total bill would have been and buy cards accordingly.

And don't forget......tipping (in most cases) is not included in the DDP. I don't want to get into a touchy subject but I just wanted to state that for the record. If you aren't used to the DDP it is easy to overlook the fact that a TS meal for even two adults can add up to be easily over $100. You can do the math for the tip. We always have a bunch of Disney gift cards that I buy up ahead of time to pay for tips when we are on the DDP. You can guestimate what your total bill would have been and buy cards accordingly.

I had a crew of six, four of them adults, on my last trip. I had to set aside a good forty bucks a TS meal for this. Over ten days this was about $400.00 in tips. KA-CHING! It sure adds up fast!

Effective May 31 at quick service restaurants and select merchandise locations (listed below), Guests may substitute one Meal entitlement for up to 3 eligible Snack plan items within the same transaction, is what you are referring to, then you read it differently than I do.
Yes, that is the quote I was referring to. Since the only places listed are merchandise locations or snack only locations, I assumed that all quick service restaurants are included, plus these additional places. Maybe that is naive of me? :) Luckily, I don't travel until Sept, so hopefully, this will all be much clearer by then.

What is the point of child QS pricing if they are now "officially" free to order from the adult menu? Just this change alone will cost Disney $$ as just one adult meal/drink/dessert costs more than the daily plan for kids. So, for $16 you could potentially get meals worth around $45/day/per child. This is a fantastic deal for families with kids under 10 but how fair is it for families with kids 10 and over who have to pay full price for their qs plans for basically the same choices in meals? They are not getting anything more. Disney runs the risk of alienating families of all adults from purchasing this plan who may feel they are subsidising the kid's plan. They probably have plans to increase the price but by how much more since it is already difficult to justify $42/day. My family has never considered purchasing the qs ddp but if we ever did, this change alone would probably make me go oop.

You forget that many people took advantage of the loophole. People have already been getting their children an adult meal on a childs cs credit. Maybe the price will go up but not because of the changes. Probably because of prices generally going up

Oh man, so many more calories will be accounted for this December during our trip with the snack change!

Once this is 'official', we need a new snack credit list!

Obviously speculation on price changes for children's plans is just that...speculation. I personally question how much the change will affect Disney's bottom line on the QSDP at least. The ability to use child QS credits for adult meals has been there for a long time and was common knowledge to most anyone who put any effort into planning. While some people who knew but didn't want to break/bend rules may now take advantage of this and the non-planners may now learn about this ability, I wonder realistically how much will change.

I think a lot of people will still order kids' meals for their children even if it's not the best value, because a lot of children like those options and the portion sizes are more reasonable. I also think those who choose to order all adult meals will end up splitting/sharing their meals throughout the day and thus ordering more breakfasts and snacks which may increase Disney's profit margin.

So, while there certainly could be a dramatic price increase in store, I don't know that there would have to be for Disney's profits on the plan to be just as good as they are now.

I agree with you. A lot of people will continue to have their kids order off of the children's menu because that is what their kids like. I bet Disney has already analyzed the data and has made this decision because they are still turning a profit with the DDP. Personally, I believe that Disney believes that if they officially make the plan more flexible in a manner that it is already being utilized, more people will purchase their packages. I think that Disney has been trying to find ways to make what is not an all inclusive vacation package much more attractive, and this is one of those ways. The DDP should have turned WDW vacations into all inclusive trips, but when Disney cut out the appetizer and the tip, the plan no longer was the no-brainer it started out to be. I love dessert and we tend to order them often, but not everyone is as enchanted with those big ol cupcakes as we are! Once folks decide that they can eat cheaper if they skip the DDP, they also start spending their money off site. Now that may be because they purchase groceries to stretch their food dollar, or perhaps they go to offsite establishments for meals, but the result is the same. Vacation dollars are trickling out of Disney coffers. Not all guests are "captive audiences) by stepping off the plane onto Magical Express, making the escape to less expensive alternatives much easier.

No, I think that while Disney is probably not going to go back to the DDP that allows both an appetizer and dessert, or even one that gives a carte blanche opportunity to swap one for the other, they have determined that they need to be more flexible if they intend to expand their market. Not many people want to leave money on the table by throwing away unused credits or desserts, so they needed to do something.

The lack of technology in the Booths might make a difference, for sure.

But Disney should figure a way to get that to work.

I'd gladly purchase the DxDP if the math works.

And it would seem safe to assume that people who purchase DxDP, in particular, are some of the very audience that enjoys the foodie adventure of F&W.

But if I'm visiting for F&W, and cannot utilize snack credits at a booth - the math falls apart again, if for no other reason than the difficulty eating around the world and having 3-squares a day prepaid.

During free dining we save substantially with the DxDP, but because 1TS lunch and an evening signature is how we would dine every day without the plan.

For us:

$165 Average for 3-courses @ a Signature Location. (7:45PM)
$75 Average for 3-courses @ a 1TS lunch location. (12:00PM)
$20 Average daily in snacks in the parks.
$10 equivalent in resort soft-drinks
$275 Daily Average OOP

The only thing we would do different without the dining plan is splitting an appetizer.
So to upgrade from plus dining to deluxe dining, it saves us over $100 per day compared to out of pocket.

We did it during food and wine, all of our snack credits went toward the booths and we dropped breakfast. We'd do the showcase early when they opened, a noon ADR and then a 8:00 signature.

Last edited:
Well, this should be interesting for sure. It seems there will be lots of question asking at the counters. Hmmm....longer wait lines? We took the room discount this time around. I like the ability to eat whatever, wherever we want. It works out to be about the same or maybe less, since we sometimes share a meal or appetizer. Good luck to everyone....I hope it works out well for you all.

During free dining we save substantially with the DxDP, but because 1TS lunch and an evening signature is how we would find every day without the plan.

For us:

$165 Average for 3-courses @ a Signature Location. (7:45PM)
$75 Average for 3-courses @ a 1TS lunch location. (12:00PM)
$20 Average daily in snacks in the parks.
$10 equivalent in resort soft-drinks
$275 Daily Average OOP

The only thing we would do different without the dining plan is splitting an appetizer.
So to upgrade from plus dining to deluxe dining, it saves us over $100 per day compared to out of pocket.

We did it during food and wine, all of our snack credits went toward the booths and we dropped breakfast. We'd do the showcase early when they opened, a noon ADR and then a 8:00 signature.
Please show your math.

Let's just start with $165 for 3-course Signature dinner.

How can you spend $165 for items covered by DxDP for 1 person?

Please show your math.

Let's just start with $165 for 3-course Signature dinner.

How can you spend $165 for items covered by DxDP for 1 person?

It's for two people.
We're totaling $275 a day on average with three courses at a 1TS and a 2TS, 2 snacks and two soft drinks at the resort.

$109.53/adult/night DxDP full rate
$48.89/adult/night DxDP during free dining with a moderate stay.

$275/couple/day average
$219.06/couple full rate DxDP
$97.78/couple DxDP during free dining w/moderate resort

We generally do a 12:00 lunch and then an 8:00 dinner, so despite being three courses, there's an eight hour split between meals for us so no gorged feeling. During that eight hour split = our two snack options.

If it is decided that F&W booths will be able to convert QS to snack credits, and that is definitely an IF, you would have to use all 3 snack credits in one transaction. So for example, you couldn't use 10 QS credits to sample one item from 30 different booths or even two items from 15 different booths. Just something to keep in mind for those really getting their hopes up for what this means in festival terms.

Okay people, so what does this mean for BREAKFAST QS credits? If you can now sub a side for the drink or dessert entitlement, do you think the dessert entitlement comes back for breakfast? Right now, if you use your QS for breakfast, you only get the entree and drink; you forfeit the dessert part since there aren't desserts at breakfast. What do you think???

That would be my question as well. Right now we don't use the QS credits for breakfast because it's better to use it for lunch or dinner and either pay OOP or bring breakfast items with us from home or order from GG. If you could get your entree, drink and a side item at breakfast we would reconsider using QS credits for breakfast.

I think most people would love to get two snack entitlements with a breakfast entree. More breakfast items are being defined as snacks so it would make sense and cause people to not think their credits are wasted on breakfast. These changes seem to be more about increasing flexibility rather than adding value...but if Disney is going to stop charging extra for cheese to go with a pretzel or some ice cream on your cronut, maybe they will throw in a few strips of bacon or a muffin to make people happy. After all, even with an additional entitlement, breakfast generally would be the cheapest meal of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter