• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not Official: Big Changes to Disney Dining Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JZCubed

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
UPDATED: see Sticky

http://www.disboards.com/threads/changes-to-dining-plans-may-june-2015.3415458/

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/changes-taking-place-to-the-disney-dining-plans/

Looks like:

-- Snacks - you will get more snack for your credits.

-- Qwik Serve - desserts can get substituted (huge for people with diabetes, etc.).

-- Qwik Serve meal can be swapped for 3 snacks.

-- Qwik Serve adult & child can be swapped (confirming the loophole).

-- Table Service - desserts can get swapped for soup, salad, fruit plate (again, huge for many dietary restrictions).

-- Table Service - you can use as many credits as you wish to pay for someone else not on dining plan (this might make math work for many families who do not eat 3-squares per day on DxDP, but travel with friends/family for a portion of their trip).

Last edited:
I read somewhere that starting today the snacks include some of the candy apples and a few other items.
Or is this a different subject entirely?

I'm anxiously awaiting the official announcement! I think there are some interpretation issuses so far; some difference between what they say and what it actually means. But, I wonder if this will help out at the Boathouse; if you could trade dessert for a side.

All positive changes, IMO.

This is another indication to me that they are doing away with free dinng. They are actually increasing the value of the dining plan in order to encourage people to purchase it in the future when free dining goes away. I don't think they would be incurring additional cost if they were going to continue to give it away.

My opinion of course.

I'm anxiously awaiting the official announcement! I think there are some interpretation issuses so far; some difference between what they say and what it actually means. But, I wonder if this will help out at the Boathouse; if you could trade dessert for a side.
Given all the dietary restrictions some people have, the ability to swap some items is huge.

Since my high-blood sugar, there is no way to ever consume all the desserts, and this makes math for any dining plan unworkable for my family.

Also, if we travel a portion of our time with grandparents, we might be able to use all the meal credits, otherwise, 3-squares per day is just not possible for us and we eat at too many Signatures to not have DxDP.

In other words - if what we're reading is accurate - Disney is making their dining plans better by having greater flexibility.

All positive changes, IMO.

This is another indication to me that they are doing away with free dinng. They are actually increasing the value of the dining plan in order to encourage people to purchase it in the future when free dining goes away. I don't think they would be incurring additional cost if they were going to continue to give it away.

My opinion of course.
Your opinion makes good sense.

If this pans out, I'll be one super happy mama! Id already done the math and we paid for our dining plan for fall (better deal for us to use a discounted room and tickets) and this will mean I DEFINITELY made the right choice!

I'm anxious to hear the details on using the plan to pay for others. We are going to be a party of 11 staying in two rooms. Based on this, we could get the Deluxe plan for one room and share the credits across the group to pay for all of our table service meals. This may actually allow us to save some money overall.

Then I'll have to use my abacus again and determine if it makes financial sense.
Disney wouldn't do it if it didn't make financial sense. It looks like they are giving a lot in these changes and I'm certain that it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

I'm very happy with these changes. :)
Especially the option to swap desserts for other sides and the ability to convert quick service meal credits into snacks.

I have never used the DP because it never made sense for us. Just looking at what the DP's include we knew it was way too much food and we can save quite a lot by eating breakfast and some lunches in the room.

I really wish they would have more dining plan options as in opting for three snacks and one TS meal a day or something like that or just a way to make them more customizable. I might be interested in one then. Although, some of the new options mentioned here, if they turn out to be accurate, does make the DP a little more interesting for me.

This will entice a certain segment of folks to buy the dining plan/full package that would otherwise not do so, and potentially make staying on-site more appealing to those on the fence if paired with a good promo. Obviously, more dining plan sales is a good thing for Disney because it keeps the vacation dollars on property, even if it means they loose out on the folks who used to leave dining credits behind. I think they will make up the loss after they do the typical raise in price next year, and do-away with the free dining plan promo. Given how many people claim that can't do Disney without FD, eliminating it just opens the doors for the first-time/once-a-generation visitor target market.

I've never done DDP, even when I was gobbling every dessert in sight, but now that I'm cutting down on the sweets, it's really not practical for me. If the soup/salad substitution is a go, I might re-evaluate.

No question, whatever Disney does, it will make financial sense for them. But it still might not be financially beneficial for all guests.

Wow, I would love to be able to sub dessert for a salad or soup! People have been asking for this for years. My DH (former waiter) just pointed out that it would be in Disney's best interest as well, as it would allow for faster table turnover.

I"m also concerned about how much they are going to hike the price to allow this though....

I hope this is true for our trip in June. I am just not a big sweets person, but would love a salad, soup or fruit plate! I was wondering why a park that has Mickey Check meals to promote healthy eating in kids would only offer dessert as an option for adults and kids on the dining plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter